Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    In Canada atleast, VW is raising the warranties to 4yr/80,000 bumper to bumper from 2/40,000 for 2002. About time, seeing how they do carry a premium price for their size/power. My s.o. wants to buy a Passat wagon, she needs some space but she knows she could get by with a Protege5.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    You wrote: certainly assume it will make the Impala owners happy!!!

I do not see why.

The 3.5l Aurora probably deserve this: it is substantially underpowered and does not cornering well. Cannot hold on with my 4-year old Malibu.

However, Intrigue is a very different car. It was designed to be as close the ultimate long-range vehicle, as possible for less than $30k. The execution if the design was not perfect, but not bad at all. Excellent on highways and two-lane rural roads, and not bad at all at city.

It is a pity...
  • krleschkrlesch Posts: 4
    Just wanted to post an update regarding my 2001 GLS. Currently 8000 miles, 2 oil changes using Mobil 1, and NO problems to report. The car has not gotten the greatest gas mileage (21-22 mpg) until this last weekend. Took a trip from the Twin Cities to Brainerd and back (375 miles round-trip). The weather was HOT - 96 degrees with horrible humidity. Used the A/C for the entire trip. Got home, filled up - over 27 mpg!!!
    Finally...the engine breaks in.

And Yes...it has PCS...

More in the future.....
  • swagledswagled Posts: 195
    If that's the case, there goes any possibility of a short run of '03 models. Sounds like even the '02 run will be paltry...

This doesn't sound surprising though. GM is under pressure to close underperforming models, and the Olds line has no defenders with "pull" inside GM.

I doubt I'll be shopping for a car again before 2007 at the earliest. But whether GM is making anything then that interests me is an open question. I'm not optimistic, and I don't even use my GM card anymore.

GM almost lost me even this last time. I was somewhat considering the Gran Prix, but the GP was a bit too pricey for me. I tried the Alero, but a one-day rental convinced me the interior was too small. The Intrigue was a good compromise, and I, as a 33 year old former import owner, was a "conquest" sale like GM has been trying to make.

Personally, I've never believed the saw about not enough sales. Other manuafacturers are willing to produce car lines in the 50,000 unit range. GM wasn't viewing each sale in that perspective and they're still in the mindset of 300,000 units or better.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Think there were over 600,000 W body cars sold last year. GM would like fewer models. Problem is, get rid of the models and lose some sales....permanently.
    Chrysler lost 2% market share when Plymouth was killed. Gm will probably lose 2% when olds dies.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    teo : Mini vans are great for space. When we take the baby on an overnight trip, we have to pack a big stroller, a playpen for her to sleep in, toys, diaper bags and food. By the time you add in our two bags and some shopping, the Intrigue is packed! I can only imagine how bad it will get when number 2 comes along. Right not the Intrigue is just enough space. 2-3 years down the road, I'm not sure a car will cut it.

I don't think Rendezvous is expensive if you stick with a 2WD. They list for C$31K, about the same as my Intrigue GL was. If I can get one for around $28-29K next year, that would be great. Depends on money. I can get a smaller Transport or a MPV for around C$23-24K. I think the Tribute is about the same. It will be next year, who knows what will be around then.

VW wagons I will stay away from. Pricey and small is all I see. Nice fit and finish. Reliability is no better than GM though. Saturn wagon is nice, but my wife will not drive a wagon.

redline65 : Yup! 3-series is a great commuter car, but for a family trip it won't work. 5-series is way out of range. Fantastic cars if you have the DMs. ;-)
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    I went a different route than before. I went to http://www.fram.com and looked up the part number for the air filter in the 3.5. Then I went to http://www.knfilters.com/crossref.htm and entered the Fram part number. Here are the results:

Fram part #: CA6479

K&N #: 33-2057, 33-2086

Why it came up with two hits I don't know. I will be emailing them to see what the difference is between the two. At first I thought that one was for the Aurora but it isn't. One would think that the engines are the same so the filters would be also. Nope. Did a search for the Aurora and, believe it or not, the filter for the V-8 and V-6 is exactly the same.

Will let you know what I find out.

Got a price in writing for the new Intrigue. Once everything is finalized I'll give the details. I will say that when I got into it the odometer had only 8 miles. After test driving the non-PCS Intrigue I found that it is actually very competent down low. Perhaps I'm convincing myself to belive that but I put forth a concerted effort to try to find fault.

I would find it something of a relief to hear a previous PCS owner say that it doesn't make that much difference in the low gears to do without it. I may always wonder if it was worth hunting for longer, when I bought my GL.

