Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,984
    The town hall forums have been fubar'ed ever since Inside Line was rolled out. You aren't the only one who couldn't access the site - same problems here. This is shaping up to be a case study in how to kill off a popular site, just as GM's handling of Olds is a case study of how to murder a once-popular brand.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    What bothers me, since it was a known problem, is why Edmunds.com didn't put something on the home page alerting people of the problem. It's inexcusable for a major website to keep its visitors in the dark like that. I have started searching for other forums too.

Btw, I plan to sell my Intrigue this spring and get either a G35, TL, or TSX.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Check out the CTS also, it's a sweet ride and not as generic to look at as Acuras.
    I guess your generic is my stylish (at least the TL). I'm not a fan of the CTS look at all and comparably equipped, I think the Acura will be a better deal all around.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Please post your comments in the discussion I linked here: pat, "Oldsmobile Intrigue" #11483, 21 Feb 2005 9:32 pm. That's the way to get them seen by people who can (maybe) make a difference. It is a certainty that they won't be seen here.

Thanks!
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    That's true, the TL has been a bargain even in the previous generation. And the new one is a looker. The only thing I read about it that concerns me is torque steer, something that GM never gets credit for taming, and very well so.
    Acuras looks too much like Hondas which all just blend in IMO. If I'm going to spend that much money on a car, I would like it to stand out a little. That's not to say I would buy a bright yellow or fire engine red Hummer but for me Acura = boring even though they are a good value buy.

If I can pull it off, I'd love a base 3.6L CTS to replace my loved Intrigue some day. I think I will have a hard time parting with the Olds though, I still enjoy driving it as much today as I did 5 years ago when I bought her. When it's clean, I still look at the car in awe.
  • focusfocus Posts: 225
    About to replace my brake pads, should i do a brake flush at the same time? Anyone got this done before?
    If you've never changed the brake fluid, you should. It absorbs water over time which causes corrosion in the brake lines.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Well Ihad my Intrigue inspecte yesterday. I asked the shop to do a test of the charging system since I had the flickering headlights. They performed the test (or at least tried) and could not complete it because the battery needed replacing. I told the service manager that i had it tested at Advance Auto. He stated that the Advance Auto test is with the car off while they test it with a "load" on the system. It is more accurate. It does make sense. So I will replace the battery tomorrow. Hopefully this will solve the headlight problem.

Will keep you up to date.
  • hey guys whats up

well i had an in 98 intrigue sdn at 166,000 miles
    i just got it last december from a car dealer for a good price.for the first week nothing strange about it until it stalls on me.i just had my catalyctic converter change and a tune up.it still stalls from a full stop or even runnin at 70mph.i dont know if its only dirt in the gas tank or something.please help me out.its not the alternator because i have to wait for at least 10-20 minutes then it will start up again.
  • My parents' 1992 Olds 88 has the 3800 V6, similar to the one in your car. They also had a stalling problem similar to yours. The dealer replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the ignition module.
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    Does anyone offer exhaust systems? Seems the sites I go to don't mention the Intrigue 3.8 specifically....Would anything for the Impala/Grand Prix work? Not looking for a true dual exhaust system as I don't want to cut the rear valence for the second tip, but maybe a dual that exits in the stock location?

Also, Baer Brakes makes slotted & cross-drilled OEM-style replacement rotors. They're made out of better grade materials than the factory offerings. Been waiting for a response to my e-mail to them on price and availability....

Deke
  • I have a 2000 GLS with just over 33K miles. I've been using the standard front to rear rotation but have noticed a lot of noise and now vibrations at over 40 mph. I've had the tires rebalanced and checked/rechecked pressure. Running them at 32 psi. I've read about "cupping" problems here and other forums....a couple of questions.
    1. How do I narrow this down to tire cupping? in other words what do I look for?
    2. I've also read I can rotate left to right to correct/mitigate the cupping. My local garage guy says this is bad juju for radials...opinions?
    3. I've also got front rotor grooving pretty bad. Is turning them an option or should I just replace? Pads have over 50% life left.

thanks!
    Red
    Yep, I bought an used Intrigue at 37000mls with OEM tires which were badly cupped. After 25000mls on a set of Yokohama Avid Touring, they're as round as new. Which allows me to say that it's not the suspension set up, but a bad Eagle LS set. It just so happens that the Eagle LS doesn't seem to be a half-decent tire...

Have I told you how silent the Yokohama is after a couple of months riding the Goodyear? ;-)
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,984
    I have to agree. I couldn't stand my Eagle LS tires after about 30K miles and replaced them with a set of Michelins. Huge difference. A lot less road noise, better ride, just a better choice overall. Lose the LS.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

If the Eagles aren't rotated properly and on a timely basis, they wear badly and prematurely. I have had 2 tire dealers tell me the same thing. They aren't bad tires but if not taken care of, they can give you problems. We got 82,000 kms thought the last 20K were noisy.

