Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    Why are some messages not being posted? I have had two that weren't posted so far.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Are the messages appearing on your screen immediately after you post them?
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The C-class wagon was just released in Germany. How do you all like it? I think it actually looks pretty nice!

Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • Options
    nikolaounikolaou Member Posts: 2
    DC changer: I understand that the DC changer that BB can install in the glove box of the new I is actually a Backer. If so, can a Backer dealer install a Backer DC changer? Has anyone had any experience with that? (Price?)
    Cell phone: The new I comes prewired for a Motorola Timeport cell phone. MB charges A LOT for actually installing a cell phone. Does anyone have any experience with an independent installer?
  • Options
    nikolaounikolaou Member Posts: 2
    CD changer: I understand that the CD changer that MB can install in the glove box of the new C is actually a Becker. If so, can a Becker dealer install a Becker CD changer? Has anyone had any experience with that? (Price?)
    Cell phone: The new C comes prewired for a Motorola Timeport cell phone. MB charges A LOT for actually installing that cell phone. Does anyone have any experience with an independent installer?
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    If anything like the ML, the car will see that it's not a MB phone and tell it shut itself off.
  • Options
    mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    700 miles and no more check engine light. Whew! Back to enjoying this great car.
  • Options
    husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    But, I do not like the Chrysler-liket headlights - they look :buggy."

Drew (HOST):
    I am not certain whether or not the post appears on the screen right after posting a message. I will check specifically on this message. Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    well,,1st snowfall(minor) has come and gone in nj... the car reacted well in the snow.little or no fishtailing..after all, my last car.2000 3.2tl acura.. always had some torque steer on wet roads or snow.so far im very pleased with the 240.i have about 5,500 miles on it.. and will change oil again at about 7,500... the peace of mind is worth the small expense.. enjoy your cars!
  • Options
    mstexasxmstexasx Member Posts: 3
    My mom has narrowed down her choices to the C320 and Lincoln LS. She is not much of an internet user like I am, so I told her I would try to get some info for her. I have been reading some posts for both cars and was wondering if you guys and girls compared the two cars and what differences you found. The Mercedes dealer said that she would not get the car until June because of the waiting list. For those of you who already have your 2001 C320, have you had any problems? Do you totally love it? Pros and Cons? I did read what Edmunds.com posted as pros and cons, but it was so brief and I figure you can be more helpful. Thanks!
  • Options
    4murphy4murphy Member Posts: 20
    The brakes on my C240 are now squealing even more after they put new pads and rotors on it. Last night I was able to sing along with the high piercing sound as I came to a stop. One would think that a flute was installed in the system. Of course the problem does not occur all the time. Every time that I think it has stopped, it starts again.
    The dealer says that no one else has had my problem. I am waiting to hear from him today about how they plan to fix the problem.
    If anyone will be attending the Auto Show in Detroit next month, look for my silver C240 in the Cobo parking lot with the big Lemon sign posted on it.
  • Options
    jbro1jbro1 Member Posts: 1
    W
  • Options
    cclass117cclass117 Member Posts: 36
    What kind of oil do they use at the factory???
    Was it Mobil?? Which one?
    Thanks.

Daniel.
  • Options
    ... no squealing brakes here on my 240
  • Options
    dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Our 240 is going on 2 months and 2k and absolutely no squealing. I can't believe it's doing it again after all they changed on your brakes, I really feel for you it's got to be incredibly frustrating!!! Keep us posted on how it goes, and exactly how they fix it just in case any of us start to have the same problem. Don't give up yet, I'm sure they'll get it right. How has your treatment been from your dealer?
  • Options
    w2p2w2p2 Member Posts: 63
    If the dealership is being an [non-permissible content removed], contact the area rep. and set up a meeting at the dealership or on a 3 way call. It works every time. MB does not want in general from my understanding any dissatisfied new customers. The dealership may have a swelled head and need a little reminder from MB on customer service. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    ronmendelronmendel Member Posts: 12
    I finally bought my C320 (Black/Ash/C2/K2a) today after driving them and the competitors many, many times. I told the dealer I was planning on buying in the spring, but would buy today if they split the price between sticker $42,500 (MSRP) and invoice $39,289. They accepted and gave me a $1605.50 discount. This worked because it's year-end and they had 10 C-class cars in stock (and 50 E-class, 20 S-class).

