Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    I don't know. Maybe everyone is still in shock about the 04 Maxima.

I must say that it's starting to grow on me a little, if I don't pay too much attention to the front. The rear is sharp.

But, it is still way too pricey.
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I've been visiting this board pretty much daily since around late 99 early 2000 also. I still have my 2000 SE Autotragic, loaded, white with black leather, and 54K miles. Going in shop Monday for blown O2 sensor. Been pretty solid besides that, just tires and routine stuff. Ditto on the 04's being too expensive. I test drove an 04 6-sp and it was ok but didn't hit me in the gut and make me wanna trade in my 00. Yes I'd like the extra power and few more features, but for the extra $$ it'd cost, plus what I'd lose on my car with trade in, not to mention the TONS of hours I've spent washing it and waxing it and babying it. My decision has been made, next vehicle is an SUV for the wife (Murano, Pilot, QX4, something with AWD), I'll drive the 00 Max til the SUV is paid off, then I want a Z car and the Max becomes a winter beater!!
    ~seeya
  • g00chg00ch Posts: 10
    After a trudging summer here in Phoenix, and even though we are still in the 100's, I have started hitting the gas with a little more authority. I have noticed a significant loss of power when I apply more than 50% throttle in my 2000 SE 5-spd. It's significant to the point to where my head actually lurches forward when the tach hist 3300.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
    Maybe needs throttle body cleaning?? Could be fuel issue, like fuel pump or filter maybe? Bad gas? Coils? I'd try maxima.org and start asking the pros. They know more about Maxis than you'll find anywhere else. Go into the 5th gen forum and SEARCH first and then start making posts. You'll be surprised what you'll find.

~seeya
  • g00chg00ch Posts: 10
    Thanks... I will peruse maxima.org and see what I can find.
  • bemathewbemathew Posts: 33
    can you guys suggest something other than maxima.org? thanks
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Uhhh, how about right here! :D

Folks, it would be appreciated if you did not use the Town Hall to promote other automotive message boards. In fact, your Membership Agreement requires that you not do so.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    you mentioned u have a white max with black leather..how's that possible? white only came with beigh leather from what i recall unless u got aftermarket.... i remembered this because that's exactly what i wanted.. white with black leather..
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I agree that the exterior of the new Maxima is decent looking. I would have done a couple of things differently, but overall, I think it's even better looking than the G35 sedan and many of the other Japanese mid-price offerings.

The interior, on the other hand, is dissapointing. Nissan just doesn't get it. Audi does. BMW does. Mercedes does. Even Honda mostly does.

Design by MTV insipired committee is not what a lot of us who would like a $30k alternative to a $40k+ 5-series want. It's not that hard to get clean lines, quality materials and attractive ergonomics. My 1995 Maxima had it for it's day. Nissan needs to clean house when it comes to their interior design group.
  • eblumeblum Posts: 52
    I totally agree with you about their interior quality issues (based on my experience with the new Altima). They hit a home run because they were able to build a car that looks great on the exterior but then fumble when it comes to the interior quality. Some manufactures seem to be able to get all of the ingredients right...like BMW. I have to say I recently went to the Mercedes C-Spot event and drove several of the C's and was not impressed. The G35 is a better built car inside and out.

Why don't they pull some real people into these prototype review sessions so we can say "uh...do you realize that the interior looks like the plastic that was used on my 1977 Olds Omega?" And if they are using people from the public to give feedback, get some with taste! :)

I saw a story that Nissan is using customer input heavily on the new Titan pickup truck...maybe that will improve our concerns and make them see the light.
    Yep, that's what I have, a 2000 Icelandic Pearl colored SE Automatic with the stock black leather interior. It's loaded w/ all options that were available at the time. I bought in Oct/Nov of 1999 when the new design had just come out. I even have the stock 16" wheels instead of 17"ers.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    The main problem with the new Maxima is that Nissan jacked up the price beyond the budget of a lot (or perhaps even most) of the current Maxima owners. So where are the current owner's to turn - the Altima, a car with a cheaper interior and less power than the retired Maxima? I think not.
    So where are the current owner's to turn - the Altima, a car with a cheaper interior and less power than the retired Maxima?

Mazda6, Passat, Accord, GP-CompG would be my guess. If I wanted a coupe I'd check out that new Solara, has a really nice almost Lexus'ish interior. Funky looking on the outside though.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    nissan may lose a few previous maxima owners, but they will pick up alot more "others" dissatisfied owners of avalons, TLs, CTSs, LSs, etc...
    With the exception of the CTS and it's usual GM tupperware, all those have a much better interior than the new Max. My humble opinion of course.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    i disagree, but not by much...i think the max has a poorly thought out interior, but the materials are just fine to me.
  • fredleefredlee Posts: 3
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I saw posting here that MRSP for a fully loaded SE Auto is US$35K+-. However a fully loaded SE auto in Canada is listed at $37K (auto leather package)or $38K w/. sunroof. This give approx. USD equivalent of US$27K!

I assume people in US usually get deeper discount while those in northern border don't.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    In the past month or so here in southern Delaware, I see more and more '04 Maximas everywhere! My favorite is a pearl white SE with beige leather and the power sunroof just down the road--every inch is absolutely gorgeous and I'd trade one of my current cars for one in a minute. A lot of others are SL's that look almost as nice, except for the too small 17" wheels.

Actually, a lot of the "new" Nissans sell like crazy around here. '02+ Altimas are probably the most common, and best selling sedan. Muranos are becoming quite popular, too, and I just saw a sparkling new loaded silver '04 Quest and about two weeks ago, and loved it. I can see them doing very well, and should start seeing tons of them soon, maybe even as many as the new '04 Toyota Siennas.

Just thought I'd add this little tidbit on Nissan popularity. The gorgeous styling of almost every model appears to be winning over the cheap interiors in some models, big time!
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    I like that tupperware comment. I'm still not sold on the '04 yet. I like it some days and other days I don't. That front end still bugs me. I've only briefly thought of trading in my 02 SE then I quickly dismiss that notion. I don't know what demo they're marketing to but I see mostly senior folks driving the new max here in MD.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    That due to pricing and/or interior quality some prospective Maxima buyers might venture towards a Solara or Pontiac. One drives like a Buick the other is built like one. As much as I would like to see Nissan get their interior styling act together, I hope prospective buyers don't go that far in the other direction.

It still seems to me that among 4 door FWD sedans, the Maxima provides the best bang for the buck in terms of driving dynamics and performance. It's one of the few offered with a 6-speed. I'd keep my 1995 SE another 5 years before I'd go soft with a Camry Solara.

Perhaps Nissan's designers will read this thread and make some changes before it's too late.