Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Am off to test drive C230K/6 speed tomorrow...will post impressions soon!

rich
  • patpat Posts: 10,421

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for another
    round of automotive trivia and member-to-member chat.
    Test your skills (or multiple choice guessing ability)
    against other Town Hall members.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

Hope to see you there!
  • valonvalon Posts: 22
    today my car got here and diler call to let me know, went there to check the car and finalize paper work i was hopping to drive out of the diler sometime friday but i don't think is happing cause i did my own financing (even the guy from f&i wanted me to use there financial institution) better rate, now I have to wait till they have the founds in before they can realise the car. I did test drive the car and i have no complains yet, in the end i like everyone to know that total for the car i payed was $250 over invoice price plus tax .
    car has c2,c4 heated seats and cd
    i will post my first impressions as a owner after i drive from the diler
  • wc68wc68 Posts: 23
    Did you have to pay an advertising fee? I ordered my C230 Sport Sedan for $500 over invoice but there is an advertising fee of $400 which I think is pure profit to the dealer. Congrats on the new car!!!
  • jdisanjdisan Posts: 28
    Hey all, thought this would be helpful about how to decode your VIN for those of us who ordered or will be ordering cars.

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
    For example: U.S.A.(1or4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
    BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
    Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th character- Identifies VIN accuracy as check digit.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
    1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production
    as it rolled of the manufacturers assembly line.

-----
  • Rich,
    Good to hear that you test drove the vehicle this morning. Can't wait to hear your impressions! I'll be checking the board tonight.

Valon,
    That is one incredible price you got on your car. I was only able to get $1000 off MSRP; which is still about $1200 over invoice; and even that was a hard deal to pull off. Great haggling and keep us informed of your initial ownership experience.

jdisan,
    Great post about the VIN. I checked it with mine and was able to determine that it was definitely built in Germany. . .cool stuff; thanks for the info.
  • gnoprasgnopras Posts: 1
    Can somebody help me find cd changer for 99 C280
    no i didn't have too pay for advertising fee,but i ordered the car in feb so maybe was still new model and diler wanted to start selling them, i know for a fact that few weeks ago someone ordered the same car and got hard time to even get few $$ less than msrp, car is hot buy now and dilers around are aware of that
  • jdisanjdisan Posts: 28
    ...i was able to get about $600 over invoice. But it was not easy.
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    Alpine makes cd charger for your car. You might find it at regular car stereo stores.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I think ours was just C3, C4. We did order it. If we'd tried to buy off the lot, no doubt the car would have had a sunroof on it. We felt it was unnecessary and didn't want to pay for it.
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    Today, while driving along, I saw a silver C240 with wheel covers and black door handles. I have never seen a C-Class made like that. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen one. Is it a custom build or something?
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    that is a classic model it is the base car in Canada. The US car base is an elegance which is a upgrade from the classic
  • Is that test drive over yet?. . . .I know you're thorough, but. . . .:) My C230K is arriving in Baltimore on Friday. I should have the car by the middle of next week. The wait is ALMOST OVER!!
    Hey Tony were you able to track your car on the web? Was there a reason why you didn't order the C1 package (power seats)? I have no idea where my car is now!
  • I have not tried to track my car on the web. My dealer has been informing me every week as to where my car is and when it will get here. It was produced on 3/7 and shipped out on 3/14. It is going to arrive, according to his computer, on Friday, 3/28. He said it takes less than a week to get the car prepped, flat bedded to Richmond, VA, and ready for delivery.

The reason I did not opt for the C1 package was I am of the school of thought that once I set where my seat is most comfortable for me (and I am basically the only driver of the car), I never use the power/memory seat. I currently have power/memory seats in my Jetta, and after I set the memory three years ago, I never used that button again. Also, since it already comes with 4 way power seats and I only have to set the for and aft position manually, I just didn't see the need. Just my opinion, of course.

So, no word on your car, huh? When is your dealer saying that you will actually take delivery of the car?
    My dealer says its on a boat but can't give me a definite date of arrival, the car was built on 2/27/03. I was having second thoughts about not getting the C1 option but figured I could use the money elsewhere and once you set your seat you really don't need to change it. If you have the Vin # to your car try this website to see if you can track your car, others have said it works but I can't find my car. www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/Toolbox/Appl/CargoTracking/index.jsp Let me know if it works! Willy
  • Now that was cool!! I checked it out and it showed that my car was received at the terminal in Bremerhaven on 3/15, loaded onto the vessel on 3/16 and is set to arrive in Baltimore on 3/28.

Thanks for the website, the anticipation is killing me!!! It doesn't make sense why your VIN did not work. I would double check it with your dealer. Thanks AGAIN!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,412
    About 2 years ago, I had the opportunnity to drive a C230K Sports Coupe (Automatic) and a C240 (Automatic, No Sport Suspension). I was very impressed with the rigidity of the chassis on the C240, but thought the car was underpowered for my tastes. I liked the C Coupe, especially the Supercharged engine. I immediately started to play frankenstein in my head and said that MB should offer the Supercharged I4 with the sedan body style. Well, 2+ years later my daydream has become a reality. I was excited to read that the C230K Sports Sedan is a reality (and priced very competitvely). I love the 17" wheels. I look forward to reading your driving impressions and ownership experiences. I'm sure that since the C has been out for 2 years that MB has worked out all of the electrical, transmission, and interior fit & finish bugs that I've heard about 1st hand from some friends of mine who bought the first round of C240s & C320s.

Truth be told, I've always been a big fan of Mercedes. Even now, I think that they pen some of the most beautiful cars on the road. Some of the issues that my friends have had in the last few years with their new M, S, & C class cars have definitely skewed my thoughts away from Stuttgart and towards Munich (I'm not saying BMWs are perfect, and no I don't want a Lexus ES300). BMWs chassis dynamics are remarkable. I like the styling of their cars, but Mercedes are still more beautiful.

When I'm in the market for an entry-level sports sedan, I'll deinitely check out the C230K Sports Sedan (Black/Black 6-speed). For now I plan on enjoying flying onto and off of highways as well as the twisties in my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

im taking the car today afternoon from the diler finally, i will update post after that, i just hope with good news for the performance of the car .
This discussion has been closed.