Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Here is a site that lets you plug in your old and new tire sizes and it tells you what the speed difference would be. I may have got it from someone on this board (Thanks) but I can't remember. Don't let the miata name throw you off. It works for all tires.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Posts: 46
    I will most likely replace my Potensa's with the Michelin Pilot Sports, (I think that's the model) before next winter. I have read on Tirerack .com that these are the best I'm going to get for my '01 Max - there are a lot of reviews on that site. It will be very expensive, probably over a grand after ballance, align, etc, etc but from what I read and hear, these are the best - excellent wet as well as dry. Probably won't be "great" for snow but, either were the Potensas.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I installed four new Michelin Pilots on my 99 Mazda 626 ES V6. The tire size was P205-60 HR-15.

The tires have been excellent so far, but the ride is very firm. Also, they wear rather quickly and you must rotate them frequently, about every 5K miles, or the front ones will wear out in half the time as the rear ones. I do not expect more than about 35K miles from mine, although Sears gave me 50K tread wear warranty on these.

Expect less mileage for a V rated tire, and nobody will give you any tread wear warranty on that one.

One other tire I can recommend is Toyo Proxess. I also like Michelin MXVs which are softer riding than Pilots.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    My 1995 Maxima SE came with Eagle RSA 215-60HR 15". I replaced them at 55k miles with the same tire and then at 110k miles with the Toyo Proxess in July 2001. After 30k miles on the Toyos, they seem to be wearing about the same as the RSA's and offer comparable or slightly better handling. They cost me $361.40 for a set of four, including balancing and mounting ($79 per tire alone).

Frankly, I believe anywhere near $1,000 for set of tires for a FWD Maxima (let alone with only 15" wheels) is a big waste of money. That's more than a set of top of the line "Y" rated S-03 Pole Position tires for my Honda S2000. That's also more than replacement tires for an M3 or 540i 6-speed.

I love my Maxima, but a sports car it is not. There are very good tires out there that will run $400-$500 or less including balance and mounting. Putting a set of $1,000 tires on a Maxima isn't going to turn it into something it isn't.
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    I recently purchased a set of these to replace the
    Potenza RE 92's which were OEM on my SE.

Critique: These are ultra high performance tires
    which have proven to be excellent on wet roads
    even at interstate speed limits (and slightly above) They have a treadwear rating of 400 (which
    is great for this level of tire) and a heat rating
    of AA. If you choose a tire of this nature, expect
    tradeoffs. They do ride noticeably "harder" and they are "noisier" than I expected they would be.
    I have not had them on the Max long enough to truly
    assess how they are wearing. Would I buy this tire
    again? Probably not! In spite of their pluses, they
    are too noisey to suit me. I would more than likely
    go back to a "V" rated tire or a high quality "H"
    rated tire in lieu of these. Just my two cents....

berbel
    I absolutely agree with habitat1 when it comes to spending a lot of money on ultra high performance tires for a Maxima. I chose a set of Toyo Proxes TPT tires as replacement for my 98 Maxima original Toyos and they provide good quiet ride and decent handling. As I mentioned in the post above, I have a set of Michelin Pilots on my Mazda 626 and they are a lot harsher riding tire than the Toyo, plus they wear out a lot quicker. I got 58K miles out of the original Toyos on my Maxima. Do not expect more than 35K miles out of the Michelins Pilots on the Mazda. The total cost of four Toyos (P215-55HR-16) was about $ 460 including mounting and balancing.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    i just recently put a set of Dunlop A2's on my 2000 maxima gle with the 16in wheels and paid exactly $502 ..which includes tires, balancing, stems and taxes. so far, i've only put 500 miles on them and am very happy with them... not that i put too much thought into the tires.. afterall, it's only tires.. i would never spend 1000 bucks for tires.. that's why i didn't look at the Pilot sports... hope that helps
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    I agree with Habitat as well but with odd size and availability of the tires for the 00-03 SE 17 inchers they are expensive. Stay away from the Potenza when its time to replace they are expensive and tend to have a balancing problem I too had that issue on my new 03 Max.
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Posts: 46
    Sorry all. I originaly posted my tire size as 225 50 15. I meant 17.
    Well, anyway, thanks s for the input. I have read that the ride is harsh with the Pilots which could be tough as the ride over bumps is already harsh - my Max is an SE. I've got just over 24K on the Potenzas now and, should make 30K. Never had a balance problem with them. Rotate and ballance every 6 - 7K. What I have read, (mostly on TireRack.com is that the Pilots do have a better wear rating than the Potenzas and I believe, the Goodyears as well. I'll have to see what my wallet tells me when the time comes. I know a grand is a lot for tires but the Pilots are really supposed to be a good and very safe tire in the wet as well as the aformentioned long wearing nature.
    Thanks.
  • giant56giant56 Posts: 9
    I do notice that the Potenzas are a little choppy at 70-80 mph. I wonder if it is the air or lack of air that is in the tire(s). Should I follow the air pressure recommendation on the tire or the one located in my vehicle? My 98 Max SE w/16 Pirellis had a better ride and I am a little confused by this. Thanx in advance for any response.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    A tire is manufactured to be used (potentially) on lots of different vehicles.

