Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "Maybe I'll get a response from Flowmaster on whether their Impala/Grand Prix unit will work on the Olds."

Fitting and working are two different things. As the other poster said, his Catback fit but he lost low end torque which is what you use for 90% of your driving.
  • akitadogakitadog Posts: 117
    "Fitting and working are two different things. As the other poster said, his Catback fit but he lost low end torque which is what you use for 90% of your driving."

Only if 90% of your driving is stoplight to stoplight or stop-and-go, then that may be true. My daily commute is about 70% highway at speeds between 60 and 75 mph. My mid- and top-range passing power is enhanced which is what I need the most. Also, the low-end torque loss is noticeable, but by no means is my car now sluggish off the line. Remember, it's a DOHC engine, so off-the-line isn't great to begin with.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    "Remember, it's a DOHC engine, so off-the-line isn't great to begin with."

Correction: it's DOHC engine without variable valve timing, so off-the-line isn't great to begin with.

You should try the new 3.6 DOHC VVT V6: off-the-line feels like a 3.8 V6 and on the highway, like our 3.5 V6. ;-)
  • i had pepboys do a diagnostic test on the car and it came up with the ignition module and crankshaft position.thanks man.salamat po bossing problemado kasi ako d2 sa kotse.maraming salamat uli
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Glad you got your problem fixed - but please do not use any language but English in our Forums. Thanks!
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Have you tried a 3.6L? I am really wanting to test a Allure CXS or a CTS with the engine to compare with my Intrigue.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Yes, I have. I drove a La Crosse with the 3.6 and was very impressed with this engine. Cam phasing addresses the most glaring issue with multi-valve engines: lack of low-end torque. The 3.6 has really got the best of both worlds. IMO, a worthy successor to both the 3.5 and the 3.8. Let's just hope that it's as reliable as them and consumes as little oil as the 3.8, an industry benchmark.
    I have a feeling my next car will be a 3.6L powered car. It sounds like a great engine and I really love my 3.5L so I would want something similar.

The Saturn Aura will have the engine and the LaCrosse/Allure and CTS are other choices.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    One of our former members also pu the SLP cat back system on and he felt like he picked up a little upper end power.
    He liked it very much if I remember correctly.

I have the 3.6L in my SRX and it has a lot more low and midrange power than the 3.5L
    My 4200lb SRX is faster than my 3400lb Intrigue was.
    But it does have more gearing and a 5 speed auto.
    The '04 3.6L is a little nosiy, but the '05s are quieter.
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    in a six-banger cammer. I noticed that the new Buick has the 3.6, but still saddled with the old four-speed auto. Motor Trend says 8 second 0-60. The CTS, on the other hand, has a five-speed auto and 3.6 and does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. Both cars weigh about the same, but the Caddy 3.6 is rated a little higher in hp (for some reason). Still, most of the extra performance is due to the better tranny. Looking forward to the new 6-speed auto that GM will start installing this fall (Corvette/XLR) and will work their way down through to other, less obvious but more needy models.
    If I can scrape enough to buy a CTS, it will be my next car but with kids, my wife starting a business and a pending larger house I may have to wait for my first Caddy.

In the mean time I still love my Intrigue. The new Goodyear Comfort Treads have really made the car ride much better and the 3.5L is still smooth and silky.

b4z : What year is your SRX?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    '04 SRX.

0-60 is 7.2 secs.
  • millandjmillandj Posts: 6
    So what type of Michelins did you buy? Guess they are working out OK for you? Any ideas on the rotors problems...did you have to replace them too. Thanks so much!
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,541
    Michelin Harmony were what I got. Actually, here in Canada they are called Michelin Destiny, but they are the same tire.

Rotors: I took mine in last summer to the dealer complaining about a brake vibration and they changed the front rotors under warranty so those are fine now.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• millandjmillandj Posts: 6
    Looking at the Goodrich Traction T/A as replacement tires. Scored better than most everything else on Tirerack.com reviews and surveys. Sucks I'm only getting 33K out of the OEM Eagles...I expected way more.

Too bad on my rotors I guess; only 33K but I've had the car over 5 yrs so no warranty for me. Gotta believe they are undersized for teh car though...
    I got 80K kms out of my first OEM set of brakes. Changed all 4 pads late in the fall. I did do a fair amount of highway though, probably a 1/3 of the 80k.

Just changed my OEM Eagles at 83K kms with GY Comfort Treads, I was hoping for more since they are rated for 120K but oh well.
  • focusfocus Posts: 225
    Is rotors under car manufacturer warranty? i thought they are classified as wear and tear?
    i need to change all my pads next month with about 55,000 km, not gripping well and slip one time in emergency braking, will have them look at the rotor too.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,541
    All I can tell you is that I got a free set as well as a free turning of the rear rotors. Did GM expand the coverage as part of the Olds phase-out, I wonder?

Actually I do have an issue with the consistency of the warranty coverage re. brakes. Last month I took the car to the dealer for service with a complaint that the front right caliper was sticking or grabbing. They confirmed that diagnosis and said that because of that, the pads were worn out. I had to pay for a new set. My only issue is that the car has been exclusively dealer-serviced the entire time and part of the regular routine involves a "brake service" which I would have thought ruled out such problems, especially since they had replaced the rotors 7-8 months earlier anyway. Seems to me that a sticking caliper could only be caused by lack of lubrication which to me is their issue. But I paid for it (begrudgingly) anyway.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "Seems to me that a sticking caliper could only be caused by lack of lubrication..."

I'll bet a lot of mechanics don't relube the caliper pins when performing a brake job. If your pads have gone 40-50K miles, the pins may have dried out before the linings needed replacing.
  • pat9pat9 Posts: 2
    My 2000 Intrigue is on its 3rd alternator. This cured the minor dimming problem for the last 50,000 miles. This week, after driving fine for 40 minutes the headlights began to rapidly flicker (from 100% all the way down to completely off), brights too. The flashers still worked, the interior lights were fine, and I believe the fog lights were fine. Of course when we took it in, they could not duplicate this. It happened again for about 2 minutes another night, but has been fine other times. Has anybody else had headlights cutting out this drastically? We drove with the flashers on out of necessity.