Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• valonvalon Posts: 22
    Hi all of you
    first i did see the new commercial tonight and is nice specially the babe in a white one heheh.
    Now I have huge dilemma as most of you know I did put a order for a new c 230 sport few weeks ago and total was $31400 including tax and all diler charges my car should be here in 6 weeks as of tonight, but tonight i received a call from dillership and they have one coming in 7 days with all my options that i requested c-2,c-4 bose system with changer manual but has heated sets too and they asking me extra $600 for the option ,what to do, wait and save or take the one that is arriving next week has the colors too that i want.
    any suggestions what to do ...
    thank you all
  • mmoskoitzmmoskoitz Posts: 10
    Way back in March 2001 I bought my Black C240 with memory seats and an automatic from West Chester Mercedes in Pennsylvania. The dealer gave me the heated seats/headlamp washer package for free if I would buy an in stock model, on the last day of the month without a sunroof. I would wait until the last day of the month before responding to their offer. The closer we come to war and the end of the month the more the sales manager will want to make the deal. And be sure to ask for a Mercedes baseball cap and some other nice accessory from Mercedes catalog like the $55 men's oxford shirt

http://www.thecollection.mbusa.com/Accessories/catalog/Product.jh- tml?PRODID=1379&CATID=321&clearAttribute=true

or a nice time piece like the Kompressor watch

http://www.thecollection.mbusa.com/Accessories/catalog/Product.jh- tml?PRODID=1532&CATID=329&clearAttribute=true

My dealership gave us a basball cap, a "New-C" t-shirt and a $100 gift certificate to an excellent restaurant.

Regards, Michael
  • TAKE THE ONE THAT IS COMING IN A WEEK!!!

Okay, now that I've got that out, the bun warmers are a pretty good option to have anyway. It's kinda nice to fill up as many of those switches on the dash as you can; otherwise you've got a couple of blank, dead buttons. Alright, maybe that's not a great reason, but $600, what's $600 bucks in the light of over $31,000!!! Plus, when you do sell the car many years from now, most people expect heated seats in any luxury car.

Okay, forget all that I've just said, I'm just impatient!:) And if that opportunity presented itself to me, I'd jump on it.

Good luck with your decision & if you do get it, please fill us in on your initial ownership experience.
  • wc68wc68 Posts: 23
    Buy it! The heated seats are worth it. If it has everything you want and then some get it. $600 is not much more. Let us know how you like it! My car should be here in a month!
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Posts: 103
    Its the best 600 quid you'll ever spend! So says my wife.
    Well people after thinking all night long went back too the diler today and... i agreed for the one with the heated seats, before i even told him that he offered me 200$ discount on the seats so it did work just fine,car is in baltimore dock so i should get the car next wed or fri, cause thur the guy is off. I will update when i drive out of dillership if is Friday don't expect me back in bord till Sunday night
  • ciracira Posts: 32
    This may have been discussed, but I am wondering if anyone has compared the 2.3L 2002 engine in the c230 to the 1.8L 2003 engine. I have not driven the 03 yet and am wondering what everyone's opinion is on the difference between the 2.3 and the 1.8 engines with an automatic transmission. Is the torque difference noticeable? Is the 1.8 less noisy and does it produce less vibration? Does anyone know if there have been any service bulletins on the 1.8? As a new engine, have any problems been identified? Those of you who have it, has the new technology given you any problems?
  • mmoskoitzmmoskoitz Posts: 10
    I would still hit the dealership up for some Mercedes goodies.

Regards, Michael
  • jeanne14jeanne14 Posts: 2
    Hello all you MB enthusiasts! I am waiting for my C320 to arrive in a couple of weeks and I recently read the review in Consumer Reports of this car. They really panned it for reliability (after recommending it last year!). Before I purchased I looked at the BMW 3 and it was far too cramped and from what I've heard, not very reliable also. If the C is not reliable I will lease instead of buy it. What experiences has everyone had? Would you buy this car again?
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    After two years and 44K miles our C320 continues to be reliable. Six problems were solved in 9 service visits (crooked steering wheel, slight drift to right, burned out bulbs, intermittent front passenger seatbelt failing to extend, noise in rear brakes, noise in motor [purge valve]). I saved the minor problems for the scheduled/FSS service. Yes, I would buy another C. This car drives great and is sufficiently luxurious.
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    16.5K and zero problems. We love it. Service is great which is great for the FSS vistits up to 50K--even a MB loaner is provided.

I don't think much of CR anymore. I saw the issue you read and the column for our '02 C320 was all red bubbles. But, they gave it black dot.

CR says the 5-series is the best car they've ever tested. Annual 5-series sales up to March for '03 were more that 11% lower than the prior year through March '02, and 3-series which are about half of the unit's sold for the mfg stalled 3 mos ago. The C's sales are still rising and the new E-class has got to be the finest sports sedan in its class, and its sales are rising too, so I think most consumers really don't pay CR much attention anymore.

Personally, I think the reporting by the various "powers" are influenced in some way by some non-public backroom relationships that still leaves them free to feel like they're not a complete bunch of liars when they pretend their opinions are strictly impartial.

Even the way supposedly impartial tests like the way the insurance institute runs cars into walls and poles can be interpreted in some interesting ways to get a funny result that it seems they want to arrive at.
  • jeanne14jeanne14 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input on this car. I agree with the CR analysis. This year's issue seems especially out of whack since there are hardly ANY cars that are reliable except the Lexus, Toyota lines. Happy motoring!
  • linardlinard Posts: 59
    I just drove the new 1.8 engine and found it wonderful. It was very smooth and refined and provided some excellent pick up even with three adults in the car. I found the engine noise near the redline much more bearable and even exciting versus the older 2.3, which was almost bucolic. The torque seemed very well distributed with no noticeable flat spots. The auto continues to impress with its smoothness and intuitiveness.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    We've got about 15k on my wife's C240. At around 5k miles, the CEL came on. We got it in the next day and they diagnosed it as a dead engine computer. They replaced the computer that day. No other problems since then. YMMV.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    What model year is your C240? Do you know its manufacture month/year [should be on the tag attached to the driver's door jamb]?

