Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real world gas mileage for sedans

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Lots of complaints from Avalon owners about uncomfortable, lumpy seats with short thigh support. Not great for long drives.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    I doubt that there have been "lots" of complaints about the '05-'07 Avalons. There have been a very, very few complaints on this forum. I find the seats to be the most comfortable that I have ever had in any vehicle. It is a true joy to drive on long trips.
  • bobwileybobwiley Posts: 241
    I'm 6' 2" and 250 pounds and I also find the seats very, very comfortable in our 06 Limited.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    I'm 5'10" 240 lbs. Wife is 5'&" 118 lbs. We both are comfortable in these seats. I put in a lot of 350-375 mile days, so any real problems should be apparent by now.
    I use the cruise as much as possible. speed is usually 5-10 MPH - 65-75 - over the posted limit. at 75 I'm getting around 31; & if I can hold a steady 65 I'm getting as much as 34. Incidentally, no jackrabbit starts & fairly flat terrain.
  • waiwai Posts: 327
    I wonder at what part of the country can you drive as high as 85 mph and use cruise control always.
    Didn't say 85. My post says 65-75
  • I am looking to purchase a '06 Avalon today fully loaded for $32M. Can anybody give me any feedback on the car. Mileage sounds good, Maintenance, Wear and Tear, etc. Going from a Honda Accord XLE to this car. :)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi, welcome!

You want to go the Toyota Avalon board and check out the discussions there. We have all kinds of conversations going on.

Good luck with your purchase - enjoy the Forums!
    You will be MUCH more comfortable and get better mileage with the Avalon. 23000 miles in 4 months and not a sign of a problem.

Mileage has ranged from a low of 28.5 to 34.5. I live in a flat area & spend a lot of time on I 95 at 75 MPH & et 32 or a little better in this kind of driving.

As for maintenance problems, I'v had Honda's, Mitsubishi's, Toyota's & Mazda's & never had a problem with any of them; & I put a minimum of 150,000 Miles on a car before getting rid of it.

The Avalon is by far the most comfortable & quietest so far.
  • philmophilmo Posts: 77
    2002 S60
    57,000 miles
    5 cyl. low-pressure turbo
    Automatic/AWD

Combined mountain road and city driving, 27 mpg
    Highways/freeways, 33 mpg

Per the saleman's recommendation we run mid-grade with no adverse affects since we live and drive between 5,000 and 10,000 ft. asl.

This car seems to be hitting it's stride now that it's over 50,000 miles -- an awesome road trip car at a sweet spot for performance, style, safety and economy for a two-person family. We also own a Grand Cherokee but the Volvo is the car of choice when we go skiing thanks to the split-folding rear seat, power and low center of gravity.
  • Just purchased an Avalon XLS (2007)...could anyone with experience please tell how it will "optimally" better perform using 91 octane? Better acceleration? Better fuel economy? and so on? Thanks
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    There are two messages on your computer display board. One is your average mile per hour and the other is your miles per gallon. I only have about 700 miles on my '06 TL and my mpg is only 21. I do suburban driving. Highway... at 55-75/hour and around town. I'm very disappointed by my mpg. Want to hear about other TL users. Maybe this is a post for the Acura board only? (No offense you Avalon drivers.)
  • I drove my VW Passat 3.6L from El Paso to San Antonio with my cruise set at 86. By the way, I got 30.4 mpg on that leg of my trip.
  • rgb2rgb2 Posts: 30
    The mpg displayed on TL are cumulative. The mpg should improve after the break-in, so reset the trip computer and enjoy :) .
    FYI, my '06 TL gets ~16mpg in stop/go, and ~30 @65 hwy. On average I get 22, but I reset the computer after each fillup.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    43k on my 05 Av Touring, although I generally put the good stuff in it because I do feel a power difference, have not noticed any falloff in FE running regular - which it does just fine. 27 mpg overall basically from day 1 - 70% or so highway. Enjoy your Av!
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I guess my heavy traffic commute really hurts my MPG. My '06 Avalon XLS has never gotten a tank average over 21.5. On some longer drives have seen the MPG creep up to 25 - 26 but by the end of the tank its back down to my normal 19.8 - 20. I am not complaining, mileage is still good for a car this big and powerful, but I just don't do enough open highway cruising to see mileage well into the 20s.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

i can certainly understand only seeing 21 mpg if you don't get the car out and let it stretch its legs. Where I live (Texas) roads are billiard table flat and they do tend to move most of the time. Under these conditions at about 75-80mph, I will see an incremental 28-29 mpg, off highway stuff at 21 or 22 (which is generally not a whole lot of gridlock) is what gets my average down. Have a friend with similar driving habits that owns a 300C - he is lucky to see 12 or 13 around town, claims a whole 22 or so on the highway, 16 overall. But, he is slightly faster than I am, what a price to pay (11 mpg)for a half second or so to 60?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    Lot of extra weight in the 300. Tons of power too, but all that combined really adds up to dismal fuel economy. The 300 definately has some appeal though, I see a lot more of them here in Jersey than my Avalon.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

IMO, the 300C is a good example of what a 'Detriot' car ought to be - big, RWD, a real rear suspension, and a big torquey V8. MPG will suffer, of course, but 'Detriot' has never shown any ability (or inclination) to build a good higher HP V6 that is also efficient. Look forward to GM getting in on this with the Australian Holden, possibly with a Vette derivative V8 at 350 hp or so as both Chrysler and Chevy leave Ford behind.