Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• have a local dealer running specials this month to move inventory. i got a letter in the mail saying to come on down, your pre-approved, etc.
    i get there and the saleman is showing me the inventory. he says he has these 3 nissan maximas, all 2001, all dealer demos and the cars the managers drove. they had like 20 - 22,000 miles. i ran the vin numbers tonight when i came home, and it returned that they were leased for a month, then a rental car company took them over. therefore, the salesman is a) a complete idiot that does not know where these cars come from. or b) he thinks he is slick liar. either way im uncomfortable about the whole situation. anyhow i have a 10am appointment with my salesman and i dont know how i should handle the guy. he's like these are the gxe's and we are selling them for 20998. any help, legal issues, please respond.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Take your carfax print outs and have a one on one meeting with the general manager. Tell him you want to be compensated for your waste of time or you are going to report this fraud to the authorities.

$21k for a used GXE is a crappy deal, anyway you look at it.
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    I agree with habitat1. 21k for a used 01 GXE is pretty inflated. I just purchased a new 01 Max GXE w/conv pack and I only paid 22.6 drive out. Given the cheap prices on the new 01 Max because of the more powerful 02 Max coming out soon, a new 01 Max may be cheaper. Also, 20k miles on an 01 Max is a lot of miles for less than a year of service. Since they were rentals, you can assume they were driven hard for almost all of those miles. I know I drive the rentals hard =). Just my .02
  • I will say that I did not purchase any vehicle today. your guys' info helped me out. thank you. the look on the salesman's face was priceless. he said, "what's this?" I said, "it's a carfax report on the vehicle you want to sell me. you do know what carfax is, don't you?" "no, I don't, but it must be wrong. I am going to show this to the manager." so he leaves me and goes to his manager and returns by saying that all of their used vehicles are purchased from nissan motors crop. and he has never heard of a rental maxima in any company's fleet. I said to him that the vin number does not lie nor does the state of florida dmv. he got quiet. he then took me out and showed me some of his new inventory, and i liked the frontier crew cab. after the test drive, they appraised my car (2000 jetta gls), and brought me the little paper with the magic marker and the so called magic numbers. i looked at him and laughed, grabbed my keys and told him that i was sorry for wasting his time and mine as well. i told him i was not going to just give my car to them, like a person does to a charity. everyone's out to make money, but to cut 5000 off my vehicle's AVERAGE trade value, don't think so. i just think i found some sales manager's sore spot, and he didn't like it. thanks everyone, and enjoy the post.
  • bonk30bonk30 Posts: 1
    I got a quote for a 2001 Maxima GLE with Meridian Edition, Sunroof, Z-Traction Control System and Spoiler including destination fees for around $26K in the Northern VA area. Is this a reasonable deal given the impending introduction of the 2002 Maxima and Altima?

In reference to the Z TCS: Is this option worthwhile? By description, it seems to be a good addition to an already awesome car.

The salesman also said that he can get the SE with all the options to match the GLE for around the same price (I had wanted black leather which didn't come with a white GLE). On a performance level, how much better/worse is the GLE compared to the SE. --Thanks for any input.
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    The price he quoted you is about invoice for that car. Me personally, I would wait until more details are available for the Altima (price, test drives, etc). The new Altima will be available in 10 days so that information should be coming out soon. A lot of people are speculating a 25k price for a loaded Altima so it may undercut the current Maxima, not to mention it'll have more HP and be bigger than the current and 02 maxima. Also, all the features available on the current max will be available on the new 02 Altima, and then some. That dealer should still have those maximas in two or three weeks and who knows, by then maybe he'll be more willing to deal below invoice on the 01 maximas. Judging by the articles, I don't see much of an advantage to buying the new 02 Maxima over the 02 Altima except the 6spd tranny. The 02 max will have more ponies but will be heavier so the Altima may be faster. Not sure if the Altima will have the locking diff like the 02 max, but the 02 Altima will be slightly bigger (trunk and interior space) than the current and 02 Maxima, but lighter than the 02 maxima. I think it'd be interesting to see how all 3 (01 max, 02 max, 02 altima) stack up against each other.
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    has anyone here installed a Front strut tower brace on their 2000-01 maxima? my dads looking into getting one and would like to know if the install was difficult at all, and how much performance gain u can get from it.

