Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• I just got a 03 Maxima SE;
    3 Questions, if I may...
    1. Can I use a 02 Maxima Oil Filter on a 03 Maxima? I understand the engine is similar if not the same...
    2. Is it true I have to have my first oil change on 1000 miles to remove any metal shaving in the engine? Or has the engine been primed already and I can change the oil on 3750 miles?
    3. Why is it so dog gone inconvienent to change the oil when compared to other japanese vehicles???
  • kvsm3kvsm3 Posts: 32
    DA763,
    I also live in northern VA and replaced my Goodyear RSAs after 50K miles with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Ihave a 99 SE. Costco had a sale in Jan and I paid $763 including all taxes, mounted and balanced including lifetime tire rotation and balancing.
    The tires were great during the Feb snowstorm and I feel it rides very smooth but has a slight "hum" on smooth roads which doesnt bother me. The handling is so much nicer than the RSAs.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    They use special break-in oil at the factory in new engines. So do not change your oil until 3000 miles. The 02 and 03 Maxima oil filters should be identical. You can check this in any auto parts stores or call Nissan dealer parts department to make absolutely sure.
    I have a 98 SE and always change my own oil. In a way, this vehicle is interesting because you do not need to jack up the car to change the oil. On the 98, I simply turn the wheels sharply to the right, remove the plastic splash shield, and everything is accessible. The only irritating thing is the splash shield plastic retainers which are really not made to be reused many times and on some of these I have to use an extremely stubby Phillips screwdriver because there is no room. Also, Nissan recommends changing the oil pan drain plug metal washer every few oil changes. This is a collapsible washer and costs only $ 1.50 a piece!!!! (from the dealer). What a ripoff!!!!

I had Japanese vehicles (e.g. 92 Mazda Protege), which were far more difficult to change oil filter on than the Maxima. Replacing my 95 Nissan V6 pickup oil filter is also pain in the neck because you can only access the oil filter from above and to remove it, you have to turn the filter to squeeze it between the exhaust manifold and rigid metal A/C tubing, spilling the hot oil from the filter in the process all over the engine skid plate. I always burned my knuckles on the hot manifold, so I never change oil when the engine is hot on this truck anymnore. Mazda Protege was even worse because even if you had to car on a garage high lift, you had to place your entire forearm between hot exhaust pipe and the rear of the engine block to get to the filter. I burned my arm almost every time on the hot exhaust.
    In comparison, it is a lot easier to change the oil and filter on the Maxima.
  • selrhacljselrhaclj Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 02 Glacier Pearl GLE with 6 CD, TCS, spoiler and heated steering wheel. This vehicle had on 97XX miles. Despite a couple of scratches this car is in excellent condition. Purchased from private owner for $20K. I think this was a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?
    Sounds like a good deal to me. The MSRP on this car was at least $ 30,000. The mileage is low for a year old car. The car is still covered by the factory warranty for another 26K miles/2 years. If there is no collision or a lemon history on the car, you got a good deal in my opinion. The best price you could get on a new 03 GLE equipped like this would be about $ 25K.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    sounds like you got a loaded GLE with no Nav... for $20K, i think it's a good deal.... wish i could find a deal like that for a 2k2 or 2k3 and i'll get rid of my 2000 GLE. just make sure the car wasn't in any accidents or else it won't be that great of a deal anymore...
  • georged98georged98 Posts: 34
    I have a 2002 Maxima GLE without the Nav system. Does anyone have any recommendations for aftermarket GPS systems? Garmin and Magellan are two systems that look good but how do they compare to built in systems? The Garmin has a small screen and costs around $800-900. The magellan looks larger but has a price of around $1900. Can a NAV system be installed at the dealer?
    Thanks for your help.
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    I've actually spent the last week looking at GPS systems, and I decided on the Garmin GPS V. They're going at Amazon.com for $375, plus a $75 rebate directly from Garmin.

It doesn't have the voice and color like the more expensive ones do, but should work out nicely (I just ordered it yesterday).

If you're going to be using it exclusively for the car and do a ton of interstate driving with multiple stops off in major cities, I would probably still pony up for a more expensive system. The problem with the V is that there is a small amount of non-expandable memory built into the thing. It is ideal if you only take long road trips every so often (you upload specific cities into it from your PC before you go). It does come with a good basemap, i.e. all interstates and major highways are already in it.

The V is really designed to be equally competent in both cars *and* outdoor use. Go into a Best Buy and see what I mean; it's about half the size of the $900 Garmin you were looking at (Streets III or something). You wouldn't want to be lugging THAT bad boy around in the woods, I guarantee it; being color, it also eats batteries like candy (only a few hours, vs. 20+ on the V). But like I said, if it's exclusively for the car, it's irrelevant.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Posts: 46
    georged98,
    I own a Garmin Street Pilot 3 unit. Lucky me - recieved it as a gift. This is a very good NAV system and has voice prompts only when you use the a/c adapter - speaker is integrated into that. I have used it several times, first just testing it out around town and later started really using it in place of maps or directions on longer trips. I can tell you that I now have total faith in this thing for its ability to get me door to door in most situations, as long as you enter the correct address, intersection, point of interest, etc.. I have the 128 mb "card" in it which enables me to load a large area from the "MapSourse" CD on my home computer to the unit itself. As the previous note explained, the unit already has a "built in" map but the areas that you load from home are the deatailed ones with points of interest and addresses.
    As far as battery usage - it does eat batteries, less if you dim the screen but if you use the adapter, it does'nt matter as you will only be using batteries when you are programing in routes in the comfort of your home.
    There is a sharp learning curve to this but is worth it.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    hi there, im currently considering the new '04 Maxima 6-speed. Can anyone tell me about their reliability, since i never owned a Nissan before? And second, does anyone have any bad experience/stories about their Maximas so far?
    I'd really appreciate this, thanx
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    The Maxima historically has been one of the most reliable sedans on the market. My '92 SE is still rattle-free after 11 years, although it has had occasional problems with window lifts, power switches and CV boots. Overall an outstanding, fun-to-drive car. Most owners here would probably agree.

