Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Welcome to the continuation of the Oldsmobile
Intrigue VI
topic. Those of you joining us from
that topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• Hello in Intrigue land.

With just 1300 miles on my 2000, I can say that this is a much tighter car than my '98. I took the 5 up to Bakersfield last week and was running at 100 for part of the way. Smooth and very stable. The 3.5 is a winner so far and I'll let you know what happens as the miles rack up.

I also changed the oil in it this past weekend and it takes 6 quarts of 5W-30. Finally the Americans are realizing that circulating a large amount of oil through an engine can help the longevity by allowing heat to be dissipated more efficiently and get more oil to those furiously revolving parts.
  • I successfully cleaned out the fogged-up inside of the headlights.

I just removed the whole assembly (it is held in place by two white clips that pull up and out, and one electric connecting wire). This step is easier than opening the hood itself.

I then removed the bulbs (5 on each side!) and sprayed the inside with some Simple Green cleaner. Rinsed the whole thing out with water, then carefully applied a blow dryer (didn't want to get the plastic too hot).

Reassembled and drove around for a day without the rubber caps on the back of the assembly (although I did leave the one on that is right next to the engine air intake) to make sure it all dried out.

Piece of cake.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    If the 3.5L has a redline of 6500 rpm was does it shift at 6200? Maybe if it held to 6500 there would be less of a hole when it shifts into second.
    Is it possible to get the PCS without the rear wing? Does olds have a delete option like the impala ls?
  • 14151415 Posts: 249
    The 3.5 is rated 215hp@5500rpms; so you start pushing 6000; the breaking point is close by....

The wing is a great deal--its a beautiful trunk handle and holds the rear down at speeds above sanity.
  • According to the manual, the 3.5 is to use 5W-30 all the time. 10W-30 is an option if your area is in the sunshine belt. I looked for an arrow to show me where a sunshine state is, but all the manual contained were clear instructions. Oh, how I had hoped for an arrow.

In an earlier post Spitasky talked about replacing his bulbs. What I'd like to hear about is, has anyone noticed the lame brights?

The low beams work OK, but when you use your brights the beam pattern is way above the road and you lose illumination unless you like looking at the trees. I noticed that the there is one bright 'V' pattern in front of the car, but it is narrow and does not do what it is supposed to do. The lights have been leveled according to spec. Frustration ensues when I drive my daughter's '96 Civic EX and the Honda throws a great pattern out on low AND high beam. Come on Olds, check the lens and reflector design and tell me the fix is in the mail.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I hate wings, unless they are of the ducktail type like on the impala ss or osv concept car.
    They totally ruin the lines of the car and i think that a spoiler on a sedan is absurd.
    Why doesn't olds offer a 17 or 18' wheel option?
    I also hate gold trim and pinstripes, they also detract from the designer's original intent.
    Just my opinion.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    5W-30 is definitely what should be in the Intrigue. Says so right on the cap under the hood.

RE: Headlights. I find the Intrigue's headlights to be very good, even with the fog lights off. What year is your car limadelta?
  • After the dealer replaced the intermediate shaft and the steering rack all is quite on my 2000 GX Intrigue. It is a program vehicle with 30,000 miles.Have been searching for the tool to remove the oil filter cover. Some reports are that the quick lube joints just charge for a filter and don't replace it. Pep Boy's and Auto Zone now have an after market oil filter available. The cabin filter soon to be available. I plan on using Mobil 1 5/30 engine oil when the change light comes on, if I ever find a filter plate wrench.

As the secret leaks out there should be more support for this Hi tech Awesome vehicle. Presently the support, parts availability, knowledge, etc is about like owning some of the foreign brands.

The ride and drive is excellent and puts the pfun back in driving.
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    The 3.5, like many OHC type engines in fact can take high revs, and are designed as such. Pushrods, like the 3.8 are not so, and in fact
    the IRL cars race an engine that also uses some common parts to the 3.5 and v8. The old idea of the engine being over-revved is just that, old. and the 3.5 has a rev limiter to keep it all in check anyways. In fact you cannot rev the engine above 4k thereabouts in park.

Had the car came with the 3.8, I would not have bought it, instead going to a competitor, all who do not use pushrod engines. There are pros and cons to both engine types, but true car enthusiasts know nothing beats twin cams! Ask Ferrari or Porsche, even BMW. Reliability is of no concern to those who do not see cars as appliances, but choose to take care of them, while enjoying what they do best, rev.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Intrigue is a very good car, one of the best in its class. The class of the mid-size, mid-price sedans for middle-income families.

It is odd, though, to compare Intrigue, or any other family sedan for this matter, with Ferrari and Porsche. They are in different league.

