Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• I've been considering more and more to go ahead and get the xenon headlights, but I really don't need/want the heated seats. I think I could justify to myself the $850 for the headlights, but I don't want to spend the another extra $800 for the C4 package which according to MB is required. Is it possible to get just the xenon lights without the heated seats?
  • tclawtclaw Posts: 23
    Not only did my letter to MB USA shake my car free from the Baltimore port facility (see prior post), but today I got a phone call from the district manager, or some such title. He sort of apologized for the "confusion," but defended MB for considering the port to be the last stage in the manufacturing process and not notifying dealers that some work will be done there that will cause the cars to be held longer than usual. I pushed him, saying that I could understand all of that but could not understand, and he could not reasonably defend, the negative answers I got from MB USA representatives when I specifically asked whether there was a door problem holding up my car. He ultimately agreed that they should have been willing to check it out. I pick up my car tonight, and hope that driving it, rather than just thinking about it since I ordered it on July 1, will make me forget all of this. Now I guess I just have to worry about invisible bras.
  • Tried to order snow tires from Tire Rack today they sell a tire and wheel package for the 230..but was told the steel wheels were no longer available because there was not enough clearance for the brake rotor. Has anyone ordered the package from them and if so has there been any problems.We live in Ct.and had the car last winter and there was no doubt in our mind that we needed snow tires during the winter season.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Now that you own both the C320 and E320. I'd love to hear your comparison of the two. Do you feel that the E320 handles much more poorly than the C320?
  • Daniel - Your observations on throttle response are right on. Regular posters know this is one of my favourite subjects. Hopefully Andrew won't mind another posting on this...

Right, I have finally concluded that:

- MBZ alleges a "Driver Adaptive electronic 5 speed automatic" (1999 Mercedes Benz C Class Brochure page 53
    - I have found no source for a definition of the "Adaptive" algorithm used in this trasmission
    - Subjectively, I've tried driving aggressively over various lengths of time (30 minutes, 2 hours, several days) and have found no difference in the throttle response in the important 30-50 mph overtaking range (other than the gas mileage gets worse)

Additionally, I have discovered two other things:

1) If you floor it, there is a manual kickdown feature at the throttle stop which, if you get beyond it, will generate full redline shifts. This is briefly exciting, but not terribly useful in day to day traffic jousting.

2) If you leave the transmission in D4, the throttle response in most cases is vastly improved. This is as you would expect as the box is indeed in a lower gear in most situations.

In spirited driving, I use (mostly) 2) i.e. leaving the transmission in D4. For me, this generates a quite satisfactory experience. The car feels like its on "tip toe" in normal driving, esp on two lane roads where the overtaking gaps are short. This is quite an easy thing to do since, with the MBZ "wiggly" gate, you just grab the shift lever, whack it to the left to downshift and wake up the autobox...It even seems to me that I've read this in the Owner's Manual, but she-who-must-be-obeyed has the car out tonight so I can't go look!

I have to admit 95%, of the time, commuting, I really just don't care about the shift points. Sometimes I turn off the Bose stereo and just listen and feel the rock-solid suspension going down the road.

If I am really feeling like a buzz, I get my '67 Austin Mini Cooper S out of the garage and go for a dash. If I were interested in banging gears in a modern car, I'd probably be running a BMW E46, but I guess I just skipped that phase of my car-owning experience in my declining old age (41:)

Note: my experiences are based on a sample of one - our '99 C280, your mileage may vary, etc.

I would be delighted if other New-C owners could post their experiences here.

Just my thoughts...

rj
  • w2p2w2p2 Posts: 63
    I stopped in today to check with my salesman today. We talked and he asked me if I was dead set on a white C320. I said well, I dunno. He said they had a C320 silver with black leather with all the options I wanted. He didn't know if it was sold yet. The person that ordered it call and said they had changed their mind. I was excited, here less than a month after placing my order and I was going to get my C320.
    Well I'm sure you guessed it. Another Salesman sold it just a few hours before I showed up!
    In all, it was my fault. I had told him that I only wanted white. So now he knows I want white or Silver,C2,C4, CD changer. He didn't say why they didn't want it. From an another dealer in another state, I had been told the stock market was causing a lot of people to put off accepting their car when it arrived. Oh well maybe luck will hit twice, still no heat in the car I drive now! I can and will hold out!
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    I know it! Waiting for your car is the worst! I had to wait a few months for my 99C. It was delivered to my dealership on a Thursday or Friday. I wanted to get it on Friday because I wanted to drive it on the weekend. When my salesman said it wouldn't be ready until Monday or Tuesday I really really wanted to throttle him on the spot.
  • kc01kc01 Posts: 2
    Sleake, thanks for your acknowledgement.

MBNut, thanks for your interest in my comparison.

