Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    I just got a new price schedule for service costs at my dealership and the 15k basic service is $225 and premium is $275. Of course this all depends on where you live. Alignments and flushes are extra so that could account for the $342 you were quoted. A four wheel alignment any where you go is usually between $60 and $80. Also, I've always been told that those flushes don't do any more for your car and may even be worse than regular fluid changes. As far as the new tire issues, they would only be aligned if you actually got an alignment with the tires. If so, no worries.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    I never take any of my vehicles to "dealer scheduled service". I change my own oil every 3K miles and use OEM oil filters, change air filters about every 15k miles, use chevron Techron fuel cleaner every 5 k miles of so in the gas tank, change engine coolant about every 20k miles(no flush, just drain and refill), and use good brand name fuel. I have wheel alignment done about every 60K miles. No problems with any vehicles, no engine check lights, no engine problems, and they have about 100K miles each on them.

At 60K miles I would recomment the following for your car:

engine coolant replacement

replace engine drive belts

four wheel alignment

replace brake fluid

change air and fuel filters

I would skip the 45 K service and do the above at 60K (with the exception of the air filer replacement, which needs to be done as required). Just my $0.02 worth.
  • what exactly is the "engine drive belts" that need to be replaced?
    Alternator, power steering, and A/C compressor belts. My 98 Maxima has two of these belts. These belts usually show signs of wear at 60k miles
  • p100, good advice.. wouldnt have thought of these items to service..thanks
    You can find an OEM used grill at many wrecking yards. They typically sell these parts at 1/2 the dealer retail for an identical part.
  • let me tell you about salvage yards... i recently tried looking for a front bumper, fender, and headlights for my 99 mustang which i crashed because of ice on the highway... i tried calling about 10 places and none of them had it.. i would give the yards around your area a call, but i wouldnt count on them having a grill that new..
    It depends who you call. Many salvage yards nowadays have computerized inventory and share this database with other yards. So they can get you a part from another location. Rest assure there is a 2002 or 2003 Maxima with a good front grill in a junkyard somewhere as I write this. This is a pretty common car. You are not looking for a grill for a 1935 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

I personally have had good luck with salvage yards. I was able to get a correct color center console in great shape for my 83 Mercedes 300 SD for $ 75. This console retails for over $ 700 from Mercedes dealers. I also got a full size spare with aluminum wheel in like new condition for $ 15. The rim alone retails for $ 450.

Try silverstarrecycling.com.
  • well sydney4163... good luck and i hope you find your grill... keep us posted on where you get your grill from
  • bobfeldbobfeld Posts: 33
    Im looking for some advice. I have a 2003 maxima gle with 12,000 miles on it. ive had the car 2 years. my car is always garaged and i do not drive on dusty/country roads. I have not experience any odor or dust in the cabin. Is it necessary to re-place the micro filter at this stage-or would it be a waste of money? Thanks for any advice on this.
  • i would say..with only 12k miles, i doubt you need to change it so soon.. i would go another 12k miles before changing...
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    You and I have the same car and same mileage (not sure if we have the same color combo). Like you, my car is also garaged and I have not changed my filter. I think when the windowshield starts getting more difficult to defog or the inside of the car starts smelling, I will then change the filter:-)
  • al57al57 Posts: 67
    Bought car new only 26000 miles,what is the problem with this car in the snow and rain??is there to much torque to the wheels or what,tires will need replacement too soon,what is a good tire to combat this problem if there is one,or this to continue, might be looking to an Acura TL anyone have feed back on hydro planing or inadequacies in the snow
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 884
    What trouble are you having? My Max ('01) performs quite well in bad weather. AS for tires, I really like the Bridgestone Turanza LH.
    car hydroplanes easily,traction in snow horrible skids easy,has oem 225x50x17 tires basically are shot,but problem has been with car since new(do not have traction control option is that the reason)
  • well.. i would sum up all your traction problems in a line you wrote yourself:

tires basically are shot

tires are the more important part of your car..get new ones and your handling in snow will get better... having traction control helps too..

although tires are inadeaquate this problem has been consistent since car was new, looked at cooper sle touring ( about the most reasonbly priced tire out there,stacks up pretty well against big namers,anyone have any feedback on this rubber--
  • al57, i dont doubt that you had traction problems ever since your car was new... but i dont think you'll find alot of folks here that have the same traction problems you have unless their tires were getting low on treadwear life... we seem to have problems more related to rotors, or oxygen sensors with the 2000/2001 maximas..
    thanks for the input,,Ive had no issues with oxygen sensors,paint chips or bad rotors ( i have tires tightened by hand)Guess ive been lucky although with only 26k, i hope to have some problem free driving,warranty is over for age only,car never been to dealer except for finish rubbing off door handle
  • max05max05 Posts: 29
    i just traded in a 2000 Max. SE for a 2005 SL. I have lived in the Boston area all my life and am an experienced driver in the snow. The 05 does not handle as well, especially at the start. I assume the extra 43 horsepower may have something to do with it as well as the larger size...