Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Standard equipment and optional equipment are both listed here. But if you found what you need, I'm glad to hear it! :-)
  • Hi……..has anyone had a problem with a wind noise leak on their Maxima?…………..I’ve got an 03 Maxima that makes a slight swishing and whistling from a rear side window when the speed reaches or exceeds 50mph………….any thoughts would be welcome…………..Thanks, jl
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I know an 01 Maxima owner who had the same problem. Had it fixed by a Nissan dealer under warranty. I believe that it involved replacement of the window rubber seal. I wonder if Nissan has a TSB on this problem.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    was on the 2000-2002 Nissan Maxima's.

I know because I have one (2000 SE) and it was addressed through a TSB.

The TSB number is Reference # NTB01-029A, issued April 16, 2002.

If you'd like a copy (It's a six page .pdf file) let me have an e-mail address you'd like it sent to and I'll get it over to you.
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    The fix seems to be fatter seals...Had mine done twice and the noise still comes and goes. Now that it's real cold I can actually feel the leak.
  • Thanks for this information. I thought it was just my car. You are right, now that it is cold, the noise is much worse. Hopefully, the first attempt to fix with take care of it...I can hope.
  • I am not sure the title fits. I would like comments on the following. I have a 2002 SE and for the last 13K miles (bought used with 20K) I have noticed that if I floor the gas peddle when going about 30-40 mph the car will accelarate like my old 130 hp accord. At any other speed, the car accelerates forcefully. Is this normal? BTW since I purchased the car, I have been using 91 octane - I know I may be throwing my money away - but..............
  • Thanks for this information. I thought it was just my car. You are right, now that it is cold, the noise is much worse. Hopefully, the first attempt to fix with take care of it...I can hope.
  • If anyone out there can help I would really appreciate it. I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima. A mechanic did faulty work that caused the transmission to completely deteriorate. The mechanic knows he performed the faulty repair, but will not pay for it. Does anyone have information on the reliability of Nissan Transmissions? This will help me extremely in small claims court. Thanks
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I believe the 1996-99 (aka 4th gen) tranny's were pretty good. Lots of trouble in 2000-01, not sure what differences are, just going by posts I've read here and other Max boards over last few years.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    do you have traction control? if so, that may be the answer. turn it off and see what happens.
  • roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    Is not normal ! I had a vaguely similar problem
    with my '00 Max. It took 3 months for the SES light to come on. It turned out to be a bad MAF
    sensor ( replaced under warranty ). Now she's
    a rocket again.

Try checking computer codes. I hear that AutoZone
    will do it either free or for a very minimal charge.

BTW, you've got a Maxima....treat her right and give her the good stuff ...93 octane. Sometimes
    you can't always hear the pinging with the 87 & 91
    octane.
  • Anybody here have cold weather bugs with the 6th generation car?

People at Maxima.Org are complaining about poor heaters, the LCD display not working, CD skipping, etc.
  • Driving my 2000 SE (71,000 miles) tonight, the engine started running rough. When I restarted the car after being parked at a restaurant, the "SLIP" "TCS OFF" "SES" warning lights all lit up and the engine ran very rough. Help !!! What might be wrong ??
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    Virtually the exact same thing happened to my 00 Maxima SE at about 100,000 miles. I was able to limp to the dealer where they diagnosed a bad ignition coil.

I had all six replaced (they just connect at the top of each spark plug). Coils were ~$75 each.
    There are a lot of complaints about the 2004 Maximas. Vibration in the steering wheel, mediocre Bose stereo (curiously the concensus is that the 4th generation Max Bose was the best), bubbles under seat fabric, bad brake rotors, etc. I have made up my mind - my next car is Infiniti G 35. For now, my 98 Max SE 5 speed is running great and no problems. .
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I too am concerned about the quality deterioration of the Maxima, not to mention its less than impressive interior. The G35, BMW 3 & 5 series and E320CDI will be on my list when my 95 Maxima dies. Curious, since we seem to have similar tastes and concerns, have you looked at the 2004 TL 6-speed?
  • but at $5000 more than the Maxima, I'm not sure I want to spend that much. Plus, the Maxima is bigger, which is also important given the car's role as our primary vehicle.
    Unfortunately, there is no Acura dealership within 70 miles of my location. This is why I have not looked at this car. However, I read about it and it appears a good choice.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    Judging how the 04 TL is beating the 04 Max in almost every aspect, I think my next car will probably be the TL, but that won't happen till three or more years later (because my 03 Max is only a year old). Nissan has a lot of catching up to do, if it wants to beat Acura in this hotly contested near luxury market. IMHO, and I believe many will agree, the current 04 Max just won't cut it.