Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• w2p2w2p2 Posts: 63
    I read in the 30 lb. book that there is a vent you can open and shut to keep the console cool. I have looked at the diagram and got a flashlight and still cannot figure how to open the vent. Anyone know the secret?
    Thanks
  • akgeminiakgemini Posts: 1
    I heard from a dealer over the weekend that MB may be shipping the 2002 C320 with a manual transmission. If so, I am sold. Any one else heard this?
  • Some of you might be interested in getting the May issue of "Consumer Reports" in which they test the BMW 330i, Lexus IS 300,Mercedes C320 and the Volvo S60. My copy arrived today. The cars finished in the order I have printed them above. They had some nice things to say about all of them, but seemed to like the Bimmer the best. I would guess the magazine should hit the stands in a week or so.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    i just had my 240 in for tem to look at it re sunroof problems.. they had to "resynch" the switch.... whatever.. it works now!
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    Ratings from Consumer Reports do not mean a thing to me. All these ratings are so subjective. If a person wants to buy a Volvo, he/she is going to buy a Volvo whether it finishes 1st or 10th in a "test".

Car and Driver always has a bias for the "sporty" car, so BMW always wins even though the car may have no trunk space, no passenger knee room, or a horrendous reliability problem.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    by the time one gets to this level of auto,, the differences can become subtle.. al o the cars rated a very good cars! the final choice is subjective andpersonal.. but i have little doubt the beemer is a pretty good car... they have a loyal following. just gimme my benz
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    Are you referring to the arm rest/storage compartment? If so, the lower compartment (the larger) has air vents inside at each side to keep things cool/warm. It has a little knob that opens and closes the vents. It is requested that you do not keep anything in front of these vents to block the air.

Miki
  • max63,
    my guess is that the rims are 400 to 500 dollars a. I wanted a full sized alloy for a 1986 audi 4000cs quattro and it was about $350. The rims are the same size as the standard ones. id' wait until the dealership has some "takeoffs"they'll be much cheaper.
  • I don't put much stock in consumer reports either. and, yes the bmw's do get the nod on occasion. just do your home work,get what you like/want and with a little luck you'll be happy.
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    I"m slinking in here to comment on the sport wheels. max63- I've seen the C240/320 sport wheels, same for either model, on ebay multiple times. I think you could get them with their original tires, 225/55 16 instead of the standard 205/55, for the $500-$700 range. I passed on a set that never sold at $500, and since then I've seen at least 3 others. I've also seen people offering them for sale at MBWorld.net. You may also consider the wheels from an SLK or the 2000 and newer CLK, the earlier CLK rims are ugly in my opinion, they'll all go right on a C320. I've seen these whells sell in that same price range. The ultimate C rims would be the AMGs from a CLK430, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!
  • Max,
    To answer your question about purchasing a C320 with the sport wheels. I purchased my C320 with the sport wheels and the dealer out in Southern California where I bought mine charged me an additional $800 for the wheels. You can order any wheel for your car for an additional charge. AMG supplies many of the wheels for the Mercedes models. I personally didnt like the wheels that are standard on the C320 so I opted for the sport wheel. But you can select any of the other wheels that are the same size. Good luck in negotiating a price.
  • tomsky3tomsky3 Posts: 48
    Consumer Reports tends to look upon cars as appliances. I'm surprised they didn't pick Volvo as the top choice.

Jack
  • sjsubumsjsubum Posts: 6
    I don't care for the stock rims either. I bought a set of sport rims and tires for $850 on ebay last week. This set came from a C320 Sport package and has about 1000 miles on it, virtually brand new. The seller is from my area (San Francisco) so, I avoided the shipping costs. These 5-spoke sport rims come with 225-50-16 Michelin Pilot tires. These sport rims look much better than the stock in my opinion. I am hoping to sell my stock 7-spoke rims and tires for $500 to $600.
  • Hi,
    Well, after doing my "homework" I've decided
    on a 2001 C240 with the sports package. I plan
    to see a dealer (on Long Island) by the end
    of April. I know there's a 4+ month wait ..but
    I can wait.
    A (now distant) second was the Lexus is300 -
    third being an i30, fourth a beemer 330i. The MB *6 speed manual* and the features that are packed in as 'standard' on this car, plus, the fact that
    it's a Merc for goodness sake, clinched it.
    BTW, does anyone - who got the sports package -
    have the time to tell me what TYPE of tires
    come on the 5-spoke rims (Michelin?).