The 2004 is an all-new design, based on the 2002 Altima platform. Consumer Reports tested the new Maxima in a five-car near-luxury sedan comparison in the just-released July edition. CR's evaluation was generally favorable and it recommends the Max, along with the Infinity G-35. Strangely enough, the Lincoln LS was best overall in the comparo, but CR won't recommend it because of spotty reliability. Others in the test were the Saab 9-3 and the Caddy CTS.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    My newly purchsed (last week) 91 Maxi is not a bad car. Drives well, except for a weird tranny issue. Back on topic, to respond to the post about buying a 2004 Maxi.

I would also consider the Mazda6 5spd V6 - not as much brute power, but cornes better, looks better (IMO), is much cheaper and the quality is/should be the same on both. If you value smiles per miles over 0-60, that's the car to get.

Dinu
    One concern with the 04 Maxima would be the first year for the new design and also the fact that this car is US made, not Japanese made. I prefer Japanese made car over US made car any day. I have owned both Japanese and US made Mazdas and also Nissans. Without exceptions, Japanes made vehicles had fewer problems, and all American made vehicles came with misaligned wheels from the factory. All Japanese made cars had correct alignment settings, as evidenced by even tire wear, which was not the case with US made vehicles. There is no excuse for this type of lack of attention to detail.
  • bkswardbksward Posts: 93
    I have a 98 SE and always change my own oil. In a way, this vehicle is interesting because you do not need to jack up the car to change the oil. On the 98, I simply turn the wheels sharply to the right, remove the plastic splash shield, and everything is accessible

Still it doesn't beat the '84 Maxima (1st gen) that I owned 92-98. Reach under the car and remove the drain plug. Open the hood, reach down along the side of the I-6 and unscrew the filter. The hardest part of changing the oil was not dropping the drain plug into the catch pan... :-)
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    I wanna know since the 04 max came out for about a month, how many that read this website had actually bought one?
    Here is a vehicle I own that is really unpleasant to change oil and oil filters on:

1969 2 1/2 ton (deuce and a half) Army truck with a 472 cu in inline 6 cylinder multifuel diesel.

There are two drain plugs on the oil pan. You better use a large tub because the crankcase oil capacity is 22 quarts (5 1/2 gallons). There are two large oil filters canisters side by side, mounted upside down vertically on left side of the engine block. You must loosen the holddown bolt on each canister, remove the canisters, take out the old filter elements, clean the canisters, insert the new filter element in each, pry out two gaskets that are always stuck on the bottom of the canister housing and replace them with new ones. There are also two gaskets under the holddown bolts for the canisters that should be replaced.
    To access the canisters you must climb on the truck's left fender and work from there.
    And if you own a diesel you know that the oil is always pitch black (within 10 minutes after changing it and running the engine), so if you splash any on your clothes, good luck.

Changing oil on this vehicle is painful even from standpoint of spending $ 40 on oil alone.
  • buzzard4buzzard4 Posts: 43
    I'll apologize up front for the negative tone of this post. I bought a Maxima in large part due to the positive feedback I read on this board and others. Unfortunately, my experience to date has been less than positive.

It's now been 3 weeks since I bought my '03 GLE, and 2 weeks, 5 days since I drove it. I returned the car the day after I bought it because it had a vibration. Now 3 sets of replacement Bridgestone Turanzas later, the car still vibrates. Their last resort is to put on Goodyear GSDs, which is apparently the only other tire available in that size. Expensive tires, but not very good for snow, and with characteristics totally counter to the intended ride of a GLE. But since they told me that's all they're willing to do, I'm going to give it a shot.

To add to the problem, I bought the car in MD, but I live in PA. In order to file a lemon law claim, I first have to register the car in PA. To do that, I need the car.

I think what frosts me the most is Nissan's immediate focus on the tires, and their willingness to string me along for 3 weeks. That either indicates that they know they have a quality problem with their tire supplier and are trying to hide it, or they don't want to accept responsibility for a problem with the car. What really pushed me over the edge is when Nissan told me the vibration is "a characteristic of the car." Funny, I didn't see that on the sticker for their flagship vehicle.

I'll post when/if this comes to a resolution. In the meantime, if you're considering a '03 GLE, balance out the good deal you're likely to get with the fact that you'll have very limited availability of replacement tires, and according to Nissan a characteristic vibration.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Why is there limited availability of the Turanza?
    ~alpha
    "Vibration is a characteristic of the car".
    This is total nonsense. When I bought a new 98 SE, the car did not show any signs of vibration and does not to this day with 62 K miles as long as the tires are properly balanced.

Mazda told me the same BS when I had a problem with my 626. Turned out the vibration was caused by faulty CV joints/axles.
    In your case the problem appears to be just the tires. It seems to me that they cannot even balance the tires properly because chances of three sets of tires being defective are slim, unless they are "recycling" the defective tires taken off from other vehicles.

As I described elsewhere in these forums, I test drove two new 6 speed 03 SEs and both had a vibration around 60 MPH. I did not buy either car because these people no longer deserve my business. I do not need to tell you how disappointed I was since I like Maximas. They (Nissan) are well aware that they have a problem, but they chose not to do anything about it.
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    Yeah the ol Bridgestone vib has been complained to Nissan quite a bit since 00 but what have they done nothing. They continued to use that crappy tire for 4 more years on some models. go to Max org so many of us guys have had that prob and complained nothing was done, good ol Nissan service.