Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    If you go to the Maxima.org website (Pat, please don't be mad at me) you would think most people drive manual Maximas. I personally don't know how to drive a manual, but given an opportunity to learn (may be with a rental car rather than my new Max), I probably would prefer driving a manual, particularly where it does not involve a lot of stop and go city traffic.

I think driving a manual probably makes a driver more engaged with and alert to road conditions. But most people, especially here in America and women (don't call me sexiest), would like to drive automatics because of the wide roads and ease of operation. Although I don't have any empirical data to back myself, I believe most Europeans know how to drive manuals.
  • timadamstimadams Posts: 294
    Thanks for the maxima.org recommendation. According to the maxima wonks over there, about 3 percent of maximas have manual transmissions.

Bowke, I assume your post was trashed by the host. Can you summarize what percent of Maximas your dealership gets are manuals and how many you currently have on your lot? If your post # 7208 is accurate, I don't know why your previous post was deleted.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    If anyone has questions about topic management, please email me and do not post here.

Thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    At the time I bought my 1995 Maxima SE, I distinctly remember seeing an estimate that approximately 10% of 1995 Maximas were manual transmission: 0% of GLE's, 10% of GXE's and 25% of SE's.

Sounds like those numbers have drifted lower, but I would be surprised if less than 15% of the SE's of the 2002/3 were manuals. The 6-speeds were in high demand here and my dealer estimated that 20% of the SE's that they sold were 6-speeds - most at less of a discount than a similarly equiped automatic.

On the "sexist" comment, my two daughters - ages 5 & 8 - have mastered the 1-2 shift on our Honda S2000 from the passenger seat (I work the clutch). My 15 mph self imposed speed limit doesn't allow them to try the 2-3 shift. When we were doing some early shopping for an SUV replacement, my 5 year old asked the Honda sales person why a Pilot didn't have a "stick shift". His explanation didn't satisfy her and she responded (rather loadly) that we should get the BMW X5 3.0 5-speed. That raised an eyebrow or two.
  • ssn171ssn171 Posts: 4
    I've heard that the '02/'03 with manual were around 5% of production. I've also noticed that the great majority of manuals were NOT loaded - pretty much the basics only. My 6-speed is pretty rare in the sense that's it's loaded except for navigation so I feel fortunate.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Again, topic management issues - questions or comments about deleted messages and the like - need to be addressed to me via email, not posted here. Another alternative would be to email our Community Manager, Sylvia, at sylvia@edmunds.com.

Thanks.
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    Your right SSN171 they only made up about 8% of the numbers made for 02/03 which is roughly 8,000 something vehicles. Production of the Max in 02 went down from 125,000 per year to slightly over 80,000 units in anticipation of the 02 Altima. It will even less with production of the 04 to be limited to the 70-75,000 per year. How do I know I am Accountant at NIssan HDQ in, Gardena, CA.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Since you say that you are an accountant at Nissan, I would like to ask the following question: Who determines Nissan part prices? The reason I ask it because some are so outrageous that it defies any logic. For example, I wanted to replace the outside mirror base on my 95 SE V6 pickup. It is made of chromed plastic which magically started to corrode.I have to buy the whole mirror for over $ 200 if I want to fix this ugly problem. The short chain which holds the spare wheel suspended under the bed has corroded also, as it is not stainless, but merely cadmium plated carbon steel. I almost spilled my coffee when I heard what two feet of replacement chain with a bracket welded on its end costs: over $ 120! Is somebody really trying hard to make sure I never buy another Nissan again? First, they use substandard materials that corrode, then they ensure that you pay through your nose to get them replaced. For your information, heat treated cad plated 1/2 inch dia link chain, which is probably ten times stronger than the subject spare wheel chain, sells for about $ 6 a foot. You can buy 15 feet of heat treated 3/8 inch dia link tow chain with hooks on both ends for $ 20. Is there something wrong with this picture? I take pride in my truck and like to maintain it in mint condition. Nissan is not very helpful here.
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    You opened a can of worms. Go get em'!

