Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• tschreyertschreyer Member Posts: 12
    Sounds like you received your C240 about the same time as us. Don't worry, your warranty is still 4yr/50,000 mi.!

The reason I'm shopping now is that you have until one year after receipt of your car to purchase an Mercedes-Benz extended warranty BEYOND that period. I'm opting for this because I think it will preserve resale value after 4 years to have the manufacturer warranty and given that the 2001 C is the first year of the new model, I'm hedging my bets against anything wrong happening with the car -- especially all the new electrical gizmos.

Tim
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    please keep me informed about your shopping so I can go with you; is it possible to have group discount if few of us decided to buy from same shop? also let me know about Tele aid - are you keeping it and does it worth it ? I have only used once for Remote CAR opening

thanks
    We're keeping Tele-Aid.

My wife used it once when my daughter pushed her finger in the door when it was opened and latched it so it wouldn't shut, and a mechanic immediately got on the line and told her what to do. We also did a remote unlock just to test it.

Once, however, the car alarm sounded because of some combination of key in or out, locking, and door opening that we never figured out. Within a few minutes there was a phone call reporting that the alarm had sounded and to call back if we needed further assistance.

Knowing I'll be contacted if my car ever alarms, and if my safety systems deploy, and to have the line open for emergency help, gives us piece of mind we find to be worth the money.

Tim
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    We discussed this topic at some length a few weeks back - suggest paging back a couple of hundred posts and noting title lines - it's in there somewhere.

Highlights: New engine for the Coupe, standard single CD player, new colors, some interior details.
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    please keep me informed about your shopping so I can go with you; is it possible to have group discount if few of us decided to buy from same shop? also let me know about Tele aid - are you keeping it and does it worth it ? I have only used once for Remote CAR opening

thanks
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    I bought my extended warrenty at a discount. I posted the name and phone number a few posts back.
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    I purchased my extended warranty last year from Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA (all by phone and fax). Phone is (800) 655-3535, and she is great to work with.

Good luck!

- Paul
    I, too, have now purchased my extended warranty via phone with Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors. Cost was $1790 for 36 mo./100,000 extension. For the curious, she uses the same form your local dealership would and enters information into the same computer system. All the extended warranties are processed through one location in Montvale, NJ for all U.S. M-B dealers.

By the way, I was planning on taking Lisa's quote to my local dealer and asking them to match it, but Lisa was so easy to work with and the price so reasonable by comparison that I just closed the deal with VISA. My local dealer quoted the list price, as printed on the ext. warr. flyer, of $2380 (in my area). My dealer hasn't followed-up yet. With just two weeks to go before it was too late, it was just too convenient when compared to haggling over it with my dealer just so I could be a "loyal customer". Now maybe if they had initially quoted something other than list... :-)

Tim
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    What color C-Class do you guys have? As a rule, I do not like white as it looks too much like a rental car color. However, I think it is my favorite for the C-Class. What about you folks here?
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    We have a glacier white C240 (Auto, C2, C4) with gray interior which we bought in March 2001. IMHO, it is an excellent color for the C240 if you plan to spend saturday mornings sprucing it up while listening to "Car Talk" on NPR. BTW, ours is garaged and we have 3800 miles on it so it looks as clean as the day we bought it. You can't go wrong with the white C240. Good luck.

Regards,
    Wabends
    Tim,

Congrats on getting your warranty before the deadline, and for gettting such a good deal! Yes, if only others would quote what they really would sell for first - instead of intimidating people and making them feel bad when they do ask for a bargain. I did the same as you - did not even approach my dealer here in Atlanta for a discount, as why should I "work" in haggling for a better price when it was offered at 35% off from Lisa with no negotiation necessary.

That's another reason why I think these forums are great. There's strength in our numbers as consumers, and the knowledge we gain is power! Imho, an informed consumer is a good salesperson's best customer - and a bad salesperson's worst nightmare :-) !

Thanks for sharing and please keep contributing, I look forward to reading yours and others' future posts.

