Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Went to Pep Boys and all they have is the 4157NALL, so I got a set. Are they good enough, or do I need to go to my local GM parts dept and get the real McCoy?

Thanks.

Deke
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    I went to the dealer and they were sylvania lights and didn't fit perfect so go figure! But then again I had to replace the socket too as it was the culprit in burning out 3 DRL's in 2 weeks.
  • I've noticed this before, but just having taken an 8+ hour road trip this past weekend and seeing lots of Intrigues, it is on my mind again. Did they make the DRLs on later models(i.e. 2000s or so) brighter than earlier ones? I saw quite a few Intrigues on the road and on some, the DRLs seem dimmer than others. From what I can tell(I typically look at the wheels and see which style they are), it is earlier models that have the dimmer lights.
  • sdasda Posts: 308
    Sylvania 4157NALL is what I bought to replace my right DRL. On the back of the box, it states it replaces DRLs and is rated at 2X life expectancy. It plugged right in, and looks the same as the original. You can buy a 2 pack for less than $5. It has been several months since the replacement and no problems. So I think you'd be safe with it.
  • Thanks, sda, I bought the NALL's - $10 for a two-pack.

Funny thing though, last night when I got back in the car, the directional flashed like normal UNTIL the headlights came on auto. If I turned them on manually, it flashed OK for a while, then went haywire. This morning, still crazy. Hope to have a few minutes to change them tonight.

Now, just pull up on the white tabs to remove the assembly, right?

Deke
  • Wife saw a story on the news last night about GM and the ISS problem. Story mentioned the Impala, Intrigue, etc and the problem with the steeing shaft....

I can't seem to find anything today on it. Anyone catch this story? GM stepping up to the plate like they were forced to do with the bad steering racks in the early 90s? Sure would like a new ISS......

Deke
    Interesting. Perhaps it wasn't the goodwill of my selling dealership after all when they replaced it out of warranty (36700mi) last week. With as common as a problem this has been, GM needs to take responsibility.
  • reported involved several 96-98 GM models, including the Intrigue. I believe the defect involved a locking up of the steering and was related to the intermediate steering shaft.
  • You got it pontiac. Very slick. On my left side, the lamp assembly will get caught on the plastic bumper. Needs a little wiggle and a light push down on the bumper just in front on the lens. Use the built in handle on the top of the assembly. Be careful when you slide the [non-permissible content removed]. out that it doesn't scratch your bumper.

As for your intermittent, You could possibly have a internally shorting filament or your socket base connection may be oxidized/dirty. Try a cue tip in the wedge socket with some acholol( rubbing ) if you see any dusty like oxidization. Give it a few seconds for the all-cool to evaporate.

FYI. Bulb socket turns ccw 1/8 turn to loosen.

have fun.
  • If it's been in the media lately, there must be some new problem, otherwise they wouldn't care about "old" cars...

I've read where the police package Impalas are having the steering lock up, so maybe GM will step up and make good at their cost. Can only hope...

I know my (late) 98 could use a looking at. Replaced the ISS at something like 5000 miles under warranty, have 32000 on it now.

Deke
  • I finally have seen how bad the flickering can be.
    Up to today I had just had it a couple of times but it was just a slight dim. Today on my way to work the headlight and the dash lights were blinking every 2 second for 2 blocks. I'm going to see if I can get it into the dealer next week.
    You would think they would fix that by 2002.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Here's a link:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0309/23/b02-278926.htm

Problem is NOT the ISS and does not include cars (Impala, Aurora, Bonneville, etc.) which also have the "ISS-needs-lube" issue.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • Has the weather turned cooler in the past day or so? Cooler weather seems to trigger the "flicker". Funny thing, when it got down in the 30s or below, the flicker wasn't that bad.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Have the shop check the battery and cables also.

I'm not sure why the alternators weren't ever fixed on production cars, but my replacement seems ok so obviously they had something that worked.
  • First off, last night the "errant" bulb worked flawlessly... Nevertheless, I replaced BOTH bulbs. Still can't get over how easy it was to remove the headlamp assembly! Last car I needed to change front end bulbs on was my ex-FHP 88 Crown Vic and I needed to disassemble the trim panels, etc and deal with the metal-base bulbs - remember those with the offset "nibs" that only work if lined up correctly?

On the other hand, if you were looking to replace a damaged unit, very easy to swipe one from another Trig on the street....

As for the steering story, the wife caught the item on the news, but she said it definitely mentioned the Intrigue. I thought ALL Intrigues (and other W-bodies) had the ISS problem, and I read here that a few people also had the steering racks replaced before the techs diagnosed the ISS as the problem. Maybe GM will make good? One can only hope....