First of all, I want to make it very clear that I was comparing a '96 E320 to a '01 C320. The '96 E320 carried over quite a few things from the '95, especially the engine and transmission. MB did make the '96 a better car overall.

I would not say that the "E320 handles much more poorly than the C320". These two cars were designed for different purposes, in my opinion. The E320 is more luxury than sports. However, I must say the E320 handles very well. I was impressed by how the car (E320) reacted in sharp corners. The suspension tightens up to take those turns, but relaxes on normal driving. To me, it is the "driver's car for the normal driver". The C may be better at road handling because of its sporty nature. My wife prefers the C320's smaller size and responsiveness.

The C320 is more fun to drive. It is more eager to play when you tell it to. The '96 E320 is more like a gentlemen, who thinks (or hesitates) before making a sudden move. That said, the E320 will get up and go although not immediately.

I drove a 2000 E320 a few months ago, and find it completely different than my '96 E320. The 2000 is much more responsive, probably because of the new V6 and some overall improvements. Actually I was very tempted to get a '01 E320.

As far as equipment, the '01 E320 is very similar to the C320. The difference is in how they are configured. The '01 E and '01 C have the same V6 engine, but gear ratio is different. The E has almost the same amenities, but configured a little differently, for instance the placement of the fully automatic window up/down switches. Ride wise, the E is more refine, since it is a bigger car and tuned more for luxury.

I have not tried to push the C320 too hard because it is a new car, and I tend to baby my cars. I will tell you more after I have had a chance to go over the 1,000 miles break-in period. It may take a while, because I don't drive a lot, and will be travelling during most of December. Just to let you know how little I drive, my '96 E320 has 31,000 miles. My '89 Acura Legend Coupe has 80,860 miles.

KC
  • fedssocr - I just got my car with C1, C2, C4, Auto, XENON, CD-Changer. I "love" my heated seats even though I live in CA. It's the best thing in the morning. And XENON really makes difference. Not just that it looks good, it really helps me at night. Just my opinion.

richardjenkins - Wow.. thanks for your comments. I tried to give more gas when I start from each stops, and I thought it was getting little better.. maybe I was just thinking that way.. Well, I really want to give a lot more gas and see how it moves but my car only has 100 miles on it right now, and I love my car too much to do that yet. =) Maybe after I break in my car, I'll post the differences(If there's any)

Daniel.
  • I picked up the all-season rubber floor mat from MB dealer today and it looked great in my Silver/Ash C. It's high quality rubber. I paid $78. I think it's worth getting than messing up the carpet mat. If you guys want to see how it look like, I'll post the picture.
    Daniel.
  • $1,000 is the deposit they are asking for in the Detroit-Toledo area.
  • nfotxnfotx Posts: 15
    Paid $1000 deposit in central California. And, after reading all the posts from #4 and #5, it seems to be the standard amount.

My car was due last week, AAAUUUUGGHHHHHH!!!!! I hate waiting. At least I know I have companions out there who are suffering too.

Okay tclaw, how's the car?
  • I ordered my C240 on Sept. 2, 2000. I was then told I would get my car no later than the end of November. I was now told today I will get it within the last 10 days of Feb. 01.

I want to buy one now. Who has had to wait this long, who has not.

Anyone know where I can get a C240 Charcoal interior with Sunroof and Bose options (auto of course)? I'm set on Silver, but will settle for white or black......HELP
  • mtroymtroy Posts: 45
    I have the same question as fedssocr. The brochure says heated seats are required if you order xenons. Is that right? I really like the xenons but I do not want to pay for heated seats in SoCal.
  • I have the 320 with the Bose sound system.
    Can anyone tell me where the alleged 10
    speakers are?
    Are there 2 behind the rear passengers.
    If so, mine aren't working.

For those waiting, it is worth the wait.
    The car drives like a dream! I put a 1K deposit
    down in April and received it mid November.

Anyway, speaker input please.
  • w2p2w2p2 Posts: 63
    I have heard some areas of the country there is a longer wait. I am in Georgia and have been told the standard wait is 3 months. I put a deposit of $ 500.00. Got the heated seats also. Cold in the winter down here.
  • Yes. It's true.
    To get XENON lights, you are required to get C4 package. I live in N.CA and Heated seats are great in the morning. I thought I wouldn't need it but I get to use it a lot.

When will COMMAND system be available in US? I don't think it's the map data.. because all other MBs have their Nav system and it works great. It has a high price tag.. (almost 2K right??) but I might consider getting one in my C.(After I check the quality.)
    Daniel.
  • Where do you live? Delivery time is generally three months but location is a factor.

I got my C240 silver/charcoal three weeks ago and love it. I live in Northern NJ, near NYC.

Matt
  • I'm in northern CA.

Anyone know anything about the speakers?
    The manual says nothing about them anywhere.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.