Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• ozznetozznet Posts: 81
    Has anyone ever used one of those car dusters?
    I would love to get one but I don't want to chance scratching my car.
  • limadeltalimadelta Posts: 49
    I had the Dunlop SP A2's and have replaced them with the above named tire. 84,000 on my '00 GLS and these Pirelli's will hopefully last longer than the Dunlops did.

I think I only got about 30,000 miles on the A2's

BTW, I still like the Intrigue and look forward to long trips in it. The 3.5 is THE motor that the General should have kept for the other divisions. Beancounters, bah!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Still no nice rev happy OHC motor available in their mainstream midsize sedan offerings (18-25K) lineup? Might be a few years atleast before one shows up?
    The 3.6L thus far is only slated to be in the CTS as far as sedans go. Even the Camry will have 225 hp or so and 240lb/ft for 2004. Will a smaller version of the 3.6L engine be powerful enough?
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I read somewhere that 3.6L derivatives will follow a year later. Hopefully we will see something next year. The 3.6L will also be an option on the Buick Rendezvous this fall.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I've read that Buick and Cadillac will have exclusivity over it for 3 years. So I guess that it'll be seen in other brands only in 2006 MY or so.

However, the family will grow, and maybe derivatives make to a broader availability.

The remarkable 3.8 is also poised to be improved and enlarged to 3.9.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    That 3.9 is actually a version of the 3.1/3.4L 60 degree V6, which will be the "high-value" V6. The 3800 doesn't seem to have a future at GM.
    The 3.8L in the new 04 GP is suppose to have been newly revised and improved. I sat in one yesterday and I think it's growing on me. It's not perfect, but the seats are incredible comfortable (vs the Intrigue or most any other sedan) and the dash is very nice. Still have to test one some day when I have time.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    I stopped by the Pontiac dealer about a week ago one evening to "window shop" the new GP and low and behold, one had been left unlocked. It was the GT model, but it had the leather seat package. The seats were very comfy, more so than the Intrigue's with one minor quirk. The headrests were too far back and they are not articulating headrests. Also, while they fit me well, I can see how the bolstering of the seats might feel confining to someone who is rather obese. Of coarse, BMW never gets any criticism for this as their seats are the same way. All in all I liked the car and the interior was about 2 steps ahead of the previous model. I still think that high end GPs should have automatic climate control.
    All this talk about the new GP had me thinking, imagine an Intrigue with the TAP shift feature. As much as I like the new GP, I can only imagine what the next generation Intrigue would have been like.
    Well, in the midst of considering new cars a Jeep Grand Cherokee crossed my radar screen. I'm not a big SUV guy, but the GCs are pretty good looking and it would definitely be something different for me. It also helps that just as we can get GM vehciles at GMS pricing through my company, we can get Chrysler vehicles through their equivilant program. Anyway, I thought I'd check out the JGC forum here in Edmunds. All I can say is as much as I like them, I don't think I'll be going that route. While we Intrigue owners have had some problems, at least we didn't have to start a separate thread just for problems as the JGC owners did. Even worse, the dealer stories of problems not being resolved and the ever so popular "unable to duplicate" sounded an awful lot like my experience with Olds service. So at this point the Jeep is pretty much off the list. Oh well, I don't really need an SUV anyway. Just thought that was interesting as I know some people who have Grand Cherokees and they love them.

Heard back from Oldsmobile customer assistance on Friday. They got my letter and called me to discuss my concerns. When I advised them I would really appreciate some compensation for the extended(45+ days) time I have been without a car the lady said she would have to escalate the issue to a district manager as they typically do not offer any type of monetary compensation when rentals or loaners were given. She was friendly and seemed to be on the ball, but I'm still skeptical if anything will be done. She did begin to offer an extended warranty at first then must have realized my car already had one. I'm not asking for the world, just something which is fair due to the number of problems I have had with this car and the inability for them to be corrected in a timely manner. If GM would give me a voucher for say $1500 or so similar to what Olds owners were given when the phase out was announced, I would have much greater confidence in them and be much more likely to buy another new GM vehicle. To me, this would not only compensate me for the time I've been without car but also make up for the fact that I could not sell this car at top value due to all these problems should a potential customer ask to see the service records.
    Ya, heavy people may have a problem with the GP, I'm not sure. I wish I had seats like that in the Intrigue though, and I always thought they were good.

Like you say, the next Intrigue would have been a sweet ride. I will test a GP soon as I want to feel what could have been.
  • dekesterdekester Posts: 322
    I have been using the dusters since I got my Intrigue (Jan 99). You don't put any pressure when using - no rubbing or scrubbing - it just lifts the durt/dust. If the car needs to be washed, however, it will not remove any "ground-in" dirt, only the surface dirt/dust. The duster does NOT scratch the finish.

