Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,024
    I don't know about my parents' '98 CLK, but when they had a 1990 300E and the front & rear brakes were done at the same time, rotors replaced it cost somewhere in the $1500-$1700 range. I don't remeber the mileage...it was pretty high though.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• Remove the plastic panel under the engine and I think you'll find a conventional drain plug (this is how our e320 is built). Don't forget to buy a replacement copper sealing ring when you buy your oil filter (costs around $0.25). I prefer to drain the oil vs. "Topside" it for two reasons. Maybe old-fashioned, but I like the oil to be freshly run (stirred up) and reasonably hot, and I've heard Topsiders tend to collapse hoses if the oil is hot. Also, I want to make sure ALL the old oil drains out, especially since my 2002 C320 doesn't have a dipstick, so I'll fill it by quantity (8.5 qts).

Regarding oil grade, I would not use Mobil1 5w-30 since it is NOT MB approved - buy the Mobil1 0W-40 (I think you'll find a source by searching on yahoo - someplace called "Park"). Have fun!
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    It appears that the topside oil change is the correct procedure for this engine, see:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_oil_change2.htm

Getting the oil hot with synthetic is probably not necessary, unless you are doing it in 10 degree weather. You can get those topsiders at any marine accessories shop.

• 404c404c Posts: 146
    The purpose of changing oil when it's hot is not to make it less viscous, but rather to have all the ultra-fine particulates remain in suspension as the oil is drained.
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Great link - thanks!!!

- Paul
  • Hey folks, don't know if any of you know this already, but I found it over at MbWorld and tested it, and it works. If you ever want to disable your ESP system to do some nice smokey burnouts or if you're at the track, here's the procedure:

"1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
    2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
    3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
    4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one)
    5. Press the up arrow button.
    6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode)
    7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
    To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
    NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.
    No, this doesn't work for any car but the W203, before you ask.
    Enjoy, and I'm not buying you new tires!

On cars equipped with Command, to enter the diagnostic screen
    press and hold the following keys for about 8 seconds: Mute + 1 + 3"

Now, I should warn you that by doing this, at least on my Coupe, you also disable the BAS and ABS systems, so it's not a good thing to do before you drive to work . Also, doing this procedure will also bring up an additional information screen in the MFD, with your ECU's current software version, hardware version, serial number, an actual measurement of your oil level (not just Oil Level OK), and your engine's version number. Pretty cool stuff. Enjoy!
  • diwc240diwc240 Posts: 172
    One year anniversary today for my C 240 6 speed.
    Phenomenal automobile !! 10,300 superb miles, what a RIDE !!
    FSS A completed last week. Oil change from Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50 (I had done at 3500 mi.) to Quaker State synthetic 5W40 here in Jersey.
    Loaner was a C230 (certainly did not like that engine compared to the V6 in my opinion).
    Highly recommend the C 240 6 speed if you want a fun and exciting ride !! Love that 3000 to 4500 rpm torque sweet zone...
    Ian
    How's that 6 speed trating you now that its broken in? How was it initially? Does it really help compared to the slushbox? I've driven a C240 with TouchShift and thought the ride was nice and firm, the engine was smooth, but had very little pickup. Does you car have the Sport Package?

• My C240 was one year old on February 5. On that date it had 20,866 miles on the odo, had burned 878.1 gallons of fuel (23.8 mpg), and has been a dream to drive from day one.

I just renewed the Tele-Aid, did use it once; picked up a nail in a tire mid morning on a Sunday, hit the SOS button, identified myself and the M-B service car came, changed the tire checked other tires and was gone in less than an hour. He had to drive about 22 miles one way to get to me. I'd call that excellent service. I look on the Tele-Aid like insurance, I spend the money and hope I never have to use it.

There have been a few relativly minor problems that have been solved promptly and satisfactorily by the dealer, Mercedes-Benz of Omaha. However, the ownership experience has been just great due to the well balanced combination of luxury, driveability, and comfort. I can only hope that your experience will be as good.