I got the Goodyear Comfort Treds now, excellent tire and really good in the snow this morning.
  • akitadogakitadog Posts: 117
    I bought a cat-back exhaust system from SLP for my 99 GL w/3.5, though it states it's for the 3.8. It fit like a glove anyway. I don't know whether or not they still sell it, though. It's a 3 inch exhaust that ends with a dual exhaust tip, not true-dual, though. Supposedly good for 10 hp. I lost some low-end torque but my engine revs a lot quicker in the mid to top-range. I don't know how it would affect the pushrod V6.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I installed a new battery this weekend. Advance Auto Titanium. I must say that battery was tough to get out. Once you have the right tools, it will take you about 20-30 minutes to remove and install battery. Some tips that wil lhelp:

1) Take out the two bolts on the "bar" that connects the side quarter panel and the front (right above the headlights). And loosen the single bolt on the quarter panel so the bar cna swing.

2) There is a wedge that holds the battery in place. You'll need an ratchet extension to reach the bolt. You'll have to remove the entire piece not jsut loosen the bolt.

3) This is probably the most important item since it is not the most obvious. Right above the battery is the fuse box. Remove both bolts that hold the fuse box in place. This wil allow you to slide the fuse box up a couple of inches. You'll need those couple of inches to remove the battery.

To remove the battery, you have to swing the bar as far as it will allow. Lift the fuse box up a couple of inches and rotate the battery onto it, the lift it out (Watch your fingers!). Then reverse the process to install the new battery.

I can't tell yet if it has helped the flickering of the headlights but it appears the headlights are brighter. time will tell.
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    Thanks.......I don't think SLP offers anything for the Trig any more - I used to frequent that site checking out different items.

Maybe I'll get a response from Flowmaster on whether their Impala/Grand Prix unit will work on the Olds.

Deke
    "Maybe I'll get a response from Flowmaster on whether their Impala/Grand Prix unit will work on the Olds."

Fitting and working are two different things. As the other poster said, his Catback fit but he lost low end torque which is what you use for 90% of your driving.
  • akitadogakitadog Posts: 117
    "Fitting and working are two different things. As the other poster said, his Catback fit but he lost low end torque which is what you use for 90% of your driving."

Only if 90% of your driving is stoplight to stoplight or stop-and-go, then that may be true. My daily commute is about 70% highway at speeds between 60 and 75 mph. My mid- and top-range passing power is enhanced which is what I need the most. Also, the low-end torque loss is noticeable, but by no means is my car now sluggish off the line. Remember, it's a DOHC engine, so off-the-line isn't great to begin with.
    "Remember, it's a DOHC engine, so off-the-line isn't great to begin with."

Correction: it's DOHC engine without variable valve timing, so off-the-line isn't great to begin with.

You should try the new 3.6 DOHC VVT V6: off-the-line feels like a 3.8 V6 and on the highway, like our 3.5 V6. ;-)
  • i had pepboys do a diagnostic test on the car and it came up with the ignition module and crankshaft position.thanks man.salamat po bossing problemado kasi ako d2 sa kotse.maraming salamat uli
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Glad you got your problem fixed - but please do not use any language but English in our Forums. Thanks!
    Have you tried a 3.6L? I am really wanting to test a Allure CXS or a CTS with the engine to compare with my Intrigue.
    Yes, I have. I drove a La Crosse with the 3.6 and was very impressed with this engine. Cam phasing addresses the most glaring issue with multi-valve engines: lack of low-end torque. The 3.6 has really got the best of both worlds. IMO, a worthy successor to both the 3.5 and the 3.8. Let's just hope that it's as reliable as them and consumes as little oil as the 3.8, an industry benchmark.
    I have a feeling my next car will be a 3.6L powered car. It sounds like a great engine and I really love my 3.5L so I would want something similar.

The Saturn Aura will have the engine and the LaCrosse/Allure and CTS are other choices.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    One of our former members also pu the SLP cat back system on and he felt like he picked up a little upper end power.
    He liked it very much if I remember correctly.

I have the 3.6L in my SRX and it has a lot more low and midrange power than the 3.5L
    My 4200lb SRX is faster than my 3400lb Intrigue was.
    But it does have more gearing and a 5 speed auto.
    The '04 3.6L is a little nosiy, but the '05s are quieter.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    in a six-banger cammer. I noticed that the new Buick has the 3.6, but still saddled with the old four-speed auto. Motor Trend says 8 second 0-60. The CTS, on the other hand, has a five-speed auto and 3.6 and does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. Both cars weigh about the same, but the Caddy 3.6 is rated a little higher in hp (for some reason). Still, most of the extra performance is due to the better tranny. Looking forward to the new 6-speed auto that GM will start installing this fall (Corvette/XLR) and will work their way down through to other, less obvious but more needy models.