I'm thinking about sinking another grand into my car when the tires are worn out, to improve handling to the maximum. Pilots, STBs, upgraded brakes.

For you lurkers out there, it needs repeating that the Intrigue really is built for speed. I'd say it's not until you get to crusing around 80 MPH, that the acceleration "punch" from flooring the beast will feel like "most normal cars". (And even then, you're up to 95MPH pretty soon.)

I've never gotten a speeding ticket in my life. But I just *know* I'll get my first in this car! When I pass another Intrigue that's going (the legal) 65MPH, I think to myself: "How can you STAND it?"
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Obviously you have not floored your intrigue from a 30 mph roll yet. There aren't too many sedans that can keep up with it.
  • 9899olds9899olds Posts: 202
    Like your attitude on our rock and roll car!!!!

Buick is sitting on a dead line for the AARP magazine is pushing Impalas..the Park ave. is a joke..

The only car in the GM lineup which doesn't use the mostly common or interchageable parts is the Intrigue; so its being sliced off..The 3.5 somewhere down the line either due to its size or emissions was a loser..Didn't share anything with the other engines and Cadillac eats through enough Corporate money with Northstar..

Last ticket was in Canada for $300 cdn--speeding--was stopped in farmland Michigan last fall--80 in 55 zone--told to slow down--no points on record..10 yrs ago was ticketed for 59 in a 55 zone.. A joke..

White hair and a civil attitude pays off..

The impala owners will be happy to see the Intrigue die for it eliminates a vastly superior car.
    Ouch on the $300 ticket.

As for the Impala, my wife doesn't like it so we will never have one. Maxima or next generation Grand Prix will likely be what it comes down to next. Of course the whole car world will likely look pretty different in 5 years.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,772
    I found a link with some nice pictures:

http://www.motorcities.com/contents/01AE8501300446.html

It is a little better design than most of GMs current ugly Blade Runner concept cars, but I really wonder how Buick thinks it can sell more than a handful of these. The people who would buy cars of this type are unlikely to even have Buick on their radar screen. Another case of GM's jumbled marketing and product proliferation setting them up for a fall.

Looks like another Reatta to me.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• teoteo Posts: 2,508
    "The impala owners will be happy to see the Intrigue die for it eliminates a vastly superior car."

Mecanically superior, yes, but quality wise sorry but the answer is no. Again if the Intrigue was such a great sedan why the thing did not survive in one way or another? This car could have been a good replacement for the Century/Regal duo if GM brass had decided to keep it in the Buick line.

Credit is given where credit is due....the Short star powerplant, the smooth automatic, the PCS, the better handling and some of the styling cues made it a quite attractive car. But the problem my fellow Intrigue fantatics is that the car failed due to questionable quality and reliability...break problems, suspension noises and body creaks in addition to poor safety scores never helped jump start the reputation of the Intrigue in the market place. Word of mouth would have saved the Intrigue and therefore the Oldsmobile division not solely marketing campaigns.

Also another plus in the Intrigue experience would have been better warranty coverage, perhaps in the 4/48 or 4/50 range. The 3/36 coverage is what you get in your Cavalier or Buick Park Avenue so if Oldsmobile wanted to be the import fighting division they should have shown more confidence in the product in the first place. Ditto for the Aurora.

Speaking of style the thing that I dislike the most about the Intrigue's appareance is the Saturn inspired front end...ugleeee. Most oldsmobiles went with the grill less front styling which cheapens the looks of the car.

the Impala is either a love it or hate it design...and no matter what the car stands out about the sea of anonimous Asian rice burners...

The Impala owners are still one happy bunch...and it is not because the Intrigue will soon be out of the horizon (Most never consider it in the first place)..is because the Impala is a much better built solid car that doesn't creak, bang and rattle like the ultimate GM driving machine....
  • htwiredhtwired Posts: 62
    I agree that the current f body with the 5.7l v 8 is a big time driving machine, but the styling is high profile and somewhat boy racer. GM lacks a high performance rear wheel drive sedan. The Germans have a word for this "tiefstapler" no flash just serious go. I will push my Intrigue as long as possible or untill retirement which ever comes first. If I am real lucky my next and possibly last car will be the BMW 540i a. The automatic transmission will be a concession to my wife and my age. As for GM its product line is nominally better than Ford or Chrysler in terms of overal quality, but there is very little that could be described as breath taking.
    Disagree with you on the Bengal. From what I understand, this will be a small limited production car (like the Prowler). Buick will definitely not sell 100,000 of these. They will easily sell 10,000 though and it's a car that should bring pride back to Buick. I hope it does. I don't think most people who bought the Prowler had Chrysler on their radar either.
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    teo, can't agree with you on the quality issue being the reason the Intrigue failed. That isn't to say it didn't have quality issues. Just look at current sales. Oldsmobile can't keep cars--including the Intrigue--on their lots. If the overall quality was as is being expressed, people wouldn't be buying them like they are. If you think I'm wrong, ask yourself: Did people flock to get the Hyundai Excel or Yugo the last year they were being produced?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the Impala had it's own share of consistant quality issues as well. If I'm not mistaken, you had some. Yours were fixed with the next year. But I could say with as much authority that the Intrigue problems were limited as my "problem" '98 was generally fine. Impala had problems with the engine cradle that was supposed to be so revolutionary along with other things. Nothing to burn the house down for but no better than Intrigue problems.