TIA,

Gerry
    (My other car is a Contour SVT)
  • jerry320jerry320 Posts: 27
    just got back from House of Import, and they fixed my sunroof in less than a hour. they said it was some kind of program issue. before c320, I tested both 330i and is300. a new 330i costs about the same as c320, but BMW does not even have homelinks and alarm come as standard. I do wish my c320 come with cd player rather than tape, but this gives me excuses to fix the sound system. good luck to all.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    You will most likely get the Michelin Pilot tires. Great in the dry and wet, but terrible in the snow (they're not all-seasons), so be prepared to switch all 4 for winter tires such as the Michelin Arctic Alpins as the winter season approaches.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jerry320jerry320 Posts: 27
    my c320 non-sport comes with pirelli p6 now instead of Michelin or Continental. I would guess the sports package will come with P6 or better. Too bad I have a set of 17' Borbet with Protezas waiting to be installed, otherwise I would keep the stock.
  • Dennett:

I was about to ask you why you selected 15w50 Mobil 1 to take into the dealer for an oil change. Then I wandered into my local WalMart and found that the only choices were 0w30, 10w30, and 15w50, so I got the 15w50. As cold as it gets in San Diego is as cold as I want to get. I called MB of SD and they quoted me slightly different prices, but I suspect the guy was talking off the top of his head. He did go look at their drum of Mobil 1 and reported that it was 0w40.

Tom
  • Drew:

You seem to have most, if not all, the answers. When I am on the Edmunds boards at home, IE on Windows 98 knows which is the last message I saw on a given board and takes me to the next in line. At work, using IE and Windows 95, when I select a given board on my Favorites list, it always goes to the same message and I have to manually skip to the end of the message list, and then have to back up to the last message I can remember. What am I doing wrong with the setup??

Thanks for the help...

Tom

About This Chat:

Be our guest for an hour of Town Hall Chat Brake! Here is your chance to meet and greet other auto fans. This chat is for those of you who share similar interests, have questions and need answers, or simply want a place to discuss and debate your News and your Views of the auto industry. Bring your sense of humor and race on in to this NEW chat only on Edmunds.com!

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• max63max63 Posts: 72
    Just wanted to thank everyone for information on the wheels!
  • spndxspndx Posts: 36
    Can anyone provide guidance on how to post pictures to this site? I just got my Euro delivery pictures back and would like to share a couple.
  • tariktarik Posts: 344
    In order to post pictures, you will first have to upload them to an online photo album. Most of us use http://www.photopoint.com, where you can sign up for free virtual album space.

You can then either post a link to the album (just log on to the album, copy and paste the album's URL from the address line on top of the screen into your TH message and everyone can go there), or you can select a certain picture, click on "link to this picture" beneath the image, copy the displayed picture link and insert it BETWEEN THE QUOTATION MARKS of the beneath HTML code line, which you place in your TH post. You also need to replace both round parenthesis with the pointed ones:

(img src="")

After you post, the picture will be "pulled" into your message. Don't worry if it doesn't work the first time around, you can always delete the post and try again.

Good luck,

Curious at your pix Tarik

Instead of fighting with my keyboard to be able to keep up with everybody during chat-hour, I decided to post a little.

This is whacky, but probably legitimate for 420 hp and 0-60 in 4.9 sec... ...and a gazillion $$$

What can I say, it's hard to beat a C...

I would love to be locked in at this place for a weekend, of course only if there is a back door large enough for a car to fit... <G>

Daydreaming Tarik

Thanks Tarik. I'll give it a shot.

My C1/2/4 Capri Blue 6-speed awaits at the Sindelfingen Delivery Center...

img src= "See my photo, web2 at PhotoPoint"
    Thanks Tarik. I'll give it a shot.

My C1/2/4 Capri Blue 6-speed awaits at the Sindelfingen Delivery Center...

img src= <"a href="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1627587"&a=12438582&p=45668339>See my photo, web2 at PhotoPoint
    I take the car in the forground is your's, beatiful, congrats (I am green from envy, BTW)!

As to your last message, here is what you need to change:

1. Remove the pointed bracket in front of the first quotation mark, and place it before the letter i of img

2. Erase everything (even spaces) EXCEPT THE QUOTATION MARK between the first equal sign and the letter h of http

This will pull your pic!

Tarik
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    Tom, the prices I mentioned at MB of SD included the ML loaner fee of $10, for gas supposedly and I drove well over a 100 miles, and the oil filter fee of something like $13. The oil change alone was only about $22 so it was the loaner and filter that brought it up to $45. They told it would be $95 if they supplied the Mobil 1!!!!! Let me know what they charge you. I went with the 15/50 because it's what nearly everybody I've spoken to recommends, especially for our part of the country. It's what Drew uses and he's in Canada!
This discussion has been closed.