Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    You wouldn't believe my shock too, when only in August, it still had the original GY Eagle blackwalls and I drove it non-stop for two weeks. It still had a very sporty look then. However, I couldn't wait till morning, and when we got there late at night, I went out to the garage, flicked on the light, and there sat a snow and salt splattered silver Intrigue, with whitewalls. It took a day to get used to it, and actually looked better after I washed the car, but still not as good as it would have looked without them.

I have to admit though, after a few days, it kind of grew on me, and was a little cool that it stuck out from all the other Intrigue's in town. Even though they're whitewalls, at least it has a new set of Michelins and the Crapyears are in the trash!
  • Funny story...nowadays it seems like every Intrigue stands out cause they aren't any others in town!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Intrigues are very common around west Toronto. They sold well around here. Must be a lot of smart people in the area.

;-)
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    What do you recommend to keep the leather clean and like new?

TIA
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Which model years was it offered in?

TIA
  • I understand that GM will not continue making the 3.5L DOHC V-6 engine that I have in my Intrigue - presumably they could be putting it in other GM cars. Is there any inherent problem with this engine or anything in particular I should be on the lookout for??
  • akitadogakitadog Posts: 117
    Unfortunately, GM won't be transferring the engine to any other vehicles. It's the death of the "Shortstar". The most touted reasons I've heard is that there were production problems, the engine would not be able to meet upcoming emissions standards, and the engine is a little too expensive to build.

However, I think that GM really wants to concentrate on its series of 60 degree V-6 engines. They use less space than the much wider 90 deg. 3.5L, and due to their continuously variable valve-timing, have more and broader power and torque. Also, the engines, coming in different displacements, share a few parts. This cuts down on costs. The Shortstar shared few, if any, with other engines.

These engines are some of the finest I've experienced. I mean, who else can pump out that kind of power (215hp, 230 lb/ft) on regular unleaded? Only the 01-02 Aurora 4.0 outperforms it in this way.
  • tandertander Posts: 21
    Ive heard the 3.5 was discontinued because it tends to leak oil. Anyone having this problem (yet)?
  • 5/60k warranty was offered on all Oldsmobiles started in the 2001 model year.

3.5L V6 does not have any inherent problems--it has performed flawlessly in the Intrigues and Aurora's it is installed in. It was not cancelled because it leaks oil (at worst it tends to burn a little more than some others). Its just simple economics that dicated it be cancelled.

So what's up with the new look of the message board? Seems to take longer to load on my computer.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I have noticed that too. Also some of the fonts are smaller.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Of all the Intrigue problems I have heard, the engine is not one of them. It's a very good motor and it's a shame GM could not continue with it. I feel lucky to have one and enjoy it every time I drive.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    I use Lexol for leather. They make a cleaner and a conditioner. It's a great combination. I use the cleaner about twice a year, and anytime something may have dirtied the leather. I use the conditioner right after the cleaner, and probably about twice a year by itself (so about 4 times a year). It really makes the leather feel good. I've found they work better than the cleaner/conditioner in one products. They don't tend to clean very well. The Lexol combo has really fixed up some dirty, neglected leather in some other cars too (although once the leather cracks, nothing will fix that). Plus, you can find it at local stores.
  • I've got almost 50K miles on my 3.5L, no problems yet. Oil consumption is minimal.
  • It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I thought $.02 worth of comment would give this group its money's worth.

I traded in my '98 Intrigue for my '02 just because of the 3.5 engine. After 2 years and 74,000 miles I can say that this is a VERY strong motor and that it runs like a jewel. Mileage averages between 27-29 on the highway and I saw 31 mpg on the way back from Lake Tahoe this year.