Each vehicle has it own specific design requirements so the correct answer to your question it to always follow the vehicle manufacturers requirements.
  • da763da763 Posts: 14
    For what it's worth, I recently replaced the RE92s on my 2000 Max SE with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. All 4, from the Tire Rack, with shipping, mounting and balancing, came to just under $1,000.

They are noisier than the RE92s in dry weather, but the grip in all weather conditions is significantly better than the Bridgestones. Strangely, they did seem to quiet down after a few hundred miles - maybe they need to warm up and get broken in?

I was very happily surprised at how well they did in the snow (I live in Northern Virginia). Whereas the RE92s were absolutely hopeless in snow or slush conditions (felt like I was driving on ice all the time), the Michelins gave me great confidence. Considering the winter we had, I'm even happier with my decision to sink the big bucks on them.
    Recommend you rotate your tires at least every 5K miles for even wear. I did not do this for about 15K initial miles with my Michelin Pilots and was surprised to see that the front tires were halfway worn while the rear ones were like new. I guess this may work two ways. If you do not rotate the tires all, you will probably go through two front tires for each rear tire. The rear tires always last much longer on any front wheel drive car, especially one with fairly strong engine.
  • st_pust_pu Posts: 74
    How Nissan Maxima 2004 designers managed to get 40 feet for Turning Diameter if Maxima 1999 had Turning Circle: 34.8 ft.? Dimentions are not so different: Length: 193.5 in. Width: 71.7 in. for maxima 2004, and Length: 189.4 in. Width: 69.7 in. for Maxima 1999
    I bet the larger turning diameter has a lot to do with larger wheels/tires on the 2004 Maxima. I know that 99 Maxima used 15 inch wheels for GXE and GLE, and 16 inch for SE. The 2004 model wheels are 18 inch for SE (not sure for the SL, but I think they are 17 inch), Larger wheels/tires mean less clearance between the tire/inner fender when turning, so the turning angle of each wheel had to be reduced, hence the larger turning diameter.

A good example of how large wheels/tires will increase turning diameter is my 95 Nissan SE V6 king cab 4x4 pickup. It came with huge 31 X 10.5-R15 tires (these are even bigger than P265 R75-15) from the factory. To provide sufficient clearance, they use wheel stops on the truck frame that prevent front wheels from turning beyond certain point. This truck has a turning diameter like a bus! It can be annoying sometimes, especially because when the wheel hubs contact the metal stops, there is a grinding metallic noise like someting is breaking apart. If I went with smaller tires, like P235 -75 R15, I could adjust the wheel stops for a much tighter turning diameter.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Posts: 186
    Hello Townhall, it's been a while!!

I'm interested in getting the wood grain covers for door arm rests, dash covers, etc. Any suggestions where I might find such at a reasonable price. Is this stuff recommended? What are some of your feelings about this stuff. My husband has it on his path, but it came that way, but he really likes it.

Nice to be back.
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    I personally think it looks nasty, and actually dismissed buying an Olds Bravada because it comes on all of them.

I've read a lot on maxima.org, etc., and the 2-3 posters I've seen who installed it all wished they hadn't. I have your car's twin (Grey Lustre 2003 SE), and I couldn't imagine ruining the black and titanium interior with plood. Ugh, no!

But, YMMV. :)
  • prayerforprayerfor Posts: 161
    Our '03 Max SE came with the wood trim kit. At first I thought I wouldn't like it for being too tacky and obviously fake. I actually like it and think it looks quite nice, and IMHO it succeeds at taking the interior upscale a bit.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd install about half the pieces and leave the other half off. The ones I'd put on are the center console pieces and the door switch pieces; the ones I'd skip are the side vent covers, the pieces that are left and right of the steering column below the gauges, and the clock piece. I'd basically use the big pieces and skip the smaller ones.

Not sure where to source the kits though.
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    You hit it on the nose bud as far as the turning diameter, it is do to excatly what you said. The 00/01 with 17 inch rims, 02/03 SE's and 04's all have that horrible 40 ft turn radius.
  • ssn171ssn171 Posts: 4
    Nissangirl

My parents just put in a wood dash kit in their 2000 SE several weeks ago. I would suggest getting a molded kit if you decide on getting one. They look much better IMHO but cost more. I think my Dad got it from autoanything.com By the way, I posted some pics of their new dash at http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=339589

Sean