IIRC, California Car Cover Co offers a two-fer set - large for the outside and a smaller one for the interior.

Can beat 'em for keeping your car looking good between washes.

Deke
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Just a follow up on the urban traffic mileage: 22MPG. Thus, in line with what others get.

22/32MPG is not bad at all.

For the record, I get 24/29MPG on my Bonneville with the same transmission and axle ratio, but with the 3.8 OHV. Around town is where the Buick V6 shows off its practically flat torque curve.
  • ni7irsni7irs Posts: 4
    Does anyone havea problem with the brakes dragging. It seems to happen once the car warms up and the brakes have been applied a couple of times. Any ideas?
  • sdasda Posts: 308
    The Yokohama Avid Touring tires are decent for the price. I paid about $75/tire installed. They seem to be quiet but handling is not their strong point. You get what you pay for.
  • one2oneone2one Posts: 626
    Hey, folks. Haven't been around for a while but have caught up on missed posts.

This was so impressive, I had to tell you guys. My TornadoAir unit ( www.tornadoair.com ) just arrived today. Supposedly, fuel economy is improved as well as throttle response. I just put it in and took it for a spin. I'm on 1/4 tank so fuel economy improvement has yet to be seen. As far as throttle response goes all I can say is:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I know some of you might think this is mechanical snake oil (as some feel about the K&N) but this is the real deal. There is NOTICEABLE difference. I have the 3.05 axle. We all know that the 3.29 axle (if you have PCS, you've got the 3.29) is noticably quicker off the line. Well, the 3.05 feels like that now, if not better. That inital lag off the line? Gone. And as the tach rises, the fun factor increases exponentially. It idles even quieter and smoother than before, which says a lot considering how smooth and queit it was without it.

Installation is super easy. Simply install it in the hose behind the Mass Air Sensor (the Mass Air Sensor is that metal piece with the wires attaching and the black box attached on the right side), reattach the hose back to the mass air sensor, unplug the positive and negative terminal battery cables (to reset the computer) and drop the hood. The dyno test (on the box & website) showed from 10hp to 20hp increases. Even at the low end, that would give the Intrigue 225hp at the wheels.

I don't know how much the K&N helps but the TornadoAir does wonders for performance. I like it so much, I've ordered one for the wife's car.
    Let me know how it goes on the fuel. If it saves fuel also, it will indeed pay for itself so I can justify it a little more. Sounds good from what you say though!
  • ozznetozznet Posts: 81
    I've seen it on TV a bunch of times and I've always wondered if it worked. It's nice to hear that it does. Maybe I will think about getting one.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Um, no. Intrigue is rated 215 hp at the flywheel. Probably around 185-190 hp at the wheels. You can usually figure on about 10 to 20 percent driveline loss, depending on whether it is a manual or automatic trans. Chrysler auto trannys are notorious for high driveline loss, usually around 20-25 percent. GM's are pretty good, though. If you gained 10 hp with the "Tornado" then that would translate to about 8 or 9 hp at the wheels. So you might be close to 200 at the wheels. Only way to know, of course, is to dyno it. Seems to me the main thing I have heard about the "Tornado" is that it increases turbulance and low-rpm intake air velocity. This would give you better cylinder filling (kind of a minor supercharging effect). I would bet that you would see a decrease in hp above 3500 rpm or so, due to the restriction to airflow created by the device. Might be a good way to move your power curve downward (we all know the shortstar is a little light on low-end torque), so the overall effect might be positive. Depends on how much you run 'er up over 4,000 rpm in your daily routine.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I am still not sold on those things.

The improved throttle response that tone2one is feeling may be an increase in low end torque from having a smaller intake opening, since the tornado does tend to choke down the inlet pipe diameter. Having a smaller inlet area will increase the speed of the air within the pipe.

This choked down air intake pipe idea is the same as putting a set of 1.5" diameter headers on a car thentesting it on the dyno or the street. Take those headers and put some 2" diameter ones on and that car will be a dog off the line. But make big power at 6-7000 rpms.
    Provided of course it has suitable heads, cam, intake to take advantage of high rpm operation.

Remember, you can either have increased velocity or increased flow. Velocity will increase low end torque. Flow(bigger diameter pipe) will increase high end power usually at the expense of low end power.
    I suspect that his intrigue's torque and torque band has been moved down lower to where it is more accessible in stop and go traffic.
    And then when he floors it on the highway it is probably turning 2-2500 rpms. Closer to where the big part of the torque is than before.

Just a theory.