Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• hi, GeorgeD98

Do you mind tell me how often time wise(?monthes) that you change oil for 10K change intervals? Do you have to stick with 3 month peroid? 10k for 3 month is a lot of driving.

Thank you
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    Icm8, my 2007 Lexus RX 350 does the same thing.
    I thought that was a characteristic of Toyota/Lexus transmissions, but after hearing that you're experiencing the same thing in the
    Maxima, I'm not so sure now why these cars drive like this!
    P.S. I have the 5-speed automatic, no CVT tranny.
  • I am trying to buy a 2002 maxima SE from a private seller. The car drives and looks fine, it has New Struts and Motor Mounts due to engine vibration. others parts are claimed all original. Now comes my question: I found there are no VIN# on any of the doors, hood and trunk . Is this normal for Nissan Maxima? Any 2002 SE owner can confirm this? Thanks!!
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    I've got an 02 SE. The vin # is on a tag at the front of the dash. You can see it from outside of the wind shield. I think it's on the drivers side. I'm not looking at it right now but I will confirm later.
  • I just did my 90k Service on my 2001 Maxima GXE. I complained about a noise in my A/C and the dealer checked it and says something wrong with the A/c and it needs to be replaced.. Is it common for an A/c to go wrong? If yes, can I get a better deal outside a dealership?with the dealer its costing about $850! I am really confused! Please help.

Thanks
  • get a 2nd opinion!!! if all its doing is making a noise, but it was working fine.. why would u completely change it out?? go to a local mechanic and get their opinion... plus they'll prbably fix it at less than 1/2 the cost..
  • Having some issues with the car starting.
    Engine starts and run fine for about 30-45 minutes.
    Once the car gets a little warm, it starts making sputtering sounds as if it's going to cut off. Sometimes it does cut off, and sometimes it doesn't.
    One thing for sure is once you cut the car off, it will not crank back up for about an hour or two. When you turn the ignition it sounds like it wants to crank up, but it won't.It actually sounds like it's being flooded. I have spent $900 bucks taking it to a shop; yet they still cannot fix the problem.
    Anyone has any ideas what it maybe?.
  • Another Updated !!!!!!!! 33K TROUBLE FREE miles.... No brake changes... (Maxima 2 at 9k and 22K miles) NO brake rotors changes (Maxima 2...at 9K another at 22 K) NO Shock Absorber change (Maxima 3 front 1 rear in 36K) ... For the one said something about Turbos.... My Volvo is not turbo. Overprice Ford.... Its overprice Mazda too... both previously experiences with both brands still betters by a lot, my Nissan Maxima 2005 experience. Maxima looks to me to be the overpriced trouble car... ($35K vs Volvos $29K ). Honestly I still no miss my Nissan..... :)
  • My godmother has an 04 Maxima SE. Shes at 86k miles and the only problem she has had was her accident. Even afterwards, the Maxima is still trouble free. It still looks and drives new... Except for the clouding headlights covers.

I honestly dont believe the Maxima has that many problems as soooo many people say on the internet. In fact, I stopped believing the whole CRAPPY VW thing when the new jetta/rabbit only have 1recall and 4tsbs. My accord has about 75tsbs.

-Cj
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    anyone seen the 09 maxima?? wow.. its good looking... reminds me a lil of the G35 sedan.... with nice smooth lines... i might be back as a Maxima fan!

fyi - i have a 2k maxima
  • jdubbs4jdubbs4 Posts: 3
    They recommend every 10K miles or one year, whichever comes first. Typically, the average is 1k miles a month, so that would obviously be 10 months. Just depends how much driving your doing.

FYI: It is smart to check your oil frequently, because some manufacturers tell you right in your manual that your car can actually consume up to a quart of oil a month. Most cars do not typically burn that much oil, but it is possible.
  • dfridfri Posts: 5
    I have a 2002 Maxima GLE. Pretty much loaded. 183,000 all highway miles. My wife drives 100 miles round trip for work. Car is clean. Few wear marks on the front bumper and front of the hood from being on the highway so much. Champagne color.

Wondering what I might be able to get for it. Hoping around $6000. Any opinions???

