Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    >Relax Ian, no Desert Silver C-classes ;-) Just >two black C320s this time.

Whaddya mean JUST two black C320s this time! ;-)
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    I have found that Obus makes the best support pillow for back support. All of the following sites are for these pillows, but they are presented differently.

http://www.comfortliving.com/obus.htm

http://www.sitincomfort.com/bacandsup.html

http://www.obusforme.com/products/lowback.htm. Look at their Driver Seat Series #20, 21, 50, 51 -- the others I think are massage.

I use for driving their BM01418 Black Obus Seat. It does not have a back but works great for me.

I use for my computer chair that is too deep the Black low-back BM01518. I have, but do not use the Black side-to-side BM02613. The colors are black, blue, Burgundy, grey, and the model nos change with the color.

These are specially engineered and work well.

Miki

• cticctic Posts: 291
    I betcha Drew can tell you where you can pick up 4 AMGs for cheap.

Drew, what's with all these C-crash pictures? From what you can see, are all luxury cars equally represented or are just C-class drivers particularly bad?
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    Just to follow up on a post a while back. My AM reception was almost non-existent and the dealer had to replace an amplifier to remedy the situation. If anyone else is suffering from the same problem it is a quick and easy fix. The reception is now MUCH better, in fact, it is better than the reception in my wife's E.

Regards to all,

JR

PS - my C got "popped" in the rear but not nearly as bad as those pics. It still hurt though, and the entire bumper had to be replaced. Found a great body shop, recommended by the dealer, and all is well again.
  • matthew23matthew23 Posts: 11
    The interesting thing about those photos, in the second one, although the front end is completely smushed and mangled, the windshield does not appear to even be cracked, and I can't see even an inch of penetration into the cockpit area. Speaks volumes for safety. And to answer ctic's question, I don't think these pix show that C-Class drivers are particularly bad -- only those C-Class drivers who own black ones.
  • Looking at buying the CLK320 Coupe. Have a couple questions hope someone can give insight to. The CD Player/ Phone Option - why is it $1800? I don't need another cell phone, but you can't get the CD Player without the cell phone. Was thinking of foregoing this option, and getting the CD player at a auto stereo place. Could do better than $1800.
    Any feedback from Coupe owners? Trying to decide if a year wait is worth waiting for the convertible. Drove the coupe and sure like it.
    Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...is a dealer-installed option. Dealers are notorious for trying to gouge you on this item, but there are competitors out there who are willing to sell the unit at a reasonable price.

So no, you don't have to buy a phone you don't need to get a CD player in this or any MB. And good luck finding a "stereo place" that will touch this car with a ten-foot pole...you can get all kinds of FM broadcast CD players for this or any car, but doing it right with the fiber connections is another matter. Beware.
    Looking at buying the CLK320 Coupe. Have a couple questions hope someone can give insight to. The CD Player/ Phone Option - why is it $1800?
    Ans: Because the dealer has 4 kids in college, a waterfront mansion, a luxury yatch, 4 cars, and vacations twice a year.

I don't need another cell phone, but you can't get the CD Player without the cell phone. Was thinking of foregoing this option, and getting the CD player at a auto stereo place. Could do better than $1800.
    Any feedback from Coupe owners?
    Ans: When I bought my C a few years back I refused to add the CD player for the same reason. I bought the OEM CD player from www.clairparts.com for a few hundred bucks and installed it with my friend in 5 minutes. I saved myself mucho bucks and my dealer had to make do with a trip to Aspen instead of the Alps.
    Oh yeah, my car came with fibre options also. It's just plug and play. There was some erroneous information from the dealer that you'd need to go to them to use their computer to initialize the software or something like that. But that was not need for my 99'C. You only need a screwdriver to install the CD player holder. The fibre option connections and power are just snap ins.

Worse come to worse, if you can't install it yourself, take it to the dealer and have them install it, or catch a technician on break and slip him $50 to do it, or get a outside MB shop to do it, or in the worse case scenario return it to clairparts minus the stocking fee. Feel lucky today?
  • jerry320jerry320 Posts: 27
    You can get a Mercedes original CD changer for 2001MY at autoclass.net for around $400, and bring it to your local dealer for installation. I paid $125 for installation(labor charge only); however, make sure you get the mounting kit and fiber cable when ordering the changer. There is also a Bekker unit that works with your new Mercedes, but the "Random" key will not function and it is harder to install.

