Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    I traded my Intrigue recently on a '09 LaCrosse and it is interesting to compare the two, since they are both W-bodies. The advantages of the Intrigue are the light, airy greenhouse and the feeling of room it imparts, and the 3.5 Shortstar. The LaCrosse is far quieter, smoother-riding, takes small bumps far better and is more advanced in terms of geegaws and conveniences. Surprisingly I found handling to be pretty much a wash so far. It isn't fair to compare a brand-new car to one with 7 years of use, but the difference in the Buick in terms of the lack of buzzes and rattles, road and engine noise, and quality of interior materials is quite remarkable. But I still have fond feelings towards my '02 Intrigue.
  • dnice1dnice1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 oldsmobile intrigue with 150,000 miles needs a head gasket the cost is 1300.00 is it worth it? Should I put that much money into it. Should I junk it or get another engine? Please help!
  • newobnewob Member Posts: 1
    i have a wierd problem my left low beam doesnt work but my high beam does. i put in a new bulb and it still dont work. i checked the power to each positive and negative and i didnt get anywhere near what i should.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    That seems a bit high for a head gasket repair. Is that an independent or dealership estimate? I had the beginnings of a head gasket failure before I traded my 2000 Intrigue. My mechanic was thinking it would cost about $700-$800. also what engine do you have? Both the 3.8L & 3.5L was offered in 1999.

The question is how much will another engine cost and what's the warranty? How long do you plan to keep the car?

A quick check on E-Bay show 1999 engines (3.8 & 3.5) going for $800 - $1925. The more expensive ones have a warranty.

Personally, I would repair the head gasket if the rest of the engine was fine. Should be less money. Plus you know the engine.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    2001 and later intrigues are quieter due to the double inner wheelwell liner.
    My '99 drove me crazy at 80mph. sounded like a neon with all the road noise.

I woul recommend a junkyard engine rather than spend $1300. Which seems kind of high anyway.
  • root777root777 Member Posts: 7
    A good source for used engines.......of course it'll cost ya that amount again to have it installed if your not up to it

http://market.autopartsfair.com/oldsmobile-used_engines/intrigue-catalog.html?ca- mpaign=autoguide
  • nitram1112nitram1112 Member Posts: 1
    Good Morning
    We have a 1998 olds intrigue, that overheated, and leaked coolant. We replaced water pump, and thought problem fixed. Well this morning coolant has leak again. Reserve is down about a 1/3. What could it be? Thanks for the help
    I'm assuming there is no pool of coolant under the vehicle....

It could be a couple of things: blown head gasket or intake manifold gasket failure. Because you mentioned that the car overheated, I'm putting my money on the head gasket failure.
    A similar incident happened to me this summer going to Dallas.
    car overheating loosing fluid ect. Though the leak seemed to really be coming from the mounting point of the coolant reservoir. it was 110 outside ..it took me 25 gals of water and 5 gals of coolant.and although I am against the idea of putting additives in coolant....I did.......didn't have a problem with it the rest of the summer and has been running cooler than it ever was.

my monies on the thermostat sticking
    :surprise:
    Bars Leak Buddy but not all of it like only 1/2 to 1/3 of the bottle
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Also, make sure the overflow bottle is not leaking. The plastic bottles do age and can develop a crack that you will not notice because it drips out gradually while you are driving. The 3.8L engine did not have the manifold gasket issues of the 3.5L and the 3.4L V-6's.
  • nitram1029nitram1029 Member Posts: 1
    Good Morning and thanks for your reply
    After replacing water pump there was no coolant leaking. But after running car, and then turned off, some dripping coolant from underneath car is happening near the back of engine. I would say probably a 1/3 to1/2 cup.. this happens after running it.
    thanks
    Some owners of the 98 & 99 Intrigues with the 3.8 L engine will disagree with you. The 3.5L in the 99-02 Intrigues did not have an issue with intake manifold gasket. Built on a different engine block which is no longer used by GM.

It appears the OP is losing coolant through a leak. Where he is seeing the leak should narrow it down.
  • jensolds00jensolds00 Member Posts: 5
    I have been having issues and have read that it could be caused by a faulty ignition switch. My turn signals work when they want and I have the ABS, Trac off, brake, and service engine lights on on my dash and they have been on since a little before I replaced my tie rod ends. I am not sure what is the cause but I also have issues with the air, my compressor and heat works just the blower seems to work when it wants to work. I need help. I am to the point that I want another car but I love the way this one rides and drives when it's now having problems. Also when I use the cruise control it doesn't stay engaged and usually cuts off after a few mins. I am baffled and am just waiting for it to catch fire with all the electrical issues. The gas hand floats a lot to. Sometimes it seems to work and most of the time it sits on empty or jumps to full. PLEASE HELP!!!! :confuse:
  • palmieri78palmieri78 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 99 Intrigue GX. I recently opened up the panels/trim around the gearshifter and the stereo/AC console, because I am going to be swapping out my stock radio/cassette stereo unit for a stock radio/cd/cassette unit from another Intrigue.

