Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• In response to prior questions and comments, I live in Los Angeles, and there are numerous E 320 4 year lease retruns available. I see them listed for sale for around $34k to $39k (depending mostly on whether its a dealer or a private party). I was gussing I could pick up a good low mile E320 for around $33k to $35k. Do you think I could get one for less? How much below asking price are dealers selling these cars for?

As for needing the room, I have two kids, and have one of them in the car most of the time on the weekends. My car, however, is used mostly for commuting. Therefore, I don't "need" more room, but it is always nice to have.

As for my Lexus being "driven into the ground" at 150,000 miles, I think I could get 50,000 more miles out of it fairly easily. But the car is paid off and it's time for a new one. Alright . . .I admit ...it's time for a new toy.

Personally, I am partial to the used E320. I think it's the best looking car out there. However, I'm worried that it will have greater repair costs over a 10 year period because you are not gettoing the first 4 years of use. Stated differently, my heart says get the E320, but my head says, get the C240

Again, thanks for your replies.
  • I, too, am in that situation.
    I'm in the process of downsizing my garage. The wife keeps her mini-van. Why she loves it, I'll never know. But you can't beat if for size while throwing the kids and gear into for the ride up to Lake Tahoe!
    I will replace my 1991 Porsche 928 GT w/31K miles and my 1987 MB 300D (6 cylinder turbo diesel)with 230k miles. I shuttle the kids around town, so I need a four door. The decision was either a used 320/420 or a new C240. Their price was comparable. I opted for the new C240. I took the hit on space to get a new car with a 6 speed. They're building it next week and it's due in next month.
    I hope I made the right decision. I'll know about a day after I take delivery.

Good Luck!!

John W.
  • I noticed from this board that most of those who post here order their cars. (e.g. John W. is waiting for delivery of his C240). Why is that? It seems that in the Los Angeles/Orange County area you can find almost any color/option combination. Do you order because the exact color/options are not available on the cars on the lot? Or is there some other advantage?
  • How much did you pay?
  • I had a chance to rent an E class this past summer on our family vacation to Germany. It was a 2001 E220 CDI (Direct Injection Diesel)6 Speed. Yes, a 6 speed. It was silver with black cloth. We put almost 1,000 miles on it in 10 days. The 6 speed was sweet. No fuss, no muss. I have had a 1987 300D (6 cylinder Turbo diesel) for the last 10 years and the CDI was such an improvement in diesel technology, it was addicting. I wish it was available over here.
    At any rate, the E class wasn't too small to be uncomfortable for the four of us (wife + 13 year old daughter + 10 year old son)on the trip with all our luggage. And there was a ton of luggage. So, I figured for everyday use, me plus 1 or 2 kids, that the C would suffice. Plus, I NEEDED that 6 speed.
    I had to order my C240, since there wasn't one they could find with the options and color I wanted: Orion Blue, C2, C3, C4, Bose and sport package.
    I ordered the car before the events of last week. I mention that, because apparently, there are now good deals to be had. I live in the SF bay area. The dealers I talked to in the extended area (about 6) were all unwilling to deal on an ordered car. I reminded them how their cost of sale on this car would be effectively zero, but they wouldn't budge. I knew the environment was more buyer friendly down in Los Angeles. So I went through a car broker up here who has a relationship with an L.A. MB dealer. They charged me $1k over invoice, which seemed like a good deal at the time. But like I said, things maybe different now.

Hope that helps (sorry for the rambling length)

Good Luck,
    John W.
  • I have to say that I ordered a MBC240 with lots of options back in February then cancelled it in May...Buyer's Remorse I suppose...Anyway - My point is...I am wondering if I made the right decision, but not for my reason.
    Posts are all over the place of random problems...most with Keys randomly not working and not having successful repairs. Not to mention Sunroof repairs, cars going dead all of the sudden.. Are these cars really Mercedes-Benzes? I view other posts, looking at the VW Passat, and dont see a fraction of the problems there or most other cars online here at TownHall? What is going on? If I paid 35k for a MB & I had those problems, I would have no faith in my car & the whole new car experience would be lost on me...& that should not be the case with a Benz?
    What are your thoughts on this??
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    i have a 240... 23,000 miles virtually no problems... i know theres others like me... this board is a lightning rod for those that are having problems... but there are many that just never come... because they are problem free
  • I just bought my first Benz today...a new 2002 C240, Bordeaux Red Metallic, loaded and I am so excited. I will get it next week. Dealer is doing a trade to get my color/option preference. I pad 3% over INVOICE, plus destination charge. I felt like this was a pretty good deal. Most around here (Atlanta, Ga) don't want to take below MSRP. I had to walk out the first time, but they called me back 2 days later and said they were willing to talk. Asked me for 4%, but I stood my ground and they finally accepted. Can't wait to drive it!
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    Not to defend the too-many-problems that have surfaced with the introduction of the W203 C, but I have to beg to differ on your interpretation of the relative reliability of any VW...huh? All of the data available to me, including the various boards here on the Passat and other VWs, suggest you need to rethink this issue. Not to mention the thoroughly miserable time a lot of VW owners are having trying to get decent, competent dealer service when something does go wrong.

