Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Hi - I recently bought a portable mp3/cd player with a cassette adapter. I had high hopes of listening to non-stop mp3 music in my 2001 c240. I was disappointed when the cassette door did not close because of the wire and there was this beep sound every two seconds because of that. MB customer service advised me that they don't recommend(!!) playing mp3 songs this way and there is no way to turn off the beep sound when the cassette door is kept open. I wish they had a setting for this in the instrument panel. Mp3 player works like a charm in my other acura car.Does anybody know whether there is a mp3/cd player available for c-240 yet ? Thanks for any advice
  • While I usually stick to bought and homemade CDs, I hear that the IPOD works great in the C if you have access to a mac
  • lxgmblxgmb Posts: 41
    The brake dusts of my C320 on the front wheels are so tough, that they can't be removed even with MB "Wheel Care". Any effective ways to remove that?
  • We are in the process of purchasing a new MB C240. I have relied upon the invoice information provided by Edmunds.com to negociate the deal (my cost over invoice). For metallic paint, Edmunds shows:

invoice: N/A
    MSRP: $640
    TMV: N/A

I assume that there is no invoice cost for metallic paint, but my dealer is certian that there is an aprox. $500+ invoice cost (I can't remember his exact quote), which he derived as a percentage of the MSRP. Is there such a cost, and if not, where can I find documentation that will convince him otherwise (i.e., does MB publicly post invoice prices, or will they provide this info if I contact them directly)?

THANKS!
    CTW
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    For the dust that's on them now, I don't have any recommendations - maybe a Meguiar's product, they are really good. Whatever you do, don't use a "scrub pad" as it will scratch the heck out of the finish on your wheels.

However to avoid future stuck-on dust you may want to try washing the wheels then waxing their surface. I do this on my C-Class and afterwards, the brake dust always washes right off with a hose and car wash soap.

You'll probably want to wait until the brakes cool down before you wash your front wheels though. This will keep from possibly warping your brake rotors, as I had happen with my last C-Class. I am much more careful now.

- Paul
  • MB provides some basic colors at no additional charge. ie. white, magma red and a black I believe. Then, some metallic colors incur the $600+ paint charge. Some other metallic colors incur a special, one-time $1150 charge because the car needs distinct attention. Try pricing your configuration on the MB web site.
  • I went to look at the MB C230. Does anyone besides me think it looks like a Ford Focus with different headlights?
    Haven't noticed that so much as I have noticed that newer Jaguars appear Taurus-esque (hmmm... who bought Jaguar and Volvo?). Perhaps it is just the "new-style" of car design these days! The old days were nice when you still had some models out there (i.e., AMC Gremlin) that looked similar to nothing else! :-)
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    >>When the BMW dealer appraised the car, it informed me that the entire car had been repainted. talked briefly to the MB dealer who has denied that they did anything to the car.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can proceed to get justice on a fraudulent act by my dealer? I'm not looking for a long, drawn-out process, but a simple way to establish that the dealer was responsible for this deception.....

Icheu,

I have had several problems, all of which have been resolved by going to the MB Operation Manager for Service and Parts. One of which had to do with a small paint defect on my C320 delivered in December 2000, and I was unbelievably rewarded by my efforts. However, there is no such thing as a process that is not long or drawn out. It took me three months of faxing, calling and copying to many people. It is best if you concentrate on the deception by MB, rather than the fact you are going for a BMW. It is entirely possible you could get a replacement car from MB or compensation.

Miki
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    One of the reasons I decided on my C320, rather than a BMW, was because of the Tele-Aid system. At the time of purchase, BMW did not have anything comparable. Tele-Aid gives me peace of mind for which no price is too high. I often drive late at night and have called twice for route assistance. For me, there is comfort in knowing it is there. I put my purse in the trunk at a basketball game -- because the car is valet parked -- used my key to lock and could not get the trunk to open with the key after the game. It took ten minutes for the closest MB dealer's mechanic to arrive and fix.