slothead: "Brake rotors are covered until the "3 years/36K mile" bumper to bumper warranty expires..."

these are links to the tsb regarding the brakes

http://www.punkdork.net/max/rotor

http://apollo799.50megs.com/Maxima/Maxima.htm
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I put one on both my 95 GLE and 01 SE. It takes all of 15 minutes at the most and is by far the best bang for the buck at improving handling around any corners.

Just make sure your car is flat and level when you install it and watch over torqueing the nuts that hold the FSTB in place.

Go for it, you won't be dissapointed.
    did u also install a Rear Sway Bar?

ive heard that the FSTB makes the car more solid feeling in addition to the much improved handling is this true? what tools do u need? and did u get a Stillen or Courtesy Nissan FSTB? thanks
  • umpopaumpopa Posts: 37
    ludacris:
    The combination of these two suspension modifications is astonishing in terms of performance enhancement. The ride is solid, cornering is "as if on rails", and I just ride with a big grin on my face, now that I have them both. The FSTB essentially requires only wrenches (including a torque wrench to make sure it's properly tightened), and is easy, fun, and immediately rewarding once you drive with it.

The RSB takes longer to install, but I had mine done by a mechanic, and it took him all of 35 minutes (it would have taken me perhaps an hour).

The difference between Courtesy and Stillen FSTB's is cosmetic. Courtesy's is hollow, Stillen's is solid, but Stillen wins on style points. Both work comparably, but Stillen's costs considerably more.
  • opimaxopimax Posts: 73
    what are people paying for the 30k checkup? dealer wants 450 but seems to be willing to negotiate.

Mark
  • infinituminfinitum Posts: 7
    I just had it done for $350. In Sacramento it's 380. You may want to shop it around various dealers depending on where you are.
    also i heard from other people that if you dont install (i forgot whether it was the FSTB or RSB) tightly enough, you'll hear a clank everytime you hit a bump? is that true?

the stillen FSTB is waay more expensive...are u sure theyre only cosmetic differences?
  • I know it is early, however I was wonder what type of snow tires would fit on my 2k Maxima SE. I have 225/50/17 on the car now, however they don't make a snow tire in that size. If a drop to a 16 inch rim would I have to go up to a 60? Maybe 215/60/16? Has anyone do this? Will effect the speedometer? Thanks.
  • jimmie8jimmie8 Posts: 31
    I'm not sure if they keep the old Maxima forums archived, but there was a huge discussion about this about 8 months ago. I remember that a lot of people were happy with the 15" Blizzaks....not sure the exact size.
    I put Blizzack snows on my 00 SE (17"). I used the 15" wheels from a 95 GLE. (It was pretty ugly!!) Can't remember the size exactly but seems like 205/60/15" rings a bell.

They were great last winter and after driving in the upper midwest for 25 years with "All Season tires", I won't drive again in the winter without dedicated snow tires. The difference is night and day!

I've still got about 2/3rd's of the tread left so I think I can easily get another winter out of them. I paid $235 for a set of 4 mounted and balanced from Firestone on December 1st 2000.

Check out Tire Rack.com for exact size conversions that won't affect your speedometers accuracy.
  • I live in Western Canada and did well with the stock tires on the SE. Winter tire helps of course.
    I picked up my 00 SE (with TCS)in November 1999 and I did really well the first winter on the stock 17" tires. We also had a pretty light winter of snow that season.

The second winter was a different story. I was literally stuck at home in the first week with just 6" on the ground and that's what motivated my decision for the Blizzaks.

