Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• The best way I can describe it is it sounds like it's coming from right behind the ignition key and it has a consistent rythmic pattern.
  • I'm amazed-the review by Edmund's on the c 230 sedan almost implies that it may be a worthy opponent of a BMW!! I guess times change....
  • Thanks for the info. Your description matches the noise exactly. I'm scheduled to have it fixed on Monday. Hopefully, it's no big deal.
  • I love to work on cars and can not find a service manual for my C230. I need to replace the rear O2 sensor and need the manual to show me where it is and what the PN is. Any sources anyond knows of?

Thanks
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    The part numbers in many service manuals are out of date, so the best and easiest way to obtain a part number is to call or visit the parts department at a dealer.

The seat leather / vinyl discussion brings out two issues. First, my suggestion is to go with the cloth. It is never hot like leather. Second, we were fortunate to buy a 2002 C230 with cloth seats and the color we liked a few months ago for well under invoice price. However, it is difficult for me to immagine buying any other M-B car, as the prices are far too high. Once the diesel E320 is available, the fuel savings and long life may justify the price, but it seems to be that the best way to buy an M-B is to purchase a low mileage used one.
  • tekmbztekmbz Posts: 1
    Did the dealer get rid of ticking noise yet? I have a brand new 2004 C320 with 600 miles on it and I started to have the same problem just after 2 weeks of delivery. Took it to the dealer and was told it was the fuel purge valve and to just drive the car for little while and the noise will go away. If not, they will replace the valve. I want to know if there is really a fix to the problem. Thanks.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Our 2002 C240 has leather inserts. I can't tell the difference between the leather and the vinyl. We thought about getting full leather when we ordered our car. Our salesman said it would be a waste of money. I agree with him. The vinyl is just fine.
  • limanliman Posts: 32
    is a personal choice. My 2000 C230K has full leather, and to me it was well worth the cost. Door coverings are nicer, seat backs as well. Really dresses up the interior. On the other hand I would not pay extra for an exterior paint color. Again, personal choice.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    There is a bigger difference between the pre2001 with and without leather than the 2001+ models. The seats were completely different on the older cars. The only observable difference now is the door panels
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Someone posted they purchased 3 years/50K of additional repair coverage past the factory warranty expiration for $1690.

Is the extended warranty coverage exactly the same as the original factory warranty (all items that were covered duing the first 4 years/50K miles) and is it zero deductible?
    I remember test driving a C230 hatchback a couple years ago and being very unimpressed with the sound quality of the Bose radio. I thought, if this is how the Bose system sounds, the stock radio must be really poor!
    Is there a significant improvement in sound quality between the stock stereo and the Bose stereo on the new C230 and C240 sedans?
    Does the Bose compare well with systems like the optional Harmon Karmon stereo from a BMW 3 series or stereos available in the Lexus ES330?
    I'm going to decide whether it's worth paying for the Bose upgrade or just keeping the standard radio and perhaps replacing the stock speakers with high-quality aftermarket speakers and adding an amplifier.
    I know there is maintenance included for the first 50K miles, but what can you expect regular scheduled service visits to cost between 50K and 100K miles?
  • I own a 2001 C320 with 52k miles, mostly highway.
    It has always allowed me to go 10-12k miles before calling me in for a scheduled change, and never would be down oil between visits.
    However, since around 46kmiles, it is calling for a quart every 1k miles.
    The techs checked out the car and said everything is ok, that adding a quart every 1k of highway miles is acceptible for this car.
    It still has plenty of power and my gas milage is great. I don't notice any leaks, and no smoke from the exhaust.
    Anyone with more info dealing with this problem?
    The car is off warranty now, but the complaint was filed before the 50k expired and was told should any problems develop concerning this MB would cover it.
    Thanks for any help.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    "a quart every 1k miles" is way too much usage but probably within manufacturer's specs. All the auto makers have VERY liberal oil usage guidelines....it's to their advantage. I also have 52K miles on an '01 C320 and it has never needed any oil between changes. The suddeness of your problem makes it sound like something broke. Even though you can't see smoke or drips it has to be going somewhere. Try pulling the plugs to see if any are oil fouled as a start.
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    There's a problem. A normally cared for engine cannot be burning that oil. I cannot believe a tech would say that is within spec either.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Per the British press, the 2005 C-Class will be launched in Europe in Feb 2004. The interesting thing is that they're reporting that the C32 will not be dropped as originally thought. The C32 will be sold along side the new V8 C55 (360hp+) model. The new C-Class should finally get a standard in dash CD player, upgraded interior materials, tweaked front/rear ends and for the C55 AMG model a special front end similar to the CLK that might have a grille mounted star instead of a hood mounted one. The article didn't say when the facelifted C will go on sale here.

M
    Interesting. Maybe it will be here by fall next year. Since they are facelifting it next year, I wonder how long it will be before a completely all-new design C-Class comes out? The prices are so great right now especially after dealer discounting, so I hope these new features don't change that much. I suppose discounting will be reduced when the "new" C class comes out, but hopefully it will resume again within a few months.
    It's good that an in-dash CD is coming. However, one advantage to the cassette is that you can use a cassette adapter to connect an MP3 player.
    An AUX input jack would be a better solution, but 99% of cars do not offer any audio inputs on factory radios.
    Factory XM radio would be another nice feature, if that comes. If it had XM radio, I wouldn't worry about CD changers and MP3 players.
  • dunworthdunworth Posts: 338
    One quart for 1000 miles is within spec for most cars but is considered high usage. I remember when the mid 1980s E-class came out M-B techies talked about the engine's design which seemed to use a lot more oil than most engines. My neighbour's S Class uses a lot of oil as well with no obvious leaks. The car runs flawlessly otherwise and he has not had any reliability issues. Many smaller Toyotas like the old Tercels use a lot of oil as well.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,663
    The New C is scheduled for release as an '06 model. It will be the first production car to utilize "everythig by wire" technology including throttle, brakes, and a host of other features.