Near the gearshifter, I noticed a set of wires, leading to a small harness/plug. There were 3 wires (white, brown, black). The wires originated near the dash and gearshifter in park, and the open-ended plug went towards the armrest console.

Does anyone have any idea what that would be? I am guessing maybe an aux harness to then run wiring from that area towards the trunk, for a cd changer or something (I never had one in the car, though I am the 2nd owner--1st owner had the car for less than a year)

If that is an aux harness for the radio, would it be possible to plu something into it, and then plug an ipod into that?

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated!

I can't figure out how to post a pic from my computer, so I can email you a pic if you would be willing to take a look:

Thanks!
    The blinker light issue is with your emergency light switch. I have had to put a dime under the switch why they are wired through there I can't imagine but they are. The trac control off and ABS is due to the fact you need to replace tour brake pads ...pay the extra for ceramics and you won't have to worry about that one again. :)
    I replaced all of my brake pads and the lights still will not completely go off.....Most of everything is off and on like it only wants to work when it wants to and then other times things work correctly with no issues. I don't understand any of it when I take it to the shop it runs perfectly except the lights on the dash they still stay on. I live in a small town so its just a small shop I am going to try to get it to a bigger town and have it checked out. Since it has been getting cold I have noticed it acting up like trying to stall a little and the lights flickering slightly at night until it warms up then those problems seem to go away. I think it's possessed my husband thinks it's funny. I really expect wiring issues or something because of the way things are not constantly happening just every so often.
    Typically the ABS, Trac off, Service engine soon light points to a problem with the wheel sensors that control the Antilock Braking system. A sensor is located on each of the 4 wheel hub assemblies. The problem is you cannot buy the sensor separately and have to replace the entire hub assembly. I have read on other forums where folks have been able to repair the sensors by splicing the wires. You can give that a try.

A faulty ignition switch can cause many weird things to happen including what you described. Are you having any other issues like hard starting, stalling, etc.?

The air conditioning problem could be a loss of refrigerant. I'm basing this on your comment that the compressor is coming on and the blower is working. I would have a mechanic test the system and add refrigerant with the dye in it. The AC system is a closed system so you should never need to add refrigerant unless there is a leak. IF the problem is low refrigerant, you likely have a leak in the system.

I had the same problem with the fuel gauge in my 2000 Intrigue. It floated for a while and finally only showed "full" or "empty". Interestingly, the bell would go off when the fuel was low. I never bothered to get it repaired and simply relied on the trip odometer. Based on my commute I would fill up when I reached 375 miles. If i did more city driving that tank, i would fill it up earlier. More highway, it could last to 425 miles. I actually made it to 450 miles. My car cutoff as I pulled into the station and I coasted to the pump. The fuel gauge is located on top of the fuel tank which can be accessed through the floor in the trunk on the driver side. Check prices at websites like Rockauto or GMpartsdirect.com

Also get the car scanned for OBD codes. You could have other issues that tripped the check engine light.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
    Last night on the way home the lights and well everything went out for a second and then came back up. It seemed like it was going to cut off and that happened twice. It did the same thing last winter every night so this isn't a new problem. I have read the I could try changing the alternator but the Bosch I have only found remanufactured ones. I am not very car savvy but I am defiantly going to have this one crushed and have a party when I do. I do not wish this headache on anyone. My husband tests the car the next day and it drives fine until I leave work at 12am and have to use the lights then it acts crazy again. I guess I am just gonna start looking for a new car I do not want to put to much more money into it and its not worth near as much as the repairs cost. Thanks for your help though. I am really frustrated with this car!!!
  • billcarsonbillcarson Member Posts: 23
    while you are at it if your husband finds this all funny i would shop for a new husband also.
    Yeah I have been thinking about it to... Nah I just wish he actually believed me about it. He thinks it's just a ploy to get a new car, and I am the one that pays for my own car. Go figure. If your wife is complaining of an issue test it at the time the problem is happening and well since the mechanics work during the day they are seeing the same thing that my husband see and keep telling me that there is no problem. When for 2 nights now it tries to stall (all electrical flickers) until the car warms up. I can't explain it.
    back in 2004 or so my wife complained that as she sat watching tv in the evening she would hear loud sounds coming from the attic.i was working nights at the time and told her that birds were nesting in there and i did not want to disturb them.turned out to be a family of racoons and a few thousand dollars later and four months down the road they were gone.well i guess my ex wife was right.as far as your car goes i feel your pain as electrical issues are the hardest to troubleshoot, especially in this vehicle.i am an electrical engineer so the first thing i did was test all aspects of the electrical system that i could.all connections on this car must be cleaned.i have read so many blogs about alternator, grounding,sensor and components affecting the electrical system problems that i am afraid to wander too far from home in mine.too bad because they ride soooo nice when they are right.i wish i could help you but you may need a visit from father caras. good luck.
    The flickering headlights is a "feature" of the Intrigue. I would do as billcarson suggests and get your electrical system (battery, alternator, etc.) checked. have the mechanic check the ground connections as well.

