Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    The Nissan Maxima was featured in a six way large family sedan comparison test featuring the Buick Lacrosse, Chrysler 300, Ford Five Hundred, Kia Amanti and Toyota Avalon. The Maxima placed third, beaten by.......you can guess.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9639&page_number=1
  • sydney4163sydney4163 Posts: 18
    Hello all,

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed many times before on these forums, however hope that everyone can provide some help. I have an 03 Max. I believe the radio antenna is located in the rear window. First of all, can anyone confirm this? Secondly, for those who have tinted their windows, has there been any affect to radio reception after tint - both AM and FM? Any advise on tinting?

Thanks for your help!

Sydney4163
  • When did Nissan ELIMINATE this option on the Maxima?
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I have a nice tint on my 00 Max, the darkest shade being on the back window, 1 step into the illegal range, side windows are legal. I haven't noticed any degradation in radio reception at all. I wouldn't worry about that. My advice would be to have a professional do the tint, I've never seen a decent do it yourself tint, they always look purple and have bubbles. I went with a guy who has his own business of doing tint out of his garage for like 20 years. I'm in MN. Car is 5 yrs old with 90K and zero issues with tint, looks like new with no bubbles. Cost was $250 for all windows, including little tiny ones in rear and also sunroof, not windshield though.
  • sydney4163sydney4163 Posts: 18
    Thanks for the response. I am also in MN - Twin Cities area. Can I ask where did you have the tint done? I got a quote from a shop in Eden Prarie - about the same price. Seemed like a very reputable location. Tint laws in MN require 50%. Seems very light - how do you like it? I am considering going slightly below legal. Have you had any issues with the darker window in back? I see an awful lot of cars on the road with pretty dark windows.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Interesting pricing on tint up there. I guess it's what the market will bear. Down here in the mid-atlantic you can get that job done at decent shops for between 100 and 150. Probably more competition down here.
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I used a guy named Dave Metz over in White Bear Lake, does it out of his garage. Works on a lot of high end cars. He's the best. I have his card somewhere, I'll try to find it and post the info or email it since not supposed to solicit on this site. No issues with darker window in back, if could do it again would maybe even do the sides that dark. Didn't want to risk being pulled over though, tickets ain't cheap these days. My tint still, 5 yrs later, looks brand new.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Posts: 203
    For those who have purchased it and received the service agreement, is it personalized (with warranty#, VIN, name, address, etc) document?
    Or is it just a generic document with descritpion of covered items under the specific level of warranty you purchased?
    I purchased one more than two months ago, have never received the service agreement, called the Nissan, they said they requested for reprint and told me to wait 2 to 4 weeks. And now that four weeks passed by, I still have not received it.
    I talked to the selling dealer personnel, and according to her, she bought one for own Nissan vehicle and did not receive it either so I should not be concerned.
    I am concerned, though. (I do have the application form with purchase price and level of warranty, etc. But that application states I should receive the service agreement.)
    If it's not a personalized item, I may just have to put this to rest.
    BTW, people who I have spoke to over the phone in Nissan were basically no help. I asked them to find out why I was not receiving it, and they said all they could do was to request for reprint again and again. AND they don't know who else I can contact to resolve this issue...
    Thanks for reading.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    Each time I've purchased a Nissan extended warranty, I've received the same documentation as you did, just a generic brochure, but I did get a detailed receipt. When I needed service, I just went to a Nissan dealer and they had the information in their computer systems, based on the VIN #.
  • dahuberdahuber Posts: 53
    Yes, there is a filter inside the pan. On my '01 GLE, I change the fluid every 25-30k miles and change the filter every other time. When I first pulled it at 50k, the filter did look pretty clean-so I am guessing you could go longer.

