Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    You must not have a PCS with the 3.29 gear. My best with my '99 was 29mpg at 78-79 mph.
    With the 3.05 gear 30 mpg should be easily obtainable.
  • redly_oneredly_one Posts: 122
    I see alot of Intrigues in my area too. In fact, I see ~6 of them running around between home and work that are silver and either 98 or 99, just like mine.

Furthermore, I saw one today that was a silver GX (no foglights) with a moonroof, and the creepy part, it had a scratch almost exacly where I have one on my car. I would have been worried had I not been sitting in my car at the time.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    lee18 : These days, many of the parts found in a Honda can also be found in a Ford/GM. Assembly plants located in North America all source parts here also and there is lots of overlap between companies. If one of those parts companies makes a dud, it could affect many brands. I remember a seat belt problem that affected Chrysler, Honda and a couple of others a few years ago.

As for foreign vs domestic, it's a silly argument as it's really very model specific. I just don't like it when people tell me foreign or one brand is clearly superior because it's simply not true. Every company/ car has it's problems and downside.
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    Here are the picts I promised: the type R badge was bought from www.northernmotorsport.com for 6.95 each. I also have one mounted
    above the left front headlite area on the hood.

The "TwinCam 24V" and "LX5/3.5L" decals are avail. from www.firebatscave.com, for around 7-10 dollars a piece if I remember.
    They were custom made when I got them, and can be made to any color.
    The site owner will also make new custom decals to order. And they
    look OEM. They go on easy too. The LX5/3.5 decal is split across (look close) and placed just behind the headlites, on the sides, these cuts are carried over into the headlite's lense stripes.

Oh, and no, type R doesn't stand for Rice wagon, but here its for Rocket (and If you don't know what has to do with Olds, well...)

• focusfocus Posts: 225
    Vcjumper: you are right on the money. It is all LIP service, they said the same thing with all previous Cadillac - new and improved. Where are they now? But people fall for it anyway.
    More Hp, less weight. Move on or eat dust.
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    In case the picts in post 4242 do not come up (they did for awhile, but do not at the moment, why i do not know), go to:
    www.picturetrail.com and type in ketch for the
    album to see as a guest, then click 'my album"
    Decals look good. I like the LX5/3.5L especially.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    dindak ::: assuming that the guy can get around $13k, and not knowing what he paid for it, that still is about a 50% hit from the MSRP [approx. 26k].

Would you not agree that it is pretty hefty bite in just 2 years ownership?? He needs to keep it for about 14 years, right?

I do agree foreign parts may tend to be more expensive, however I do believe that their failure rates rates, to be better over the long haul. Meaning you can drive them hard and put a lot of miles on them before that start breaking. But, I tend to get gun-shy when a car starts costing me too much money, and dump it.
    Of course the problem with your story is NO ONE pays anywhere close to list for an Intrigue. Same can not be said for Hondas. Apples and oranges.
  • I have a 99 with the 3.8. When traveling only highway miles, (70-80 - air on ) I do regularly achieve 30 mpg. I don't drive highway that often. So far for the first 30,000 miles I am averaging 22mpg.

Your mileage may vary.
  • jgriffjgriff Posts: 362
    dindak ::: I beg to differ with you sir, Toyota & Honda tend to sell for a lot closer to MSRP than GM's do. I'll bet you there are more than a handful of people that do not dicker much when it comes to buying cars, some just simply don't like the 'haggling' process.

Since you are a big Saturn fan, are you willing to go full pop on a fully loaded Saturn L [that is around $24k (US)]?? And what about the upcoming Vue, that you think might fit your growing family needs??

Seems a lot of companies are trying to get off the discount incentive merry-go-round, as it cuts too deeply into the bottom line. In other words, Produce & Price it Right and it will sell itself.

Too many people will walk/run right off the lot or showroom, if they get sticker shock. Do you think that maybe that was one of the problems with selling the Intrigue?? A GLS, MSRP is over 30k, or GL at 26-27. People over on the 2002 Camry board are steaming about a newly designed fully loaded Camry XLE being priced over 30k. How can/could Olds justify pricing/selling an un-proven Intrigue for that amount in past years??

Just trying to inject some view points, from the other side of the fence.
    I'm not sure what you are reading.

If you re-read my post you will see that I was implying that Hondas do sell close to list. GM cars do not. Hence the point... Apples and Oranges.

Never said I was a Saturn fan either. I only hope they become a real import fighting division now that Olds is gone. LS 3.0L and 2.2L engines are very good though.

Only thing you are "injecting" is a lot of hot air.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's just talk about the Intrigue in this discussion. Let's DON'T talk about each other.

See pat Aug 27, 2001 3:28pm for links to places for some of the off-topic conversation that's been occurring here.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • I recently had a problem with my 99 Olds intrigue GL - in which I saw a service engine light, and when I pulled the code it said I had a faulty TCC Clutch.

The dealer tells me I need to replace or have rebuilt. For those who don't know thats a lot of of money - and I just rolled out of my Warranty based on having 40.000 miles on it.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Or am I just extremely unlucky?

Also, is there any way to not bend over and take it from the dealer just because i'm 4,00 over the Warranty?
  • What engine do you have?

What is the EXACT code you had returned?