Miki
  • Over the past 15 months my 2001 Mercedes C 320 has been in for repairs 14 times. Two new transmissions, 2 repairs to the tel-aid system, new tires after 14,000 miles, electrical system repairs for malfunctions to the windows and mirrors, a new heating system control panel, two new CD players and the list goes on. Has anyone had similar problems with their C 320 or do I have the only lemon? To date the most I have have been able to negotiate with Mercedes is an extended bumper to bumper warranty for 100,000 miles and 6 years. Other than that all they offered was a new car at additional cost to me, and I will not pay anything more. I like the looks of the car, and it drives well when not in the repair shop but for $42,000 and a Mercedes I expected a very good reliable car. My previous car, an Acura TL, never needed anything other than routine maintenance.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    Way too many problems...tires after 14K miles, two transmissions, two CD players? Something is fishy here.
  • In response to Peter84's posting - I am very sympathetic. I bought my new C320 in December 2001 and while my problems have not been as serious as yours I have been in the shop nearly ten times myself. I have experienced problems with the mirrors, windows, tele-aid, power seats, trunk not opening, keys failing, tail lights burning out, etc. Many of the problems I have been experiencing the dealer is not competent to repair. In fact they have done more damage to the car - usually there is black grease on the door, threshold, seats and carpet; they have dented the passenger door interior panel and removed and lost some rubber weather-stripping on that door (lots of wind noise now).
    I'm afraid that buying this car was a huge mistake. I should have bought the 3 series BMW or waited for the new ES 300 or X-Type.
    I am interested in how you won the extended warranty - did the dealer offer it or did that come from your regional MB rep?
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    I guess I happen to be lucky because I have one of the early build C320 Sport models. Have not had any problems at all! Mine has a serial number LESS than the one needed to make the tele-aid unlock feature work to give you an example of how early the build is. I don't even have the green light in the trunk!

The car is great but I believe it's extremely overpriced! Sorry to say, I won't be shopping Mercedes unless they rethink their options pricing. I also have a C230 Coupe which is priced right (didn't get power seats). I enjoy that car more than my C320. Too bad my wife rarely lets me drive it!
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    Castinstone wrote:"Some other metallic colors incur a special, one-time $1150 charge because the car needs distinct attention."

One of the few things that make it more attractive to buy a C Class in Canada is that all metallic colours cost the same (about $500 US) - no "special order" charge at all.

Another advantage I guess is the fact that the "Classic" version is available in Canada; a C 240 Classic costs $23,750 US here. And a C 32 is about $42,500 US in Canada.

But we get ripped off for the options: a rear blind, sold on its own, costs over $400 US here, and Xenons are about $1200 US. Can you say "ripoff"? So I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Mike T.
  • jsn1jsn1 Posts: 3
    In response to message 5042, you can use an MP3 player with cassette adapter in the C-class if you don't mind leaving the access door open. There is a small switch inside the door to the right of the cassette slot which senses when the door is open. It is something like the switch on your refrigerator door that turns the light on when you open the door. To stop the beeping which occurs when the door is left open, I placed a small (about 1/8 inch square) piece of double stick foam tape in the small recess where the switch is. The foam tape works well because it compresses when the door is closed and holds the switch down when the door is open.

A more elegant solution is to buy a Cassette shaped MP3 player. The one I have seen is called the digisette. Their website is: http://www.digisette.com/

A third possibility is to use a small FM transmitter that connects to your MP3 player and transmits a signal to your FM radio. I tried this, but the one I had sounded so bad I went back to my cassette adapter.

As far as I know, Mercedes has not offered any other solution to this problem. Good luck.