Speeds average between 70-85 and I like the fact that this thing takes 6 quarts of oil. A deep sump with a DOHC engine should let me see 200K before I think about another car. It is too bad that the General wants to kill this engine. I saw in article in the LA Times last week that said GM plans to go OHV in their engines now. Too bad because the 3.5 could have been built into a real 'go fast' engine. Ah, well...things that could have been.
  • I took my vehicle to be serviced for a passenger side water leak that occurs on rainy days.
    The problem was the heater housing needed to be resealed. They conducted a water test and after the test the carpet was damp. However, the technician at the dealer had the car running for 3 hours to dry up the carpet according to the service invoice. I just can't believe they would do such a thing. Won't this damage the engine? They could have used a hair dryer.
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    I put a K&N filter in my Maxima recently and it has changed the sound of the engine to a more throaty growl that really reminds me of the Intrigue. They're both 3.5 but the Max hasn't ever really sounded like the Intrigue until I put that in. By the way, I still have the model of the Intrigue that I keep on my desk. I dunno though. I should probably put it away cause it always makes me sentimental for my Intrigue. Tires are going to be outrageously expensive for these 17 inch frames.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    The engine is probably the best thing about the Intrigue. I have no complaints with it at all. I just wish Olds would have at least given one the option to get it mated to a stick. As many here can attest, it makes a wonderful sound while revved up. I also love the deep, almost V8-like rumble the exhaust makes while it's idling.
    Well, last night the "flicker" returned. It was not as bad as it had been before the new alternator was installed, but it flickered several times. Temperature was about 40 dgrees, headlights on, heater fan was running faily high, and the driver side seat heater was on. Same deal, crusing speed with engine at about 2000 rpm. I'm afraid this is something which will be with the car until the day it dies. Also, last week when I had it in AGAIN for the tranmission not shifting right, I got the "could not duplicate" as they said they drove it twice with all their computers hooked up to it and found no codes and it shifted fine. The service advisor even wanted me to drive the car with him and sure enough, it shifted perfectly. So what I'm going to have to do is leave them the car overnight and let it sit parked out in the cold and then have then drive it first thing in the morning as this is when the tranmission acts up.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    I just feel so bad for you....we went through the same crap for many months with our 300M, and finally got rid of the piece of crap this past March, about 1.5 years after purchase. I must say, of all the cars we've owned, it's the first that we've not only forgotten, but do not miss at all. Our Avalanche has been flawless and is amazing on the road, after nearly 13,000 miles.

I really think it's time to just take your losses, and get rid of it as soon as you can. I now you like the new 9-3's and the CTS, but are waiting for the updated 2004 model. In the meantime though, the Olds is only losing more and more of what little value it has, and giving you much aggravation. I've seen some great deals on both leasing and purchase of CTS's lately, and I'd probably pop for a lease on one myself if in the market right now, as the current 2003 model is pretty terrific in and of itself. But, the decision is still yours....unless that transmission has something to say about it!
    I'm not quite ready to call the car a "piece of crap" as it drives wonderfully when the tranmission works fine(95% of the time) and looks so good when clean. It just bugs me that service departments can't seem(or won't) find the problems and correct them once and for all. I am seriously leaning towad the Saab 9-3, but want to wait until spring when the 210 hp(w 6 speed manual) Arc model comes out. The lease deals on the Saab seem better then the recent CTS deals. I figure I'd do a 3 year lease on a 9-3 then move up to a CTS. Who knows, maybe even a CTS-V by then:) Trouble right now is that I'm afraid I won't even get payoff on my car as a trade, at least going by Edmund's and KBB projected numbers. If the car was out of warranty and cut my losses and trade, but at least right now whatever problems it has are not at my expense. Other than tires which it is going to need soon. As for the transmission in the Olds, except for it leaving me stranded on the roadside, I almost wish it would self destruct completely then maybe they will figure out "this car needs a new transmission."
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Why don't you pursue the lemon law option.

I would think a malfunctioning transmission would qualify.

You might be past the alloted time for lemon law but maybe you get get Olds or your dealer to work somethin out. Maybe get you an '02.
  • Jg...I didn't know there were model Intrigues out there, I've been looking. Where did you get yours, who makes it, and how can I get one? Thanks!
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    I got mine from a connection to a site I found (I believe) at saveoldsmobile.org The main oldsmobile website says models are coming soon in their oldsmobile heritage web shopping but it's been that way for several months. I'm doubting they'll ever have em. A guy used to sell em on eBay a lot too but haven't seen them there for a long time.
  • I was checking things over under the hood of my wife's car and I was surprised to find where they hid the power steering reservoir. It is hidden completely out of view behind the engine on the passenger side. Fortunately, after 59,000 miles it was still full. I am very glad about that because filling it would be a real pain in the *x!#&. The under-hood layout with the 3.5 is infinitely more user-friendly (for this reservoir, anyway).
  • I was happily motoring along in traffic just above idle this past Thursday in my PCS-equipped 2002 when all of a sudden I felt a very slight sensation in the drivetrain, and at the exact same instant 3 dash lights came on. They were the service vehicle soon, traction off and PCS lights, and they all stayed on for another 5 minutes until I reached my destination and turned the car off. 10 minutes later I started it back up and no hint of a problem. Now, 2 days later, still no more hint of a problem - no lights have reappeared. Anyone else ever run into this? My best guess is that this was a PCS-related glitch. I believe what happened is something caused the PCS to activate (when there was no legitimate reason for it) and that tripped the errors. I'm guessing that what I felt in the drivetrain was the PSC kicking in.
  • ketchketch Posts: 217
    Gotta agree, and this is one of the major reasons I chose this car, the motor.