None of these guys builds them like the Japanese, and none of them are building them to the level that I used to expect...but no VW would tempt me to skip an MB based on the expectation of superior reliability. Not likely...
  • I posted to this group because I am considering purchasing a Benz to replace my Lexus. Frankly, I too had noticed numerous posts dealing with problems in the new C class. As a Lexus owner, I
    was somewhat concerned with these posts because my Lexus has never had any problem with anything breaking other than the air conditioner needing $1,000 in repairs after it went out (at 145,000 miles). In fact, I know numerous Lexus owners, and I have never heard of any of them having any problem with their car before 1000,000 miles.

However, I also know numerous Mercedes owners. All of them tell me a similar story: If you maintain this car, you will get at least 200,000 miles out of it. However, what attracts me to the Mercedes is that the cars look great when they have lots of miles on them. In fact, they look better than a Lexus when they have high miles. I have had numerous occassions when I now pull up to a read light and a 10 to 15 year old Mercedes piulls up next to me, and I''ll think to myself, "That's a damn good looking car." My next door neighbors have a circa 1990 MBZ 420 SEL and a circa 1985 MBZ 190. Both cars look great.

At bottom, while I expect that a Mercedes will cost more to maintain than a Lexus, I'm willing to sacrafice it for styling.
  • If you want to find a message board dealing with cars having problems, try the Porsche 928 site that I've been participating in for the last 6 years (I owned 2). I know they're not new cars, but the problems aren't covered by warranty, either. But, the people bitched, fixed the problems and got back to driving and enjoying their cars. In that case, the rewards of driving a 928 far outweighed the problems.
    VW's record is not something to win J.D. Powers' award, and I'm a VW fan. About a year ago, I steered my sister away from considering a new Honda Civic to a new Jetta. During the process, I showed her the Town Hall Jetta sight so she could read the various messages. Big Mistake. So I had her drive both cars. She's not a car person, but immediately fell for the Jetta, even with it's less than glorious reliability discussed on the T.H. site.

I guess it all depends on what your priorities are. No car gets a 10 in all categories, regardless of the magazine reviews.

Of course, after saying all that, I'll probably be in Lemon Law litigation with my C240, 6 months after it arrives ;-)

John W.
  • My point is not that VW Passat is more reliable...but that simple fact is there are too many problems showing up for a car that costs this much no?

Those that say this board is a lightning rod for such posts, need to go check the VW Passat site and numerous others that don't have as many.

Just as Zmeenows post says that others are problem free, that is indeed true, I don't doubt that...but I do wonder about a new car going dead while driving or keys not working all of the sudden...that is a *Very Serious* problem that DOES NOT usually occur on a repetitive basis with other cars....
  • I just picked up my new c230 on Saturday. Sorry about the post here, but you people are much more active than those on the c230 board. I love the car so far, but the break-in period is really annoying. JW: it's a 6-speed Orion. If you're interested, I have a link to my Photopoint account in the "c230 vs. rsx" TH forum in the hatchbacks section. It might help a little with the wait - the color is absolutely beautiful - light plays with it really well. Good choice!

Anyway, when playing cds, is there a way to keep the display so that you can see the timing of the current track as well as the #? I know that you can hit "up" and the track time will come on briefly. I read the manual, and it doesn't say anything about making the time a permanent part of the display.

Since I'm here, let me add my two cents in. Ceccon, I ordered my car (on 7/26, so wait wasn't too bad) because it's hard to get a manny, and I knew exactly what I wanted (C2, C7, Bose). Maybe it's easier to get what you want in So Cal, but I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't want to settle with getting most of my preferences.

Go to the vw vortex site, do a search for "window regulator" or "gear grind" and see how many hits that you get. They have had these problems for years; they must be sentimental, because they should have been fixed a long time ago. They're generally reliable, but the little things tend to go on them. I guess that everything's a tradeoff. While the Japanese cars are reliable (I know; I've got a '90 crx), my personal opinion is that they are just missing something at the top end of the scale, so I'd be willing to trade off a little reliability for something that I enjoyed to drive a little more. But, as people here have already said, owners with no problems generally don't speak up about it, so the trend on this forum would paint a worse than reality picture of the C's reliability.
  • I also live in Atlanta and I am interested in the C240. Could you let me know who you dealt with to get your car at just 3% over invoice?
  • Could somone direct me to where to go to get current invoice prices for the C240 and all the various packages and options?
  • Tommy- Thanks for the pics of your Orion Blue car. Great color. Actually, I was going to get Bordeaux Red. I took the family down to the local MB dealer. They had a Magna Red C240 6 Spd Sport on the show room floor. It was sweet. The family loved it. But since I just sold my Guards Red Porsche I didn't want to get another bright red car. I then took my family to the lot and showed them the Bordeaux Red. They all hated it. So I said I really wanted Orion Blue, but that's a $1k option. They all said "get it". So here I am.

John W.
  • Kelly's Blue Book has their 2002 invoice prices on-line. Check out http://www.kbb.com/

You can build your car at the site also.

• ahostahost Posts: 36
    That is a feature; I remember I saw it somewhere in the manual
  • ahostahost Posts: 36
    Thanks for the information. I had the new valve kit installed last Friday, and it actually seems to completely elliminate the noise. So, just to let other people with the problem know that now there is an efficient solution.
  • I dealt with Greg Townsend at RBM of Atlanta.
This discussion has been closed.