Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    The advantage of having two C-320's in my life is that I know if both do the same thing it is generic -- if one does it differently, there could be something wrong. I knew the Obsidian had windshield distortion the first time I drove it out the driveway -- the Black did not have distortion or I would have noticed.

Now, to the temperature. It seems as if the Obsidian temp gauge runs a bit higher than the Black, so I want to check this out with others. Driving normal and not traffic congested, the gauge reads approx 90 (halfway between 80 and the line marker which would be 100) This is where it usually stayed on the Black most of the time. When driving Obsidian in congested traffic, the gauge reads about 98 approx (stays a little below the 100 marker) Rarely, if ever, did I catch the Black that high.

How does this compare with other 320's out there?

Because of past bad experiences with cars overheating, I am very sensitive, not to mention uptight, to temperatures.
    Miki
  • nankynanky Posts: 75
    Jerry - Thanks for the wheel tips. I will check out the OZ site to see what they have to offer. What brand of tires did you go with? I understand the Bridgestone SO3 pole positions are very highly rated.

Miki - After close to 2000 miles I don't recall seeing my temperature gauge rise that high. I actually checked the gauge two days ago while in traffic and it was right around the 89 mark and around 85 or so when the car was moving. Since my wife has commandeered the car for now, I will verify this information later in the day to make sure my statement is accurate. I bet I would have noticed if the gauge had read close to 100.
  • matthew23matthew23 Posts: 11
    Well, I haven't even owned the car a month, and I already have two ugly black scuff marks in the interior -- one on the plastic/vinyl part of the seat base right near the door, and the other smack dab in the middle of the glove box. I've rubbed at them with with a damp cloth, to little or no effect. Any suggestions for cleaning? Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Well, Drew, I still consider $1200 to be over $1k, and that is still more money than I would pay for a xenon conversion, but to each his own.

I would certainly take care to get the sanction of a dealer in any such swap, because if something goes wrong, the results, if handled outside of warranty, could get exponentially expensive very fast.

Look, I like the xenons, but don't understand paying this kind of money when the combination of standard lights with fogs do a pretty fair job of getting you where you need to go. It is also a mystery, like so many other mysteries associated with the way the Germans do business, why this needs to cost anything at all on these cars when Honda can do it on the TL, CL, RL, etc. for too little to consider charging extra for. At the factory production level, if this adds more than $150-200 to the cost of the car, I'll eat this computer...
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    My temp is usually at 90 close to the coast. When I went up
    to Pasadena last week it rose to 100 in traffic.
  • Following a member-guest golf outing yesterday, I was admiring a fellow golfer's new (900 Miles) CLK-320 convertible in the parking lot. When he set out to leave, the engine wouldn't start. Everything else worked normally when the key was inserted and turned, but the start sequence didn't start. Turns out this was the second time that this has happened to this guy - the first time, the car was out of commission for a week while a new ignition key module was flown in from Germany. We called Mercedes on his TeleAid and got a prompt, courteous, and concerned reply, but the best they could do was send a tow truck. The CLK-320 key setup appears to be identical to our C-classes. By the way, he waited 14 months to get his convertible.

Tom
  • diwc240diwc240 Posts: 172
    The latest issue of The Star magazine (July/August) has an excellent article on engine operating temperatures and the tests MB conducts in the Nevada desert.
    I'll try and post some of the technical details (very interesting analysis) at a later time. If there was some way of linking to the magazine article online...
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    Mark -- it seems as if yours reads about the same as mine.

Ian -- thanks -- if you ever find a way to link to The Star, it would be interesting to read the article to which you refer.

Nanky -- would appreciate verification of your numbers, since our kids are twins. :)

Thanks all.

Miki
  • jerry320jerry320 Posts: 27
    I have Yokohama AVs on mine because they are cheap and will last little longer than others. Pirelli P7000s are also very nice. If you can use 225/40/18 for all four wheels, try Yokohama Prada. Prada tires have an unique tread design, but they are directional.
  • mofo01mofo01 Posts: 7
    I have the C for 4 months now and I want to clean/condition the seats. I don't have full leather option. I was wonder what product do some of you use.....Can I use MB leather care? Thank advance for any helps.
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    ctic - I'm thinking about getting a CD changer from Clairparts for my '00 C230SE. What were the steps to installing yours in the trunk of your '99? Is the thing easy plug and play?

What about not being able to return electrical parts to Clairparts if the thing doesn't work? I fried a new radio once on a VW GTI due to someone else's improper previous wiring attempt, so am a bit apprehensive.

