Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    "and with a weighted crankshaft" I think that you meant an additional balance shaft.
  • You can't be serious in your complaint about mileage---my 96 C280 gets about 19/20 in doodling around town and 27/28 on the highway. Suggest you go back to Honda or Toyota and endure BORING but better mileage.
  • Actually once I am done with my C I probably will go to a car that gets better mileage. My 95 Accord EX had a 4-cyl VTEC engine that was certainly as fast and had as much get up and go as my C240 does. And it got at least 5 mpg better on REGULAR unleaded gas. If manufacturers can build more efficient engines there's no reason why they shouldn't be in wider use. If MB is really as advanced in the engineering department as they claim then this is certainly something they ought to be working on.

On another topic, I saw on the news late last week there there had been a settlement in a lawsuit in which MB agreed to give extended warranties to owners of certain 1996-2001 cars. The warranties will extend to something like 10 years and 150,000 miles. But they didn't say which cars this applies to. Has anyone heard about this or know where to get info?
  • If an additional 5 mpg is your major criteria, a move to a Japanese car is probably best for you.
    As the owner of a 1996 MB, I would be interested in this extended warranty you mentioned. Anyone know if this is true and have any further info?
  • What kind of gas mileage can be expected with the C240 (auto)? Any current owners care to share their experiences?
  • rs64rs64 Posts: 64
    I have 28,000 miles on my C240 (auto) and average around 25-26 mpg with 50% city/50% highway driving. Gets up to the high 20's with just highway.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    What's a reasonable deal to shoot for on the purchase of a 02 C240 at this time of year? Will there be any siginificant improvements in the 03's??
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...and my offer on an '02 C240 will be $3600 off MSRP, which is what CarsDirect is selling them for in NorCal. If they have the car I want and will take this deal, then we will probably do business. If not, not...
  • Hello,

I am planning to get a 2002 C240. Edmund shows the invoice price as $29,077 and the TMV as $28,479. I checked to see whether there is any incentives and found none. How could the dealers sell below invoice?

Is this because of some dealer holdbacks? or they are prepared to take a loss to get rid of the 2002 models?

Also, are the prices are for only those vehicles remaining in the lot? or can I get a color I want?

Any help in making sense of this will be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    It is possible to buy a car below dealer invoice. If they give you holdback, that is one way, but make no mistake about it, they are still making money on the car somehow (You ever notice how the destination charge is the same no matter what part of the country you live in?). If there are 2002s on the lot and the 2003s are expected in relatively soon, then the reamining 2002s will sell at a significant discount. Also remember, the more time a car sits on a dealer's lot, the more it costs them (they have to pay interest to the banck you know) You do have to realize though that once the 2003s come out that your car is a year old (as far as depreciation goes). You will get a better price on cars remaining on the lot as they are called leftovers and you get what you get. I'm sure a dealer might be able to do a swap for you, but you won't get as good a deal.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Good afternoon. I'm after opinions from experienced C280 owners/drivers: which do you prefer, the inline 6 (1997 and before) or the V6 (1998 and after)? The opinions from those I've solicited here in Seattle are so mixed (from owners and mechanics) that I need to broaden my sampling via Town Hall! Thanks.
  • According to Edmund incentive info.

Anyone purchase a C320 or C240 lately? and what is the price you paid for?
  • Just got a 02 C230 coupe; red, automatic, C5 premium package, C7 wheel package and CD changer for $27300! This is $1657 below invoice! And no I didn't took the one that sitting in the parking lot; they located one from NY and ship it back to NJ for me.
    Now beat that BMW!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,413
    While your gripes are valid, and I haven't gotten the new C&D yet (So I don't know what options were on the C320 they tested), I can tell you that it is very easy to push the MSRP of a C320 north of $45K. Now granted most of them out there aren't optioned as well, but I'll say many of the C320s I see on the road stickered for somewhere in the low $40K range.

Historically MBs have been more expensive than their competition (you remember the previos generation S Class). Again, I think Mercedes makes a great car, they're just expensive compared to their competition.

