Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• yaoxyaox Posts: 14
    I have a lot of Music CD-R. I wonder if there is any problem to play CD-R in in-dash CD player of 01 Maxima. It is said that CD-R or CD-R/W will cause some jam in the manufacturer's manual. If this jam occurs, does warranty cover it? Thanks.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    Though I don't own a Maxima, I did have a CD-R jam in the CD player of my Dakota. At some point in time while the CD-R was in the player over the period of a day or two, a wrinkle developed in the label. I think that this is what caused the jam. It was covered under warranty on my vehicle and Dodge sent the CD back to my home, thankfully, since it was sound board bootleg from a friend. I no longer use CD with labels in any sort of non-tray loading CD-player like car units or my Sony ES changer.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    Look at www.tirerack.com

Unfortunately, the 225/50R17 is an odd tire size as only a few tires are made in that size with the cheapest being the potenzas ($161).

Your friend could go with a different size that offers more of a selection (say 245/45R17 or 235/45R17), however that may slightly change his/her speedometer readings (by 1 to 2% - which isn't bad). Here's a speedo calibration link:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Goodluck

Look at www.maxima.org

They offer a lot of info relative to maxima modifications (fstb and performance).

I must warn you though that its very additive.
    Mike,

Keep in mind that the 2002 max is a transition car. An all-new max (2003 model) is suppose to be out in the spring of 2003. That may be THE car. I have a 2000 and I'll probably look at the 2002 (but not TOO hard, hopefully :-)

If the 2002 Altima is so nice, then I'd expect the 2003 max to be really nice.

Just my opinion.

I'll probably wait until Nissan admits then corrects the paint chipping problem before I plunk down another $25k-$30k. Hopefully they'll have that corrected soon.

Goodluck
  • al57al57 Posts: 67
    i own a 2000 max se with only 4500 miles..if your friend is looking at a used 2000 with 23000 miles and the tires are shot i'd first question that the car has more mileage than it shows..has this car ever been parked???thats a lot of riding...if your friends interested how about a 2000 max se gray lustre/charcoal,c/c package, mudguards,wind deflector,floor mats..want to make an offer?????also in years to come i think that size tire will be used in more applications..lets hope so
  • cpa4ucpa4u Posts: 136
    92drexel....I passed along the website you mentioned to my buddy. Great info.

He said that he talked to a friend who owns a tire shop and he looked up the OEM tires. Said that they only had a treadwear rating of 160. Which is very short compared to alot of other Goodyear, Michelin, and other performance tires with over 300 treadwear lives. Those Bridgestones sure wear out fast huh? I mean I had a Z28 with the Goodyear GSC's that lasted for almost 40k. Anyway, I digress. Maybe by the time all these '00 and '01 Maximas and I30t's need a set of replacements, there will be more choices.

Oh....the tire shop guy did recommend one other tire that is made in that size, Nitto (or something like that). Neither of us had heard of that one before. It listed for about $130.
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    we own a 2k Maxima GLE. when we first got it we noticed that the front passenger door didnt close as well as the others...now the window seems to be fit pretty loosely in the door assembly. when u close hte door (when the window's open) the glass shakes. not like its gonna fall out, just a lil concerned that itll eventually get worse.

and this ones not really important but is there a way to keep the license plate frame on the rear of the car without it vibrating against the trunk lid whenever i shut it? there are no bolts to secure the frame on the bottom. i tried placing mounting tape there, but it was an unsuccessful attempt.

-Justin
  • edwardsa1edwardsa1 Posts: 34
    FYI, the Nitto NT-450 is also available in 225/50R-17. They are supposed to be nice, and are considerably cheaper than the Michelins or Potenzas (~$125/tire).
  • gooniesgoonies Posts: 24
    ok i have a new 2001 gle when ever i make a medium to hard corner at slow speed (eg.15mph), i hear a "croaking" sound coming from the right front wheel.i also hear it when i go over speed bumps. i think what ever is making that noise in the suspension needs to be oiled or worn down some by more driving. i only got 400 miles. should i be concerned about it now or will it go away. thanx for any info you guys can pass along. and also thanx for answering the fstb question.
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Posts: 33
    I had the same problem with my rear license plate rattling. I stuck two chair leg pads to the back of each bottom corner of the plate. They will have been there 2 years this July and it has not rattled since or damaged my paint.

I saw your SE picture on the owner's board and it looks great. I posted my not as fancy looking GLE there too. They did not have the spoke rims available in July 99 when I purchased it!!
  • qx4qx4 Posts: 99
    the special edition in canada was called ES
    it had leather and so on on top of the GXE.

so from lowest to highest, nissan offered
    GXE
    ES
    SE - GLE

i believe it was for 1999
  • seguyseguy Posts: 133
    What are Max's leasing for now a days? Particularly one with leather and traction control. Anyone lease one recently? thanks.
  • mike9570mike9570 Posts: 4
    I just got a 36 month lease on a 2001. , 15,000 miles per year, totaly loaded. $452.00 per month. this includes connecticut state tax and no money down.However i am having mpg problems with the car and they tell me that it is within factory specs.
    Mike msobotkin@aol.com
    thanks for ur input, where do u get the chair leg pads?...actually my max is a GLE, but i guess no one could tell because there wasnt a pic of the back of it. actually i slightly prefer the "luxury look" wheels your GLE has, for some reason they seem to fill the wheel wells better (even if they are the same size). how much did your mudflaps cost? weve been thinking about getting them next time the car goes in for maintainence.
  • koski1koski1 Posts: 4
    just picked up a white gle with tint and spoiler for $25385. nervous I left honda resale and reliability. 3.9% was the kicker.
    congrats on ur new ride, hope u have as much fun and satisfaction with the ride as we have : )
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Posts: 33
    The chair pads are little round self adhesive felt pads. You can get them at any hardware store or Home Depot store.

