Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    My 2002 seems overly harsh over bumps and has a bounce/jounce to it. Can you tell me more about the replacements you had to get?
  • Hi, I've recently started to notice that when i make turns, there is a screeching noise coming from my wheel well... i'm not sure what it is... has anyone on this board noticed this before.... mine's a 2000 maxima gle..

thanks,kyle
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    Did you hit something with your tires (like a curb or a corner)? If so, that could loosen the tires and cause a bit of play between the tires and your wheel axle/hub. Put the car on a lift, spin the wheels to see if there is any play, and tighten if necessary. Just my hunch.
  • I have a 2000 SE. My car was doing the same thing except it was on the right side.In short, I replaced the front wheel bearing. I saved around $800.00 doing it myself. You can buy parts online and save about 40% on price than you can get at dealer. If you are mechanically inclined and have a really good press, then go for it. Don't let your friend who "thinks" he can do it. It is not a bad job but one that takes time and know how.Torgues are very important too. Get a manual. MJ9981
  • How is the 2007's CVT? Its it better to get the 06? I mean the 06 does have 10 more horses. The interior on the 07 is nicer but i never saw anything wrong with the 06 other than the clutter. Any comments on the MPG? I see the fog light difference but is the visibility that much difference?

-Cj :confuse:
  • RE: 2004 Maxima: Need to replace the driver side electric/heated mirror. New mirror is on order but I :confuse: Cannot see how to remove the old mirror. The one piece unit appearts to be bolted on to something on the inside. Any experience here is appreciated?
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    )) "I'm sorry, dmaljunk, I don't recall mentioning the brand name on the struts, but I would assume they're probably McPherson's? I know that's what I had on my 1988 Mazda RX-7 back in the eighties. Also, I'm not sure if the
    struts would be different on the GLE." ((

I realize I'm late to the party with a comment on maximafan's post, but the McPherson naming convention is in reference to the Scottish-born Ford of England engineer who devised the simplified coil-over-strut style suspension system that uses only a lower control arm to locate the wheel hub laterally and longitudinally. It's not a brand name. Neither Ford nor Mr. McPherson patented the design, so it's in general use worldwide. Though the componentry is always basically similar, it's never intentionally interchangeable from one automaker to another. The struts, themselves - essentially shock absorbers - would probably be internally valved differently in the Maxima than the Altima even though they might be physically similar enough to be interchanged. There're also unnamed variants of the McPherson concept in wide use that add an upper control arm to the mix.
  • Please give us a scientific reason why we can't switch from a mid grade fuel to reg grade fuel for a 10-yr old Maxima. Thanks
  • oem tires: 215-55-16

does anyone know if i could put 205-55-16's on my maxima?

and is there a need to adjust the alignment for the rear wheels on a 2000 maxima that has the Multi-Link Beam suspension in the back... thanks!
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Posts: 160
    you usually upsize your tires not downsize - see tire calculator here for exact impact: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

Rear wheels do not need to be aligned on 2000 Maxima.
  • I have a 2000 Maxima Se. I used Irotors Crossed Drilled and Slotted Rotors. They were $139 plus $40 shipping total of $179 for all four Rotors. They work great stop very quick. However, if you get them, dont use the original brake pads from Nissan. I have not upgraded to High Performance Brake pads yet but am planning on. The Rotors from IRotors.com are great. How are your Hawk Break Pads working? I might change to them.
  • i was also thinking irotors when i was replacing my 2000 maxima oem rotors a year ago but from what i found out, you can't resurface slotted or drilled rotors...

is this true for you??
  • You cant resurface the crossed drilled and Slotted rotors but the rotors from Irotors are very good and as long as you get good brake pads (Performance pads) to go along, you should be good for a few years. Resurfacing on a 2000 max is not that great anyhow, thats why I went with Irotors.\

What kind of Brake Pads are you using?
  • Any idea what's a reasonable cost to replace 95 Maxima clutch? Local Nissan dealership is asking for $925. The car has about 109K miles. Thanks.
  • dahuberdahuber Posts: 53
    OEM 215s are sometimes not easy to find. We've been running 205s for the summer tires for a couple years now for this very reason, no problems whatsoever. Just make sure the weight rating for the tire is high enough to support the car.
  • just the info i needed... i wanted to make sure there were no problems running the 205's....

by the way... I'm using OEM brake pads i bought from advance auto parts.... they're not special pads
  • I know this is kind of off the subject, but I can't find any related topics. I have a 99 Maxima SE with the 190hp 3.0 and auto trans. I would love to upgrade to the 3.5 265hp engine and trans. that newer model Altimas and Maximas came with. I know I'll need all electronics from donor car, and was wondering if anyone has done this swap.
  • I am looking at buying a used 2001 (3.0 L) versus 2002 (3.5L) but I am concerned with 2 things:
    1. do both 2001 & 2002 require premium gas?
    2. in real world, how does mpg compare between the two engines both with auto (would love the 5sp but wife is does want to mess with clutch)?

any info helpful...
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 887
    1. Yes.
    2. For my '01 I get 27 mpg highway, 23-24 city -- down to 22 in the winter.
    The '01 is so smooth and powerful, I can't imagine why one would need even more! :)
  • suydam - thanks for the info! :D