Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• focusfocus Posts: 225
    my windshield got fog up very easily, as soon as i got in, even with the window roll down, a slight haze develop in the front. anyone know why or have similar experience?
    in an intrigue, barr none! The factory speaker system is not bad, but if you want top notch sound, you got to replace them (made in mexico).
    i finally have mime replaced, tweeter and woofer; along with a sony head unit, a carver amp, a sony digital processor, a 10 disc sony cd changer and a 15" infinity woofer (disconneted my rear). I am in sonic heaven....
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    I have a sony 10 disc changer that plays mp3 cd's, works quite well. Also have a Sony ES head unit though along with a JL Audio sub and replaced speakers/installed an amp.

They do make a model that works through an RF modulator though (So you tune to a fixed FM frequency to hear the CD changer).

There are a tonne of head units out now that play mp3 cd's, maybe check out www.caraudioforum.com or epinions.com?
    Played with one on the highway today when I noticed him approaching me quickly in the left lane when I was going 85mph or so. He pulled a bit on me on our 60-100mph runs, but less than a full car length, closer to half. Maybe he was driving an automatic.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Altima auto does 0-60 in about 7.3 secs.
    Intrigue is around 7.6-7.8 secs.
    What kind of speakers did you use to replace the factory speakers?
    (other than sub)
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Is your changer mounted in the trunk?
  • it is comforting to find a service manager with some real perspective on theirs and even others customers.

The problem with 2001 is very common as it was why my dealer finally replaced mine. First they tried to tell me that they fixed the problem in 2000 and the 2001's didn't have the problem (mine also from day 1).

When he contacted gm they informed him that 2001's did have the problem and replaced the altenator. Worked for a week and then started up again, but to a lesser extent.

When I went it for the 3rd one he said some 2002 still are problematic. I suspect that they all do it, But most do not drive at night or just think like I did at first and thought I was just blinking, reflections on the road or going over bumps.

Buddy's story about the air injection pump is hooey and a diversion tactic from gm because they do not have a clue why or do not want to put up the investment to fix the problem. Need a few dead bodies where they can not blame it on driver error. ( firestone/ ford).

My lights flickered off and on several times, 4 to 5 , sometimes the whole car twitched or hesitated, like the tranny just slipped.

Watts or power is voltage times current, P=V*I. If the pump draws 65 watts then the current is a little more than 5 amps. If a car cannot supply 5 amps on demand then we are in real big trouble. The blower motor on high will pull close to 15 amps, headlights 10 amps, power windows on start about 4 to 5 amps. My problem happened all the time: summer, winter ,day, night , dry, wet , foggy ,damp, full moon etc. In the day your blower motor will slow down for an instant.

I've had people flashing their lights at me coming toward me but your experience of the guy in front getting ticked because he thinks your jerking him around. Potential for road rage. My concern was also road safety

Good luck. I have attached a scope inside the vehicle and watched the battery voltage. A normal running regulation is around 13.5 to 14 volts. As your driving or sitting still this will fluctuate, always down, as far as 11.9 to 12 volts. No wonder the injection pump of 5 amps is jerking it around. I will wager that the air pump is a victim and not the cause. The altenator. should be at least 75 amps and should handle 5 for a joke. Can you imagine if all car lights flickered every time your delayed wipers activated(3 to 6 amps), you adjusted your power seat(4 amps), turned your blower up a notch(3amps), turned on your rear defroster(10 amps), signal light (4 amps). Any way I'm sure you get the point. Do not settle for that cop out. Different new alternators work differently, Last time gm made them do a load test and authorized a new new replacement based on that result. I have been driving and working on cars for 25 years and have not had flickering problems like this unless the regulator is shot.
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 311
    Thanks RJS200240 for the detailed history/overview about our 3.5 V-6. What a sweet engine. Who knew that Olds was up to something great only to have Cadillac steal if from them (Northstar V-8)!! If GM had let Olds show their creative side without interference, well Olds might still be a viable brand. Water under the bridge... I do find it interesting that the cartridge type oil filter appears to be unique to the 3.5. I think its a good design, but with relatively few 3.5s produced, there won't be much of an aftermarket in filters. As such, we are blessed with limited availability at parts stores and higher replacement cost.

