Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    Start at the $40K mark. I'm sure Mercedes will have no trouble selling them at that price.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Ordered the car, waited 6 months and took delivery in October 2001. C240 with all options except command.

At 300 miles the sunroof would not close. Dealer fixed it.

At 720 miles the sunroof would not close.
    Dealer fixed it.

On a long trip, the low beam left Xenon went out. Tele-Aid said to go to a local gas staion and buy a bulb...on I95 in South Carolina!.. Something tells me that they dont stock $400 xenons in the local station!

On that same trip the ESP/BAS malfunctioned. On an off every few restarts of the car.
    The car went in for servicing 3 times in December and January to fix it. After the fourth time, I started the lemon law process in Florida. On the 4th repair trip...it seems they might have fixed it by replacing 4 parts of the brake system including the "brake master"

Now this week, the car idles roughly and has stalled two times back and forth to work on I95 traffic in South Florda.

Sorry, but I now give up on this car. PLEASE NOTE: Mercedes is not a member of the better Business Bureau (many manufactures are) and you can read that in the state of Florida they contest with lawyers, every Lemon Law case. Other makers just settle with the Better Business Bureau requests.

If you want me to send you the letters I have sent Mercedes USA and Mercedes Benz Fort Lauderdale, let me know on this message board.
  • http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/24/automobiles/24AUTO.html

"For years, Mercedes has cut costs in an effort to hold the line on prices. Materials that look and feel relatively cheap have been showing up even in expensive models like the S-Class sedan, but have been especially notable in the M-Class sport utility. At the same time, the revered Mercedes brand has been dropping in quality and durability rankings.

One such survey by TUV, a German auto-inspection and research association, which measured durability during the first three years of ownership, ranked half a dozen Toyotas ahead of the highest-rated Mercedes, the SLK. (It was No. 12.) Over all, the TUV survey found that Mercedes quality and customer satisfaction had been falling since 1999, and had dropped below the ranking of General Motors' Opel subsidiary.

In North America, Mercedes fell last year to 10th place, from 6th, in a J. D. Power & Associates study that measured dependability after four to five years of ownership. The study found 296 problems for every 100 Mercedes vehicles, compared with 173 problems for Lexus, which has been ranked first for seven years.

None of these issues — declining quality, budget materials, possible brand erosion — may matter much to those who buy the C230. But they pose risks for a company with a century-old reputation for automotive superiority.

"

• cticctic Posts: 291
    Forget about quality, service is very poor. In the 3-4 years which I have serviced the car at the dealer, the quality of the service has dropped tremendously.
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    Can you be specific about the decline in service quality?

Heh, my old Peugeots are looking more and more like the sensible alternative to a new car...
  • eoseos Posts: 27
    Ctic, I am curious to know where you have been getting your car(s) serviced.
  • I have 2002 C 240; i experienced similar problem -I just wanted to know what do you mean by stalled! in my case I was on Red signal and the car become quiet; I thought I need ignition but after few seconds CAR started - it was so fast I could not think logically what would have been happened! are you talking same thing or you had to start CAR by ignition KEY; please advise - thanks
  • sounds like the fuel pump problem often mentioned with the first Cs.
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    I figured I'd give everyone an update on my early 2001 (built 7/2000) C320 Sport. I leased this car at dealer cost because they couldn't get rid of it (Amethyst). This color does NOT do the car any justice which is why I am not thrilled with it. I think silver really makes the car look sharp. Well.. getting back to my owner experience, I have NOT ever had to bring the car to the dealer other than A service. I currently have over 15,000 miles and I have this to say. I would probably NOT get another Mercedes. The cost of this vehicle is simply NOT justified. I'd rather have an Audi A4 (quattro is great as I had a '96). I enjoyed my '96 A4 more than my Benz. I figured I'd chime in to let some people know that not all C's are problematic. I simply haven't fallen in love with this car. I also had a 2000 C280 which I regret trading for this car. At least that car felt like a tank. This car does NOT exude that fault like structure.
  • We just finished our 1st year with the C240. 18,000 miles. Key problem of course. No big deal. Windshield Washer reservoir cracked and was replaced. Mileage in the 23-24 MPG range.

We did expeirence the ruff idle problem twice in the last month. The service manager explained that MB engineers were aware of fuel injection software problem that they have not solved yet. He offered to replace the FI system but warned me that it would have the same software and may or may not fix the problem. He suggested that we wait till the 24,000 mile service before replacing the system and that the software issue should be resolved by then. While I was not thrilled with that answer, at least he seemed honest and sincere about the whole thing.