I couldn't agree with you more. I am not opposed in
    any way to making a profit. That's what business is
    all about. But, in a huge number of cases, if you
    look at what you are receiving for the money you are spending, it (the cost) is absolutely absurd
    and beyond all reason and logic. When you question
    "why" you get totally incomprehensible "spin" like,
    "Well, that's just what it cost."

berbel
  • brymilbrymil Posts: 18
    How about $1.60 for the brass washer for the oil drain plug?? Does anyone know if a regular flat washer can be used or for that matter, any other substitute washer?
    I do not replace the special copper washers at every oil change. In fact I reuse them at least five times with no problems so far. These washers become essentially flat washers after they are compressed after first use. I believe that you could use a flat copper of aluminum washer, but it must be a tight fit around the plug threads. The interesting thing is that you need to replace flat washers as well, especially soft aluminum ones because tightening the plug cuts grooves in these washers. Note: My 98 Maxima and 95 pickup use the same washer.
    I do not replace the special copper washers at every oil change. In fact I reuse them at least five times with no problems so far. These washers become essentially flat washers after they are compressed after first use. I believe that you could use a flat copper of aluminum washer, but it must be a tight fit around the plug threads. The interesting thing is that you need to replace flat washers as well, especially soft aluminum ones becauase tightening the plug cuts grooves in these washers. Note: My 98 Maxima and 95 pickup use the same washer.
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    Well each dealers management determines their prices based on the market and anticipated volume, but they all pay the same fro the same parst to Nissan.. Nissan doesnt set the price for any dealer, that is why the prices varies from dealer to dealer even if they are owned by the same company for Instanace Bankston in Dallas which owns Lewisville/Dallas and Irving. Call each dealer for the same part and the price will be different, some high volume parts dealers like courtesy Nissan are bale to sell at discount because they do a high volume and with sales cross the country and Canada.
  • I am torn and this is the last thing I have to decide before I buy. I've always had a sunroof, but something about they Skyview is just cool...if you have one are u still glad or would you prefer the power sunroof? Thanks
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I have seen the skyview roof and I agree it looks kind of cool, at least for a while. But if you like cooling down the inside of your car quickly in the summer, the sunroof does the job very well. Also the sunroof gives you the open air motoring feel during the day (albeit a bit noisy at highway speeds)and lets you enjoy the moon and the stars at night if you recline your seats (of course with the motor off). That said, I prefer having two sunroofs, one in front and the other in the back, for everyone to equally enjoy.
  • jpellijpelli Posts: 13
    I saw this product and really liked it, so I went to their Website to order it and it's $37.00 plus 12.50 shipping for a total of 49.50!! Do any of you know where I can get this same product at a discount? Thanks.
    Joe
  • bkswardbksward Posts: 93
    So does a full size spare fit in the well in a 5th gen Max? I have a 2002 SE. Also, trying to keep it cheap, does anyone make a 17" steel wheel, or should I just find an appropriate 16" steel wheel and tire?

Advice?
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    why are u getting one that's so expensive? is there something special about it? i bought one from Target that's like that, and it's got the metal rods inside so when you open it, it pops open... i can't see paying 50bucks for a sunshade.. i think i got mine for $8 on sale.. it goes for like $12.. i'll take a pic of it in my car sometime....
  • jpellijpelli Posts: 13
    I saw one in a 03 Maxima in the parking lot here at work. Saw one also in a Passat. It's a perfect fit. Covercraft makes them for all car models. I now use a cheapie one-size-fits-all shade, but when I saw the Covercraft that's the one I wanted, just not going to pay $50. I've seen three Covercrafts now and I have a feeling those guys didn't pay $50 either. So, if there's a source for getting them cheaper, I want to find it. BTW I have a feeling if you saw one you'd want one too. Just not for $50.
    Joe
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    I've been on this board since 2000 and have never
    seen it this stagnant! What happened?

berbel