Dave
  • torrytorry Posts: 2
    I have read the posts on regular vs. premium in the Maxima, but I am wondering if it is any different with the new Maxima engine? Is there anyone out there with one who has been using regular gas? I am not going to buy a car that requires premium gas at this point. BTW, the Nissan sales guys all say it's OK, but I wonder about their depth of knowledge/experience as well as their motivations.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    dont do it.. dont buy a maxima and put regular gas in... if u're looking for something u could put reg into.. buy a camry or something similar.. maxima's are preformance engines....
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Called both local dealers about this. One quoted $625 and included things like replace drive belts, change transmission fluid (even though it's a manual), repack rear wheel bearings in addition to the stuff one would expect. The other quoted $400 and had fuel injector cleaning but not drive belt or bearing repack. The car has been maintained pretty much by the book.

The manual only goes 60k miles then says repeat the schedule which puts me back at the 30k service. What's a reasonable price for this service?
    See what the owner's manual says. Many of the engines for which premium is recommended will run fine although with somewhat reduced performance on regular. I saw a recent post on the G35 forum that said the owner was using regular without any problems.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Posts: 433
    i would follow your manual concerning what is needed for the 90k service... dealers will always add unneccessary items to inflate their profits.... the book never lies about what you need....
  • george2k5george2k5 Posts: 2
    I've been using regular in my '05 SL without any noticable performance problems, or any signs of knock (pinging). I did use premium when I took a trip through the mountains (L.A. to Las Vegas), but I'm not sure if that was necessary.
    on my son's 1998 Max? None of my sockets or lug wrenches fit.
  • jefferjeffer Posts: 31
    I know I'm replying to a post that is 1.5 years old but just wanted to add my experience to the mix. I too have a '00 Max and it was running like crap. Anytime I tried to accelerate it would bog down and often the rpm's would decrease. I had to tromp on the peddle and still it would barely budge.
    After reading through the posts I started to think it might be the O2 sensors. Then I took it to a place call Advanced Auto Parts. They were able to read the SES code and it said basically "bank 1 too lean, bank 2 too lean". Well the nice, but clueless folks there offfered some suggestions as to what it might be. But then none of the parts came up in their system, so I left empty handed (good thing as you will soon see).
    Then I went to Auto Zone where they too got the same code. The even nicer woman who helped felt somewhat confident that it was the O2 sensors but after explaining were they might be I decided it was not a job I was able to do since I was on vacation and miles from home.
    So I made an appointment with a Nissan dealer in Horseheads, NY. That's right, I always have visions of the Godfather when I hear that name.
    Anyway I took the car in and tried to tell them that I thought it might be the O2 sensors. But the nice man at the counter said it would be kind of weird for both sensors to go at the same time. That made sense to me so I left the car and went back to the lake where I was staying. The down side was that I had to extend my vacation a couple extra days. :)
    Anyway I called the dealer the next day and they said they fixed the problem. As with the case sited above it was the MAF sensor. Unfortunately not under warranty for me as I have 90K on the car so $300 later I retrieved my vehicle. BUT - after picking up the car and driving down the road it ran like it was a teenager again. Vroom Vroom. Yeeha! I was a happy camper again. The problem really had me worried as it seemed like it could be the transmission or something major with the engine. So in some respects I was happy that it only cost me $300.
    However, the nice man at the Nissan dealer (Van Brunt) did tell me that I should get the genuine Nissan air filter. He said it may cost a couple dollars more but it was specially designed to protect the MAF because it was impregnated with oil.
    So just wanted to pass that on, whether you believe it or want to take that advice is up to you. I've had bad experiences at a dealer in Mass but that's another story. For now I am happy and accelerating with gusto!

regards,
    Jeffer
  • just_philjust_phil Posts: 86
    They are 21mm
  • maxdrvrmaxdrvr Posts: 1
    When gas started going thru the roof in price I began using reg. gas in my 2004 Max. I have noticed no adverse affects or lack of performance in the 10K of mileage so far. Runs great for less. GO for it. In fact talking to some authorities in the car business, very few cars really require premium. :shades: