Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you buy your vehicle again?

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,599
    I got to 120,000 miles on my van before I had to start peeling 100s out of my billfold

I had a similar experience with my 2000 Intrepid. It didn't really start hitting me hard in the wallet until 130,000 miles.

With any luck, the 2000 Park Ave I recently bought will hold off that long. It only has 58,000 miles on it right now, and at the rate I'm driving, it could be 10-12 years before I get it up to 130K!
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    Lot of money, but spread out over almost 100,000 miles, it's not too bad.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that the few hundred dollars I spend every now and again is less than a new (or used) car payment.

Though it could have been worse .. when I was shopping, I was seriously considering a Passat V6 4Motion.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    edited March 2010
    I need new tires on the van. I really do sort of hate to spend money on an upgrade like that - new tires will almost double its value. :D

Finally got around to changing the oil (12,000 miles plus interval - whoopsie). Noticed a nice inch deep dent in the oil pan about 3 inches long. No leaks. Whatever I hit over the winter may have taken out the ebrake cable since it quit working a month ago.

Where's C4C when you need it?

Yeah, ignore and abuse a car and it won't quit? Sure, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    My Accord is almost reaching the point where its value on the market would vary by how much gas is in it - but it keeps going and going. it's time for tires and in about a year another timing belt. At this point I'm likely to do those.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    for which I can say yes. The Echo has been completely repair-free and hasn't even needed brakes or a clutch, now at 135K and still pulling 40 mpg consistently.

Too bad Toyota made the car slower AND less fuel-efficient when it turned it into the Yaris. Unless they do something about both of those items for the next release this year or next, I have bought my last Toyota.

And the new Outback Sport is just great - a real driver's car considering it only cost $20 grand, plenty fast enough for me, and I love the growl of the boxer. Only at 10K miles, but at that mileage I was already thinking wistfully of trading with my last two new Toyotas. If Subaru can boost their very mediocre gas mileage, the replacement for the OBS will be a Subaru as well.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    Maybe Subaru can borrow some tech from Toyota to help the mpg improve. After all, Toyota owns almost 17% of them now.

If you aren't careful, you may own 17% of a Toyota next time. :)

Too bad Toyota didn't keep the boring boxy shape of the old Tercels when they came out with the Echo.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    1989 Ford Tempo - Owned it for 5 years and put 85k miles on it. Only 2 problem areas, failed EGR valve (Ford paid for the part; I paid labor) and tie rods.

1994 Honda Accord - Loved that car!!!

1996 Ford Explorer (V8) - Probably the last good year for Explorers. Ran it to 150k miles before wife backed it into a loading dock (don't ask)

1989 Buick Century - bought used. Served it's purpose. Not sure why people bought this car new???

2001 Chevy Malibu - I figured GM finally ironed out the problems by the 4th model year, right??? Hell no! Worst new car I ever owned. Only car we ever traded in while still paying on the loan. The reason why i am hesitant about GM.

2000 Olds Intrigue - bought used. Great buy used; not so much new. made it to 178k miles. Learned to do the maintenance myself. Would buy again used.

2004 Nissan Quest - Never buy the first year of a new model!!! Sliding door still rattles, cheap plastic, rotors warp. Thankfully it has a nice motor. Definitely pass on this one again.

2006 Toyota Camry - bought used in June 2009. I understand why the Camry is the benchmark for the class.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    One way for Subaru to boost mileage would be to offer buyers a choice of FWD or AWD, as it used to do. Would you buy a 2WD version to gain ~2 mph?
    Nah, I would have bought a Mazda if I wanted FWD. But I wouldn't buy FWD.

Steve: yeah, I liked the angular look of the Tercel too. But the bubble roof on the Echo gives it this huge amount of headroom that I really enjoy. It's kind of like the New Beetle that way.

• carstrykecarstryke Posts: 168
    01 Rio - heck no
    05 Impala - Yes
    09 Equinox - No
    edited March 2010
    Sorry. but I intended to say mpg instead of mph. However, you understood that my question related to mileage, and essentially responded that, while you value fuel economy, the AWD feature is worth a loss of approximately 2 mpg to you.
    edited March 2010
    Yes, and that's only because there are no rear-drivers available that I would like under $30K. They are all two-seat sports cars with crappy gas mileage except the Miata, which I can't fit in (and its lack of a back seat would still limit its appeal as my weekend car).

A 125i with four doors and a 4-cyl engine for around $25-27K would be the only car on my list if it existed. As it is, I went cheaper and settled for AWD. The new Subaru/Toyota RWD coupe which should be around $25K and have a proper back seat has me interested, if/when it finally appears (still a couple of years out).

Thanks for elaborating. The two Subarus that I've driven drove and rode well.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,275
    '85 MB 380SE - Oh hell yes. 260K miles with only the minimal expected repairs (except the one caused by the fact that I mistakenly thought that timing chains were forever).

''01 Jag XK8 - Yes. It's comfortable, it's been fairly dependable, and it still smells good inside. Besides, its predecessor (a '99) saved our lives in an almost head-on collision.

'03 Corvette - Probably. It's a piece of c**p, but it's a fun piece of c**p.

'09 BMW 335i - Uh, I'll tell you in a couple of years after I know how many fuel pumps are going to go south on me.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• oldcemoldcem Posts: 309
    The Maybe is a 2010 Honda CRV 2 WD. I bought it as a business driver. Its a very nice vehicle, but, I'm finding that, on business trips, Its fuel economy is far less than expected.

My other car is an 06 Jaguar S-Type VDP. I bought it as a CPO car off the local dealer over a year ago, and, it's been a delight to own. Although it's got a 300 HP V8 under the hood, it smokes the CRV on both fuel economy and performance.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,161
    Again, the mileage will improve once the engine is properly broken in at around 10 - 15k. :)
  • berriberri Posts: 4,013
    We've got a CRV - don't expect great mileage, particularly on the highway. The CRV is alright, but I think it reflects the over hype that Honda gets. In reality it is kind of tinny, noisy and bouncy and I've had several issues with it as it aged. It does have a decent interior. There are certainly worse vehicles, but personally we wouldn't buy another one, especially at the price premium they get for it.
  • oldcemoldcem Posts: 309
    Its got close to 10K on it now. I have little confidence that the fuel economy is going to improve any significant amount when I'm running interstate speeds just over 70.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • oldharryoldharry Posts: 413
    05 Impala, certainly, for the deal I got last time or better.
    94 C-1500 probably, I think I am about to buy a 2001 K-1500 if the deal is as good as it seems.

I have owned a number of GMs a Ford, several Chryslers, a Honda, and a Packard.

I would not buy that Honda again, it was purchased new in 1977, but having worked on all brands for four decades, I know that Hondas are a lot better now.

The rest of the vehicles I would buy again if I knew then what I know now, but I would not buy the same car today for my daily driver that I had fifty years ago for a daily driver.

I drove a customer's A-6 V8 a couple years ago, and had to grab my handkerchief to keep from drooling on his fine leather seats. Those are a bit out of my budget, however. :)

Harry
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    I drove a customer's A-6 V8 a couple years ago, and had to grab my handkerchief to keep from drooling on his fine leather seats. Those are a bit out of my budget, however.

You and me both! A friend on mine has an A8. Sigh.