As it says in small type with a small caddy logo, in my rear door glass:
    "Cadillac Northstar Powered"

...leaving from Chicago for our new Home in Vegas
    Monday, Intrigue gets shipped. If anyone is ever out there, we should hook up, Merry Christmas all, may your New Year be filled with high revs and switchback roads!- ketch
  • TSchrammTSchramm Posts: 106
    The problem with KBB and Edmund's regarding the Intrigue is that the pricing they reflect are merely guidelines, and don't really reflect what Oldsmobiles are going for in the market. Some say, like a house, a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

When talking with a salesguy at a dealer regarding a used Intrigue a few weeks ago, I inquired why their asking price was a couple grand below KBB. He answered that they have problems with used Oldsmobiles and Plymouths - noone wants to buy a discontinued brand- unless they can pratically steal it. That's why the plethora of used Intrigues at $10,999 or less. Said KBB is meaningless. Even the banks use it less and less on certain models.

Rational or not, 98.5% of the public , who don't understand how good the Intrigue really is, are going to shy away from buying one. The best bet is to advertise privately and hope that some car guy , who understands the Intrigue's value, will bite. Trade in-values through dealers are falling off a cliff as time goes by.
  • I have no idea where certain people get their information that the resale value of the Intrigue is any different than that of any other used American auto. I have regular access to the Mpls. Auto Auction results and I can guarantee you that on average, similarly equipped/mileage Buick LS's and Intrigues are wholesaling for within a $100-200 bucks of each other (and I know the out-the-door was virtually identical because I shopped them both 3 yrs ago when I bought my Intrigue). I might add that the Intrigue is probably the best vehicle I've ever owned....
  • Interesting, if your SVS(service vehicle soon ) lamp came on and stayed on it should of set a code.

Since you have a 2002 have you gone through a winter yet. when the system works or kicks in it lights up the low trac light for a few seconds to let you know your slipslidingaway.

I would definitly take it in tell them your story and have themcheck for codes..

The PCS, Trac Control and ABS all share the same computer( i believe) and it reciecves inputs from the Abs sensors on the wheels . the yaw sensor under the seat or dash, the steering angle sensor from the rack, the speed of the vechicle. and lateral acceration of the car. It then controls required braking of the apprompriate wheel(s). If that is not enough then it will reduce tranny gearing and finally reeduce fuel delivery to try and get you going where you point the wheel

I took mine into an empty parking lot when new and tried to spin her out and was unable to do so.
    I was accerating and jerking the wheel hard and the stupid puppy did its damdest to stay on coarse. The weidest feeling i ever had. Brakes pulsing and thumping , tranny shifing and no matter how hard i floored it while turning hard in the gressy lot the stupid thing just lugged down. This thing was so smart i was waiting for a voice to tell me to "stop it".

That said , its not invinable and is only a aide. It like 4 wheel drive. gives you a false sense of security. just like the trac control, makes you think it aint slippery.

However one day as i came off a off ramp, it kiked in and let me know there was black ice. neat

Any way take her in because you should have it working for the winter and those leaves on the ground in the fall.
  • Interesting, if your SVS(service vehicle soon ) lamp came on and stayed on it should of set a code.

Since you have a 2002 have you gone through a winter yet. when the system works or kicks in it lights up the low trac light for a few seconds to let you know your slipslidingaway.

I would definitely take it in tell them your story and have them check for codes..

The PCS, Trac Control and ABS all share the same computer( I believe) and it recieves inputs from the Abs sensors on the wheels . the yaw sensor under the seat or dash, the steering angle sensor from the rack, the speed of the vehicle. and lateral acceration of the car. It then controls required braking of the appropriate wheel(s). If that is not enough then it will reduce tranny gearing and finally reduce fuel delivery to try and get you going where you point the wheel

I took mine into an empty parking lot when new and tried to spin her out and was unable to do so.
    I was accellerating and jerking the wheel hard and the stupid puppy did its damdest to stay on coarse. The wierdest feeling I ever had. Brakes pulsing and thumping , tranny shifting and no matter how hard I floored it while turning hard in the greasy lot the stupid thing just lugged down. This thing was so smart I was waiting for a voice to tell me to "stop it".

That said , its not invinceable and is only a aide. It like 4 wheel drive. gives you a false sense of security. just like the trac control, makes you think it aint slippery.

However one day as I came off a off ramp, it kicked in and let me know there was black ice. neat

Any way take her in because you should have it working for the winter and those leaves on the ground in the fall.