Deke
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    If the car is under warranty, by all means, take it back. Happened to me on my '98 base (a.k.a GX). They had to replace the fan control. Can't say how much it cost since GM footed the bill.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,773
    ...With my new-to-me '02 Intrigue and all I can say is that I absolutely love it. No issues at all that warrant a trip back to the dealer. The rocking seat I thought I had was just a misadjustment on my part, and the same with the suspected burned-out cruise indicator light (it isn't). There is a very occasional creak from the top of the drivers door/window area when I make a right turn and go over a bump simultaneously, but nothing major and probably not something the dealer could find, much less fix. That's it.

On the plus side, I love the engine and performance, love the handling, love the brakes, love the seats, and love the stereo. My assistant at work drives an Accord, and whenever we go somewhere in my car she always says as she gets in "this is a really NICE car, I really like it!". Awesome car - amazing that GM couldn't sell these.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I let a friend drive my intrigue several years. She also owned a Honda Accord.
    Her first unsolicited comment was, "this car is smooooth."

Accords have a choppy highway ride in case anybody needed that pointed out.
    The Intrigue excels on the highway in more ways that one. I love my long trips in it.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Watched "The brotherhood of Poland, NH" last night and one of the brothers was shown pulling into his driveway in an Intrigue. Wonder how they decide what kind of car a normal person should drive (he plays the mayor of a small town)?
  • dpd2dpd2 Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 GL with 21000 miles. Questions ...
    1. I have not had the ISS problem. Some ticking and clicking occasionally but no clunking. Will GM lube it under warranty without symptoms?
    2. There is a growing gap betwen the dash and the center air vent. I have seen this in alot of intrigues. Is this something that should be repaired under warranty or normal wear and tear?
    3. The fan is noisy when using the heat only. Annoying hum and sounds as if something is stuck in the vent. Anybody experience this?

The only other problem I have had is the high engine temperature in the winter. Dealer replaced thermostat and its been fine.

I would appreciate anyones input. Thank you.
  • 1. ISS. Tell em you want the iss lube before the warranty is up cause you here it clicking and ticking when you turn slowly . You will probably have it clunking eventually.

2. the gap. if they do anything they may replace the dash and then you'll have lots of squeeks. I have recentered mine. You a dull flat something and tuck the vinyl under the vent as you lift and giggle it. Try it and if you still don't like it then mention that as well when you go for the lube.

3. the vent noise. You may have something in there but could be a vent door not closing properly due to a flaky vacuum actuator. I believe there is a TSB about noisy blower motors. Will search later to see if a can find what i'am thinking about. If you remove the under the wiper passenger side cover and pull out the pollen filter you can see the squirell cage attached on the motor. Reach in and turn it to check for debris or noise.

Take it in and mention all your thoughts and see what they will do.
    My 2000 GL suffered the same problem of the dash pulling away from the center vent. My dealer ordered and installed a new dash pad. It even aligns up better than the original. No squeaks, rattles, looks great. After a year the dash was again pulling away from the center vent, but not as severe. However, I was able to pull the center vent out of the dash,(used a dull flat blade top and bottom to release tabs holding vent), and then put two felt pads on the support fingers(inside vent opening on the bottom) to provide a shim upward. Then I carefully pushed the vent back into place. The gap is now gone,and the vent is secure. Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix. Anyhow, I would see if your dealer might replace/adjust for you.
  • My Intrigue had this problem as well. I noticed a slight gap from day one, but it got worse as time went on. I mentioned it one time when I took the car in and they must have forgotten it as I had no explantion either way on it. Truthfully, if that is your only problem then I wouldn't worry about it. Anytime the dash is taken apart(on any car) there is the potential for squeaks and rattles to appear.
  • Well, Friday the anti-lock brake light came on. On Saturday, it didn't come on when I first started the car, but about three miles down the road, , it came on again.

The manual just says, "see dealer". Any speculation on what could be wrong? thanks.
  • I know its seems silly but first check that all brake lights are lit. I believe that abs sense the bulbs are out and set the light. Go figure.

The next culprit would be a wheel sensor connectors or the sensor itself inside the bearing, of coarse. More money and just to make it hard on the backyard guys.

After that wiring, you needs codes maybe.

What year? Does it do a self check/priming the pump after you start to move.
    ABS light is usually a computer glitch or some condensation somewhere it shouldn't be. Has it rained a lot in your neck of the woods?
  • No rain, but my 16yo niece drives the '98 Intrigue, and she "encountered" a guardrail and did about $700 damage to the lower door panels AND scraped the right front wheel. Have not had it fixed yet, but did get the estimate, and the rt front wheel will have to be replaced. Damage appears all cosmetic - steering and braking are still straight and fine.

Putting the pieces together now - the scraping of the rt front wheel could have loosend the ABS sensor? It happened about 2 weeks ago, but the light didnt come on for about 10 days afterward.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Has there been any update on GM issuing a recall regarding the ISS on the Intrigue?

TIA
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    in terms of resale value. Automotive News reports that after three years in the marketplace, the 2001-model Dodge Intrepid and Ford Taurus have residual values of 30 percent, and the Chevrolet Impala is valued at 33 percent of its sticker price.