Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    Maybe you have to go for the 320 sedan to get the interior you really want ... to me, it has the same look, feel and quality as 430/500 MLs, Es &etc. (also, compare Cs with full leather instead of leather inserts). In the sedan models, the 320's interior has just a few subtle differences that contribute to a finer result over the 240's interior.

I think the Lexus layout is aimed at younger drivers; maybe the coupe is too, compared to the sedan. I would think $4k off the cheaper coupe would be good; we bargained for $3.5k off on the 320 sedan in '02 and thought we worked a pretty good deal at that time.

After our experiences with the 320 engine, and knowing the least expensive C-coupe has the same underlying structures and electronics, I'd have to agree that the base price model seems like a great value: I'd get white anyway and that saves $600 (and, enjoys a higher resale down the road).

As far as the engine goes, the 320 powertrain has achieved bullet-proof status--at least in my view. It has been the major powerplant for MLs from the beginning, up to the latest midyear change to the 3.7L version in the ML350 (compared to the 1K pound heavier 320-equiped ML vehicle that still can tow 5K pounds, the 320 in a C is an opulence). The 320 still powers most Es, including the latest which probably is the finest auto on the road today with $3B spent on its making--it's just a little heavier than the C-class, but not by much. I've seen some old style S320's too (apparently were brought in by purchasers outside the US).
  • beejay9beejay9 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Does anyone know of a MB dealer that sells and installs the MB cellular phone aftermarket for a discounted price? Also, I would greatly appreciate if current owners of the MB cellular phone would share there experience as far as quality of use. Thanks.
  • saabbersaabber Posts: 84
    Can anybody give me a breakdown of gas mileage for the C320 with and without the A/C running? Also city/highway (70 mph)?

I am getting around 16 city/23 highway with the A/C running. When I turned the A/C off, it seemed that the numbers jumped about 3 mpg. Is that about right?
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    My C320 gets 25.7 mpg overall (mixture city and freeway). Around town it averages about 19 mpg and on the highway and 31 mpg at about 65 mph. Don't know about with or without A/C because I leave it on automatic constantly.
  • lanche72lanche72 Posts: 9
    I have a 01 c320 and have noticed a ticking noise (VERY RAPID) coming from the engine. It does not happen all the time to I don't think that is something wrong in the engine but don't really know. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you get rid of it.
    I have 16k and my wife never drives it hard.

Thanks Matt
    Could be the purge valve. There's a tech bulletin on replacing the purge valve mounting bracket for the noise.
  • nankynanky Posts: 75
    I agree with mleskovar . Sounds like a classic symptom of the fuel purge valve. I heard the same noise intermittently especially during very quiet times of the day with the radio off. The noise went away once the purge valve was retrofitted almost two years ago.
  • richjenkinsrichjenkins Posts: 55
    Hi - does anyone know either:

1) the last date by which one can order a 2003 MB
    2) whether the 6 speed will be available in 2004 C320?

thanks...rich
    Probably any that arrive in the US after about the end of July will be '04s
  • goodwingoodwin Posts: 24
    my friend has a 2002 mercedes c240 and under the drivers side floor mat there seems to be a wet spot all the time that never dries up. any help on this would be great.

thanks.
    1. Take it to the dealer for warranty service 2. Is it water or oil/brakefluid? 3. Is the A/C venting the water under the car?
  • iblostboyiblostboy Posts: 2
    Hi Guys, i'm a new owner of a 2003 C320 great car but i have two quick questions - How do you turn on the FOG LIGHTS! - and when you guys drive at night do you turn the head lights on by switching the head light switch to "auto" or do you use manual.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Well, in the case of the foglights, you turn the switch to the headlight "on" position, and pull it out one click to turn on the front fogs, and two clicks to turn on both the front and rear fogs.

You can also use the fogs with the switch in the parking light position [one to the right of "Auto"] - same thing as noted above.
    Before DTRLs, I often used the fogs in combination with the parking lights only as highway running lights [we've owned MBs since 1968; standard fogs have been there for most of the past 25 years]. MB fogs have never had the mis-aimed, overly bright characteristics that make them so annoying on many SUVs and too many older BMWs. They've always had a sharp cutoff at knee-level that helps a lot where lights are needed, but do not generally shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers as long as they are aimed properly.

