Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,542
    I had heard all sorts of horror stories about R134 too, to the point where I was about ready to get one of those alternate refrigerants put in to replace the unobtainable (in Canada) R12. (Actually I found out later it can be obtained here but you have to get someone who services commercial refrigeration units to do it on the sly for you; auto A/C places claim its against the law to refill with R12 up here now).

But I got stuck in my Buick Park Avenue on a hot day in June and decided to get it converted to 134. And I was amazed, the thing blows nicely cold. Perhaps not quite as teeth-achingly cold as a perfectly functioning R12 system, but close. Vent temps were about 42 degrees on a 90 degree day. No complaints so far (and there won't be for another few months now!)

A friend has a restored '71 Cutlass and the freon A/C in that thing is just amazing. It will put icicles on your chin, I swear. :)

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• mirth - The 5/60 warranty is good on all Oldsmobiles purchased through 10/01/02.

wbhall - Not a chance in hell the Intrigue will be rebranded. I'd be willing to bet my 401(k) on it.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    It has been around in its current form for long enough, 2002 should be it.
  • axr6,

I have the same problem exactly. Startin is hard, then it stalls 2 minutes after I start moving. 99 GL. I had a starter problem around 35K problems. Wouldn't even crank on occasions.

Question for board. What does the carank sensor do? How easy/difficult is it to replace?
  • The warranty on the Crankshaft Position sensor is covered under the Standard Warranty which is 3/36000.

Here is something I learned reading the warranty. The emissions warranty is greater for the California Emission regulation and is 3/50,000. The California regulation covers other states in addition to California, like NJ and NY. Never knew that.

My mileage is 41K, so I will press this as a warranty claim.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    That salesman that told you the Intrigue would go to another division is dreaming. More than likely the only current Olds that has a chance at going to another division is the Bravada. The Intrigue would have been up for a redesign in 2003 or 2004 so they will simply drop the car and not have a replacement. This is pretty much the way Olds will go out. Hopefully, some of the Intrigue will rub off on the next generation Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix.

ab348, what year is that Park Avenue that you converted to R-134a? Dumb question anway, if it was old enough to have originally had R-12 then it must be an older model. Which goes back to my point that part of the cooling problem newer cars have is they use smaller components like the compressor. I can tell you for a fact that the compressor on my 89 Olds T-sedan was larger than the one on the Intrigue, ditto on the alternator. That car went over 100K before it ever needed an alternator replaced. A/C was still blowing cold when I sold the car. I'm all for space saving and efficiency, but sometimes I feel there are compromises made for these. Take trucks and SUVs, most still have very cold A/C. With larger space to work with, manufacturers are able to use larger condensors, compressors, and other components. Anyway, all this talk about cold A/C is making me wish for warm weather again.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    Just curious, who in here has the oldest and/or highest mileage Intrigue?
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    swagled : Don't like the current 626 at all. What a dud car that is. The new design looks very sleek and from what I have read, will have some decent performance numbers also.

wbhall : The dealer I bought my car from is very good for oil changes, Unfortunately it's 300K kms from here so I can only go if I'm visiting my parents which I'm not doing until Christmas. Local dealer had the nerve to charge me extra for the 3.5L oil filter last time.

isseyvoo : We are considering an 02 Alero for next spring if we decide against a van or SUV. I love the car and with my C$2000 Olds credit and incentives it will be a steal. Current Olds lineup is the best division GM has IMO.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I think one2one had the highest mileage until his accident.
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    Yep, had a '98 with 80,000 miles (as of July 2001) before some punk graciously made a way out of my payments and being lopsided so I could get a 2001 ;-)
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    Since the Intrigue/Regal/Grand Prix are on the same platform and since aftermarket places sell one strut tower brace for all three, is it safe to assume that I could get an stb from a Pontiac or Buick dealer? The closest Olds dealer from work is too far to get to during lunch and my local dealer's parts dept is closed on Saturdays.

I actually answered my own question as I typed but since others might ask I figured I post it anyway :-)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,542
    So we have money being spent on a hatchback version of a competent but hardly top-class midsize car, instead of being used to make it world-class...

We have another junk Suzuki product masquerading as a Chevy...

We have a new Caddy being introduced with an engine that has already been declared obsolete...

We have a new engine that sounds suspiciously like the one being discontinued in the Intrigue, and another with a pushrod design (when was the last time someone designed a new pushrod engine?)...

And we have what sounds like a midsize version of the atrociously ugly cladding-ridden Avalanche, which will probably be an equally ugly vehicle.

And people say that vaudeville is dead... obviously not, as long as Zarella is around.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Yes the part will be orderable from any GM dealer.. My dealer gets mine the next day. F Bar kit part number 12456148.
  • "So we have money being spent on a hatchback version of a competent but hardly top-class midsize (Malibu) car, instead of being used to make it world-class..."

This is in regards to the NEXT generation Malibu, NOT the current one!
  • 1way - Welcome to the board. Please tell us more about your first experience with your Intrigue and why you chose to purchase another.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Everybody knows Mr. "1way" story...
  • Used gmpartsdirect.com to get some stuff for my Intrigue. It's a good alternative to the dealer if you are buying something expensive or several small items. I stocked up on cabin air filters, air filters, wiper inserts etc. Cost is about half of what dealer would charge.

The catch?

Shipping is $10 on the first item and 18% on the rest of the order. So if you order a 25 cent screw, you will pay $10.25. You have to order a bunch of stuff to make it worth while. No tax unless you live in NC.

A few examples:

Cabin air filter:
    Dealer: $25+tax Gmpartsdirect $12.52 + 18%

Plastic Lug Nut Cover for wheel:
    Dealer $6 +tax Gmpartsdirect $2.07 + 18%

Wiper inserts
    Dealer: $12.15 + tax Gmpartsdirect $6.26 + 18%

You need to know your part number to order. They will look it up for you if you email them,
    No phone support but you can email them. Just another option for people who feel their dealers charge too much for parts.
  • swagledswagled Posts: 195
    ab348:
    when was the last time someone designed a new pushrod engine?...

--
    Chysler introduced a new pushrod 3.3L V6 to use in their resigned minivans, I think in 1993. I read somewhere this engine has been punched out to 3.8 now. Not sure if it's still using rods, though.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Chrysler's 3.8 is still an OHV in its minivans last time I rented one.