Bubba

". . . My friends all drive Porsches, I must make AMENDS . . ." J. Joplin
    I recommend taking a 6 speed for a test drive that has over 1500 miles on it so you can push it to the 5000+ rpm range.
    I thought I had some engine lag but realized after a few thousand miles that I was leaving my foot - just touching the clutch pedal through second gear. Once I made sure my foot was completely off the clutch, the acceleration from 2nd to 3rd was just as smooth as in shifting all the way up to 6th.
    The engine gets smoother as you get to 10,000 miles (then it is really broken in...or so I am
    told). The 6 speed is beautifully smooth and a joy to drive (I had a 5 speed Subaru Outback - with a very sticky gearbox prior to this).
    I used to have a link to Ward's 10 Best Engines for 2000/2001, which showcased the C 320 V6 engine last year.
    (looks like Ward's Auto is now a premium web service $ to get previous reports...)
    (scroll down near bottom of the mainpage) Under Ward's Special Reports:

2002 Ward's 10 Best Engines:
    "Inline 6-cyl. powerplants take three slots among Wards 10 Best Engines for 2002".

with DaimlerChrysler AG 5L SOHC V-8 (Mercedes-Benz ML500) making this year's 10 Best.
    The E Class / C 320 engine is in their List of Best Engines History over the past seven years:

DaimlerChrysler AG 3.2L SOHC V-6 Mercedes E320 - - - 98 99 00 01

http://www.wardsauto.com
  • Nissan's VQ V-6 has won the award again...8th time in a row. It will be featured in the new Infiniti 260hp RWD G35
  • bill124bill124 Posts: 242
    Any ideas on whether I should be paying at or above MSRP for a 2002 CLK 320 convertible in NY? Also, any contacts for European delivery would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • I'm on the list for the upcoming AMG convertible myself(A209). When I inquired about the new model (in CA) they offered me a deal on a current model close to invoice...So I'm sure you could work something out, but certainly do not pay more than MSRP.
    Close to invoice? That's interesting. Maybe these guys can tell I haven't bought a $50,000+ car before. Yesterday I had a dealer in N.Y. on Long Island (Smithtown) tell me they are getting $10-$15K over MSRP for a 2002 and that was after a 6 mo. wait! I walked out. I eventually had their autobytel dealer call me back to say "no one" will do better than MSRP. I am certainly willing to take a current model (and I don't mind waiting).
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    Was that Competition, or the new dealer in Huntington? Long Island is no place to buy a luxury car, too many people with too much money in a "closed" area with relatively few dealers. I bought my last three "expensive" cars in New Jersey, and will probably do the same again. Try the Rockville Center dealer, they seemed civilized at least, but I never priced a car there. You could try Rallye Motors, but dress up, and don't brush up against the Rolls Royces!
    dealers outside of the floating traffic jam (Long Island). There are numerous dealers in Westchester, Connecticut, New Jersey, & Rockland Counties that are withing and hour to an hour and a half drive (depending on traffic). While CLKs don't sit on the lot, they ceratinly shouldn't be going for over sticker. My parents have a '98 coming off lease in April. They're also changing the body next year ('03) and will build the car on the current C-Class Platform.

• Does anyone know if it is possible to install a CD player if I did not choose on purchase? It seemed too expensive at the time, but now I regret it.

If so, can it work through the regular system, or would it have its own controls?

Thanks

Ivar
  • Bill,
    you shouldnt be paying anything over dearler cost for the 320CLK. Whatever inventory they have left they need to clear out for the new model. I just purchased an 2002 E320 three weeks ago at dealer cost because that model is also going to be changed this year. I know that the E320 is their biggest seller and inventory on hand needs to be sold. Too bad you're not out here in Southern California.
    Anyone who is looking for an E320 or CLK shouldnt pay over dealer invoice. I purchased the E320 at Silverstar in Thousand Oaks Auto Mall.
    Changing the subject. I am also an owner on a 2001 C320...As most of us have incurred some sort of problems, I too have had the key problem and also had to take the car in to have the sun roof switch replaced. The lid fuction didnt activate properly. The sun shade screen works intermittantly. Other than that the car is great fun to drive.
    Thanks for the input. Yes, it was Competition. I had my wife and kids there and didn't want to create a scene but I was really pissed when he said that because while they may be in demand, the Wall Street bucks just aren't flowing like they did early last year or the year before.