- Paul
  • rbinwehorbinweho Member Posts: 5
    claywaterfill: I got the Bordeaux Red Metallic to rave reviews from those who see the car. I'm not the guy who enjoys the carwash experience, so a lot of the other color choices were not for me.
  • c240ownerc240owner Member Posts: 2
    rbinweho, the invoice for your car is 31560 plus cd changer, i just bought one today for invoice (per edmunds.com and verified by actual dealer paperwork) plus 606 for the cd changer. what a rip off for the same changer that costs 300 from alpine. the lack of a single in dash cd was the biggest drawback to the c240 when compared to the volvo s60 and the lexus es300.
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    My C240 is Aspen green with an Oyster interior. Still would be my number 1 choice today.
    All the colors are good--I just like white myself. I do find it strange that M-B does not have a standard CD player in the car. Aren't they putting a standard CD player in for next year--or did I dream that?
    A single-disc CD player will replace the cassette as standard for all NA-bound MBs next year ['03 MY].
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I had the exact same problem six months into my ownership of a 2001 C320. That was about a year ago and I had forgotten about it until I read your post. It was truly a very wierd experience -- thought I was getting alzheimers or something. It took three people, myself and two guys on motorcycles at the pump next to me, to figure out the problem. But we did eventually figure it out.
  • afmbguyafmbguy Member Posts: 19
    Does anybody know there would be any MB PowerTrip this year in New York and New Jersey area ? If so, what is the Web site to sign up.
    Thanks.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    Following the last post, does anyone have info for a Power Trip in the Washington, DC area? Many thanks!
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    This may be a difficult question for those who have not had the opportunity to compare, but how do people with the Navigation system feel about its usability? I currently have a Lexus which has a superb, touch-screen DVD-based Nav system which I love; the car (an RX-300) on the other hand, is boring me to death, so I'm looking at getting a C320 or perhaps a BMW 330.

I know the current (2002) Nav system is CD (not DVD based); I've heard rumors that the 2003s will be DVD based.

Just wondering what people who have it think of the Nav system in the 2002s (and if anyone knows if the 2003 Nav system will be improved/tweaked, above and beyond the possible switch to DVD). [Not looking for a debate about the utility of Navigation systems in general -- been there, done that!]
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I haven't heard anything about the PowerTrip for 2002, but AMG is having a gulp(!), $850.00 event. My Benz loyaly is going to be truly tested.....

M
    Our C240 has the sport package which comes only with the all-black leather interior with the textured aluminum trim. To complement, we picked the desert silver paint color, and as you'd expect, we think it looks great! :-)

The desert silver (which is really a gold-ish metallic) seem to be very popular among the new C's at my dealership, although I see a varied mix of colors of them on the road now and then.

Tim
  • c240ownerc240owner Member Posts: 2
    does anyone notice how loud the ac system is? It seems like it is always on a high speed to keep the cabin cool. System seems very inefficient, at 5 or 6 the fan noise is too loud to hear the radio/cd.

The Germans have thought about almost everything except how hot it gets in the West, and that the owners manual folio should always fit easily in the glove compartment.
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    I usually set the AC fan speed to the middle of the range. When the car is very hot though it will run at full blast in order to cool things down as quickly as possible. When it gets to a reasonable temp I turn the fan speed knob down a tiny bit and the fan goes back to a normal level. Not sure if it's supposed to work that way, but it is a way to quiet it down if it's too loud for you. I think it is the opposite of inefficient. the idea seems to be to run at full blast for a short time to cool quickly and then run at a lower speed.
  • ahostahost Member Posts: 36
    I agree, and it's irritating because otherwise it's a very quite car. In Germany heating is used more than ac, so I don't think they put the best ac. Either it's just the fan that's too noisy, or the ac does not cool enough so that the fan has to run at a very high speed to cool down. Here in Hawaii the fan has to run at max speed almost all the time to keep the car cool, so the ac is just adequate. I don't even want to think of how it would be in Arizona in the summer. Compared with many much cheaper cars, the ac is very noisy.
  • cecconceccon Member Posts: 22
    As a previous Lexus es 300 owner (155,000 miles on the Lexus with no serious mechanical problems), I was somewhat hesitant to switch to a Mercedes C classs given the rumblings of mechanical problems. I was considering buying a new es 300, but I did not like the way it drove (i.e it's too "soft").

