Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    That's normal mileage for my 2000 C230 Kompressor, especially if I step on it :-) !

- P.
  • ahostahost Posts: 36
    I agree that the engine/AC is very quiet. Only the fan at max speed is very noisy. The engine is definitely much more quite than the '99 Accord I drove as a loaner.
  • sun219sun219 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply about the engine noise. I think my c320 makes excessive noise. I will have it checked tomorrow. I've only had this car for less than 2 weeks and I'm already going back to the dealer. This is a bad sign :( I never expected this from a brand new Mercedes.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    The only leather is the center portion of the seat bottom and seat back. The side bolsters are leatherette. Personally, I can't tell the difference between the two. The leatherette will wear better than leather and the side bolsters will wear first. We followed the advice of our salesman who recommended against the full leather. You won't notice the difference, the full leather will cost more, and it won't wear as well.
  • benz747benz747 Posts: 91
    I bought Extended Warranty on my C 240 on July 28, 2002 - does anyone know how many weeks I need to wait to receive confirmation papers in mail?

I bought this from LISA - referred from previous posts
  • doofus3doofus3 Posts: 2
    No need to fret, Benz747, you'll receive it shortly. After you receive it, wait a couple of weeks, then contact your local MB dealer's service manager. He'll check his computer and it will show your Extended Warranty is active.
  • What's the deal with edmunds saying 2002's are 3-4K off MSRP...does anyone have any additional info about this. Is there some type of incentive going on?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...I thought I posted it here, but it might have been the C230 forum.
    Coupes - $1000 dealer incentive
    Sedans - $1500
    Wagons - $3000

These are for the C-Class; there are other incentives for other cars, especially any leftover W210 Es.
  • nhtoccnhtocc Posts: 6
    Has anyone else noticed spots on the outside of their windshield when the windshield is wet or damp? They look like water spots but I can't make them go away. A few nights ago I could barely see due to them. Even my friend commented on them. I have tried windex, car wash soap etc. no luck removing them. They are not noticeable when dry but can be seen if I squirt the washer on the windshield. I really, really want to like this car, but it is getting harder and harder to do so. The little things are making me crazy. I also had a thought regarding the seat "opening up" to let you in & out every time you shut off the car: I am in and out of my car numerous times a day, probably more so than the average consumer, do I really think the seat motor will last? I'll put my money on having to replace it. Good news is I don't have any engine noise and I didn't spend the extra money on full leather. By the way, thanks for input...you are all very informative!
    ...are probably caused by contamination during shipping and storing. Should be removable using a number of products that are sold to remove water spots. IF YOU ARE CAREFUL, I've had good luck with ordinary cleanser on a sponge, but you have to make sure you touch absolutely nothing but the glass, get most of it off with a paper towel, and then thoroughly rinse with water, lots and lots of it. As I said, there are commercial concoctions sold to do the same thing, but the cautions are the same - anything with a mild abrasive will do the trick, but it needs to be far, far away from the paint.

Have you asked the dealer's detailing dept to have a crack at it?
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    John, I think you offer excellent advice. I have had chemicals spot my paint many years ago. Glad I learned on something temporary, like the minimal cost vehicles I had when I was in high school and college on Cape Cod.

Currently I use Rain-X, again I am very careful to never let it touch anything except the windshield (and window) glass. Perhaps it is my imagination, but it seems my windshield pits less if I use it. I don't suppose it offers much protection against sand and rocks in reality, though.

Nhtocc, if your dealer is Transatlantic Motors on Falmouth Rd. in Hyannis, you might want to ask for the service rep. Brian. He was very helpful to me back in 1996 when I had my C220 serviced when I was visiting my parents (I think you mentioned you were on the Cape?).

Good luck, I look forward to hearing your results!

- Paul
  • sddlwsddlw Posts: 361
    If Windex or vinagar or ammonia do not work, there are glass polishes. Not just cleaners, but with micro-abrasive silica in them that are used for heaqy duty cleaning every once in a while. I periodically use the Zaino product (http://www.zainobros.com/). In a pinch, toothpaste (non-whitening) works wonders too for cleaning both glass and paint as it is also a micro-abrasive product. You just have to clean the toothpaste off afterwards. The car products are better fomulated to just wipe off.
  • nhtoccnhtocc Posts: 6
    Hey, I read the manual and found that I can stop the easy access entry/exit function so that the seats and steering column do not move every time I get in and out of the car. I think this will lengthen the life of the motor in the seat.