- Paul
  • diwc240diwc240 Posts: 172
    DaimlerChrysler Beats Expectations:
    FRANKFURT (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler AG beat market expectations with its second-quarter results on Friday helped by a stronger than expected performance at its loss-making U.S. Chrysler unit, sending the stock higher.
    Mercedes-Benz, one of the company's main profit drivers, posted a 10 percent rise in its second-quarter adjusted operating profit to 830 million euros.

($1-1.143 Euro)

Thanks to all the new C owners !!!!
  • nankynanky Posts: 75
    Nanky -- would appreciate verification of your numbers, since our kids are twins. :)

>> Miki, I will verify the numbers tomorrow. With my wife driving the car lately, I have been relegated to a weekend C driver. Why do I have a feeling our cars were one after the other on the production line?

Tires - I saw a C320 + C6 that had 18' Lorinser wheels. The car had been lowered a tad and the wider tires gave it a more sportier look. I believe the fronts were 225/40/18 with 255/30/18 on the rears. It really looked sharp. Now, although I like the wider look, should I decide to keep my 16 wheels which are currently fitted with 225/50 tires, does anyone know if a wider size 16' would fit on them?
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    The Auto Bild website has a summary of this week's article in which the above-noted three cars are compared. Check it out:

www.autobild.de

I hope this doesn't spoil it for anyone, but the winner of the test is...the C 240, with the Ford, er, Jaguar in a distant third place. That is perhaps not surprising, but that the faster BMW did not best the C 240 in the ratings scheme may be a little surprising. Most car magazines tend to be into speed above all else, but I guess Auto Bild has a more realistic attitude to car assessment.

Also interesting is the fact that the BMW's "official" fuel consumption figure, some 2 L/100 km (about 20%) better than the C 240 is proven to be false in the case of the test vehicles, as the BMW actually drank slightly MORE fuel during Auto Bild's test than the C 240. Very interesting...
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    It was as easy as 1-2-3. I remember that I had to buy the CD and the CD installation kit. All the connections are plug ins. The CD worked right away. There are only 2 connections! 1 for the power and 1 for the fiber optics.

If you return something to clairparts I think they charge a 10% re-stocking fee, but you better ask them.

Recently, someone in the Mercedes M-class forum (or here? these are the 2 I frequent) mentioned that he could get the OEM MB/Becker CD changer for much cheaper from another website/company. Better go there and ask.
  • jtouga1jtouga1 Posts: 8
    All you European car lovers out there, please check into "European Parallel Importing" on the Smart Shopper in the Town Hall.

I really need you opinons and advice on this subject. Thanks...

Jon
  • spndxspndx Posts: 36
    Question for those of you who have done some customizing of your MY01 C-Class (i.e., lowered springs, wider wheels/tires): did your MB dealer do the work? If not, do you know how it affects your warranty? How much did it cost?

That is my next 'want' item after the CD player. I'm not looking to cut my springs down to the ground, but lowering them to match the Sport model specs sure would be cool.
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    For folks who have changed their wheel/tire setups, are you sticking with an aspect ratio that maintains the wheel height? You can find a decent tire size calculator here:

http://www.c5-corvette.com/tirecalc.htm

It's not just the speedo error, I've heard that cars with ESP don't react too well to changes in the overall wheel/tire height. Comments?

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    As long as the overall wheel diameter does not change too much (probably 1-4% is safe) from the stock diameter, you should be okay. ESP can compensate for slight differences. The problem is that if you put on a drastically larger tire, the wheel speed sensors that the ABS and ESP rely on can give false readings. Larger tires spin slower, so the ABS/ESP may activate prematurely or too slowly. If you do have a flat tire, you can use a different size spare tire as long as it is within 10% of the diameter of the stock wheel. However, you should switch back to the proper size ASAP, as 1 different size tire could wreck the differential.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • kwmbkwmb Posts: 2
    I'm picking up my new C320 in a few days and wanted some advice please. What should I look for when picking it up?
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    Doesn't the C have some COMAND system config for the tires like the E class does? I thought it was a COMAND feature so that's why you can't do this on the ML's MCS...
    You'd think they'd be able to make it configure automagically by using the internal GPS from the TeleAid system...
    I just learnt from MB Canada that Parktronic will be optional on the C-class for '02, at least for Canada. Designo editions will also be offered, no doubt at a lofty price. Other than that, everything else is the same.

