Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• My 2004 maxima ha been in the shop 3 times. When I hit the brakesit pulls to the left and drifts on the highway. 3 Times they said nothing is wrong with the front end! I think there is plus I think the Goodyear tires aren't the right tire for a SE
  • I have a 2k Maxima with 45000 mile. The exhaust is getting louder by the day. I don't think it is coming from the muffler, maybe the resonator. Has anyone replaced the whole system from the catalytic conveter back? If so how much? Also how much for just the stock muffler? Thanks.
    Jim
  • The muffler is Stainless Steel so that shouldn't need replacement, ever. Maybe you've got a loose connection at the exhaust mainfold or a pipe connection that's loose.

Mine's (02 SE) got 142,xxx and is still original and still sounds just like it did when new.

My 95 Maxima when totaled with 192,xxx mniles on it still had the original exhaust system as well and was in great condition.

IMO, there's a very small chance that you need a entire new exhaust system on a 2k Maxima with less than 100k.

Maxima's stock exhaust systems are very, very durable.
  • diz1diz1 Posts: 5
    Does anyone know whether you need to run premium gas in your Maxima. I am in the market for a 2000 or 2001 and with gas prices an curious if I need to burn premium or if unleaded will do fine. Thanks for the feedback.
  • rampedramped Posts: 358
    Regular is fine, but premium maximizes the engine's potential.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    O.K., another quarterly lesson on regular vs. premium. I'll try to keep this one brief.

In my area (DC) it is relatively easy to find premium gas on "sale" for 6 cents off every Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, at various Exxon, BP/Amoco, Shell or other national brand stations. On sale, the difference in price between regular and premium is usually less than 10-12 cents. That's about 5-6%.

Based upon my experience and that of others, there is ample anecdotal evidence that you will very likely lose around 5%+ in gas mileage in a Maxima dropping from premium to regular. Over the course of 153,000 miles, I have averaged 24.1 mpg on premium. A 5% loss is only 1.2 mpg.

So, if you'd rather fill up more often for less money, go ahead and use regular. But don't fool yourself that you are actually saving money. AND, although others may disagree, I do not believe that regular is as good for your engine as premium, in a vehicle like the Maxima that was designed for premium. As I said, I have 153,000 miles on nothing but premium and change my oil every 4,000 miles or less. I may be old fashioned, but the engine compression test on my 10 year old Maxima showed between 95% and 100% of a new car tolerance on all 6 cylinders. Those results speak for themselves, in my opinion.

Save money by upping your insurance deductable and driving more carefully. Not by skimping on premium gas.
    Since the gas prices went haywire last spring, and since I am getting rid of my Maxima soon anyway, I've been using exclusively regular in my '92 SE.

The mileage and performance are the same. No, I don't believe it either. I just drive it, I don't explain it :)
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    5-speed or automatic? I had to use regular once or twice due premium pumps being out of order. Where I noticed some difference in performance was under harder acceleration in the high range of the rev band (5,000+). Felt like the rev limiter was kicking in. The first thing the service manager asked me when I mentioned it was "did you use lower octane gas". He indicated the engine management systme will adjust for it, but you will notice lowered performance when the car is "pushed". He also indicated lower gas mileage would be most apparant at 70+ mph on the highway.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I sold my third gen Max last year and I can't recall whether premium gas is recommended. As for the 4th and 5th Max, I am confident that premium gas is recommended, and I have been filling up the cars only with premium.
    It's an auto. I'm sure there is some incremental power band loss, but I don't notice it.

It is going to kill me to give the car up, but month by month more things are going out (ABS, axle, struts, AC compressor is about gone) and it has passed the point where it is economically feasible to bring it back to spec. It only has 126K on it.

I have a neighbor with a similar model and, like me, he likes his SE so much that he is driving it with terminally bad valves. He figures he will keep on going until it dies. It's got about 160K on it.

I would love to buy a brand new model of exactly what I have with, of course, updated safety features. Remarkable cars.
  • My 2000 GXE has been virtually problem free for the past 4+ years. Interesting development - the fan works fine on the #3 or 4 setting. But on #1 or 2, it does not turn on at all. In fact, if I push the Recirc button when on #1 or 2, air inflow of any kind is completely blocked off.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I believe there are seperate fuses that control 1/2 and 3/4.
  • mbjbmbjb Posts: 39
    I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on a few questions. I am in the market for a new 05 and I like the maxima se. I am 6'4" and was wondering how is the leg room and head room with a sunroof. I would appreciate your answers.
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    You'll have to check it out for yourself, but I'm guessing you won't find it very comfortable. Nissans in general aren't really built for tall people; the seat cushions tend to be too short and the seats themselves don't quite back up far enough. Headroom shouldn't be a problem, though, if most of your height is in your torso you'll be fine. Post back and let us know what you find, you'll probably help someone else out.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    the headroom in the maxima is the same whether you have a sunroof or not, because of the skyview. dont listen to the naysayer in post #8364. the maxima has TONS of room. ;-)
  • has TONS of room? sounds like a line a salesman used on me
    from experience, i know that ive seen people taller than 6'4" fit quite nicely in the maxima, murano, altima...heck i even know a guy that is 6'4" that LOVES his sentra! lol
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 887
    My son is 6'3", generally only drives big Buicks, and he loves our Maxima, both as a passenger and especially driving it! I don't know if the redesign changed the interior dimenions, but the '01-'03 Maxes are very roomy inside. Lots of legroom particularly. The Sentra neither of my sons (the other is 6'2") could fit in well however!
    the new ones are bigger inside in every dimension. headroom, legroom, hiproom, etc...
  • Potential buyers please take this as a good advise:
    If you decide to by a new 2005 Maxima, make sure that you opt for the HID lights.
    The stock maximas come with 55 W hi/lo 9012 bulbs that are unique to the Maxima.
    They don't have any aftermarket replacements.
    I tried to upgrade my bulbs to PIAA's or POLARGs, and no one has the 9012 equivalent. Needless to say, that the stock lights SUCK!!! They are so weak and can only be compared to the weak lights that my 2002 mercury cougar had. I swear, my stinger flashlight is more powerful. Even with high beams, the road is poorly illuminated. My 2003 had awesome HID’s and the road visibility at night was MUCH better. Esthetically, the car does not look as good during the night w/o the HID’s. The HID's produce 3 times as much light.
    Nissan really dropped the ball on that one. 2003's were the best models.
    Overall I am disappointed by the build quality and the customer service of Nissan. Last time I went to the dealership for an oil change, I got totally screwed by that lying jackass of a dealer! I watched the mechanic through the window as he raised the car, went away, and then came back, lowered the car and drove it into the pick up area.
    No oil or filter change but I got a bill for $25. I spent 1 hour and changed it myself.
    Needless to say, they will never get my business again. I will trade it in, for a 300C or a new G35 in 5 month, no more Nissans for me.