2010 Pilot EXL-RES, 2013 Accord EX

• white6white6 Posts: 588
    I understand what you are saying. I recently added an electric fan to my 97 Dakota (ditched the ancient, noisy, and inefficient engine driven fan) which pulls about 25 amps. I notice when it kicks on at night the lights will briefly dim. Very similar to the Intrigue. I even upgraded to a 136-amp alternator in the truck (inevitable, since it only had a wimpy 90-amp unit; not sufficient for trailering, etc.) but the headlights still flicker slightly. Of course, this is a 25 amp load, and probably closer to 40-amps start-up load, and it is still not as bad as our Intrigue was prior to having the alternator replaced. Our 99 GL 3.5 has been working fine since it was replaced in Feb. of 2001 (knock on wood). It got so bad, my wife was scared to drive it at night. One other tip that is isn't just the pump... it works fine for a while, then starts flickering. Ask them if the pump doesn't work for the first 5,000 miles of a car's life (?) If so, then it's an acceptable excuse. I think it's a break-down of something in the voltage regulator circuit.
    I replaced mime with a set call "Eton", made in germany with a custom crossover, lucky for me, it fits perfectly. my sony es changer is mounted in the trunk, digital out to the processor.
  • Focus,

I've had trouble with the rear window fogging a lot. The front is no worse than any other car I've had. Assuming you don't smoke in the car, the biggest cause of fogging is actually the dashboard material. Plasticizers and other materials are released and coat the inside of the glass. Parking in the sun obviously makes it worse. I guess in my car the carpet on the back deck is the problem. There isn't much you can do, other than maybe use a sun shade and clean your windows often. Does anybody know of a good anti-fogging window cleaner?
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    It's very easy to install a new head unit. Hopefully my experience will help you to avoid the same hang-up I did when I removed it from the first Intrigue.

Step 1: Lift the plastic up from around the shifter. Don't remove it completely; just enough so that you can move it out of the way for step 2.

Step 2: Insert a flathead screwdriver at the top middle of the plastic housing the radio/climate control. Slowly separate the housing. Once the clips on either side are exposed (they hold the plastic in place) carefully pull plastic away from the radio.

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE HEATED SEATS!!!!
    You can easily accidently poke the heated seat buttons out of their place.

Step 3: Unscrew the radio from the brackets, pull existing wiring harness out, put the new radio in (assuming you already connected the wireharness to the new radio), screw the brackets back in place, then put plastic back on.

Summary: Remove the plastic around the shifter, remove the plastic around the radio, unscrew the brackets holding the radio and pull the wiring harness off. Attach wiring harness of new radio to car, tighten brackets, put plastic back around radio, put plastic back around shifter.

It's actually a lot easier to do than to type this.
    Yes in the trunk. It is a sony 757mx and it is hooked to a Sony ES head unit.. They do make an RF version, CDX-565MXRF. I bought mine from etronics.com .

I replaced my front speakers with Polk Audio's, rears with Kenwoods. Front made a big difference, rears I didn't care so much about (who listens to their home stereo facing away from it?)so I went a bit cheaper and keep it faded 80% to the front.

One thing I find about aftermarket car stereos these days is they are getting a bit gimmicky looking. They remind me of 80's ghetto blasters with all the colours. Hard to find a restrained looking one. Nakamichi and Eclipse are pretty low profile.
    Remember to unscrew the two little finishing bolts underneath the armrest door before that?
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    That's strange. I didn't have any finishing bolts under the armrest. I just pryed the plastic around the shifter (specifically closest to the radio). It could be because I didn't move all the plastic around the shifter. Once I was done, I just popped it back into place. No rattles or anything.