I put 18" OZ wheel on my 2001 C320. 18x8/235-40-18 front and 18x9/245-40-18 back. Noticeable improvement in braking and cornering.
    In order to install cd changer into the glove box, all face panels need to be removed. The fiber cable is plug and play, but not many of us knows how to remove a/c control pads, radio unit, center wood trims, arm rest, trash bin, glove box unit, and put them back in accordingly afterwards. It took me two visits to my dealer for installation, and they also offer a one year warranty with it. Not a bad deal after all, and it was fun to watch when they disassembled the whole console.
    Yes, my C was a '99 and the CD changer was installed in the trunk. The new C CD changer is completely different!

Can't cheat the dealer out of this yatch payments and ski trips can we?
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• tariktarik Posts: 344
    What would life be like without the original "Edition C" key ring and the matching pen set featured here?
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    I can imagine the repair costs on these crash photo cars. Also, the less people crash with their MBs, the lower the loss statistics are for that particular car, and that means lower rates for every owner.

Why would they make the CD player so difficult to install? Even for the dealer, it has to be a pain...
  • nankynanky Posts: 75
    >>I put 18" OZ wheel on my 2001 C320. 18x8/235-40-18 front and 18x9/245-40-18 back. Noticeable improvement in braking and cornering.

Jerry, where did you buy your wheels and did you have any problems with the 18" tires rubbing against the insides of the fenders? I am considering 17" with AMG wheels for mine. Tirerack.com is the only placed I've shopped so far. Also, did you sell your stock rims and if so, how easy was it to do so?
  • fuzzofuzzo Posts: 88
    I noticed that there was discussion about Xenon lights? Has anyone added the xenon lights later on (aftermarket or through the dealer)
    The tires don't rub at all. You can use 18x8 for all four with 225/40/18 to be sure. However, wider tires will improve the looks. If you do get 18x8, you might consider lower it (especially the front) or use a spacer (for the back only). I am planning to get H/R springs because they provide a better ride than other brands, and lower the car by 1 inch only.

AMG wheels are actually manufactured by OZ. AMG puts a logo on it and marks up the price. You can get exclusive AMG 17" for C32 at autoclass.net, but they are very expensive. I brought my wheels directly from OZ, and tires from tire rack. You have to get someone to mount and balance them, and may need to bring it back to MB dealer for re-alignment. Most of my local dealers charge $79.95 for four wheels alignment. Try www.ozwheels.com, they will sell you wheels at very low prices, and no sales tax if you are outside of Florida.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...are not an item you add afterward, through the dealer or anyone else, unless you want to spend an enormous amount of money [well in excess of $1k would be a wild guess]. The xenons use different amperages and thus a completely different wiring harness from the halogens; parts and labor at the retail level would be prohibitive unless you have very deep pockets; it is not a case of swapping bulbs, but swapping electrical subsystems at a significant level of complexity.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Actually, it may not be as difficult as you think. For the M-class, for example, the ballast and ignitor is built into the Xenon headlamp itself. To switch, all you need to purchase is the Xenon headlamp assembly and a pair of wiring harness adaptors to switch the pin-outs. You don't even need the wiring harness adaptors if you're willing to swap the pin-outs yourself (all that is needed is a soldering iron and the proper specs).

Out come the entire halogen headlamp units, and in go the Xenon ones. You then need to bring in the vehicle to the dealership to get them to properly align the Xenons with an optical device. That's it! What you do lose compared to the factory option, are the headlamp washers, and the auto-leveling system. Cost is about $1200, not bad considering that the Xenons, from the factory, are $875, plus the fact that you need to order the $3500 M-class Sport package in order to get them (this is changed for MY2002 though, due to the new front bumper design).
    http://www.exconde.com/hidmod.htm

Xenon headlamp retrofits are also available for the E-class, which also has headlamps with the integrated ballasts and ignitors. I haven't seen the back of the HID Xenons on the C-class, so I have no idea if they're integrated like all of the other cars. However, I have a strong suspicion that they are like the rest of the MB lineup.

PUMA Access is the authorised Hella retailer that M-class owners are purchasing their headlamps from, so they probably have a lot more information on whether a swap is possible for the C-class, and if there are any other parts required. If I bought a C230K coupe, this would definitely be the first thing that I'd investigate since Xenons are not offered in N.America on that model.

Other vehicle manufacturers don't go to the expense of integrating the ballasts and ignitors into the headlamps, so you have to find a spot to drill and mount them + any special wiring from the ballasts/ignitors to the Xenon bulbs. This is a situation that I would definitely not want to be in.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
This discussion has been closed.