As for the "Auto" switch, in 8 months of ownership I've been back and forth - if you do a lot of driving in marginal light conditions, it might be useful, and I like to use it occasionally just to make sure it works, but it's not a big deal. [I have programmed the DTRL feature to be "on", so we are showing some light forward whenever the engine is running, though the DTRLs of course are too dim to do any serious lighting to see where you're going.]
  • valonvalon Posts: 22
    i just wanted to update everyone with my new mb c230 sedan so far i hit 3500 miles and car is running great no problems BUT i do have a minor problem wit my lights (xenon) my right one is not working properly sometimes i have to switch them on/off to work, when the first time happened i went to diler but they told me that this is not a problem happens to all xenon lights and they cant do anything about that, same thing happen again this past weekend and i scheduled a service for today and got the loner (ML 320). Like to know if anyone else has the same problem or its just me and my luck.
      thanks all
  • deepdropdeepdrop Posts: 89
    Hi everyone,
     We have a "98 E320 wagon which we love and it still has 1 1/2 years of starmark warranty left on it. However, the C230 sports coupe is really nice and gets better mileage too. We could pretty much sell the E wagon and buy the C coupe as an even swap. I'm not sure the hatchback is big enough for us though. They always seem to have lots of room at the dealership, but we have a baby and a dog, so there would be a car seat, stroller, etc. Has anyone with a family used the C230 sports coupe and has it been big enough?
     The dealer offered us a pretty good price. It's an "03, black, C7 and C5, heated seats, and CD changer for 26,665. I would imagine that since this was his starting offer, he would probably go a little lower even. I calculated MSRP at 30,220 and Invoice at 28,157.
     If it were large enough to work for us, we'd end up with a much newer, but smaller car without spending anything. Any idea which would be worth more 4-5 years down the line, the "98 E320 wagon or a "03 C sports coupe? I"m guessing the wagon has pretty much done it's depreciating and so would probably be worth more even in 5 years.
     Sorry for all the rambling but I'm having a tough time deciding on this and would really appreciate anyone's thoughts.
    According to Edmunds, the dealer would give you less than $20K on the wagon in our area, so there's an additional $6k to apply to a new MB, whatever model you like: that sounds good. And, next year's wagon will have the new E-Class frame: that might effect the value of older wagons.
  • richjenkinsrichjenkins Posts: 55
    Hello all, board seems to be a bit moribund lately, hm, everyone must be out driving their cars. Perhaps can liven up the discussion:

I've been out on travel last two weeks, but have come back to (finally) test drive the new C.

Impressions follow...

Cars driven were an '03 C230K sedan, 6 speed manual, in black/charcoal interior, and a C320, Silver, auto, with sports "package". Car had no options (at all) on it. The day was sunny and hot (89F); test drive was taken just before lunch.

The comparisons below are with our own '99 C280 auto, with 44K miles...

My impression of acceleration between the manual C230 and auto C320 was very close. In relative terms, I found the delay in kickdown and poor throttle response in the C320 was not compensated by the increased torque of the larger engine. I'm sorry, but it just did not (to me) feel especially quicker than my current C280. Indeed, it had that exact same slightly annoying habit, when overtaking slower traffic, of waiting, and waiting, and waiting, until gear/throttle/torque took off and there was enough oomph to get past. Honestly, even given it was a hot day and therefore power might be considered to be off there just was not the "grunt" I was expecting. In particular the "touch shift" was very dissapointing; there did not seem to be any real point to me in providing this feature as all it did was hold gear (much like the J-gate in our current C).

Quite the opposite was true with the manual C230K. With the 6 speed, I was having a lot more fun, it seemed to me the throttle and gear combinations were much easier to match road speed and acceleration than with the autobox.

On to handling, braking and roadholding, the C230K seemed to be much "lighter" on its feet, braking on both was outstanding, but I detected more understeer with the V-6 on a long sweeping right hander (perhaps, indeed the weight difference in the V6 vs the S-4.)

I have to say the ride quality on both of these sport models was superb, I did not detect any real harshness from the (225/45?) 17" wheels and tyres now fitted vs. my car's 15" rubber.

(At the end of the test drive, I ended up actually liking the appearance of the seven spoke wheels; perhaps they are growing on me.)

Interior of C320 was much posher than stripper C230K, and we (well, The Boss) really liked the power sunshade in the rear, that looked Very Useful here in Fla.

Came away extremely impressed by 6 speed C230K, could not (for me) see the difference in price being worth going for the C320 frankly, but it is a VERY NICE car. Would have enjoyed driving a C320 6 speed but, it not being a common car, was not available on the lot. Actually I am not certain it would (in practical, day to day terms) really be "that" much quicker than the I-4 engine, and might not be quite as agile...