Anyway, I'm glad to finally join the C-class ranks, I really love this car and what a nice Christmas present!

ron@superiorsoftware.com
  • Options
    Congrats Ron, it looks like you're the first to pay less than msrp.
  • Options
    flyingfoxoneflyingfoxone Member Posts: 12
    Hi, Ron!

Fascinated to hear of the oversupply of C-classes in your area. Where is that? Here in S. California, dealers have waiting lists for the few C-classes that seem to be just trickling in via the pipeline.

We've pretty much settled on purchasing a C320 after looking very closely at the BMW 330i, and are in the "shopping for the best price" stage right now.

Thanks,

Jill
  • Options
    johnny2000johnny2000 Member Posts: 38
    To all old-timers and all.

Cheers,

Johnny
  • Options
    Jill-

I looked very closely at the 3-series as well (2nd choice was a 325Ci).

I bought my car near where I live, in North San Diego County and they still have a nice selection. I also talked to the MB dealer in Newport Beach who is also being very aggressive.

Feel free to email me at ron@superiorsoftware.com for all the details, but you need to make your move before year-end, so they can "spruce up" their ending numbers.

-Ron
  • Options
    kkuetkkuet Member Posts: 28
    enchante

we got six inches of fresh snow here in michigan last week and the c did better than i thought in the snow. the esp really helps the car out when starting out, thus, you don't really feel any slippage. it plowed through the snow pretty well including some pretty deep snow too. i tried driving it up someones driveway that had yet to shoveled and it was able to drive through it. however, it did get stuck when i tried to go from a dead stop (it was six inches of untouched snow). i was able to reverse out easily though. i also went up a pretty steep slope and it had no problems even from a dead stop. hope this helps.

has anyone confirmed what engin oil mercedes uses for the c. or does each dealer have their own disgression. i've had it for two months with 900 miles and not a problem. haven't driven it much at all cause all of the snow so i've been driving the acura mdx much more.
  • Options
    stuman168stuman168 Member Posts: 27
    i have a neighbor who have silver MDX and C class and as a matter of fact I saw the owner drive around the subdivision after the snow storm
    in his C class. if it's you, will you let me tried your C class in the snow?
  • Options
    robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Hello all,

I took delivery of my C320 on Dec 20, 2000. Yes I paid full list.
    Problem is the brakes were squealing as I drove out the door. I have never had a vehicle make this kind of noise. It is so loud that it can be heard above the radio with the windows closed! This is very disappointing. I'm using Toyota/Lexus as the bench mark and already I have to take this car in for work. This one more time than the Lexus in three years of driving. Mercedes Benz- this is shameful, and not normal! I'll keep you posted but CAUTION YOU NOT TO TAKE DELIVERY WITHOUT LISTENING TO THE BRAKES. It is embarrasing to drive this car.
  • Options
    hal99hal99 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 6 sp. C240 Black/Black,Bose and Roof. The ride/handling lack of road/wind/engine noise and much improved seats really make this car special. I owned two 2000, C230 Sport models this year (Yes, I am in the auto business but do not work for M/B.) I STRONGLY recommend to any 2001 non-sport equipped owner to replace the stock tires with Dunlop SP8000 225-50-16 rubber on the stock wheels. I noticed that many of the SLK230's had this tire on them from the factory and what a difference! The car sticks like glue with much reduced body roll and greatly improved crosswind stability. I did lose 1 MPG in highway driving but it was well worth the overall improvement in ride and handling. They went well in the first light snow fall of the season, even without a snow rating. Does anyone want a new set of factory Continentials?
  • Options
    hal99:
    Be careful w/ them in the snow. Even Audi A4 owners swap them when it snows...
  • Options
    hoppyenghoppyeng Member Posts: 25
    hal99:

what make you to choose this tire?
  • Options
    mrdietmrdiet Member Posts: 16
    As far as good tires, the Pirelli P6000 is probably overall the best. It's cheap, performs really well, is comfortable and quiet. Only disadvantages are low tread life and that it's a summer tire, not all-season. I would imagine all RWD owners switch to snow tires during winter anyway, though.