I ultimately took the plunge, bought a silver c2450 with grey interior. I will soon turn 12,000 miles and am delighted with it. I will probably drive a Mercedes for the rest of my life.

I told my dad about how much I loved the car. He owns a 1994 Lexus SC400 with 235,000 miles on it. He predicted doom and gloom re maintenance of the Benz.

I sent him a link to the Mercedes website so he could see my new car. (We live on opposite coasts.) Apparently, he checked out the website, and decided to tests drive a Mercedes. (He has never driven one.)

The test drive convinced him. He called me the other day and informed me he just bought a CL 500. He now agrees that his Lexus just does not compare.

Happy fathers day...
  • audis4meaudis4me Member Posts: 5
    Just curious when (or if) the C-class was going to be equiped with 4Matic. I currently drive an Audi with Quattro and will never drive a car without AWD again !!! The advantages of AWD go far beyond snow/ice conditions. I would really like to have an "affordable" non-SUV Mercedes alternative the next time I change cars.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    4Matic will be an option on the C-Class this fall.

M
  • flufferfluffer Member Posts: 2
    I read in a recent Mercedes Momentum magazine that operating a phone or radio transmitter with its own attached or built-in antenna while the engine is running can interfere with the vehicle's electronic systems. I have since been afraid to turn the power on my cell phone while in my C240. I'm wondering if MB is just trying to sell their own brand of cell phone or the very expensive Motorola V60 mentioned in the article both of which must be installed at the dealership.
    Indeed, what is the technical reason why use of MB's integrated cell phone is allowed, and not that of any other?

I would think FCC requirements regarding device interference should be the same, regardless of whether a mobile phone is handheld or integrated.
  • bouncingbobbouncingbob Member Posts: 19
    My 2001 C320 (13,000 miles) has developed a new problem. My rain sensing wipers appear to do whatever they please. For the most part, the wipers wipe continuously when in the "I" setting, even if there is no rain on the windshield. This problem developed after I had the car about 15 months. The normal wipe and fast wipe modes work fine.
    Has anyone else had this problem with their C320 (or C240)? I wanted to check with you guys before I call my Mercedes dealer. This is the longest I've gone without the car being in the shop (2 months). Your help will be appreciated.
  • hansenhansen Member Posts: 18
    I test drove the IS300, ES300, Nissans, Toyotas and yes, even the Infiniti G35, and I am amazed at how graceful and luxurious the c320 is. I went ahead and bought one for $3200 under MSRP of $41,027 and got $8500 for my '99 Camry XLE with 98000 miles (bald tires and brakes screeching as I drove up to the dealership). Does this sound like a reasonable deal?
  • rghesselrghessel Member Posts: 122
    I had a CLK with the rain sensing wipers a couple of years ago. This may be unrelated/irrelevant to your situation, but I noticed, especially in the winter when there is salt on the roads, that the sensor would "mis-read" a dirty windshield as a hard rain. Check to see if the windshield in front of the sensor (by the rear veiw mirror, I believe) is dirty...

Just an easy fix...if it works!
    It's too late now if it isn't a good deal. Don't sweat it--enjoy your new car!
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    If you are using a windshield cleaner that coats the windshield or repels water, this can cause your problem, too.

Miki
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Your father is making a pretty unfair comparison between his old Lexus and new Mercedes.

First, he's comparing an eight-year-old car to a brand new one. Of course the new one is going to look good by comparison.

Second, the only car that Lexus offers that would be somewhat similar, the SC 430, is $62,000 fully loaded. The CL 500 starts at a base price of $91,000. So, for a full 50% more one would probably expect it to be better in some areas.