• In response to "scared MB" I was able to get an extended warranty only after arguing at length with the dealer about the great number of repairs, several of them serious, and about the offer they made to give me a new car at additional cost to me. If things continue the way they are I think I will just want to give the car back (I'm sure they will refuse that) and buy a lexus GS 300..
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,460
    have you contacted MBUSA about all the problems with your C320?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• ahostahost Posts: 36
    I also had numerous problems with my C320. None of them major, though, mainly of the nuisance type like rattles and memory drift. The car seems never to be in a perfect condition. This diminshes my joy of the car; it never gives me the feeling of solidity and quality that I would expect from MB, and it also makes my worry about what will happen once the warrenty expires. peter84, I wonder, what was the problem with your transmission?
    Thats's crazy! Especially since MB makes probably the most bulletproof automaic transmission on the market. I would definitely get a hold of MBUSA and see what they'll do for you. Keep complaining (write letters & make phone calls) until you get to the top and speak to a guy named Paul Halata (President & CEO of Mercedes-Banz USA, LLC.). It will be worth your time. Don't waste your time trying to get another car from the dealer.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I have to agreee - the automatic transmission in my 2000 C-Class is the most solid of any MB or other car I have ever driven or owned. It "grabs" the car quite well - you can feel the application of torque to the wheels - at idle when put it into Drive, giving the impression of bank-vault solidness.

However, I did have some problems with my 1995 automatic transmission when outside temps dropped below 5 degrees F. When cold, the transmission would drop out of first gear when coming to a stop very slowly - and then would re-engage once RPMs increased slightly. Once the drivetrain warmed up even just a bit, everything appeared to be normal.

I noticed it at about 10,000 miles, and when brought to the dealer's attention they did not think it was worth investigation, but did note it on paperwork for future reference. I traded at 5 years and 40,000 miles without any further issues - also moved to a warmer part of the country, so it never did happen again anyway, problem solved - sort of. If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear... :-)!

- Paul
  • Thanks for the advice. I have a meeting in a little over a week with the regional Mercedes rep. I'll see what he has to offer. I'm very discouraged with the car and with Mercedes so far but we'll see.
  • Decided not to pay $775 dollars for a CD changer. Have any of you purchased a CD changer recently from Clair.com or any other reliable source of MB parts? How much did you have to pay for the CD changer? Also how much did MB charge to install it? Appreciate your input...
  • wc68wc68 Posts: 23
    Did anyone buy the extended warranty for their C240 or C320? How much did you pay? And is it worth it?
  • 1 year extension for $865. All extensions are for
    100K miles and X years. I'll do 100K in 5 years so it is well worth it. Cost goes up with years. Factors to consider are how long you intend to keep car and mileage you drive. Also, REALLY helps with resale value if there is warranty left.
    wc68,

Got my C230 warranty extended last year for an additional 4 years, for a total of 8 years and 100K at $1680, an $880 discount off the MSRP of $2560. The secret was that I went through Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors in Chico, CA.

I found out about her from a very helpful poster on this board. It is the "real" extended warranty from MB, all done by phone/fax/visa. I checked with my local MB service advisor a month later, and sure enough my car is in the system as having the extended warranty! This provides real peace of mind, as I was recently laid off from work and may be changing careers (return to college, etc.) - but not to worry about MB repairs, at least until 2008!!!

Lisa's an awesome person, and she can be reached at (800)655-3535.

Good luck!!

- Paul
  • wc68wc68 Posts: 23
    Thanks Paul! I will give her a call! Is Courtesy Motors strictly a MB dealer? Do you know of any sites that post the MSRP prices of MB extended warranties?
  • What is the best deal I can get and in which dealership in Bay Area on C230?
    Good for you! You paid (or are paying the lease payments on a) $40,000+ car. Stuff like that shouldn't happen. Whatever you do, don't be satisfied unless you get the results you want. Keep us posted! The C is a crucial car fro Mercedes because for many people it is their first . If you're unhappy with your C now, you probably won't step up to an E Class or buy another C Class, but buy an Audi, BMW, or Lexus.

• I wonder if the repaint job was done at the vehicle prep center. From what I heard from friends, you'd be amazed at the damage done to cars during transport.
This discussion has been closed.