Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    I think the 240 exists because of displacement requirements in the Euro market. And, I don't see MB's prices coming down: they seem to be going up because of the change in the exchange rates. Rather than lowering the price of a 320, I think they'd just make it better to help justify higher prices.

If MB is putting an AMG-tuned V8 into the sedan, it makes sense the SLK's 3.5L will be there too before long, because that is MB's best V6 now: more power and better fuel economy too.

I'd expect to see the new 3.5 across MB's entire line--not just in the C-Class--the E-Class tooh, replacing the next ML's 3.7L "350" and maybe there would also be 3.5L S-Class and SL models too.

Since the V6s are components of the V8, I'd guess there will be a next generation V8 based on this latest technology, e.g., ~4.6L
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    If your taillights are burning out frequently, check with your service advisor. I'm not sure if there is a TSB about this, but out dealer replaced a portion of the wiring harness on my wife's 2002 C240. That fixed the problem. They did this without any prompting from us.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,401
    I just returned from the C-Spot Drive event in Rye, NY. It was raining out this AM, so the Hot Laps in the C32 AMG were loads of fun!

The course was really tight and I felt it was hard to get any sort of real feel for the C-Class cars. I was bummed that no Manual tranny Cs were available for driving, but oh well.

The steering felt nice and heavily weighted, pretty direct.

The '05 C230K Sedan is a really pretty car. The sculpted side skirts and 5 spoke wheels really give the car an aggressive look. I really like the new interior. The dash materials are very high quality, and the seats seem to be old school MB rock hard. The new center stack looks great too.

They gave you a $1500 credit (above and beyond your best deal) if you buy or lease a C230K Sport Sedan within 90 days that is fully transferrable. I'm not sure whether or not you can use it outside the NY, NJ, CT area, but it is worth a shot (I'll have to read the legalese later). If anybody out there wants it, drop me an email and I'll send it to you.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    I too went to the C-Spot "Party" in Rye, NY today. While it was a fine opportunity to become aware of the C-Class line, I was very dissappointed in the way that the drives were structured. The only course that you could drive yourself was very short (perhaps ½ mile total) and didn't have a straightaway sufficiently long to test acceleration. I don't believe that I exceeded about 35 mph anywhere on the course.

I've participated in a couple of other similar side-by-side comparison test drive events previously. They were of higher line models from Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln and Lexus. Both were at least twice as long as today's event and allowed you to get a much better feel of the vehicles.

After all was said and done, I came away from the C-Spot "Party" much less impressed with the C-Class than I had hoped to be. My 2004 Accord EX V6 Coupe with Navigation is a much more satisfying driving experience. I could have purchased a couple of identical Accords for about the same price as one similarly equipped C-Class. That's only after being "optioned" to death to equip the Mercedes the same way that Honda builds them as a package.
  • lxgmblxgmb Posts: 41
    A car was making a right turn but lost control and jumped over the island and hit my car which on the other side of the road. The demage is on the left side, on two doors. My wife and my young son were in it. They were taken to the ER. My questions:
    1. Except the body demage to the car, is there any inside problem for the car?
    2. What should I be aware of when I deal with the insurnace?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
  • mleskovarmleskovar Posts: 171
    Hope your family is OK. Did the side impact air bags deploy? Have MB do the damage estimate and go from there.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...if the airbags deployed, the price goes up. Do make sure the estimates come from a body shop recommended by, or attached to, an authorized dealer. Especially when dealing with someone else's insurance, there can be fights over "diminished value" - that is, the reduced resale value of your car, even when repaired, vs. before the accident. This is an issue that demands you play hardball with the insurance company. [Ask your own insurance people, and/or the used car manager of your dealer, about the concept of "dimished value"].