See ratings of all tires on http://www.tirerack.com
  • Options
    hal99hal99 Member Posts: 3
    I had a set of P6000's on my 2000 C230. They were hard riding and bad in wet weather. I'll have to keep you posted on snow traction with the Dunlop SP8000's. I was surprised how much wider than stock they are.... No clearance problems. I compared them side by side with other 225-50-16 size tires. For whatever reason they are wider!
  • Options
    scottie10scottie10 Member Posts: 6
    I have had my C240 for two weeks now. I did not notice that my brakes squealed until this past week. This noise only happens when I brake to stop. It's not loud or high-pitched, but definitely a squeal noise. Is this same noise that the rest of you with brake squeal problems are experiencing? Also, I cannot seem to program my garage door opener. ( a Sears opener ) The sales person tried to program the opener when I bought the car, but it wouldn't work when I tried it at home. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    allanpfeffallanpfeff Member Posts: 4
    HAS ANYONE TAKEN DELIVERY WITH COMMAND AND IF SO HOW DOES IT PERFORM?
  • Options
    bradfordl1bradfordl1 Member Posts: 18
    HI....interesting discussion.....I recently test drove a C320 and guess what.....the brakes were squealing! I asked the sales guy if this was a common problem.....he said " they are just cold...it will go away" It did not sound like a "go away" problem to me, and , after seeing some of the comments in this forum, I think MB must have at least a sporadic problem with this model.
  • Options
    benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    Anyone,

I am on the road of owning C240, I would like to know if dealer willing to negotiate with price and If yes what range we should negotiate

Thanks in advnace
    Rohit
  • Options
    jackb3jackb3 Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 1999 C230K. It too has had noisy brakes. The dealer has cleaned them, sprayed them and lastly replaced rotors and pads. I feel the dealer has done his best but it has been annoying.
  • Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    Mercedes cannot seem to catch BMW. The new C-Class is evidence of this. Good looking car but not much sport and not much value. Car and Driver even rated the BMW 325, the Audi A4, the Pimpmobile IS300, and even the Volvo(!) S60 ahead of the lowly C-Class. That, coupled with the less than stellar dealership experiences being reported here on this site leaves me little doubt that the Bimmer is the right choice.
  • Options
    Has anybody had the problem and then been able to get it corrected? This is sort of like buying the highend tv and finding out that they put cheap speakers in it!
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I think the article in Car & Driver was somewhat accurate. Maybe that will disuade some people from shopping the Mercedes and go to their BMW dealers. The problem is, the BMW is so darn ubiquitous, but the same can be said eventually about the new C if their sales figures remain the same. But remember that old joke? What is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW ? In a BMW... the PRICKS are on the INSIDE!!! I know that's crass... but I just had to say it. I must agree, that with the discounts you can get on a Bimmer compared to what MB is charging (full list) for a C. The Bimmer is better value.
  • Options
    look... ya want a beemer? get a beemer!...makes ya feel good? buy it!
    wanna feel like you caught someone a "race"..be an athlete.my 240 is
    squeal-less rattle-less,problem-free after 5200 miles.
    as to what youre need for ego fullfillment and youre beemer dreams...as opposed to just enjoying ones car: "if the prick fits...wear it"
    oh... see the new york times review of the c series
  • Options
    What C&D doesn't do (like most articles) is list their selection criteria. If you want a sports sedan, the others are fine. If you want a luxury sports sedan w/ safety as a high priority, the C will do better. It's really a matter of priorities...listing them, making your personal selection by them (does someone else thinking the same way make you feel better?). The mag articles are just guides to help you narrow the field down, but you really have to read between the lines to figure out what their criteria is.
    IMHO:
    BMW 325: best handling, but doesn't do that well in snow (RWD) and not as safe as C
    A4: nice handling, but steering is fuzzy (will be fixed in 2002 model) and great in snow w/ AWD
    IS300: great deal (bang for buck) for boy-racers and would be lots of fun w/ a stick next year; love/hate styling
    S60: safe as C, but not as luxo
    I don't see true 1:1 competitors. I see a spectrum of choices w/ some overlap in some criteria.
  • Options
    My previous car was a 97' BMW M3 Coupe, an incredible performing rocket and the last BMW that I will EVER own. The brakes squealed CONSTANTLY at every stoplight and I was a regular at the service department for a variety of nuisances, mostly electrical.