The '02 C230K coupe will be CDN$33,950 (manual), and CDN$35,450 (automatic). The C320 wagon will be $52,850, or $2250 more than the C320 sedan. The C32 AMG is $65,900. Considering that it comes with things that are optional on the C320 Sport, the price differential is much less than I would've though. That is, below CDN$10K. Here's where it gets interesting though. The E320 sedan has an MSRP of $68,350. I bet a lot of potential E320 owners will be wondering whether they can sacrifice the larger amount of room for an AMG sedan. ;-)

On an unrelated note, the 6 disc CD changer is now standard equipment on the '02 S-class, and the '02 E55AMG. For those prices, it's about darn time! The MSRP for the S430 LWB is now CDN$101,860. The standard equipment level of the car (S-class) hasn't changed either since its debut for MY2000, and yet there is a $2K increase since then. Not impressed with their pricing structure! And the MBC president was wondering why sales are still slightly less than BMW Canada's. Ha!

Drew
    Host
  • benz747benz747 Posts: 91
    All,

been to dealer and saw my Silver Princess finally sitting on the dealers LOT (C240 Auto, C2) dealer said the car will ready by Monday (they need to fit FREE CD changer) and I can pick up on Tuesday.

So just a littel information for 2002 buyers that the MB has increased their prices on BASE and Color ($600 and $25 resp) and I had to pay $700 more after taking into consideration taxes etc.

I just need a few checklist from current owners as what I need to look before picking up my CAR on Tuesday

I am really thankful to all of you for contributing their views about the most beautiful entry level SEDAN; in my opinion the closest competition will be a new Q from infinity (at least there Advertisement on TV is impressive)

thanks once again
  • edarteedarte Posts: 41
    I am interested in how long it takes between order date and pickup of MY2002 C320's.

I ordered my C320 (Illinois)end of May and I am now being told to expect delivery around Sept 21st. Previous delivery date was August 21 but apparently leather shortage is also causing slow down in building of C320's with leather.

What were/are your order and delivery dates?
    TIA
  • fuzzofuzzo Posts: 88
    I ordered my 240 from the same dealership in b'more as you did. When did they give you an exact date the car would be here. I was told my Marsha B that my car just went into production and that it will take about 40 days to get here.

Also was the price increase for the color standard or just for the metallic colors?

Thanks in advance
  • doug110doug110 Posts: 2
    I always perform the first oil change on a new car at 1,000 miles and then subsequent changes every 3,000 miles thereafter. My C320 now has about 1,000 miles and the dealer insists that I don't need to change the oil the first time until the oil service light comes on in 8,0000 - 10,000 miles!

Has anyone done any research on this? Is it really OK to wait that long?

BTW - this board has been extremely helpful. I was able to figure out a lot of the electronics on my car just from your posts.

Thanks
  • gregmd1gregmd1 Posts: 1
    I hit something in the road with driver's side tire and have cracked the plastic under panel and lower painted body panel just below the front door. Does anyone have any educated estimate as to how much I should expect to repair this damage? I just want to be prepared prior to going to the dealer
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    I am not impressed with the admittedly minor price gouging that MB Canada has decided to unleash for 2002.

Let's see...a year ago the Deutsche Mark was worth something near 80 cents CDN and it was possible to sell a C 240 Classic for $37,450. Now the DM is around 68 cents and the C 240 Classic price......RISES by $500, with no change in equipment. That must be the new math, as practised by MB Canada ;-)

And how about the C 32, for the equivalent of $43,000 US ($65,900 CDN). That's quite a lot cheaper than the US version. I wonder if the Canadian one has rubber flooring and wicker seats, to be able to undercut the US MSRP by $7000 US.

I think MB Canada has interesting marketers working for them - the C 240 Classic customer is way more price-sensitive than the C 32 customer. And yet the C 32 customer gets a huge price break. Curious, considering how few C 32s will be sold in Canada.

Mike
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Thanks for the CD info, ctic. Will be sure to check out the M-Class forum.

Showitt, thanks very much for the extended warranty info!

- Paul
    Paul, Steven also the one who mentioned in the M-class topic that he used a Bekker CD changer for the sound system. No surprise there since the stock headunit is probably made by Bekker too.

Mike, I'm not too impressed either. Frankly I am surprised that they decided to raise the price at all because the C-class is already expensive compared to the BMW 3-series, even though there was no price increase from the '00 C280 to the '01 C320. Feel free to write to MB Canada's president, Ernest Lieb, to voice your complaint ;-). FWIW, he was actually down in Vancouver a few weeks ago at one of the local dealerships, having a meeting with the sales managers in the region.

Drew
    Host
This discussion has been closed.