Thanks
  • jdubbs4jdubbs4 Posts: 3
    Go kbb.com and nada.com and price it out. That'll give you the best idea.
  • mymaxmamymaxma Posts: 1
    UHmmm, don't believe this to be rail dust problem, that usually occurs within 1 year, my 04 maxima is white, Garaged,and washed/waxed regularily is covered with tiny pinhead sized orange (rust) dots!! rial dust? it is even on all the plastic body parts as well, i BELIEVE its the Metal In the metallic between the layers in the paint, hence the reason they do not come off? Nissan should be correcting this problem not telling customers its a "rail Dust problem!!
  • bigtonykbigtonyk Posts: 1
    HI I HAVE A 86MAX WITHY 33000 MI ON IT GOT IT NEW NOW I NEED PARTS FOR IT AND THE DEALER TELLS ME THAT HE CANT GET ANY THING THAT I NEED LIKE DOOR REG AND GLOVE BOX,LIGHT SW WITH CR.CONTROL ANY HELP THAT I CAN GET WILL BE HELPFUL TONY
  • I am thinking of buying a used Maxima, something between 2005- 2007. Can anyone tell me if any of these years had brake dust issues? I know the older ones had it, I just don't know if that problem was fixed.

Thanks!!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    With all due respect, "brake dust issues" should be at the bottom of your list of priorities when considering a used Maxima or any other car.

Also, for what it's worth, the best performing cars - Porsche, BMW, etc. - all have a good amount of brake dust that goes along with their exceptional performance. If the pads are so hard or of a composition that doesn't generate brake dust, they are either $8,000 ceramic brakes or soemthing that doesn't perform very well. My TL 6-speed that came with standard Brembo brakes has twice as much dust as our MDX and stops twice as well. A very acceptable trade off, IMO. So if washing your wheels is an unacceptable chore, you might want to consider a Camry. Or a 911GT2 with ceramic brakes for a bit more money.
  • Would anyone have an idea where the windshield washer pump is located on a 96 Maxima?

Thanks
  • Would anyone have a clue as to how make the music id system work on the cd player or the rds radio stations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! With the exception of not being able to enjoy this feature I love this car! Well except for the picky nav system

Thanks
  • In 2005 some Maxima's came with front and rear heated leather bucket seats with a center console from front to back.
    How many were produced and in what color combinations?
    I like this package, what was the package called and did it have a package ID # in the VIN or Monronie's sticker?
    Kirk
  • alexstorealexstore Posts: 264
    Its called elite package and it was available starting 2004 m.y. I am not sure if it was limited to some colors. It also came with power shade.
    I find it useless for a family car not to have folding seats but each person is entitled to their own opinion
  • I am looking to purchase a 2002 Maxima SE with only 26,000 miles. It was an older couples car and a peach.

Could you let me know a few things about your 2002 GLE??

1. Do you use premium fuel and if not how does it run on Regular 87
    2. Do you know what you get for gas mileage
    3. Have you had and significant mechanical issues?? If so, what?
    4. Would you recommend this car

Thanks for any help you might offer me.

Dennis
  • Well, U failed to mention the price and the peach doesn't exactly say what the cars condition is. Ur peach and my peach may be to differents peaches. Are there records to back up the service that was done? Price is also very important.
  • maxfreekmaxfreek Posts: 1
    the knock sensor is between the heads below the intake....you must remove intake to get to it ..not a problem had 1 bolt ...however i have replaced without removing intake...if u can get a wrench between the heads u can remove ...hope this helps..btw ..i wouldnt pay to have this done
  • goodole1goodole1 Posts: 3
    Thank you for your response. I meant to shut this article down as the car caught on fire about two months ago. My housemate was heartbroken. However, all is not lost. she got a very attractive offer from the insurance company because the car was certified and not a mark on it.. we got her another Nissan Maxima but it was a used 2008 with 3000 miles. But she's very happy.
  • jackson48jackson48 Posts: 1
    I have a Maxima 02, replace o2 sensor back of cat converter and cleared codes and only to have the check engine return on after about 51mi what could be the problem? do I need to replace both 02 sensor.
  • texan1texan1 Houston , TexasPosts: 6
    Hi I am newcomer here. I have a 97 Maxima GXE and my mechanic told me I need to replace Steering Gear Assembly, Valve cover gaskets on both banks and oil pan gaskets. How much all these items costs? Can anyone have these things done then please provide me what is the reasonable cost for each one. Thanks.
  • texan1texan1 Houston , TexasPosts: 6
    yes I have the same thing doene about 4 months ago. They replaced one and after few hours light came on. He replaced the second o2 sensor and it cleared the light. Its very expensive.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    I have an 06 Maxima with Auto Climate Control, and every time it set it to auto it puts the A/C on, even in winter. Anybody know why or if this can be adjusted? What goofball decided that auto should mean turning on the A/C when it is 15 degress outside?
  • I have an 07 Maxima SL and the auto climate control does the same thing. You have to manually turn off the Ac each time. The Ac is being used in the winter time just to reduce moisture in the car, not as a cooling function(when your heater is on). My 07 Prius with automatic climate control also does this. There is nothing I can see in the owner's manual on how to turn off this feature permanently. This is probably a safety feature on most cars with automatic climate control to prevent the windshield from fogging up on humid days.