Overall we like the car and are satisfied with the service. We just acquired a second puppy so we may move up to a C320 wagon.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...too bad the corporation can't keep up with the pace of new technology that it insists on putting in these cars. At least in a recent interview, the top execs in the company in Germany are no longer stonewalling and denying that there are problems out there, notwithstanding that MBUSA execs still insist all is well.

The upcoming E will be a big test - the last time a troublesome E debuted [the W124 in '85-'86], there were practically riots in the streets of Stuttgart from the legions of angry cab drivers and other regular E buyers who were ready to lynch somebody over the problems in the early cars. Hubbert and Schremp claim they are on the case...we'll see...
  • nankynanky Posts: 75
    Mikki,

It's been a while. How's the Obsidian sibling faring? Two trips to Vegas, just a few chips on the hood, and 13K later, the car is still a blast to drive. Just had the A service done a couple of weeks ago. Learned my lesson on those long trips. If you can, stay away from letting those trucks into the passing lane ahead of you. What you get in return is a shower of hard flying granules of sand and rock. That hurts.
  • Thought some of you would want to know that after 15 months of almost monthly problems with my 2001 C 320 and several meeting with the Dealership and the Mercedes regional rep they made a deal I could live with. They offered me full trade in value for the car at the original purchase price and a new E Class at deal cost. We picked up the new E last Monday. I think (hope) it will be a problem free car. At least it's reputation is good. It's quite a bit bigger than the C 320, seems to have a smoother ride with more power, and it has a more comfortable feel though we haven't driven it that much so far. It's interesting that some of the things that are standard on the C 320 are not included in the E Class such as headlight washers, a rear window sun shade, a more advanced Bose radio (the one in the E doesn't have settings for ambience, driver and speech) and some of the other electronic goodies, but those aren't really big deals, and the fancy electronics were part of the problems we were constantly having with the C Class. Also, since Mercedes is coming out this summer with a new E Class my guess is they probably didn't want to invest much more in the current one. In any case, Mercedes finally came through and did the right thing I believe, and I can't complain (at least as long as the new car is reliable and pretty maintenance free.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    Its is a lesson for all of you who are having problems with your Cs. Complain to MBUSA and keep complaining until you get results.

Peter: Unlike your C which was the first MY of the production run, your E is the last model year of a 6 year production run (The Current Body style was introduced in late 1995 as a 1996 model). To say that it should be bulletproof as far as reliability goes is an understatement. It probably doesn't have some of the electronic goodies like you said, but the '03 E will. Good luck with your new E320!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Just checking in to report that my 01' C320 has reached 16 months and 13,000 miles with no problems. Still a smooth, quiet, powerful, and fun car to drive. Everything works like it's supposed to, although I don't use many of the "gadgets" like the seat/wheel retraction when you get out, etc. I did get the car realigned at the first FSS; it would drift to the right if I took my hands off the wheel. Even though this is not a good way to drive, I mentioned it to the Service Writer, who had a "Camber Kit" installed. The Kit reduces steering sensitivity to road crown. Still don't drive much with my hands off the wheel, but the rightward drift is pretty well gone.

Tom
  • Congrats peter84, I have a C240 that has had similar problems to yours, i.e tires, wheels, new transmission, driveshaft, rearend+. Could you email me in further detail about your problems and the end resolution? Thanks. bill@niuminc.com
  • diwc240diwc240 Posts: 172
    Well Done Peter, good to see your Mercedes Dealer (name / Washington D.C.) come thru with "After Sales Service" (albeit took 15 months)...or at least concern & respect for their Customer.
    I have nothing but the highest of praise for my Mercedes Dealer in Jersey = Millennium.
    Ian
  • bill124bill124 Posts: 242
    Well, I think I found my car. 2002 at list, white, blue top. Took a while and lots of time. If things go well, I get it on Saturday.
    I can't open the link to the '03s, and I know what you guys say about playing hardball, but I called up and down the East Coast as well as Chattanooga, TN and I was out of luck. Dealers in NY, NJ, Pa, Virginia, Connecticut tell you pay a premium if you want it now. They don't call you back if you tell them no. It's just over. Maybe it's not that way elsewhere in the good old USA, and maybe if I wanted to wait a while until the summer is over, I'd be better off. Punch in my zipcode (11596) on cars direct for this car and even there it has a $1,000 premium. I'll know tomorrow if the car is mine. If not, I'm back to waiting for someone to call on a cancelled car or placing an order (some say 5 months, some say 8 months, etc.).

Any thoughts???
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks!
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tclawtclaw Posts: 23
    There are probably many of them participating, including me--this is after all a Mercedes site--but we're trained to be a suspicious lot. So, please explain a bit what you have in mind.
This discussion has been closed.