have your husband read this forum and he'll understand some of the problems with the Intrigue.
  • cooljcoolj Member Posts: 15
    I have a chance to get a 1999 Olds Intrigue with the 3.8L and 112k miles for $2000 / may need some front end work because it hits bumps hard and some noise from the front end. Very clean in and out and one owner. Any comments please!!!!!!!!
    i would pass.this is a much better car in 2001 and 02".3.5 engine is a winner and the electrical system received some mystery upgrades in those years.wheel well insulation was also added to quiet this somewhat noisey car.good luck though if you go for it.
  • bold_1bold_1 Member Posts: 31
    I was talking to a mechanic earlier who looked at my 'trig (1999 w/3.5 186k miles) and told him I was planning to drive to Georgia in January, about 550 miles. He told me he wouldnt advise it because of the mileage and thinks her road trip days are long gone. It is my daily driver I am confident it make the trip and back.I've made several long trips over 120k miles with no problem. I love this car and am very meticulous about maintenance and upkeep. I think with a fresh tune up and oil change before the trip it should be fine like it always has been. What do you fellow trig owners think?
    depending on how much car knowledge you have you might know your car better than anyone else.these are highway cars so we are all rooting for you.i think you're gonna make it.
  • jwales19jwales19 Member Posts: 6
    Yeah, it's up to you. You know how well your car does. I have a 2000 with 167K on it and we took a 1000 mile road trip recently, I don't even blink at anything under 3hrs each way. We've driven this car all up and down the east coast and I didn't even buy it till it had 100k on it. My car run like a champ, and cruises great on the highway, I think you'd have to have a feel for it if you think your isn't doing so well. Are there any problems that make you hesitant? Does it fail to start, die randomly? shake badly? Have transmission issues or bad shifting?
    none of the above, i have the violent shaking at idle and take off from a bad engine mount but thats going to be fixed before my trip. The only thing i have noticed lately is sometimes after a warm start, it'll fire and die immediately but starts right back up on the second try. :D
  • 99intrigue0099intrigue00 Member Posts: 15
    Jen

I am pretty sure you are dealing with multiple, known problems with your Intrigue.

First, do you have the following dash lights on : "Service Vehicle Soon (yellow), Trac Off (yellow), Anti-Lock (yellow) and Brake (red)? If so, it is likely that your Electronic Brake and Traction Control Module (EBTCM) is bad. (sometimes they go bad intermittently). To confirm, you would need to go have a special brake scanner put on the vehicle (most Autozones don't have these) - if it has a code C0550 the most common issue is a EBTCM going bad. There are some repair places on Ebay, but you have to remove, ship and reinstall the EBTCM. Not a bad job, but you have to be careful. The car can be driven without the EBTCM (with the lights on it isn't working anyway) but you won't have any ABS or traction control. Your car might not have traction control (does it have the button on the console rearward of the shifter?) so you might not have that light.

The flickering lights when the engine is cold is likely the air pump for the air injection system - these pumps live under the front fender and fill with ice or water and die, drawing current as they try to run. Again, a known issue with the 3.5l engine (which is what I assume you have).

You might try surfing over to the Intrigue forum on automotiveforums.com. Fixes for these issues are often posted over there.

Hope this helps!
    by now good old jen got herself a new car and a new husband.
  • donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    I say go for it. I have a 2000 Intrigue with 235,000 Kms (141,000 miles) and it runs and looks as good as the day I bought it back in 2001. My mechanic says with the way it is maintained I should easily get 350,000 kms. I'm still getting a minimum of 30 MPG highway. Had a few of the issues that plague the Intrigue (ISS being the most significant) but nothing major. Have always enjoyed this car.
    Good luck
  • jwales19jwales19 Member Posts: 6
    Yeah, it sounds good, I wouldn't be too afraid of it. Was there any specific reason the mechanic thought it shouldn't go on the trip?

