Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sorento Real World MPG

Comments

• gator4ufimgator4ufim Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Let us know if Kia pres responds.
    Btw, Kia is not the only car company that lies about mpg, Toyota does as well. My new camry advertises 35 highway...I've filled up twice since I purchased the camry 4 days ago...average of 42 mpg! Couldn't be more pleased.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 382
    edited April 2012
    I don't know why people keep repeating that the car companies lie? That is an estimate set by the government. Rarely does a car's actual real mpg match up for every single vehicle that is made of a particular model. It isn't physically possible. There are just too many variables that could give one owner spot on, another better, and another worse. That's why there is a range listed on the sticker. I get better mileage on my 2009 Ford Fusion SEL V6 than the EPA estimates on the highway. Sometimes getting as much as 30mpg when it stated on the sticker that it was rated at 26mpg. My Sorento is going on 2 years old and I have lately only gotten about 24mpg on my 2011 EX V6 highway and 16 city, but this is still within the range. Do I wish it was better? Yes, but it isn't reality. For most people you can't get a better value for the price and the features than this vehicle.
  • mapaxmapax Posts: 3
    i don't know why people point out the obvious: EPA estimates are estimates. duh.

i'm guessing that many if not most of those disappointed with the mileage of their sorento have owned a few cars and have a decent sense of how govt estimates relate to real world. in my experience the sorento under performs in this regard. it actually doesn't even get within the epa range. this combined with the way kia markets the car - leading with the 32mpg estimate, they are setting up buyers for a big let down. my kia isn't a bad car, but knowing what i know now, i'd not have purchased. kia is producing visually well designed cars that are cheaply made and cheaply sold. they correctly figured that there's good demand for a high mpg seven seater so they got one out there by hook or by crook. when favorable conditions align i briefly get 32 on the highway (new smooth highway, no wind, flat). otherwise i get low 20s.
  • joehickjoehick Posts: 28
    I can certainly understand variable and ranges that are estimated for cars in the MPG stickers. The bottom line here for me is that I have a 2012 Sorrento with a new engine put out by KIA that tells me one thing on mileage and I get an absurd difference. I get between 10-12 mpg on my new vehicle, Kinda don’t think that is an acceptable variable, wouldn’t you agree. I know of half ton trucks that get better mileage.
    I wouldn't be happy myself about the mileage. Did you buy the 4 banger and in what state do you reside if you don't mind my asking? I do know that there has not been a huge out cry of people stating the Sorento gets poor gas mileage. Forums alway invite people whom are unhappy to vent their frustrations in a way that makes it seem that almost all of that brands owners are unhappy in some way. I disagree with the other poster that the car is made cheaply or did he mean effeciently so as to offer a quality vehicle at a reasonable price. I wouldn't even have looked at a Kia had the Ford Edge not gotten so expensive. At 40k for similar options I could not swing it with my youngest going to a private college and living on campus. At $46,000 per year we had to make a comprimise. Anyway hopefully you can get the issue with yours resolved or if it was me I would bite the bullet and trade it for something else.
  • chadpro1chadpro1 Posts: 4
    I JUST BOUGHT A 2012 SORENTO LX WITH CON. PKG. THE NEW "GDI" IS REALLY A POWERFUL 4 WITH LOTS OF PEP. YOU MIGHT THINK ITS' A 6.

WITH JUST 230 MILES ON IT I TRAVELED FROM NC.-PA., A DISTANCE OF 450 MILES. I AVG. 28.3 MPG GOING UP AND 30.2 MPG COMING BACK. I PLEASED WITH THE KIA. AROUND HOME I AVG. 23.4 MPG ON COUNTRY/CITY DRIVING.

I HAD A HONDA PILOT BUT IT WAS A LITTLE BIG FOR THE WIFE. SHE REALLY LIKES THIS VEHICLE.

KIA SEEMS TO HAVE DONE THERE HOMEWORK. I NEGO. A GREAT DEAL ON THE OTD PRICE.

I THINK DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH GETTING GOOD GAS MILEAGE.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    just hope the vehicle lasts more than a year or two without major mechanical issues..........it appears they have a durability problem still.....
  • I am thinking about buy a Sorento in these days.

