Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    how much are you pricing your max at? i'd def say 65k miles for a maxima is low.. we have a friend who has a 95 maxima with 250k on it... its still running good
  • Hey guys, I need to buy a part for a Maxima I have overseas, and this is the info my mechanic has emailed to me:

ECU/PCM Computer injection motor

Factory #: A18-A45E97 (2Z08) Model: EB

Nissan Part #: 23710-97E10 (according to VIN)

My car is a 24 valve Maxima from 1994. (VE engine)

If anybody could tell me where to get this, how much, etc....it would be greatly appreciated.
  • sschumersschumer Posts: 19
    Posted on 05/03/05 my actual price paid and buying experience, thought I'd add why I thought the 2005 Maxima SL (with sunroof, VDC, DPP, SIRIUS radio, floor/trunk mats & splash guards) was the best choice for ME. I stress that as, of course, anyone's choice depends on their own key criteria, as well as subjective evaluations.

First off, I was replacing a '97 Dodge Intrepid. And my key decision criteria in '05 was not disimilar from '97. As a 48 year-old family man with two (now teenage) sons, and someone who purchases cars and plans to keep for many years, I decided I still wanted and needed a family sedan and valued most (not in any particular order): Reliability and safety (VDC important), family size (rear seat room, trunk), looks / sportiness, and initial cost ($30K or under). The Maxima met all these criteria and more. I didn't choose the following cars because of the following reasons:

TOYOTA AVALON: Even more back seat room than the Maxima and as reliable, but didn't like looks, drives like a livingroom, is marketed as basically "an old(er) man's car," and cost thousands more comparably equipped.

ACURA TL: Colleague at work bought one in February, have driven in it a number of times since. Great car. But Consumer Reports (CR) lists reliability as only average (Maxima is very good, a shade under excellent), TL more expensive, smaller back seat and trunk, back seat doesn't fold down.

VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT: Average reliability at BEST. Whole Volkswagen line not good reliability per CR. Otherwise, I thought an excellent car from a feature / function standpoint. But fairly bland looks.

NISSAN ALTIMA: Reliability average. No VDC. Didn't like looks as much as Maxima. But was less expensive with many similar traits, i.e. rear seat room.

TOYOTA CAMRY: Excellent reliability and car, size of rear seat and trunk, comporable cost, maybe even a bit less. But find the looks very bland, just simply did not want the car so many others on the road drive.

HONDA ACCORD: Similar to Camry analysis above, although no VDC option and reliability above average, not excellent. A bit sportier handling and looks than the Camry, but still neither as good as the Maxima. No heated outside mirrors, smaller trunk as well.

Did for a short time look at some small SUV's, but decided another family sedan was best for me. However, if I had bought one, the Honda CRV would have been my clear-cut choice over the Ford Escape, Subaru Forester or Toyota RAV-4, based mostly on excellent reliability, much bigger back seat (leg room) than anything else (even mid-size SUV's), great feature in that the rear seats recline up to 45 degrees, cargo space, transmission, gas mileage and VDC.

One last item: I bought my Maxima in Spirited Bronze with Cafe Latte (camel) leather interior. Love the bronze / pewter color to begin with, let alone its uniqueness. Liked this exterior / interior color comibination better than any available in the six other cars listed above.

To each his own, but hope others find this helpful!
  • beer4799beer4799 Posts: 23
    I am trying to decide between '05 Avalon Ltd., Pilot w/Navi and Max w/Navi. Can anyone give me a heads up about how the Nissan Navi system is good, bad or indifferent? I have read that the motor is strong and the A/T just OK. I am hoping the coil pack troubles and other gremlins have been straightened out. Thanks in advance! It seems that this weekend may be a good time to purchase......
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    IMO, the Nissan Navi is far better than Toyota's. Now if you were comparing the Nissan Navi against Honda or Acura, it would be a different story!
  • tokra1tokra1 Posts: 2
    hi bingman in reference to your speacker package it dosent really matter if there is a package dont do it... i recommend go to your local car udio dealer and see what they have also here is a guide line on OZ dollars for car audio systems $500 to $1500 low quality to average audio system $1500 to $2000 average to high quality/borderline comatition quality $2001 to $3000 start entering you car in low end sound compatitions. ect the music gets louder and better.

with this money at any level you should be able to buy 3 way 6*9's for the back, 16cm 3way with splits for the front, a verying quality cd player head unit, one to two amps too power the sucker, and one to two subs to give the bass.. my idea make sure you shop around
  • jara97jara97 Posts: 2
    The SL gives a little stiffer ride but handles a little. I went with the SL for the extra gadgets and the plush ride. Liked them both...