Thank you also for windshield advice. I will try some of these products.

Yes Paul you are correct I am on the Cape. Did not buy car from Trans Atlantic but have been there for a checkup on something and they did treat me very well. Will heed your advice and ask for Brian when I go back. Thx!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,401
    this is OT, so you can email me if you want to, but I'm visitng the Cape next week and was wondering if you could give me some pointers on any must sees or must eat at restaurants? We're going to do Martha's Vineyard one day, Nantucket one day, we plan to trek out to Provincetown as well...any other suggestions? We're staying at an Inn in Centerville. Thanks in advance.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• vfchangvfchang Posts: 4
    Not sure if this has been posted. But, for those with the mysterious outside rearview mirrors drift, there is now a partial fix. MB has come up with new controllers. They do not completely eliminate the drift; but, they have reduced the need (by about 50-75%) to periodically re-adjust.
    Separately, for those with the Bose system and CD changer, do you have to set your fader control almost completely to the rear to get some rear sound bias? I recently had my dealer install the changer and have had to change the fader setting in order to get a rear bias. This was not the case before installing the changer. The dealer claims this is normal as the system in another car sounds similar. But, I find this hard to believe/understand. Thanks for any insight.
    Victor
  • I have been using Mobil 1 10W-30 in my C320 since 5,000 miles. Would the 5W-30 grade be a better choice for the winter months, given the change in season coming up? Or alternatively, should I stick with the 10W-30 for the winter season? I live in New York where the temperatures reach a low of about 0-5F on the coldest days. Should I consider using 5W-30 even in the summer months, where the hottest days are 95-100F?
    ...is OK for year-round use, especially so with any synthetic. And this simplifies things if the car is not ready for an oil change when the seasons change.
  • jpnwdcjpnwdc Posts: 42
    I'm trying to decide between the C320 and the BMW 325i. With year-end 2002 prices on the C-Class they're about $3,000 apart. Anyone else go through a similar comparison? I know the 330i is more comparable from a hp perspective. However, the 325i seems peppy enough. The C240 does not.

Here are my initial thoughts on this, but I'm interested to hear other opinions.

C320 Advantages over 3-Series:
    - Ride
    - Safety
    - Style (subjective)
    - Trunk space

3-Series over C320:
    - Sporty feel
    - Handling
    - Price
    - Fold down rear seats come with cold weather package
    - in dash CD-player
    - reliability (from what I've read)
    ...though I don't personally believe there is any measureable difference from a safety perspective between either of these cars.

The only thing you need to do is think about what the price difference is worth to you [I would never pay for a C320 new, under any circumstances, but to each their own], and how competent you believe the dealers are in your area.

I personally believe the C240 is just fine in performance, so a "stripper" C240 [or more loaded with the yearend incentives] and "stripper" 325 have been on my shopping list, as well. The difference in price for an '03 325 automatic, and a highly discounted [but better equipped, even loaded] '02 C240 works out to about $1000-$1500 in favor of the 3er.

The 3er is a more mature design, and while not without some lingering issues, promises to be more trouble-free in the short run than the C. Back seat room, and trunk space, favor the C. MB's service plan is superior for the '02 model year, but in for '03s, the BMW will have the same coverage.

I'll admit to flopping back and forth myself, and that's without throwing in the EXTREMELY impressive and competent Infiniti G35 [if you haven't tried one, you should], and for that matter, the new and also extremely impressive Accord EX V6, which will have a complete safety package and 5-spd automatic with 240 hp for about $26k [and less if you wait for the initial demand to die down]. You can get a nav system with the Accord and still get change back from $28k or so...no prestige factor, but extremely good resale value and very, very nice package in the '03.

For me, if you have only to choose between the Germans, it would probably boil down to how confident you feel about the dealers in your area...because with either of these cars [but especially the C] you can count on the fact that it will need something besides routine servicing inside the warranty period. Around here, that version of the tie-breaker probably favors MB...
  • ahostahost Posts: 36
    Thanks for posting this. My dealer told me MB was working on a solution for the drifting mirrors, and now it might be there. I will contact my dealer and have them fix it.
This discussion has been closed.