Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real world gas mileage for sedans

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "At 8,300 miles, sustained highway speeds of 75-80 with short 90 mph bursts and still seeing 24-25 mpg. Combined with 18-20 mpg around town.

I have no complaints with that level of fuel economy compared to the performance this car is capable of"

Interesting, at 4,300 miles, sustained highway speeds of 75-80, with short 90+ mph bursts, I also see 24-25-26 mpg. In my 911S Cabriolet. In our Acura TL 6-speed, loaded with the family and luggage, we're at 29-30 mpg.

And, in both cases, I have no complaints compared to the performance capabilities. :)
  • I don't know the city mileage, because I only used my Maxima for trips of 200 miles or more. I never averaged less than 28 mpg for any trip taken, and I did get 34 mpg on one trip from Indianapolis to Allentown, PA.

I just traded for a 2006 Passat 3.6L. I hope my mileage will be just as good.
  • adamrockadamrock Posts: 2
    Sorry to let you down pal, but you will never get better then 21-23mpg in youre new 3.6L Passat. At least you have the comfort of knowing you are almost a second faster 0-60 then the 2.0 Turbo, too bad you have to run Full Syn Oil and Premium gas, thats gona hurt a bit.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    On the highway a 3.6 Passat does much better than 23 mpg.
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    What is the average speed?
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    On five hundred mile trips I got an average of twenty six point one driving about eighty mph....On one trip I got stuck in a long jam and the mpg dropped to twenty five and a half....Around town around eighteen or so...I don`t pay that much attention as the trips are very short...The engine is 4.2 v 8 tony
  • neil5neil5 Posts: 118
    2006 Toyota Avalon City Diving 25.2 mpg thus far.(3rd tank(
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    Just fill in my Jetta VR6 with this new oil (BP Ultimate 93 with 10% ethanel), mileage decrease from 20.55 mpg to 20.15 mpg(a 2% decrease in mileage from MTE blend oil)
  • kakaokakao Posts: 2
    Where can I find mileage comparisons? I only know this site:

carconsumption.com
  • redwagon1redwagon1 Posts: 6
    Some interesting info:
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/
    Some "real world" metrics from some anonymous volunteers:
    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are changing their holiday plans because of the high prices in gas (ex. driving closer to home or driving, versus flying). Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 25, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and a brief sentence or two on how you’ve changed your plans.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hals120hals120 Posts: 20
    My 2004 Acura TL has 38,000 miles. From shortly after break-in until now, my in town mileage is a steady 24 mpg, and on the highway, I can pull 29 mpg - even while exceeding the posted limit. :)
  • petomlinpetomlin Posts: 103
    So Far I'm very happy with my milage especially on the highway. Just returned, tonight, from a 150 mile Turnpike trip. 31 - 33 mpg, average speed of 70mph. Car just reached break in, 650 miles. Gotta love it! :D
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "My 2004 Acura TL has 38,000 miles. From shortly after break-in until now, my in town mileage is a steady 24 mpg, and on the highway, I can pull 29 mpg - even while exceeding the posted limit."

Wow, I think I need to pay you a visit. I have a 2004 TL 6-speed with 23,000 miles. Just returned from a trip - 370 miles in which I drove between 70 and 80 most of the way - and got 29.4 mpg. However, I average 15-17 mpg around town and that does not include a rush hour commute.

Please describe the kind of in town driving you do and your driving habits/style that produces 24 mpg. Thanks.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Everyone's "in town" driving is going to be different. I recent changed my route to work. Instead of 7 miles thru town with no more than 2 miles at 40 mph, I am going 8 miles with 7 of them at 40-50. Similar number of stops. My mileage increased almost 2 mpg.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    So you increased your commute distance by 14.3%. If your 2MPG did not increase at least 14.3% you are burning more fuel with your longer route. For example at 20 mpg driving 7 miles you use .35 gallons. At 22mpg and driving 8 miles, you are using .364 gallons. For this example you are better off driving the shorter commute at worse fuel efficiency.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "For this example you are better off driving the shorter commute at worse fuel efficiency."

That's true but I'm willing to pay the extra $.04 per day for a more relaxing commute and higher average speed.

Btw, the point of my post was to show that two different "city" driving routes can have a significant effect on mileage.
  • gladumfgladumf Posts: 2
    I found this site that lets you track your gas mileage and compare it with others of the same model:

http://www.gasaroo.com

The Toyota Prius results are interesting to look at.
  • rickwjennrickwjenn Posts: 40
    I picked up my TL w/Navi and Auto today. Very nice car. Got 29 mpg on the 52 mile drive back home. Very impressive. Did 85 or so the whole way with AC on. Car has 57 miles on it now. I am very curious if it will pick up as the car breaks in.

What is really impressive, is the Accord EXL we bought today as well for my wife. No trip computer obviously, but the gas gauge is still past full after the 52 mile trip :)

I bought both from an Acura/Honda dealer combination north of San Diego. Got both cars right at invoice and am very happy. These are our 10th and 11th Hondas over the last twenty five years :)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Well, you are not breaking in your TL very gently.

Also, on almost every vehicle out there, the fuel gauge will not move much if the tank was filled completely full. Fuel gauges are very nonlinear devices especially in the first 1.8 or so tank, and it would not surprise me that the gauge still read full after 52 miles. Doesn't mean you got tremendous mileage, in fact it means almost nothing.
This discussion has been closed.