We ended up with over 50" of snow in December 2000 and I never lost another day after I put the snows on.

The added benefit is that a set of the 17" replacement tires will run me $750-800 when I have to replace them so putting 10,000 miles on the snows feels much safer driving and saves a lot of money on those expensive 17" tires.

(They are really ugly though!)
  • umpopaumpopa Posts: 37
    ludacris:
    Yup, the difference between Courtesy and Stillen FSTB's is cosmetic; performance apparently is the same.

The RSB by Stillen has NOT been noted to cause the bumping you mention, although one from another company (Addco or some similar name...I don't recall exactly) needs more "tweaking" to eliminate the bump.

You'll find lots of discussion about these items on 5thGenMaximas.com and/or Maxima.org, including group buying deals and other feedback.

I also found that talking directly with the Stillen people was successful in trying to negotiate a price below their usual catalogue price!
    yeah i would have posted on teh maxima.org forum but i figured that the topic had been over billions of times and no one would have replied lol. thanks!
  • max2001max2001 Posts: 63
    Ludacris - yeah the stillen bar is almost double the price of the courtesy - but if looks/style matter then the stillen bar is the way to go. But they both do the same thing. If you decide to go stillen check avalonracing.net (Got my stillen bar for 180) they have better pricing. Also check the maxima.org for group buys. BTW I installed the FSTB in 15 min. and the RSB in just under 1 hour and I knew nothing about cars - until I got my max that is!:)
    do they come shipped with installation instructions? how bout the average 15 year old that loves cars but has never touched anything mechanical (ive checked the oil a few times lol) would i probably be able to do this installation?
  • max2001max2001 Posts: 63
    They come shipped with instructions. The FSTB is no problem. RSB, you could probably do it yourself but maybe better to have installed professionally. One thing that is important is to make sure the brakelines don't rub on the bar - heard about a couple of people having probs with that.
  • frankmax1frankmax1 Posts: 4
    SORRY IT HAS TAKEN SO LONG BUT I'VE BEEN ON VACATION. THE DEALER INITIALLY TRIED TO RECTIFY MY PROBLEM BY GETTING ME ANOTHER CAR. HOWEVER, THE DEALER COULD NOT FIND A 5 SPD SE WITH C&C IN THE SATIN BLUE. I TOLD THE DEALER I DIDN'T WANT THE WHOLE CAR PAINTED ONLY THE SCRATCH. HE BROUGHT IN A SPECIAL PAINTER WHO TOUCHED UP THE SCRATCH. THE AREA LOOKS GREAT (IN CERTAIN LIGHT I CAN SEE THE REPAIR). THE DEALER GAVE ME FREE LOANER AND 5 YEAR GOLD EXTENDED WARRANTY. I JUST WANT TO ENJOY MY CAR.
  • vavavoomvavavoom Posts: 42
    Hi Guys,

New here and I'd like anyone's input. I just got a flat on my Maxima 2000 with OEM Toyo tires (Proxes A05). These OEM tires are probably going to cost an arm and a leg, so i was looking to get a whole new set. I was looking at three options, the MIchelin Energy MXV4 Plus, Bridgestone POtenza RE950 and the Touring contact CH95 - all courtesy of the Tirerack search engine. any recommendations?

appreciate it.
  • vavavoomvavavoom Posts: 42
    I"m getting conflicting advice on whether it is "OK" to have 2 different pairs of tires on the car. WHile i understand that getting a same set of 4 is the most desirable, is having 2 differntpairs really a no-no? Tirerack.com says it's a no-no but the 2 local tire companies + my nissan dealer says it should be ok. any input? thanks.
  • whitamwhitam Posts: 2
    How in the heck do you remove the shift knob? I have a new one ready to install, but not sure how to get the old one off. Is it a reverse-screw, regular screw, etc. Thanks!
    how bad was the paint problem that Nissan was willing to replace your car?? also...might wanna lay off the caps lock lol