So, am leaning towards a Brilliant Silver C230K, C2, C4, Bose, CD Changer, Heated Seats. Anyone car to comment on this spec? Am curious about the HID lights, if reputation is correct folks swear by them, am just wondering if they are worth the 750 list price.

I did not find out what '04 plans are, my salesman was swamped, it being a Sat morning etc. Despite looking I've not seen anything on the net with any detailed info, however I've compiled my own '04 "list" below from some recent searches.

Good Luck all, enjoy your cars!

Rich

Rich's '04 Change List
    ======================

New instrument cluster
    Console redesigned for the new Command System
    Improved seats
    Wheel pressure monitoring
    New wipers
    Rainsensor which closes the sunroof automatically
    Installation of the Universal Handy Interface (Phone)
    Slightly restyled bumpers
    Sirius Sat Radio
    Single-slot CD as standard
    Different wheels available
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Has anything on that 04' change list been actually verified?

M
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Rich,

Just curious, what's your reason for getting a new MB - is your '99 worn out, or are you tiring of it? Just curious as I have a 2000 C230 and am planning to keep it at least through its 8-year extended warranty & am wondering about your longer-term experience.

As far as the new 230s and 320s go, I think they look really sharp. My only recent experience has been with a C240 as a loaner car last year. It was good as a sedan, but since my C230 has the Kompressor and sport option package it was a more docile animal. I was glad to get my car back after service, although if I had to drive a C240, I could make the adjustment.

Glad to see the board come back to life.

- Paul
  • Merc1 - Some verified, some wish list:)

Here's the sources:

Instrument cluster/Console/Seats - Translated from German from site:
    o http://www.jes-mercedes.de/indexie.htm

Wheel pressure control/wipers/rain sensing sunroof - comment from forum
    o http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3- 7423&highlight=2004

Installation of the Universal Handy Interface (Phone
    o http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/030313/051939.html

Bumpers
    o http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 23282.htm

Sirius Sat Radio
    o http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030416/nyw101_1.html

The in-dash CD and wheels are a "wish"; although I did rent a C180K in the UK in Feb that had both an in-dash CD radio and CD changer in the glovebox...
  • Paul...Thanks for asking.

Originally I would have liked to order a manual transmission '99 C class - At the time I was replacing a '92 Honda Accord EX 5 speed with 98K miles -- which replaced a '88 Honda Accord LX 5 speed with 106K miles -- which replaced -- well, you get the idea.

I fell for the rock-solid feel and driving experience of the C. I picked the C280 as it represented better combination of smooth ride and features/value for money. C230K was a hard pick because of similar power for less money. I guess it was down to the V-6 smoothness. Still, at the time, I really wanted to have a manual.

Last year (I believe it was) the C240 was available as a 6 speed. I test drove one of these cars but it did not excite - perhaps with less power than my C280 it was not a move forward. Although I did really like the new style, as well as new features (autodimming lights, rain sensor etc.)

This January I noted that, in addition to the new Sport Models, the C came with new K 1.8L engine. I had been trying to test drive this for some time, but travel at work always seemed to get in the way.

Rationale for replacing current C pretty much boils down to getting back to a manual transmission. I guess this is unusual in the States (not sure what percentage MBs are standard but it must be pretty low) but at the end of the day I do get a lot of driving pleasure from the a stick shift car (My '67 Austin Mini Cooper S is great -- just no air conditioning:) All the other things that come with the new C are a real bonus: rack/pinion steering, lights, styling, two wipers, etc etc.

Plus the C230K is "less" than a C320 i.e. my depreciation will be less with this car (realising that I am paying "again" for a car 5 years later).

Finally, and possibly as a side reason for replacing, we chose not to get the extended warranty for our current C. I had reason to regret this this past week when the A/C failed and its scheduled to go into to the dealer for $1600 worth of repair/replacement for compressor, dryer, lines, labour, etc. You do have this happen to you but it is a sobering amount to see on a repair order I can tell you. Frankly overall I think the repair costs/maintanance has been average in my view. Much more than the Hondas, of course (which were, albeit a bit bland, quite trouble free.) Mind you I am not complaining, my dealership offers free MB loaners for service and have taken very good care of me since '99; could not fault the service. I would plan to get the 7/100 extended warranty on the new C230K, for sure.

The driving of the car still hooks me though; like its hewn out of solid metal. Best cars in the world, IMHO.