I think the real problem is, as b4z expressed, with service. Some Olds dealerships were/are just bums. One of the reasons I don't think I had any problems after getting the few things that were wrong fixed was because the dealer I use is genuinely concerned about customer service (I think there's money coming their way if they are rated high or something). And the techs, for the most part, seem to know what their doing.

Intrigue couldn't go to another division even if they wanted it. GM's already talking about combining Buick and Pontiac. Right there you have unnecessary redundancy with the Regal and Grand Prix. Plus, they're going to new platforms. So even if the Intrigue did survive, it too would be redone. That's the reason it isn't going to another divison-- not because of being a flop.

I am with you all the way on the warranty. My wife 3 years ago asked why they didn't at least try to match the powertrain warranty of the competition. Now they do it and cars fly off the lots. That's typical GM blundering. The question now is, How long will it take for them to ruin Buick?

Personally, while it does look Saturn-ish (as did all Oldsmobiles thru the latter part of the '90s) I love the front end of the Intrigue.
    I also disagree with that statement. If the production Bengal cabriolet will be very close to the concept vehicle it will be one stunning machine this side of the Audi TT. You can never compare the Bengal to the Reatta Buick dealers were selling 10 years ago.

The question is this....can Buick successfully take on the failed mission of the Oldsmobile division to bring in new GM buyers???

If Buick gets rid of stale cars such as the Century, LeSabre and Park Avenue I am sure they will be able to make an interesting turn around of their image. The Rendezvous, for better or worse, is the first step in shaking up Buick's stodgy image. The upcoming Buick Cielo looks very promising altough some preliminary 'spy' drawings of the 2004 Regal replacement look sort a discouraging..
    I agree for the most part with your post. The problem is this.... When the Intrigue was launched in late '97, it was marketed as the car that would not only turn around Oldsmobile but also the car that would probably follow the steps of the Aurora to shakeup the stodgy product image of GM at the time.

The Intrigue did awaken interest among the Import only buyers camp and some of you are clear proof of that. The issue was that this car did exhibited a lot of quality control problems in its early years. For the Intrigue to have successfully carved a niche of its own, GM should have followed up the car's introductory years with impeccable quality control and reliability. Had that been the case, the car today would have enjoyed a much better standing in the market place, better reputation, better resale value and quite possible no one would be talking about the dismissal of Olds from the marketplace. 1997 and 1998 were crucial years in the overall public acceptance of the Intrigue and this is the area of execution were GM dropped the ball all the way.

Sure, if buying a new 2001 or 2002 Intrigue is a heck of a deal...heavely discounted units and incredible finance bargains, a 5/60 standard limited warranty (Should have been there in the first place) and a promise of better reliability due to the fact that these cars are into their fourth and fifth production years....that's all fine and dandy but the Intrigue's time to make a lasting positive impression already passed 3 to 4 years ago.

Indeed Oldsmobile dealership service (or lack of thereof) also contributed to the brand failure due to bad reputation when problems became apparent in their vehicles.
  • lee18lee18 Posts: 45
    Some people are convinced Intrigue has a bad quality reputation amongst the general public, and that has kept sales low. I have seen no evidence of it having a reputation of any kind, bad or good. Most people I know have NO knowlege of it.

And as to a bad quality reputation keeping sales low, as I already pointed out, if that made a significant difference then the Taurus, a poster child for rust, shody assembly, and hugely expensive drive train repairs, would have been canned years ago.
    Sells because it is cheap when new, dirt cheap used (Worst resale value among American midsizers) and Ford has done a masterful job in keeping the Taurus appealing in despite of the mediocre engines/platform and tainted reliability history.