As someone who has had about the fastest, best handling BMW has ever offered, I can say that it gets old fast. So far, 500 miles in my first 5 days with my C320, I'm in heaven. It's the many subtle things that the morons at Car & Driver haven't even got a clue about.
  • Options
    hoppyenghoppyeng Member Posts: 25
    People are comparing apples to oranges. Here are my ranking

MBZ: 1) Safety 2) Prestige 3) Reliability 4) Sport

BMW: 1) Sport 2) Prestige 3) Reliability 4) Safety
  • Options
    Ok...different topic....what about the cupholder in the c320??? Now there's an important consideration! One of the mags said that "it is amazing but next to useless" Do any of you current owners have any thoughts on that? Not that a cupholder is my determining fact before I choose the bimmer or the C.......!
  • Options
    sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I've used the cup holder on my C320 and found that it worked fine. I don't understand why anyone
    would claim it was useless. No squealing brakes here, although my tele-aid warning light came on
    xmas day. I confirmed that it's working ok by pushing the button and chatting with MB -- they correctly
    identified my location and sent a signal to which my car responded appropriately. I'm taking it in
    tomorrow to have the oil changed and static on the AM radio corrected. Now they can check out
    the tele-aid too. MB rep said it probably needs a software update. I'm still quite happy with
    the car. I had NO interest at all in a BMW 3-series, btw.
  • Options
    doomday9999doomday9999 Member Posts: 4
    Most US auto magazines are biased towards BMW. If you want to get a good comparison go get european magazines.
    Here's a quote from autocar

BMW 330i Manual Sport Suspension: Great Engine, good car 4 stars
    Merc C320 Auto: Sport Suspension Best Ever Small Benz 5 stars

We suspected the new C-class would cause a stir the moment it arrived in the UK. The C200 Kompressor did so, even with a rough four cylinder engine. But with the introduction of the V6 C320, Mercedes has upped its game to a different level altogether and produced the most complete small premium saloon car to date.
    Despite its cracking drivetrain and 3000 pound cheaper list price, the 330i can't match such all-round brilliance.
    But the C320 offers more as a package. It manages to combine all the traditional painless Mercedes ownership virtues with a new-found dash of enjoyment and desirability that up until this point had been BMW's domain. It means that for the first time in 17 years, the smallest Mercedes is a better car than its BMW equivalent. And the best small executive we've ever yet driven
  • Options
    I concede the cupholder is lame, in particular, the passenger side holder which simply is not deep enough to secure any drink. Memo to Coke: bring back those 4 oz. cans so my passenger can have a drink. The driver's cup holder is secured only by the side of the passenger holder device, and even then, it holds only a 12 oz can or a small water bottle. Memo to In'N Out Burger: Your cups are too big. (Oh, nevermind, I don't dare scarf down a doubledouble in this beautiful ash interior.) The best cupholder I saw is in the Volvo S80 -- the holders in the door panel. They are large, convenient, and in the event of a spill, they would spill just on the floor, not over the whole center console.

C&D article: I'm not just being a homer for the MB, but my view is that articles like that, which attempt to rank these cars, are completely useless. I like everything about the features and handling of the MB, and I disliked most of the so-called favorable features of the other cars. (Re: "Pimpmobile IS300 comment -- hilarious and accurate; there is no comparison between these cars.)