Both Lexus and Mercedes are obviously good cars. What one prefers is a matter of personal preference.

I hope both you and your dad enjoy your cars.
  • cigarlvrcigarlvr Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone having the same trouble I am. I have had the booster replaced and was told this is the best they can do. I loose radio reception from time to time a certain stations. I was told by my dealer and Mercedes that they couldn't do anything. All my other cars have great reception in all the areas that I loose it with this 1 mth old car
  • mga3mga3 Member Posts: 51
    The poor radio reception has been attributed to a loose antenna amplifier connection on the rear glass. The quick test is to push on the upper rear header inside the car over the rear window while the radio is on. If the reception improves,then you know you have a loose connection.
    This has been a known issue with the C class sedan and has been issued as a tech bulletin.
    On a completely different note. After 15 months and 12Kmiles of driving my first leased MB of anykind(01'C320 Blk./Java,C2,C3,Full Leather). I can only say, this has been the best vehicle I have ever driven to this date. The only two issues I have dealt with. Was a faulty fuel guage sender unit,(which is a known isuue throughout Mercedes history) and a RT.FRNT.passenger headrest motor that died. Both were replaced and fixed under warranty by the dealer immediately.
    For me, this car still represents the best in its class. The refinement,elegance,poise,power,luxury,safety and comfort cannot be beat for it's price.
    Current BMW 3-Series owners are also complaining about bad radio reception. From what I understand, MB E-Class reception is also not very good. I have heard about some E-Class owners getting something from Radio Shack that mounts under the car to improve reception. Sorry that I don't know the details, but a little checking there may help you guys with poor reception.
  • jack148jack148 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2000 C280 in 12/01. I have owned MBZ before but I really enjoy the performance and feel of this car. However, in the 6 months I have owned the car I have experienced some strange problems. These include a bad integrated phone causing need for replacement of radio, bad amp for radio, bad display for climate control, bum rear seat belt retractor, bad fuel gauge with new cluster required and now plastic cover for front of new cluster cracked for no apparent reason,and sticking keys on radio. I love this car and will see this through but has anyone else experienced these problems?
    I own a 2000 C230 Kompressor Sport, and have not experienced any of the problems you mention. However, your issues sound very much like things I experienced when I had my 1995 C220: replacement of radio due to soft "mushy" buttons, replacement of power antenna due to a strange sound when lowering fully, replacement of climate control aspirator fan in overhead panel, replacement of intermittently inoperative fuel gauge with new gauge cluster required - and the dealer repair shop damaged the instrument panel around the cluster when replacing it (make sure you check yours for surrounding damage to dash when they replace it).

These things did not cause me to find a different car - once they were repaired they did not reoccur. In fact I liked the C220 so much that in August of 2000 when my service manager told me that 2000 was the last model year for the W-202C, I scrambled to get one of the last C230 Sport special editions on the lot. I loved my imperial red C220 even though it had fewer options, but almost two years later whenever I step on the gas and feel the power of the Kompressor, I'm still glad I traded! One of the things I like best about this vintage C-Class is they feel "heavy" when cornering.

Hope you continue to enjoy your C280, I test drove one of those and thought they were very nice and beautiful machines as well!

- Paul
  • eoseos Member Posts: 27
    I also have a C280 Y2K sport model. My climate control unit also had to be replaced for display problems. I have complained about the radio reception -- it's just not very sensitive either on AM or FM -- and was told that I had a loose antenna connection, which they tightened up. It made no real difference, and I have to say that the radio reception in our 2002 BMW 325i is better. I have, however, had no issues with the phone, the radio buttons, and the CD sound is pretty good.