I really interest, which model you got ? 4 or 6??
    Hows ur speed on hwy/free way.
    :lemon:
  • lanshilanshi Posts: 22
    I bought a 4 cyl and the speed on the hwy is good, the 6 we have the fast pickup but mine is fine. I am usually going 70 most of the time as I travel 65 miles one way. gas mileage isn't that great still average 27 when they say up to 32. don't count on really good gas mileage. Traded in a Nissan Altima that was getting 32 and if I knew I wouldn't be up side down would go back but I wanted an SUV so now I am hoping it will get better gas mileage. I am at 16,000 now. Hope this helps overall love the vehicle.
  • chadpro1: I have a 2012 EX with the GDi engine. Very happy with the performance. Acceleration is not as quick as the V6 that I first tried out but OK. I tried out both before buying. Highway crusing is fine. I have 3600 miles and am averaging 24.6 mpg, around town and freeway driving. Crusing at 65 mph I easily get 32 to 33 mpg driving on sourth Texas highways. A little less driving in the Texas hill country. Hope this helps.
  • Thank you very much.
    I love a big SUV, but the mpg is really hurt!!
    Kia sorento is the only one I ""thought"" very good, but I really worried about the mpg that every "predecessors" said.
    I have 2 days to make the choice.
    I do know 25-26 hwy mpg for this huge SUV is really good, and I love the Sorento inside outside, too.
    So, if the mpg is really really hurt, I may buy a prius V (wegan hybrid), or honda accord (not hybrid, but a huge car).
    If you guys have any thought please tell me, I am a young new guy here.
    thank you agian. Orz :blush:
  • Which one is better???!!!! Real world mpg!!
    I heard kia got around 23-26 mpg how about the honda CR-V
  • chadpro1chadpro1 Posts: 4
    I TRADED IN A 2011 HONDA PILOT FOR THE 2012 SORENTO LX WITH THE CONV. PKG.
    THE CONV. PKG. INCLUDES THE "GDI ENGINE, THE NEW 4 CYL. THAT IS SUPPOSED TO GET BETWEEN 22---32 MPG.

IF YOU DRIVE NORMALLY YOU CAN GET GREAT MILAGE.
    THE EPA SUGGESTS THIS MILAGE BUT THE OPTIMAL MPG IS MOST LIKELY BETWEEN 50-60 MPH.

I THINK THAT KIA WILL BE PHASING OUT THE BASIC 4 CYL. SOON.

WITH JUST 240 MILES ON CROSSOVER I TOOK A 1000 MILES TRIP THAT AVG. 29.4 MPG. GETTING 23-24 AROUND MY AREA INCLUDING BACK ROADS/CITY DRIVING.

WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE BUYING A KIA YOU CAN MOST LIKELY SAVE $5000 BUYING IT RATHER THAN THE PRIUS.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION.
    My suggestion is to look at the Ford Edge Ecoboost. 4 cylinder turbo with 240HP rated 21 city and 30 Highway. More second row legroom than most Mid sized Suv's. I know because I own a 2011 Sorento EX V6 FWD which I am considering trading in for a 2012 Edge Limited Ecoboost with Panoramic Roof and 20" Chrome Wheels. Got a good offer on the trade of $23,000 for my Sorento which I only paid $28,106 otd for with a MSRP of $31,100 in June of 2010. I can get the Edge at invoice with a $1750 rebate with the trade. Looking at $41,225 MSRP buying for $38905 then the rebate and trade. Cost more but a more solid feeling vehicle I think.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    my 2011 sorento was made the first week the plant was open. built 10/29/2009. bought 3/8/2010. two plus years and 28k miles it has been perfect. ex v6. highway about 27mpg and averages about 23mpg for our normal driving. in real life v6 gets pretty close to the mileage of the 4cyl and alot more power. bigger engines works easier.
    As I have posted here, I am getting 12-14mpg city, and about 18-19mpg highway. I have written and talked to KIA executive offices and was mailed a brochure on how to drive for better mileage, and a conversation that ended with there are "mileage variables"Great Co. response!!!! I am considering legal action that will undoubtley bring negative attention to the car and the Co. esp. the way they back up there product..
    Don't buy either, they don't stand behind there cars
  • lanshilanshi Posts: 22
    I have tried talking to managers and Co Execs, got the same lame answer as you did. They don't care as long as they sold the vehicle. I am getting 26 on the highway and was told 32. I hope we can do something more. :mad:
  • ediamiamediamiam Posts: 17
    about highway miles..I've noticed a recent trend when it started getting warmer in N.California. I was getting about 27 highway and most recently about 29, resetting the mileage calc such that it is based off of all freeway driving, about 70 mph. Today on the same stretch, it was hitting 32 consistently with temp about mid80s. I currently have about 11k miles. I drive consistently, don't get on the accelerator, always see the eco green light on. This only works on the flats. Going up the hill is like 23 mpg, just like in mixed city/highway.
    Boy That is great, I was told by KIA to do a fuel consuption test by my serviced dealer. He told me there is no such thing and that the only test to do is a highway test as you mentioned. I did it. Set my cruise on 60 for 15-25 miles and got a WOPPIN 15.9 MPG. Great vechicle Going to bring this to the attention of the media via the courts