Sleake: please let us know what the exact problem is with the AM radio and what they do to fix it. The static is VERY infrequent, so I'll probably wait until the oil change too.
  • Options
    While I really like the car, here are some nitpicky comments.

The a/c controls are very confusing, despite my quality time with the text book. And dual a/c controls = twice the effort.

With the cd in the glovebox (where it should not be in the first place), the box doesn't hold very much. Prediction: By 2002, MB will be highly touting the redesigned C class featuring center console cd changer.

Coin holder: only holds quarters. Ash tray may be a good place to throw loose change. I'm going to try lining it with felt.

"I can't stop my leg." -- Robert Klein. Why does my foot keep hitting and scuffing the lower door panel?

Front seats should have that extra storage area, sort of a bag, at the front edge of the seat, like in the S class and the Volvo s80. It would have been a great place from which to eat my morning Sugar Pops.
  • Options
    love those sugar pops!!hahah
    as to original comment about beemer/mb...keep in perspective that the post came from a driver that currently drives a 95 ford explorer.. soooo take it from there.... id no more trust all car mag reviews... than trust someone else opinion of a "good" Chinese resteraunt!! vie learned my lesson there too!
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344

Hi all,

I finally decided to give the new TH format a try.

After just having come back from five days worth of fun with a C240 on German roads, I have to conclude:

FUN3

This little machine was so much fun, it is hard to describe. Tight as can be on the Autobahn, albeit comfortable, easy in the city, with just a little too much understeer at medium speeds if you ask me. This, of course, is the best setup for the broad target population. The brakes are always up to the job, and they better are since that little rocket will fly, too:

The rated top speed is 235 km/h or 148 mph, a little more downhill...

Although I did NOT exactly take it easy on the Autobahn, my mileage was still around 15mpg! I find this an amazing efficiency for going flat out. BTW, the automatic transmission holds third until 140 km/h (88 mph) and fourth up to 200 km/h (125 mph).

Unfortunately, upon my return to Atlanta, my connecting flight was canceled due to last week's ice storm, and I had the choice to either stay at a hotel or take the only available rental car for the three-hour trip home. When I hopped into the BUICK Century, I felt like the whole world had let me down and I was getting paid back for all the things I had done to my parents when I was little...

A few weeks ago, one of you guys posted his (?) concern about a very noticeable lag when pressing the accelerator, the same thing happened to me while trying to turn left across a busy intersection after a dead stop. I got kind of nervous, and after the delay the car took off in a hurry - but it was still a scary moment! After driving the C for the rest of the day, this behavior was gone - I  attribute this to the adaptive transmission programming, although it could ADAPT A LITTLE FASTER...

An amazing feature is the flash-the-signal-three-times-when-you-tap-the-stalk, it saves a lot of work. Why hasn't anyone invented that before?

Tarik

• Options
    cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    Zeemego,
    Congratulations on getting 5,000 trouble free miles. Since you seem to have your entire sense of self worth tied up in your C-Class I hope it lasts you a long time. As for myself, it is true that I have driven a 96' Explorer for the last few years. Now that I am nearing the end of Grad School I am looking at trading up. Believe me when I tell you that I wanted this new C-class to be better than it is. I prefer the way it looks over the Bimmer. But after so many relatively poor reviews, and reading about negative dealer experiences from mercedes owners here, I think I will go another route. Especially when you consider the fact that the BMW's are rated more reliable and safer than Mercedes the last few years by consumers reports.
    My advice to you would be to focus on the topic at hand rather than personal attacks. I do not know how old you are, but emotionally you need to grow up.
  • Options
    kmerrick1kmerrick1 Member Posts: 3
    I am about to buy a C240 but the dealer told me I would not be happy with the 168 horse poser engine. Says it is sluggish. Is he right ? or is he trying to sell me a bigger Mercedes ??
    Kmerrick1
This discussion has been closed.