Otherwise your concerns should be focused on your family - since there were injuries, insurance companies have a way of wanting to settle quickly. Take your time and be sure to get some professional advice about fair compensation.
  • morganmorgan Posts: 1
    hi nyccarguy,
    I would love to get a hold of that credit. how do i get your email address. its private on the profile. thanks
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    come down to my final choices..... I'm purchasing a vehilce at the end of this month and plan to lease it for 36 to 48 months... I've narrowd it down to either the new 04 TL or the MB C class... I like both cars alot... and actually slightly like the TL over the C mainly because the interior on the TL is better... yet I still can't shake the fact that well plain and simple a mercedes is a mercedes... and Acura while a nice brand is still a Honda... well I'm now down to these two and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to get either of these cars with a stick shift (grant you this past weekend was the first time I've ever driven a stick and I only stalled it twice... I was driving my buddies RX7) so I don't know.... any advice would really be appriciated...
  • You're going to lease the car for 3-4 years, which means you'll be driving it for that long.

So, if you pick the TL, and you're behind the wheel of your Acura, are you going to think "I could have gotten a C-Class" every time you see a MB on the road during the next 36-48 months?

If you pick the C-Class, and you're behind the wheel of your Mercedes, are you going to think "I could have gotten a TL" every time you see an Acura on the road during the next 36-48 months?

Go with the car that's more likely to give you peace of mind.

Of course, in 3-4 years your lease will be up, and you can try the other one if you decide you made the wrong decision this time around.

And you can't really go wrong with either car.

Disclaimer: I have a C-Class as my daily driver, and I've never regretted buying it. I've never owned an Acura, so I can't judge.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Have you guys read this?

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/aboutus/news/newsFrame2004.jsp

The 2005 sport models get the outgoing C32's body kit and "regular" models get the 2004 car's "Sport" look for 2005. Interesting. Did anyone who attended the C-Spot events see the 2005 Sport models of the C230 or C320 Sedans?

M
    they had an '05 C230 on display. The car looks fabulous!

morgan: I'll have to figure out how to make my email public!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    nyccarguy - click on "Town Hall Profile" on the upper left side of this page - just below where it says "Hello, nyccarguy!" You'll see where you can change it.
    My email is live now!

• I am considering buying a used (2003?)MB 230K sedan in the next 3-4 months. As a regular e-bay user, I checked what they had and found out that their "Buy it now" prices are usually $3,000-4,000 lower than the same used car at a MB dealer. I was wondering if anybody out there has purchased a car (not necessarily a MB) from ebay and how the whole experience was. My first instinct is to go to a regular MB dealer where they have a reputation to maintain. But then I realized that most of the vehicle auctions on ebay are put up by the same dealers that have found in the internet a new way to offer their cars to a larger audience. Most of these cars are lease returns with very low miles and in excellent condition.

Checking the seller's background on ebay you can see that, for the most part, the transactions are flawless but I still feel a little weird about bidding close to $30K.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any feedback and/or advise in this sense. Thank you much in advance.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I've read one guy refer to it as ePray. My feeling is that it is a function of how much you think that Carfax is comprehensive. I have heard it said that all accidents don't find there way to Carfax. Carfax pretty much covers everything that the warranty doesn't. My opinion is that with a late model car under factory warranty, plus a clean Carfax, clear title (make sure that the car wasn't a manfacturer's buyback) plus a good seller reputation the risk is reasonable. I would also have the car inspected before bidding. I saw actual Mercedes dealers offering reasonable deals on cars on Ebay. These are probably the best bets. There are definitely scam artists out there but they are usually fairly easy to spot. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Forget where I saw the article (thinking it was in one of the auto mags), but saw one on eBay in which they discussed how the majority of sales on eBay Motors are actually by car dealers. Heck, even BMW is moving parts of its CPO program onto eBay in near future.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Posts: 341
    I'm trying to decide between the TL and the C 230 sedan, yet I also plan to get the windows tinted after I purchase it. as I understand the winsheild has rain sensing wipers... if I get them tinted will it affect it at all? I also know that they have that slight green tint to them already.. I plan on tinting so I need to know this
  • budinctbudinct Posts: 19
    If anyone has an extra coupon from the C-Spot demo, I really could use it. Many thanks.
  • lxgmblxgmb Posts: 41
    Regarding the "diminished value", I am in NJ, I asked my agent whom I bought my policy from, he said he never heard about get the diminished value back kind of thing.
    I do find a website shows you the diminished value to fight for.
    NJ has something different from other states.
    Anybody have this kind of experience?
This discussion has been closed.