Donp9, I haven't been able to get over about 28mpg on the highway, more like 27 ish depending on conditions and speed, have you done anything to help your gas mileage? When you say highway driving, how fast are you talking? Anyway, it's not a big deal, 27mph is fine and I love the car, just thought I'd ask.
  • ramon7ramon7 Member Posts: 6
    i am having a problem with my heater. when i turn on the heat it only comes out of the passenger side while the driver side stays cold what could be the problem
  • donp9donp9 Member Posts: 29
    Most of my highway driving is done at 65 MPH. I find any faster and the gas mileage really drops dramatically. I.m retired now so no need to get any place fast.
    @jwales19 no specific reason. he just stated it would be "risky". I just took a 5 hour ride round trip this past weekend and everything went smooth as glass. One question-I had my tie rod ends replaced by an independent mechanic. The steering is tighter than what is was, but not tight enough. A half turn of the wheen and i was able to turn through an intersection etc. now it seems as though (even though it is tighter than before) one of the wheels is turning faster than the other?? maybe i should take it to the dealership and have them "tune" it the way a GM vehicle is supposed to run...all in all I kno with the miles i have its not going to be perfect but some things are just irksome :shades:
  • swingfirstswingfirst Member Posts: 3
    I have an 99 Olds intrigue and in the front end there is this metal tube that came down on the passenger side, almost under the front bumper. it hung loose for a while but I tried to secure it. it came loose, apparently, and got a hole in it. Now my power steering fluid is draining out of it. I would fix this (tube/hose/line?) except I can't seem to find out what this part is actually called. can I please get help? this (tube/line/hose) is aluminum and comes down on the passenger side, goes to the driver side, does a U and goes back to the passenger side before disapearing up inside the engine again.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    A half turn of the wheen and i was able to turn through an intersection etc. now it seems as though (even though it is tighter than before) one of the wheels is turning faster than the other??

Sounds like oversteer . Did he do an alignment? If not then get one done. Sometimes you can get it right by some fancy measurements, sometimes not.
  • motorcity6motorcity6 Member Posts: 427
    How's business??? I am the 3 Intriguer...1998,1999,and 2002 model years..I told the local Caddy dealer if they take an Intrigue in trade, call me.
    What can i have done to the steering/suspension system to get the "tightness" of the car back? after replacing tie rod ends, both front hubs, rear and front struts my trig (99 gl 3.5liter, 195k) still turns wide like a Caddy or something. Its like I have to oversteer to get the car to turn normal corners. It also feels like its excessively leaning to one side but i cant really tell unless i have someone drive it and i drive behind. On the highway when switching lanes it seems like the nose points to the left or right and the rear of the car follows. very loose. Also it seems like the right front dips lower when going thru a "dip". HELP! :confuse:
    You need to go to the dealer (or reputable shop) and have the steering changed in the on board computer for stiffer steering. There are 2 settings.
    :shades:
    The alternator is under powered on amps for all Intri :shades: gues
  • xipswichxxipswichx Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2010
    By fog lamps I mean the yellow-orange lamps sitting between the headlamps and they are always on. This is a 99 olds intrigue GL. Anway, if you have any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    If you mean that they are always on when the car is running and not when it is shut off, that is normal. Those are the daytime running lights and are also the turn signals.
    Actually the problem is with the voltage regulator in the original alternators. If it was noticed during the warranty period, folks actually got their alternators replaced.
    Did you have the alignment checked?
    Supposed to be on? That's weird. I think it's illegal in California to have day time running lights on in daylight or something and believe me, you don't want a traffic violation in Cali, it'll cost you.
    Daytime running lights illegal to run inthe daytime....in CA? Can't speak about their legality in CA but I find that odd if true.

As kplacer stated, the turn signals double as the daytime running lights on the Olds Intrigue. If these are the lights the OP was talkng about, his vehicle is operating normally.
    Pretty sure it was illegal, at least in the 90's. Anyway, I can't think of another car that has running lights always on.
  • 99intrigue0099intrigue00 Member Posts: 15
    Oh, please. GM has had daytime running lights for years. GM thought they were a better safety feature than antilock brakes because they were proactive and helped even those not doing anything wrong.
    Well I called the dealership here and they tell me always-on DRLs have been standard on GM vehicles since the late 90's. I just gotta look harder, I guess. :blush:

Also there is a law against driving with parking lights in CA and I got confused between parking lights, fog lamps and DRLs.