I think Mercedes has been building cars to win favorable magazine reviews as of late (I'm being fecious, but you get the point) instead of building a true Mercedes. But that's an argument for another topic.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• I do this (write reviews) for a living. Readers often misread the intent of reviews, or they read their own preferences into a review; in either case, they are apt to be disappointed. A C-class MB is NOT a performance sedan; it is an entry-level high-spec touring sedan. A real difference in both pop and handling. I own a C280, a SVT Contour (a wonderful car, BTW), and a 3-series BMW. Love them all, but each has a different application, a different ride, a different joy and purpose. Having said this, in IMHO, the C280/C320 (but not C230) Benz in the best blend of both worlds. BTW, I think the "sport" option is over-rated and, in any case, marginalizes the interior too much to be worth the difference in handling.

For what it's worth...
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    Well, for starters neither seem to be particularly noble engines; the IL 6 is renowned for oil leaks and typically has recurrent head gasket problems, while the V6 is only a Mercedes-Benz V8 with two cylinders amputated, with improper 90 degree bank spacing and the attendant imbalances, necessitating a counter-rotating balance shaft. Having written that, the V6 is a quite good application in practise, considering its compromised origins. The C 240 is a nice, if less-than-torquey car to drive, at least in manual form. A benefit of the V6 is that it likely results in a safer car in the event of a collision, its block being considerably shorter than the IL 6, giving more programmable crush space for the designers to work with.

About the distinction between BMW 3er "Sport Sedans" and C Class "Entry Level Touring Sedans", I'd say that these are nearly meaningless generalisations invented by marketing people who lack adequate descriptive capability.

I have driven both extensively and I'd be hard-pressed to find any major, significant difference between, for example, a 320i and a C 240 in handling and roadholding. Perhaps the distinction between the two becomes clearer with the 330i and C 320, particularly if the BMW is fitted with the optional "sport" suspension. A suspension which is, by the way, not too happy coping with uneven pavement in corners when driven quickly. But both cars in their lower spec form are very close in feel and the choice one makes between them is mainly attributable to intangibles, in my opinion.

For real world driving, the Mercedes-Benz C suspension is head and shoulders above the bone-jarring and skittish-on-bumps BMW Sport suspension. If you live and drive on a racetrack, the 330i Sport is the preferred option, I will admit.

To my mind, the C 230 Kompressor Coupé represents the best of both worlds: very good handling/roadholding, massive torque and very tight performance in a package that is stylish, commodious and potentially very economical if driven carefully. Sure, it's only a four cylinder engine, but it's a lot nicer than the 2.6 L V6. Too bad the 4 cylinder Kompressor engines are not sold in the C sedan in North America. That's why I have a 2002 C 230 K.
  • Thanks, 404c; your response is most helpful. I've not had problems yet with my C280. I also agree with your take on "sport" models, especially in the MB C-class which compromises the interior in its Sport model. IMHO, the sport option in the BMW 3-series is more decisive and should be considered before purchase. I chose against it; but there was a real choice to make in the case of the BMW, whereas this just isn't so with the MB. BTW, I also like the post-1999 C230. Very sweet car, although I tend to like 4d.

Let me ask you about my '96 C280: do you recommend any aftermarket products/adjustments to this engine, or would you agree "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
  • 404c404c Posts: 146
    I'd leave it alone; it is a good engine in standard form and the only potential concern is to check pre-emptively for head gasket problems occasionally. With or without head gasket issues, it should be good for a very high mileage, which is something I admire in a car, driving them as I do for 10+ years and 300,000+ km. To date my favourite car is the Peugeot 404 Coupé - I've owned one of these since 1981. I liked the W202 C Class, but it looks rather square-rigged and straight-laced next to the more flamboyant/stylish W203. I see the latter as M-B moving towards (but not into) BMW 3 marketing territory and driving feel.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    I've published this at least twice, but one more time:

Dealer Incentives on '02 Cs:

Coupe - $1000
    Sedans [BOTH] - $1500
    Wagon - $3000

The latter figure only applies to the wagon, not the C320 sedan, which gets the lower amount.
  • I just closed a deal on a 2002 C240 this past friday. The selection was pretty limited but i picked up a 2002 Metallic Silver C240 with premium leather and the C2 package for $31,345. I am going to pick it up the 10th and i can hardly wait!
This discussion has been closed.