Ford sells lots of them to the fleet/rental car market. The Taurus also appeals to the would be Accord/Camry buyers just because offers bigger quarters and standard V6 on a mainstream and non-offensive looking package.

Ford success with the Taurus has been attributed to heavy marketing and sales incentives. Most people know that Taurus are also for the most part unreliable and have lots of engine, transmission, electrical and brake related quirks.

The Taurus SHO V8 was the best and only reason to look and consider buying a Taurus...but the moron known as Jac 'The Knife' Nasser discountinued it after 1999...
    Like I said before, people know nothing about Intrigue including the problems it may have initially had. No one has ever said, "hey.. did you have any intermediate steering shaft problems with that car". It's usually more like.. "hey... nice car. Who makes it?".

Simple as that.
    Looking over the last edition of Consumer Reports, the 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue is listed under 'Used cars to avoid'...need I say more..?
    "Consumer Reports" said it.. need I say more.

Keep in mind they recommend the 2001 Intrigue also.
    But unfortunately a lot of people take them seriously...
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,772
    Dindak, Teo, I think you miss my point. The Bengal is a very attractive vehicle, yes; but, like the Plymouth Prowler, it is totally wrong for Buick's image. Note that the Prowler did nothing to save Plymouth. Now we have a vehicle that is the antithesis of everything people associate with Buick. Let's see, where did this happen before....?

Ah, yes, Oldsmobile. Introduced a whole bunch of pretty good vehicles that were totally unlike their past image. A few people who never would have previously considered an Oldsmobile actually bought them, and liked them. But unfortunately, they turned off a whole bunch of their former customers who, like it or not, were still walking around with money in their pockets looking for a traditional Oldsmobile they could buy. A bunch of those customers walked away from Oldsmobile forever and went to Buick to join the traditional Buick buyers that liked the kind of car Buick makes. As a result, Olds died. Now, Teo, you want Buick to do the same thing that killed Olds? Are you bucking for a Vice-Presidency at GM or something? This sounds like Zarella-thinking... :)

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

He used to be a vice-president over at Bausch-Lomb the same people that makes your trusty RayBan sunglasses and contact lenses drops. That dude is by no means a 'Car Person'. For the most part he is clueless, yet he is the president of GM's North American operations. Thank him personally (Or send him a little thank you note) for the dismissal and failure of the Oldsmobile division.

If I were in that position I would change many things around...but...given GM's archaic corporate culture I dunno.

The Bengal might be the wrong product for Buick but like you said it is designed to increase show room traffic pretty much like the Prowler did for Plymouth, the Viper did for Dodge and the NSX did for Acura.

Look at Lexus. Lexus does not enjoy a high performance image. It is consider to be the stodgiest of high end Japanese luxury cars. They brought over the RWD Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS300) sedan and the car has been criticized because it is too small, too expensive and too radical for the typical Lexus buyer. The car hasn't sold well (I personally like it minus the clear taillight lenses) due to the lack of a manual tranny and a more power 6 cyl engine. In the fall, Lexus will introduce a 5-speed manual and the IS300 Sportswagon in hopes to jump start interest for this vehicle.

Perhaps, the IS300 would have had more acceptance as a high end Toyota model, not a Lexus blvd cruiser. Lexus also introduced the akward looking, French designed Lexus SC430 coupe which is another non traditional product for the Lexus clientele. The Audi TT is better.

The Bengal is to fill a similar niche and it is mainly another Image builder product. This car is not aimed at the Regal/LeSabre buyer but it is preparing the way for the Buick Cielo and other Buick products. I think GM will get it right and better with Buick.

If Oldsmobile would have gotten the Bengal I think things would have gone a bit better.

The Prowler was marketed as a Plymouth, already a dying brand long before this hot rodder was introduced in the mid 1990's.
  • htwiredhtwired Posts: 62
    I say bring back Deloren at least he new cars!
    Is he still in Prison???

If GM had Carlos Ghosn at the top...things would be a lot different.

Just look at the tremendous come back of Nissan with the all new Altima and 260HP Maxima...
    ...to cast Oldsmobile as the "import fighting" division. Wasn't that why GM spent billions setting up the Saturn division? It could very well be that all of the effort that went into Olds would have been better placed in Saturn anyhow.

I suppose I could have bought a Saturn Intrigue, if my GM card points were accepted. Now with Olds gone, I wonder if GM will allow the GM card points to be used on Saturns? (They do in Canada. And I think even Saab allows GM card points there.)
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    teo is talking about a "tremendous" comeback for Nissan because of two cars that haven't even been released yet. Pretty amusing.