My guess is that there are problems with the design of the integrated rear window antenna, and that the radio reception is limited by the poor gain of the antenna, but who knows? I agree with Paul P, though -- despite the nagging little problems, I still love the car.
  • wlkensunwlkensun Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I have found a C280 with only 3k miles and is a 2000 model and I am looking into an A6 2.7t, 2001 with 10k miles. I almost purchased the A6 and now that I saw the MB, what to do?
    Too many problems - way, way, way too many problems with the A6, especially the turbo.
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    My C320 was delivered in 10/00 with radio problems -- specifically severe static on AM. The antenna amplifier (I think that's what it was) was replaced. Six months later the problem returned. They replaced the entire rear window. Six months later the problem returned again. I just got the car back from having the antenna amplifier replaced again -- and I expect this fix to last six months at the most. But I do want to be clear for those who have made references to poor radio "reception." This is not "reception" problem. The radio reception is just fine when the car is sitting still. It's clearly some kind of loose connection resulting in severe static, that becomes apparent only when the car is moving and especially when going over bumps. Mga3 -- can you point me toward the tech bulletin you referenced? Thanks.
  • mga3mga3 Member Posts: 51
    I discovered the tech bulletinn over at MBworld.org. Where there is a MB technician that moderates Mercedes tech talk forum.
    I was able to print out a list containing numerous tech issues,issued by MB pertaining to the new C class. Came in very handy when dealing with my dealer regarding the fuel guage sender.
    Or you can simply mention it to your service adviser. They will know about it.
  • jack148jack148 Member Posts: 2
    Eos,
    Glead to hear I am not alone with C280 problems. The radio was a bad amplifier. It has been replaced and now everything is great. FYI
  • mmoskoitzmmoskoitz Member Posts: 10
    Since I'm putting my Mercedes Dealer Service survey in the mail I thought I would share the results with you. The good news is the exit/entry position feature works consistently. After I open the car after my wife has driven the seats and steering wheel move from her exit position to mine. Fabulous.

The bad news. The seat memories still don't hit their presets consistently. I find that I still have to press the "1-2-3" button to get the mirrors, seat and steering wheel exactly on.

The puzzled news. My car is up to 20,000 miles and I wanted to change my own air filters. And possibly do some of my own basic maintenance, like changing air filters, PCV Valves, speak plugs, brakes. The basic things not covered by MBUSA's warranty. I couldn't even figure out how to remove the engine shroud to access the air filters. I requested a price quote on a shop manual and the service manager wrote, "they're not available." Huh?

Michael Moskovitz
    Audiovisual CAD
    Shen, Milsom & Wilke
    Princeton Junction, New Jersey
  • jelecroyjelecroy Member Posts: 6
    I think that the MB policy is to sell maintenance CD's (no books any more) only when and where they have to. US law requires the company to make manuals available, but only here (they're not available, for example, in Europe). MBUSA usually starts selling manuals when the first production of a given model comes off warranty, which I'm guessing is as late as the law allows. The first W203s were delivered in October 2000, so I'd expect manuals to become available in late '04. You can order the "Introduction to Service" book from MBUSA now. It highlights differences between the W203 and the previous W202 models, and is fairly interesting.

The warranty maintenance service should include filter changes, coolant changeout, brake fluid change. PCV and plugs shouldn't be needed till around 100k miles. Brakes? If they are typical MB brakes, the factory pads won't last through the warranty period. I'm assuming I can figure out how to replace them without benefit of a manual.

FWIW, I just had the first B-service on my C-240, and they changed oil and filter, air filter, wipers, filled the winwash reservior, and checked off a bunch of items as "checked" . I don't recall whether they serviced the battery.

The engine cover/shroud is held on with spring clips - it just pops off, front piece first. I just had to see what was hiding under all that plastic. The force for first-time removal was high enough I was worried about plastic breakage, but since then it's easier.
  • lghb1966lghb1966 Member Posts: 4
    When I turn my heater on using auto (HI), I still have cool air coming from my front vents. I was under the assumption that with the heater unit, air only flowed wards the feet. My dealer thinks I am crazy and states I have to manually turn off my front vents if I do not want cool air blowing when he heat is on. should I accept this?

Puzzled
This discussion has been closed.