My mud flaps came with the car and they do a great job of keeping the road dirt off the paint.

I thought you picture was an SE because of the rims!!

38000 miles and still luv it!!

Dave
  • edwardsa1edwardsa1 Posts: 34
    Well, you definitely left some portion of your resale behind, but I think the trade-off was worth it. I recently ditched my '98 Accord EX V-6 (which I HATED and which had significant problems with build quality and reliability) in favor of a Max SE, and I vastly prefer it. From what I have seen the American-made Hondas are nothing to write home about.
  • jscatenajscatena Posts: 61
    I'm turning in my wife's 2000 Maxima (lease is up). She may want another Maxima Any significant changes from 2000 to 2001? When do the 2002's hit the street?

Jim in Michigan
  • yaoxyaox Posts: 14
    I still feel my 01 maxima gxe's suspension a little firm after setting tire pressure 33 psi (front) and 30 psi(rear). So now I try tire pressure 31 psi(front) and 29 psi(rear). I just wonder if this pressure set will cause any problem. Thanks.
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Posts: 167
    you will most likely affect the tire wear which translates into tire life of your tires. the factory recommendations take into account some equations which, considering the weight and distribution of your vehicle, and the tire sizes, will maximize the life of your tires. if you want to soften the ride a little, changing tire pressures wont significantly do the trick.
  • jcthom4jcthom4 Posts: 24
    I am getting a 2001 SE at or below invoice and the dealer (sort of a friend) will throw in the complete VALUGARD package for free.
    Will this stuff damage the car? I don't know if I want them spraying stuff on my new leather or autobody. It is supposed to help dampen road noise too. Anyone have any helpful thoughts? Thanks in advance :-)
    if im correct, the 2001 maxima has only a few minor changes (new steering wheel with radio controls, the introduction of the 20th anniversary model are the main changes). im not sure when the 02s will be released, but im guessing fall.

iluvmax: thanks for the suggestion, hope it works!
    i dont really know what valuegard is, but if it protects the body paint id suggest it, there seems to be a lot of maxima owners having problems with their paint being unusually thin and chipping easily...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=dc78534637c333c29dc4850c917526da&threadid=25984

i havent noticed this problem, but i do have a small chip in the gap between my trunklid and body.

• oehrleinoehrlein Posts: 30
    I had the same noise, left front. I heard the noise when I went in/out of my driveway, parking & turning, or when hitting certain bumps. To make a long story short the dealer under warranty replaced the left front strut.

Good Luck
    Semper Fi
  • gooniesgoonies Posts: 24
    or anyone willing to answer.
    if it is a strut thats causing all this "croaking" noise, is it something that needs to be replace immediately? is it safe to drive? also would it cause excessive torque steer? car seems fine except straight line on-center feel could be better, also torque steer seems a bit much. i want to wait till my first oil change probably around 1500 miles. thanks for any replies!
    I've heard good things about the Nittos. They are big with the 'low' riders. They offer great wet and dry handling, however I think they are a high performance tire (which turns anti-performance when it snows). If your friend lives in a warm climate (where snow isn't a concern), I'd do that.

It's ashame that Nissan choose a 225/50R17 tire, 'cause there just 'aint alot of choices. Someone posted the specs for the 2002's last week and Nissan is actually changing its tire size to a more common one.

But the Bridgestones and Michelin (I think) cost more because they are All-Season High Performance tires (which can handle light snow) versus a pure High Performance tire which spins in the lightest of snows.

I'm personally looking at buying a new (or used) set of rims and mounting all-seasons on one set and high performance 235/45R17's on the other, then swapping them out when the seasons change.

Goodluck
    goonies,

I wouldn't wait. I think Nissan knows about the struts and has issued a TSB for them so it shouldn't cost you anything.

Goodluck
  • chloe6chloe6 Posts: 38
    Hi!

I hope someone can help me. I'm planning to purchase a new Maxima SE this week, but I'm not sure how much I should pay for it. I have read that many people have paid below invoice price for their Maximas, but I have no idea how much to offer the dealer.

The car I want is a 2001 SE with all options except the 6-CD changer. The MSRP is $ 30,080 and the invoice price is $27,239. I hate negotiating, but I still want to get a decent deal, so if anyone can give me a clue as to how much to offer for the car, I'd really appreciate it! At least if I have a price in mind when I go to the dealer, I'll know if the price they quote me is fair.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide -- I haven't bought a car in quite a while, and spending all this money makes me NERVOUS!

Regards,
    Chloe