JA
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    give the stiffer ride.
  • nasknask Posts: 2
    hello people,

I have a 2001 Maxima SE with about 39k miles on it. Everything has been good so far until a few days ago when I left for a vacation and when I come back after a month, the moment I hit the brakes, I get a pulsating feeling, the steering wheel is all shaking up so I take it to the dealer and he says, I need to get my rotors resurfaced and replace the brake pads. I dont want to resurface the rotors and instead replace them and the pads - what should I be buying? (both rotors and pads) - I am a novice so pardon me if this looks like a lame question.

Thanks
  • papafred, Did you ever get a complete answer for this question? Do you still want to know, or have you sold the car? If you still want to know, post the first 10 digits of your VIN. I have a 96 Max factory service manual with a chart that shows what VIN digits indicate what model the car is.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    nask... i have a 2000 and changed my rotors for Brembo OEM rotors at 50bucks each... my cousin got his generic ones for 25 bucks each... but thats just for parts... good luck
  • aby1aby1 Posts: 1
    Let me know my model for 96 nissan maxima- VIN # 2TM4416431 (last 10 digits)
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    VIN #, How to Read it.
    1st digit is where vehicle is built, 1,4,5=USA, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico, Puerto Rico or Costa Rico, 6=Australia, 9=Brazil, J=Japan, K=South Korea, L=Tawain, S=United Kingdom, V=France or Yugoslavia, W=Germany, Y=Sweeden, Z=Italy.

2nd and 3rd characters indicate specific manufacturer.

4th through 8th characters are a portrait of the specific vehicle, Brand, Body Style, Engine Size & Type, etc.

9th character is a security code that identifies the VIN as being authorized by the manufacturer. Law enforcement can determine if a VIN is authentic or not from this character on a specific vehicle.

10th character is the model year of the car. 1980=A, H=1987, J=1988, N=1992, P=1993, T=1996, V=1997, through Y=2000. Then 1 = 2001 and so on. There are no I, O, U, or Z years.

11th character is the specific plant which assembled the vehicle. Each manufacturer uses different codes to identify their plants.

12th-17th characters are the serial number of the specific vehicle. Not all companies start at #000001, practices vary among manufacturers.

SE's have body colored door handles (from factory).

GLE's and GXE's have chrome door handles (from factory).

All GLE's have auto climate control and leather interior (from factory).

All GXE's have manual climate control and cloth interior (from factory)
  • hunter1uthunter1ut Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Nissan Altima with the exact same problem. I was wondering if you fixed your problem and which of the three parts required replacing?
  • mfb2244mfb2244 Posts: 1
    How do I take off the broken mirror. A used part shop is sending me a new one. Thanks!
  • thaddockthaddock Posts: 3
    Thanks. This verifies what my local mechanic told me. The reason it came up is Nissan kept sending me coupons for discounts on replacing my timing 'belt' at 75,000. I have a 97 Maxima GLE with 84,000. My Nissan dealership replaced the timing 'belt' on my 94 Quest a while back at 110,000 miles. That was the last time I have paid those prices for service.
  • thaddockthaddock Posts: 3
    For what it is worth, my 97 Maxima GLE gets 31-32 MPG on the highway after 84,000 miles. Everything is original equipment and it looks great. Bose stereo went out about 70,000, so I replaced it with an Alpine system that included XM Radio using the same Bose speakers that came on the car. I explored replacing the original Bose system, but it requires shipping the old one to San Diego and waiting a few weeks/months and then paying either your local Nissan dealership service dept. or an independent garage to reinstall. The price to reinstall was more than the price of the replacement unit. The local Nissan dealership was not very enthusiastic about that process and recommended I look at third party solutions locally. The Alpine system sounds very good but not as good as the original. Also the Alpine system randomly resets all the station settings. Could be an installation problem.
    My leather seats in back are drying a bit so I am trying to get help treating them before they crack.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You might find some helpful thoughts in our Cleaning Leather/Cloth Interiors discussion - let us know!
  • kjhuckkjhuck Posts: 2
    My Maxima 2004, was doing the same thing. I woud hit the breaks and it would pull. Also my steering collum was out of alignment. You had better check for the bolt on the steering near the tire. Mine came out and my wheels went pigeon toed, and I was just about to get on the highway headed for home.
    I tried to explain this to the dealer and they did not want to listen. This is a safety issue and I had to jump up and down to get some attention, and that was minimal.
  • Is something like a transmission filter exists on 2001 Maxima GXE model, if yes when it needs to be replaced
    Thanks