Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Hello all...

I have been looking at pictures of the '04 Pontiac Grand Prix (presumably the Intrigue would have been somewhat similar) and I have to say I'm not impressed. Even though some of the moldings are gone, to me it still looks awkard and "fake." The problem I have with the current generation GP is that it is too long to have such fake 'sporty' attributes, the same things look better on the Grand Am. The '04 doesn't seem to solve this much, and it also doesn't seem to have too many mechanical changes either. I wonder what they will do with the Regal.

I know its been said many times, but count me as one of those who thinks that the Oldsmobiles look MUCH better than Pontiacs--more natural, smoother, more sophisticated. There is a certain 'stealth' aspect to the Intrigues styling. Everyone who sees it knows its fast but it doesn't need to shout it from the rooftops to get your attention. Oh well...preaching to the choir i guess!
  • TSchrammTSchramm Posts: 106
    My wife nicked the side of another car we had with the black rub strip on her bumber. Two application of regular car wax - Turtle Wax, I beleive, was all it took to get out. I'd try that route before using anything potentially more abbrassive.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Posts: 106
    I continue to be amazed at what a good deal a used Intrigue can be.

In today's local Dallas paper , there are 5 2000's between $7-10K, 3 '01's from 8,995 to 12,995 (GL and GLX), a '98 w/65K for 6500, 2 low-mile '02's for 13,995 and 15,595 respectively.

While Oldsmobile's poor fortunes have made it one of the fastest depreciating line of cars around, anyone looking for a great value on a used car should definitly be considering the Intrigue. I still consider mine a steal.
  • Thanks all for the advice. Will start with the wax, then move on to the compounds if unsuccessful.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    Hee hee... whitewalls... ;)

The car looks great!
  • Just got back to the internut as my unit died.

Read your recent post and must confess that I misunderstood your first. When you said both lights died, I was thinking one on each side.

However your first post clearly states on the left so I apologize for the posible goose chase I may have sent you on.

If one side worked then the brake light switch probably is not your problem. I am thinking now that you have a bad resistance in a plug or a cut, pinch or wear somewhere in the brake wiring., and it seems to be getting worse.

One might rule out the front of the car as some of your braking lights work, however, today cars "may" send a wire back for each of the three brake lights. You can see this if you remove the liner at the back to expose the plugs of the lamps.

Try following the wiring in the trunk back from the lights to the high mount stop light looking for plugs and or chafing. Unfortunately , mine is in the stupid wing and therefore the wiring would be different.

I would think GM uses the same wiring harness and then probably connects were your window light plugs in and then slides along the trunk lid into the wing.

Remember also that the car has battery rundown protection if your lights were left on or perhaps brake light stick then power is cut to a variety of circuits after 20 minutes or so. Just in case your chasing voltage with a meter with the trunk open and trunk light jerks you around. Hopefully, these lights are not going through some stupid module???

Sorry if I misled you and good luck.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    They still make whitewalls?
  • No offense or anything, but OUCH that thing looks awful! Whitewalls?????

LOL...well, to each one's own I guess...the rest of the car looks good!
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    You wouldn't believe my shock too, when only in August, it still had the original GY Eagle blackwalls and I drove it non-stop for two weeks. It still had a very sporty look then. However, I couldn't wait till morning, and when we got there late at night, I went out to the garage, flicked on the light, and there sat a snow and salt splattered silver Intrigue, with whitewalls. It took a day to get used to it, and actually looked better after I washed the car, but still not as good as it would have looked without them.

I have to admit though, after a few days, it kind of grew on me, and was a little cool that it stuck out from all the other Intrigue's in town. Even though they're whitewalls, at least it has a new set of Michelins and the Crapyears are in the trash!
  • Funny story...nowadays it seems like every Intrigue stands out cause they aren't any others in town!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Intrigues are very common around west Toronto. They sold well around here. Must be a lot of smart people in the area.

;-)
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    What do you recommend to keep the leather clean and like new?

TIA
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Which model years was it offered in?

TIA
  • I understand that GM will not continue making the 3.5L DOHC V-6 engine that I have in my Intrigue - presumably they could be putting it in other GM cars. Is there any inherent problem with this engine or anything in particular I should be on the lookout for??
  • akitadogakitadog Posts: 117
    Unfortunately, GM won't be transferring the engine to any other vehicles. It's the death of the "Shortstar". The most touted reasons I've heard is that there were production problems, the engine would not be able to meet upcoming emissions standards, and the engine is a little too expensive to build.

However, I think that GM really wants to concentrate on its series of 60 degree V-6 engines. They use less space than the much wider 90 deg. 3.5L, and due to their continuously variable valve-timing, have more and broader power and torque. Also, the engines, coming in different displacements, share a few parts. This cuts down on costs. The Shortstar shared few, if any, with other engines.

These engines are some of the finest I've experienced. I mean, who else can pump out that kind of power (215hp, 230 lb/ft) on regular unleaded? Only the 01-02 Aurora 4.0 outperforms it in this way.
  • tandertander Posts: 21
    Ive heard the 3.5 was discontinued because it tends to leak oil. Anyone having this problem (yet)?
  • 5/60k warranty was offered on all Oldsmobiles started in the 2001 model year.

3.5L V6 does not have any inherent problems--it has performed flawlessly in the Intrigues and Aurora's it is installed in. It was not cancelled because it leaks oil (at worst it tends to burn a little more than some others). Its just simple economics that dicated it be cancelled.

So what's up with the new look of the message board? Seems to take longer to load on my computer.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I have noticed that too. Also some of the fonts are smaller.