Socal. At invoice or a bit above? It almost makes sense to order out there, fly out and pick it up but driving cross country could be a pain. What do you think?

I checked Fairfield in Connecticut and he gave me the long wait list song and dance and said only MSRP, same with Mercedes Benz manhattan. Maybe need to try N.J. or philly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Does the CLK have an accents on the lower body work without the sport package or is it really non-existent? The car I saw had it and I really don't want the package but I like the look. Thanks.
    My parents have owned Mercedes since 1990. Their current car's (1998 CLK 320) lease is up in April. A few months back they started looking again and naturally went to Mercedes first. They called a dealer and set up an appointment to test drive an E320, C320, & SLK320. They would walk into dealers and the dealers seemed to act as if they didn't need my parents' business. This is even before they started talking price. They've went to a few dealers and most of them had a terrible attitude. Mercedes-Benz lost repeat buyers. They ended up with an Audi A6. I wish I could help more. Maybe try and set up an appointment with the sales manager.

• Yes you can buy one from the dealer or go to http://www.autoclass.net/online_catalog/mercedes/203/electronics.html or http://clairparts.com/

You can buy the CD players there and have then installed at the dealer. Ask your dealer about the install cost. I paid around 200.00 but it was then under MB warrenty for 4 yrs.

Good luck

• I've noticed that quite a bit in the last few years. A few normal ones here and there, but the majority think they are beholden only to the royal family. I always get the creeps when walking into a benz showroom. It's like the stepford suits.
  • I visited 3 Mercedes dealerships in Southern California and all of them were great experiences. A lot of time was taken with me and my test drives were thurough. I was treated with respect at all times (I'm 20), I was catered to and even served refreshments at one dealership. This has given me high hopes for my continued ownership experience, and Mercedes has certainly outclassed the other dealers down here in terms of Service for sure.
  • Don't confuse "Sales" with "Service". I had great "service" when they were selling.

When I got to the "servicing" aspect , as in repairs, things quickly plummeted to Hyundai-like levels.
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    Trust me, wait for the 2003 model of the CLK - it's better looking than the rather chunky present-generation CLK. For example, the heaviness in the rear (sort of like automotive "thunder thighs") is gone, replaced by a CL-type lightness of design. The C-pillar is a lot lighter too. Check it out: http://mbspy.bacosys.be/c209filo.htm

If you like the present CLK design, certainly don't pay more than a clearance price for it. Go into the dealer with a colour printout of the new CLK body and say you might settle for an old one if the price is low enough. Hardball is the rule!
  • Bill,
    To answer your question. YES ...dealer invoice...not one penny more...including all options with car at dealer cost also. As time gets closer to the release of the new "E" it only makes sense to deplete the 2002 stock on hand. The deal was too good to pass up. My wife loves the body style and its such a different drive than the C320. I prefer a more sporty drive, but when you want to just relax and enjoy a very comfortable drive then the "E" is fantastic. It's all a matter of preference. I don't see any reason why they should'nt be seeling the CLK's at dealer cost also.
  • Thanks for posting the link to the new CLK info. It really does look great. I loved the current CLK when it was introduced and the new one looks even better. But I kinda wish they had saved to headlight design from the current model. Any idea what prices will be like? Paying 35K for my C240 was about my upper limit I'm afraid.

I saw that new Infiniti G35 at the Toronto auto show and thought it looked great. Seems like this segment of the market is getting even more crowded.
This discussion has been closed.