Imacmil::: If vcjumper removed 2 finishing bolts, I'd look for them as you perform Step 1. If you don't see them, I wouldn't worry about it. I've done it on two cars already (1998 & 2001) and didn't have any problems.
    If I ever upgrade my head unit it will have an actual volume control knob. No pushbutton volume knobs for me.
    I removed the console part around the shifter before the piece around the hvac and radio so that explains it. Makes it easy to pull off the other piece.
    I have a knob but it has detents. Does allow quick volume changes which is nice.
    Buzzard4,

i purchased a chalk like thing few years ago at a car show, it worked fine, however, i don't know where to go to purchase them now.
    Just hate seeing things through a layer of haze.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    All Chev dealers in Canada are Olds dealer also so service is not a problem up here. I know that's not the case in the US so depending on the area.. it could be an issue.
    I still don't understand why they would care about the GM Card earnings. It doesn't reduce their profit one penny! Has nothing to do with the dealer; only GM pays. Weird! BTW, I have cashed in almost $5,000 in GM Card earnings on five different vehicles over a seven year period. Great program (for me anyway) and the dealers never batted an eye. In fact, I never even brought up the GM Card earnings until after the deal was signed and I was in with the F&I guy. Also, I noticed in the local paper (Daily Oklahoman) 02 Intrigues advertised by the only Olds dealer left in OKC for $12,995. One-year-old used GX's, no doubt, but still a pretty good deal!
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    I have an '02 which means I have the "new style" unit with RDS, etc.. I do like it quite a bit, but wouldn't mind one that can play MP3 CDs.

My question is this: is there anything that you're aware of that will allow you to retain the steering wheel volume/tuning controls on a new head unit? If that's not possible, has anyone installed a trunk-mounted changer in their Intrigue? If so, can the stock head unit control it, or am I screwed into using a "velcro'ed on" control panel?

I'm not wild about using an RF changer, but if it's my last resort, so be it. I plan to have this car for at least 5 years, and I'm not acrobatic enough to manually change CDs in traffic (and would like MP3 capability as well). Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    I went to the auto show at the Texas fair a few days ago. It was kind of sad not seeing the Intrigue in the Oldsmobile section. They had the Final 500 Aurora there too, on a pedestal of course. I really liked the 17" wheels they put on it. Of course it had all of the final 500 badging too. I guess the Aurora is going away soon, not sure when. It's too bad we need a SUV or pickup, otherwise we might get one.

The G35 coupe was also there, and we got to sit in it. What a cool car! I think the specs said 280 hp and 290 ft. lbs torque. Sure would be fun to drive.
    g35 coupe is quite a looker, I prefer it to the 350z.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    My flicker is very similar to the one Moonshadow described and I get the "daytime flicker" known as the A/C blower motor slowing momentarily. The reason I don't buy the AIR pump theory as I have tested mine at full load(heater fan on high, seat heaters on, headlights on, rear defogger on, and stereo blasting) and no flicker while at times when there has been light load, it flickers like crazy. When I was out of town for a week and the car was parked at the airport, the night I drove it home was probably the worst so sitting parked for a week seemed to have something to do with the problem. I plan to take it back in soon to have the noises I'm hearing in the front end checked and I will certainly mention the flicker and the TSB relating to it.
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    Tuesday saw the death of my beloved Intrigue. A bad accident will most likely end in her being declared a total loss. They always say you're lucky if you're not seriously hurt. Sigh. I hope none of you ever have to see that day with your Intrigue. It's truly heartbreaking.
    Thats no way for a car to go but glad you are ok, you'll find a new car and start another "relationship" soon.
    sad news indeed.
    Still got the Formula. It will take a while to find THE buyer as it's a rare bird... hardtop with auto trans. Most kids want a TA with 6-speed and t-tops. The Aquatread III's are wearing great so far. Almost 30,000 on them at this point. Rotated them a couple of weeks ago and they really show no appreciable wear. Wife still proclaims her appeciation, especially in the rain. My mind rests a tiny bit easier knowing I have done my best to provide a safe car for her 25-mile daily commute among the cell-talking morons in their 3-ton SUVs.