Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    That C350 looks pretty cool. I remember when the C320 was at the top of the class in terms of power and slowly it fell but it looks like it is going back to the top.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    The engine is not that new....it is only "new" to the C and E class. Same with the transmission. No beta testing required....
  • I need to buy extended warranty for the C320, does anyone have a recommendation and pricing info?
    Is it within the first year of ownership [eligible for the factory extended warranty]?

If so, start with the F & I Manager at the dealership in Chico, California [get the details from the MBUSA website]. She has traditionally offered rock-bottom prices on the factory extended warranty. Then, you can either buy from them or use the info to get your neighborhood dealer to match or better the price. ANY dealer can sell the factory extended warranty, for ANY price they see fit. Ours was discounted nearly 25% from "list".

If the car isn't eligible for the factory warranty, I can't help - have no opinions or insights about the various 3rd party warranties out there.
  • Actually my factory warranty runs out next month, it's a 2001 model. Does Courtesy Motors in Chico offer competitive warranty rates for older models (not covered by MBUSA)?
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    engine isn't new? The article seemed to be indicating it was new.

Also, I wonder what they were thinking. I've heard no one complain about the performance of the C320. I also find few people buying the C320 over the C240 because the C240s performance is "okay" and its not worth the extra money to most to upgrade to the larger engine. Now, it will presumably cost even more to upgrade to get unneeded power. This may force me into a C240.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well the engine is new to the C-Class and new overall as it just debuted in the 2005 SLK350. I don't think engines are of any worry at Mercedes no more than anyone else. The C-Class should finally be more reliable now considering it is entering its last 2 1/2 years of production.

M
    ...is the classic MB all-aluminum V6, with new 4-valve heads, and I guess that doesn't qualify it in my mind as a "beta test". It's been offered on the SLK, but also on the S-class in all markets except this one, and is an example of where they are going with all of their engines. [The v6s and v8s share a common architecture and can be produced on the same assembly line]. There is simply nothing "risky" about this engine, or much of anything else with the C-Class these days....it's a proven commodity.

Eventually, the family of V6s with the new heads will range from 2.4 to 3.0 to 3.5, with hp ratings from just under 200 to 350+ with turbocharging. But drivetrains have never been the problem with these cars - it was always the electronics.
    The spread between the C240 and C320 was already too great, in the sense that few C320s are being sold, as far as I can tell. Will an even more expensive C350 have any market? But that's not my personal concern. Mine is that when the C350 comes out, there will probably be some good deals on the C320s already on dealer lots so perhaps I should just hold off on everything.
    Yeah, can't help you there - I've always thought the C320 was overpriced, but it is an old MB [and BMW] tradition to make huge $ jumps between models with the next biggest engine. They always throw in more equipment to help justify it, but I've always found this to be a poor tradeoff and no bargain. We're perfectly content with the performance of our C240, with 168 hp and 0-60 in the mid 8s. We took our last real road trip in October, including a lot of two-lane passing, and I simply never felt the need for the extra hp....but there is a whole generation now who thinks you have to get to 60 in less than 7 seconds [or is it now 6 seconds?]. In my day, this was supercar territory....whatever the market demands, I guess...
  • tlantlan Posts: 3
    My dash indicator light, "check engine" is on and when tested comes up with the Fuel Trim Bank 1 error. My mechanic replaced the oxygen sensor last summer and this light went off but it's back. And, it won't pass the Illinois emissions test until it is fixed. Does anyone know what is a Fuel Trim Bank 1 error and what is the cause? My mechanic is a German Master Mechanic and he said it was nothing to worry about but that was when I lived in Virginia. Now, I need to get it fixed. Any ideas?
    What model, year, and mileage? I have a source to ask, but those will be the first questions...
    I'm actively in the purchasing phase now and I was looking at old posts here and noticed reference to the "C2" package. Will you explain what that was? Obviously, MB has changed their naming conventions for packages and options since then.

Thanks,

postoak
    ....for the '02 model year meant sunroof, rear sunshade, and rain-sensing wipers. You have to be specific about the model year you're inquiring about - the package designations change pretty much every year.
    Ah, so from your post #5931 you basically got only the sunroof and metallic paint. I really only WANT the light pkg and the powerseat pkg (plus metallic paint) but it looks like everyone forces you to get the sunroof and the 6-cd disc changer. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get the deal you got because you got factory cash of what -- $1500? But it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get the additional $3000 off that you got either. So far, I can't even get invoice plus IRG. I'll keep plugging away though. There are lots of dealerships out there and I find I don't mind negotiating as much as I did when I was younger. I guess it is email that has really made the difference.
    In our case, it was year-end [Sept of '02, and the '03s were already coming off the trucks], the car had been in their stock for 5+ months, and there was a $3000 [!] dealer incentive on the table. So we got $4500 off, the dealer still made money, and they put a car on the street that was more than ripe.

Yes, for all practical purposes, it is impossible to get a sedan without the sunroof. Dealers are afraid to order them for stock, because they claim most customers won't buy them. Personally, I find the roof to be a useless option, and if I ordered a car from scratch [for overseas delivery, for example] I would not pay for it. BMW is about to make it standard on the new 3er - that at least is intellectually honest, if not a better solution.

If you waited until late summer, the kind of deal we got tends to be quite common....less so at this time of year. Right now, MBUSA might be offering some subvented financing, but their inventories on the C sedan are within reason, and it just isn't the time for big dealer incentives to be on the table.
  • There should be some incentives on the C320 as introduction of the C350 draws near, which I believe is this summer.
    Well, I want to do something soon. Price is becoming (a little less) of a concern and just finding a car with Xenon is my mission now. I know there isn't one within 100 miles.
    I took delivery of my 2005 C240 Luxury Sedan today. Xenon, Sunroof, 6-disc CD changer, power seats. I wanted pewter but couldn't find one so went with Silver/Ash instead.
  • jcat707jcat707 Posts: 168
    That kind of sounds familiar. I have a C230 with the same options but I wanted silver and had to settle for pewter.
This discussion has been closed.