Ours is an '02 model that was made in Bremen in January '02; we took delivery [new] in Sept of '02, and now have about 3500 miles on it. The only real problem that has developed so far was a leak in the differential, which was diagnosed as a plugged vent tube. (It was delivered with a wheel alignment problem [drifting to the right], but we knew about that at delivery and it was remedied within the first couple of weeks.)
  • hansenhansen Posts: 18
    I love reading about cars and consider myself a car buff, but I am becoming more and more confused about who these magazines get to evaluate cars.

Consumer report is the perfect example. The C class was given a wonderful review, but then they started complaining about the "overly complicated controls." Give me a break-If you have the means to buy the car, you probably have the intelligence to figure it out fairly quickly. The reliability is another issue. The little dots do not correspond at all to what they are saying about the car's reliability. I own both a C320 and an ML320 and, based on Consumer Reports,you'd think they would have both erupted into flames within moments after driving off the dealer's lot. The majority of owners that I have encountered like the cars and have had no serious problems at all.

My other issue is that these magazines forget why we buy cars. After the first mile, you really don't need to feel every bump in the road. A slightly cushioned ride is probably a really good idea if you plan to drive from LA to San Francisco. I would also assume most people don't drive slalom-type roads to get to work.

Mercedes seems to "get it" and knows what the consumer wants. That's why they can sell cars so well even in a bad economy.
  • ahostahost Posts: 36
    We had a 01 C320. It had so many problems that we threatened MB with a lemon lawsuit. They agreed to trade it in for a 03 C320, in a reasonable, though not great, deal. Our '03 C320 has been much more reliable, although not 100% problem free. The driver's seat squeeaked, but it evetually disappeared by itself. Right now we have a rattle somewhere in the front left, but we have not been able to pinpoint it exactly. Acceptable I would say. We would probably buy again, but not a first year model, and without the (maybe unrealistic) expectation of a perfect car.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Posts: 103
    ahost,

Could you tell me what you did and the deal you got. I have a 2001 320 delivered in Nov 2000 that has been in 24 times since new. email me at robtroxel@earthlink.net if you have a moment.

thanks!
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Ours is a 2002. IIRC, we took delivery around October 1, 2001, so build date would have been around August 2001, I suspect.

One of the things that may have helped us is that our C240 has relatively few options. We don't have the memory seats so we missed out on the whole key/seat/memory snafu that took MB a while to figure out. We also don't have a sunroof nor Command.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    I would have loved to get a car without the sunroof - but we were taking advantage of the year-end dealer incentives [we got the car for $30,000; MSRP was $34,500], so were limited with colors and options. That said, ours was relatively simple - only the C2 package and automatic - so we too have avoided a lot of the electronic gremlins that have plagued so many owners of the early cars.

We had originally ordered a no-roof custom build in early '00, and would have taken delivery of one of the first W203 cars built for the US. We cancelled that order, in retrospect a good decision. We wound up paying less some two years later, for a car with at least 18 months more of factory experience before it was built.
  • Am off to test drive C230K/6 speed tomorrow...will post impressions soon!

rich
  • patpat Posts: 10,421

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for another
    round of automotive trivia and member-to-member chat.
    Test your skills (or multiple choice guessing ability)
    against other Town Hall members.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

Hope to see you there!
    today my car got here and diler call to let me know, went there to check the car and finalize paper work i was hopping to drive out of the diler sometime friday but i don't think is happing cause i did my own financing (even the guy from f&i wanted me to use there financial institution) better rate, now I have to wait till they have the founds in before they can realise the car. I did test drive the car and i have no complains yet, in the end i like everyone to know that total for the car i payed was $250 over invoice price plus tax .
    car has c2,c4 heated seats and cd
    i will post my first impressions as a owner after i drive from the diler
  • wc68wc68 Posts: 23
    Did you have to pay an advertising fee? I ordered my C230 Sport Sedan for $500 over invoice but there is an advertising fee of $400 which I think is pure profit to the dealer. Congrats on the new car!!!
  • jdisanjdisan Posts: 28
    Hey all, thought this would be helpful about how to decode your VIN for those of us who ordered or will be ordering cars.

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
    For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
    BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
    Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
    1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
    as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

-----
  • Rich,
    Good to hear that you test drove the vehicle this morning. Can't wait to hear your impressions! I'll be checking the board tonight.

Valon,
    That is one incredible price you got on your car. I was only able to get $1000 off MSRP; which is still about $1200 over invoice; and even that was a hard deal to pull off. Great haggling and keep us informed of your initial ownership experience.

jdisan,
    Great post about the VIN. I checked it with mine and was able to determine that it was definitely built in Germany. . .cool stuff; thanks for the info.
  • gnoprasgnopras Posts: 1
    Can somebody help me find cd changer for 99 C280
    no i didn't have too pay for advertising fee,but i ordered the car in feb so maybe was still new model and diler wanted to start selling them, i know for a fact that few weeks ago someone ordered the same car and got hard time to even get few $$ less than msrp, car is hot buy now and dilers around are aware of that
  • jdisanjdisan Posts: 28
    ...i was able to get about $600 over invoice. But it was not easy.
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    Alpine makes cd charger for your car. You might find it at regular car stereo stores.
This discussion has been closed.