What does the dealer say you need to have replace? Cost?
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    The overdrive in my 2000 failed sometime before I got it at 22K miles. I never saw a check engine light and didn't even realize I didn't have OD until I started comparing revs in 3 and D (plus thinking that 2900 rpm was too high for 70 mph.) Lucky for me it was a warranty repair and they did the steering shaft at the same time. They replaced probably a dozen parts and had 18 hours of shop time!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Well got the annual insurance rate for my 99 intrigue GX. $2500. Its gone up $900 for nothing (I have no tickets or accidents since I started driving 13 years ago). Oh well time to shop around!
    GM has come up with new fantastic plastic for use with its vehicle exteriors! Lets put it on all of them!

GM Plastic Announcement

• mosaixmosaix Posts: 106
    I see quite a few Intrigues around(so I don't understand how they are not selling well) but if there is any car that I see to damn many of it's the Camry. I read somewhere that the Honda Accord is actually outselling the Camry now and I see my share of Accords as well, but I swear you see at least a dozen Camrys in every parking lot. Most of them are in dull colors like grey, white, or that dull green and they have the plastic wheel covers. Don't you just love the fact that no matter how basic of an Intrigue you get, it still comes with alloy wheels and 16" tires. Not to mention a V6, ABS, and other extras. Local dealer is selling all 2001 Oldsmobiles for $44 under invoice as part of their 44th aniversary. And then they are applying the $2000 cash back from Olds on top of that. I crunched some numbers just for the heck of it and a GX model WITH the feature package(remote locks, traction control, cd player, power driver seat, etc) can be had for a bit UNDER $20K. Folks, that is a darn good deal. Your strictly in 4 banger territory if you try for a Camry or Accord at that price and the Intrigue has a better warranty to boot. Maybe this is why folks are seeing alot of them recently.
  • mosaixmosaix Posts: 106
    I have yet to see an Intrigue exactly like mine though. Black with chrome wheels, gold badging, PCS, and a dark grey interior.
    There are five Camry's at my office out of about 30 vehicles. 3 prev gen, 2 current. Two are the green with plastic wheel covers. The rest are grey or white.

We also have 5 Civics and 3 Corollas. I drive the only domestic sedan of recent (1995 or newer) vintage. There is an Alero coupe, Dakota, and Montana though. It is a young demographic (I'm average or a bit old at 29), and domestics don't do well in that segment here.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Posts: 153
    Took my 99/3.5 in today. coolant light has been coming on periodically. Plus, I've been having the headlight dim issue and fluctuating blower speed on the ac.

I had the alternator replaced early this year with #10464395 GENER REM 2.275.

Picked up car this afternoon. Paperwork say's:

LOW COOLANT LIGHT INTERMITTENT. RECOVERY BOTTLE A BIT LOW. TOPPED OFF COOLANT RECOVERY BOTTLE. PERFORMED PRESSURE TEST, NO LEAKS FOUND.
    #12346290 COOLANT 8.800.

LOW ALT VOLTAGE OUTPUT. PERFORMED AVR TEST, REPLACED ALTERNATOR ASSY.
    #10464395 GENER REM 2.275.

BATTERY LEAKING ACID. REPLACED BATTERY. PERFORMED AVR TEST.
    1 78-7YR BATTERY.

I don't know why they keep using the same alternator. Don't care for now, it's costing them money. Have 15K on car and 1.5 yrs left on warr. Next time I'll insist on the re-re-re-re-designed one. They must be trying to deplete inventory while they can.
    vcjumper : You are paying WAY too much for insurance. Are you married? I'm married/33 and paying under $1100/yr. Try Belair Direct, they are pretty good. I get my insurance through my old company still, but Belair was almost the same price.

mosaix : The deals on 2001 GXs left are really good here also. Cash price is advertised for C$23,990 (about U$16K). Can't go wrong!
  • focusfocus Posts: 225
    in all 2002 GM cars, as mentioned in CBC (tv).
    Single. Hmm maybe buying a ring for her is cheaper in the long run :-). I've got a bunch of online quotes tonight and the cheapest I've found is $1800+3% tax. Tried Belair, got quoted $2100.
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    I never had any luck with the online quotes from Geico and Progressive. They were about 2 to 3 times what I pay now, which is about USD$700/yr for the Intrigue with State Farm, full coverage.

Whatever happened to etharmon?
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    I also pay around $700 for my 2000 with State Farm. I'm sure it would be more in a major metro area.

Prior to buying my Intrigue in April, I never saw any (or at least I never noticed.) Now that I'm driving one, I see them all the time.

When I was shopping, there were at least 10 2000 Intrigue on 4 different (GM) dealer lots. I'm pretty sure they were all ex-rental cars (as was mine.) All were GX models in either white or silver, all had 22-29K miles, all priced about the same ($16k). The National Rental Car sales outlet had 4 99s but were out of warranty due to mileage.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Try Prudential insurance. I was with State Farm, which was about $600 more a year.
    I did increase my deductibles though.
    They also have a big multicar discount.
    My insurance went down a little when I got married, but not that much. Just under C$1100 all in sounds about right with exchange if others are paying U$700.

You sure you have a clean record vcjumper? I would call the MTO and make sure nothing got on there by mistake. I can't believe you are paying that much.