Good Luck with your C....rich
    Thanks, Rich. I appreciate your view and detailed comments.

Sorry to hear about the A/C. I miss a standard as well, but get that (albeit vicariously) in my Toyota truck. Come to think of it, it does seem strange to be driving an MB "Sport" model with an automatic. But there were 8 of them on the dealer's lot, so I never questioned any alternative. Also I don't think MB offered a standard in the (US) C230 in '00.

Happy hunting and best of luck!

- Paul
  • ...and to you. I like the sound of your Truck, if I had a lot of money I'd buy an old Land Rover myself, you know, the kind you hose out after carrying the cow manure:) I really liked the C230K, the Kompressor engine made a lot of sense to me. And the car is as solid as a rock.

Will see what I can find out from my dealership about the '04 C changes over the next couple days...cheers...rich
  • Now if you had just listened to me a few months ago, you would already be cruisin' around in your new C230 sport sedan!!:)

On the serious side, I was glad to hear that your impressions of the car were so positive. Back in January, I test drove the C320 auto and the C230 manual back to back and came away with the same feelings. No doubt that the C320 is a great car, but the C230 with the 6 speed was soooo engaging and entertaining to drive. I have got to say that after two months of ownership and 2500 miles, I still smile the same way every time I walk out and see my Benz and especially when I drive it. Not a single problem to report. The only negative that I can come up with is that a rear facing car seat makes you have to pull up the passenger seat closer to the dash than I would like. . .but we do must of the "baby traveling" in my wife's new Element.

I hope you end up purchasing your car soon; the set up that you would like sounds pretty awesome. My car was only equipped with the C2 package, heated seats, Bose & 6 disc changer; and honestly, I don't feel as though I miss anything. I will say that the HID Xenons are nice to drive with, but the cost to replace them just seemed too high for my blood, but that is just my personal opinion.

Lastly, I'm glad to see that those "young and hip" (or did you say "aimed at the younger market") 17inchers are growing on you; because, they sure do complete the car and really separate it from the other C-Class models. If you do decide to purchase, keep us informed of your ownership experiences and I will let you know if there is any news to report on my new Benz.

Happy shopping!
    Tony

PS My latest Motor Trend magazine came in yesterday and they did a comparo with the C230 Sport Sedan 6 speed, new Acura TSX 6 speed and the newly redesigned Saab 9-3 6 speed. . .and of course, the C230 was the CLEAR winner!!!:)
  • ROTFL...yeah, yeah I know:)...younger set...Wife says it must be that time of life thing...

Will let you know how it goes...cu...rj
  • krb5krb5 Posts: 1
    News Industry know-it-alls see revised cosmetics and a few new features for the 2004 C-Class. A full redesign is reportedly on for 2006. By that time, though, Mercedes should be selling a smaller car called A-Class, which has been available in Europe for several years but never officially imported here. We'll be getting a redesigned A-Class, though it's expected to be another high-profile "one-box" 4-dr hatchback with small 4-cyl engines driving the front wheels. It should also retain a unique bi-level floorpan sandwiching exhaust system and other underbody components. Length and width should again approximate Ford Focus dimensions, but may grow a couple of inches.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 23282.htm#incentive
    I drove an A160 in London in 2001 - a really fun, small, solid vehicle to drive. Strange to be shifting with my left hand, though. I thought it was neat that the manual automatic climate control (non-digital) had temperature indicators on the thumbwheel, as did MBs of the 1970s and 1980s. My '00 C230 has no numbers - only blue, white, and red gradients.

- P.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Mercedes is making a grave mistake by importing any variant of the A-Class here.

M
  • smwls8smwls8 Posts: 103
    I have a 1997 C-230 with 70K on the odometer. This is the first Benz I have ever owned and has been a decent car, except for transmission whine. I thought this was customary for this car (rear wheel drive and all) but I just returned from europe where I rode in a C-class with 298,000 km, it was quiet as a mouse compared to my car. At the 60,000 mile service I requested the transmission be serviced. When I went to pick the car up the service writer says the transmission has synthetic fluid god for the life of the transmission. Checked with local independent (Bosch) shop and he concurred. It is not terribly loud but noticable. Any suggestions? Ignore and turn up radio?
    Are you sure it's the transmission and not the rear end/differential? The rear end can make a whining noise but it should not and is repairable. Does the whine rise and fall with engine RPM? MB auto transmissions are quiet.
This discussion has been closed.