As to the 3.5l vs. 3.8l GM engine comparison, 3.5 is better on highways, while the 3.8 one is better in city traffic. So, it mostly depends on your commute pattern.

My wife and I are commuting about 12-20 miles per day, both direction, all in city. Highway driving mostly for pleasure trips. This is why we bought Regal and did not even consider Intrigue seriously
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    I never comapred the CAR to a Ferrari or Porsche, only that this TYPE OF ENGINE, a cammer, is also used by those makes, as one example. Geez folks, read it right or don't respond. I also disagree about 3.8 vs. 3.5, as the 3.5 has proven to be a better all around engine whether in traffic, open road, and esp. as to smoothness and refinement. Thats why few pushrod engines are offerred these days as compared to years back, and why the 3.8 is to be replaced GM wide.
  • Yes, winter did come again to Minnesota and I must still marvel at the superior traction control system offered in the Intrigue--it uses a combination of engine modulation and ABS brakes, a combination usually only found in more expensive vehicles. The PCS system has only kicked in once (that I know of!)--it really works very well. I've driven all make and mark of 4WD, AWD, FWD, FWD w/ ABS traction control, etc. The Intrigue is much more stable in "mixed" (real world) conditions (scattered patches of ice and snow)than any vehicle I've owned--I'm much more confident driving this vehicle than any other.

• jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    You guys kill me, whining about being censored for your non-Intrigue political viewpoints, and yet you insist that too-many negative Intrigue comments from a single source be deleted from the thread. Hhmm GO figure.

The GM pattern is very distinctive, give the 2000 & 2001 some real road time, they will come down to the ’98 ’99 levels, it’s just the way that GM products perform.

One-two posts a week & and you guys act like I'm hogging the ball. Golf game has peaked for the year [too cold & windy], beside I’ve been busy working on the home projects.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Leave it alone guys, he's just looking for attention.
  • 14151415 Posts: 249
    Glad I ask about whether we should even worry about how high we rev this 3.5 sweetheart and now we know that the engine loves it,begs for it, and might last longer the more it revs...It's a smart engine and can't hurt itself.

hounddog3:::::::Since the shaft and rack quieted the front end, I would like to know the part numbers assigned to both parts for they might indicate another engineering level. Would appreciate any help on this.

jgriff:::::You start to drive your Acura aggressively; it will loosen and become sloppy very quick. I am involved in automotive OEM parts and during the years have spent time working with the Asian folks at their plants.They run clean operations, most facilities are brand new, non-union; and they purchase 85% of their parts from their buddies transplanted to America who also run non-union low wage operations and all were given local concessions as to taxes,no-cost plant facilities and worker training. These suppliers started their operations with a clean slate of no past liabilities, no pension funding,and with the idea that the parts supplied from the Asian locations will be produced by the new low cost USA plant which in turn will start to compete with our domestic sources supplying the Big 3.

I drive all cars the same way---fast--however jackrabbit starts are a waste of time and proves nothing...the Intrigue is driven just like my SS350 Camaro was driven--the only difference it takes a little longer...The Intrigue is one tough car but needs improvement in the braking and steering durability aspect.

The major auto suppliers to the domestics do very little business with the Asians. The Asian have to support their operations back home from the revenue obtained in the USA build so most of the monies go back home to keep those promises fulfilled.
  • I missed a lot these last days...it actually was an effort to catch up.

Great to see some new names popping up.

The Olds article was interesting. I find it hard to believe Olds even spent $92m in the first half of this year [down from $300m previous year], as the only Oldsmobile commercials I saw while considering the Intrigue were for the Aurora...and even they were few and far between.

1415::::Let us know when you'll be hitting I-75 in Tennessee so we can get out of the way...113mph in a Caddy. That's either frightening or impressive...I can't decide which. [Not an attack...remember I am smiling as I post this.]
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Olds should market the Olds Intrigue "Tiger Woods Edition" complete with golf bag and clubs in the trunk. Oh wait! Tiger drives around in a Regal GS!
  • w5kapw5kap Posts: 32
    well, I finally joined a forum. Good for me. I ahve a couple of questions concerning my 1999 Intrigue buit since I'm new, these nay have been addressed before. Sorry if I miised them. First, does anyone else suffer from rattles? God, this thing rattles something firece but I cannot pin down where. Also, I find the cabin extremely noisy. Seems to be a lot of road noaise transmitted into the cabin. ANy thoughts on the rattles will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Me!
  • I am sure you'll get some advice about rattles but I don't have anything to offer in that regard.

I would suggest that you hit SPELLCHECK before posting, it can get fierce around here and you don't want to give anyone the opportunity for a free shot.
  • w5kap: Are the rattles coming from the front left? I had the same problem with my '99. Dealer replaced the steering intermediate shaft and it fixed the problem.