Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• dennettdennett Posts: 332
    Let's all get back to discussing our great cars and helping people who've just gotten them or are ordering.
  • diwc240diwc240 Posts: 172
    Really love the extra features MB has included.
    That left rear bright RED Fog light is a "brilliant" idea...pun intended. Do any other manufacturers use that feature in North America ?
    Stopped by my Dealer (unannounced) and in less than 10 mins. he had a tech. adjust the trunk so it closes "softly" now, I was having to "slam" it a tad more than I would like to...

Also sat down with my Salesman (service technician initially with MB) and photocopied a page out of the E 320 1998 E-Class Presentation Guide - Powertrain Page 33 which shows a picture of the V6 engine single overhead camshafts 3 valves per cylinder. "Although roller type rocker arms actuate the V-type engines' valves, hydraulic valve clearance is retained". He thinks this could be an explanation for the "TICK TICK ticking sound we hear at idle. Not easy to explain without a good drawing of the cam and a disk and "zero lash allowance". This V-6 does not have or use "hydraulic valve lifters".
    I'll see if I can present this issue better (maybe with Drew's assistance ?)

Great MB Chat tonight. Looking fwd to JJ's pics later this week !! Cheers.
  • mmc240mmc240 Posts: 4
    I'm a new C240 owner and I really need a little help here~ Remember back then people talked about the "ticking" sound? Did you people who had that problem got it fixed? and what was the problem? I also have another problem that I don't think others have talked about. which is when I get in or out the car, I could hear a sound that I think is coming from the spring. i do not think that is normal 'cause I believe that only happens when the car gets really old..........
    Please, please help me on these issues and hopefully we could go back to where the forum used to be. where people are friendly, help each other out, and focusing on the CAR~
  • michhalamichhala Posts: 375
    Hi, C320buyer -- I live in Brentwood (Los Angeles' Westside), snuggled close to Beverly Hills, Westwood and Santa Monica. I call it "Mercedesville", with humor, for these two reasons.

1. When I last went to my "hand" car wash in Westwood, there were 8 cars going through -- six were black Mercedes: my C320, two CLKs, one E430; one SL600; one SLK320. The other two were light-colored suvs.

2. I had an appointment in Beverly Hills and to find a parking spot I had to go around a short block four times. Each time I went around, I saw at least three to five duplicates of my Black C320 with chrome wheels.

For some reason, I found this all ridiculously funny and a statement about people, human-nature, and neighborhoods.

There are two MB dealers about 10-15 minutes from my house and several more in surrounding areas in South Bay, Long Beach, the Valley, Orange County, Malibu -- all short drives.

Miki
  • pk6pk6 Posts: 26
    Haven't been on for a few weeks..what a shift in temperment round this place. From fun/interesting to near hostile all on account of the C's success and affordability with the unwashed masses. The era of the exclusive star no longer shines as bright as it did. But then, you had to be blind not to see it coming cause that's what happens when you let everyone in.

Anyways, still no probs with my car nearing the 36000 mile mark. Looking to re-tire the orignal conti's if anyone has suggestions/applause for theirs, let me know on the 2000 yr model and earlier forum.
  • pk6pk6 Posts: 26
    any suggestions for removing a tongue from a cheek?
  • fedssocrfedssocr Posts: 90
    I know that Saab also uses the rear fog light in N. America. I think it's pretty cool.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    if you are talking about the seat squeaking... my drivers seat does that.. its not terrible.. but the car is so damn quiet!!! its just annoying!
    gonna have it taken care of within a week or 2 when i can get over there
    other minor things:while getting in or out of the car... my foot hit the speaker grill.. making a small crack in it.. also,one time i accidentally closed the door on the seat belt metallic buckle.. it chipped off a piece of the plastic housing for the door latch on the door.. again... nothing major... but...annoying,.\
    other than that. the car exceeds my expectations.. been doing a lot of highway driving on the garden state parkway(nj) and tpk.. its a very comfortable long trip car.. always pulls faster!got me a radar detector!
    you have to wash before coming in here?
    whatever the reason... it seems that from time to time theres arrives some hostility.... most are pleasent.. willing to share experiences.. and very supportive!
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    Gary, I know you have over 10k miles now, what sort of milage do you normally get? We're getting about 22.5mpg on average. It got 30 once on a 300 mile trip. But 22.5 is the normal each time I fill up and reset. That's a mix of city and freeway driving.
    yeah.. im at about 10.8... im also around 22mph.. a while back i played a bit while driving flipping the odometer screen to the one that gives a running # on milage as you are driving(find that yet?)i found that,as no surprise,milage in the 50-55 mph range was as high as 29occasionally 30!(downhill!lol).. as i appoached the 65-80 mph range.. milage slipped into the 20-22 mph.. but i love driving the car at 80!what can i say?fortunately we have some gas stations in the area that have super at $1.47... so its not a bad pinch on the wallet.
    i recommend everyone find the screen that gives running milage as you are driving.. its both educational(finding the"sweet spot")and entertaining in a way to see how the engine works most/least efficiently vs..the need for speed!!
  • dawindawin Posts: 15
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    Used to have an A4 that had rear fog lights. Nice feature except that some idiots keep them on during evenings when there is NO hint of fog. Quite annoying. The most annyoing thing is FRONT fog lights. I just don't understand why people use them in the NY Metro area when there is NO fog and there is ample light from street lights.
  • nankynanky Posts: 75
    I believe Jaguar has them too........
  • microrepairmicrorepair Posts: 505
    djasonw:

You had to bring up that sore point; FRONT FOG LIGHTS !!! This is also one of my pet peeves. Why oh why do people have them on on perfectly clear evenings with NO fog, NO rain, NO snow, nothing but nice clean air and they have those damn things on so nearly everyone coming at them is blinded. Particularly bad are the Subaru and Pontiac front fogs. They are NOT fog lights, they are WW II anti-aircraft beacons...!!! Aimed horizontally instead of vertically!! Aren't there some motor vehicle laws restricting the use of them? If there isn't, let's campaign for some laws... We need some more laws, don't we ??

Don't get me started on cellphones being used by drivers while moving...!!!
  • tomc240tomc240 Posts: 3
    I just go to the dealer service for tick tick after 3 days old new car, they just change one little parts in the right hand side it's near top with some cables hookup,only 20min then finish, and now the tick tick is less,but still can hear little bit and much better then before,and the truck work fine right now because I didn't hold the button 3-4 second,you guys can try to ask for the service dept. about tick tick question and sorry to say my English is slow,hope you know what I say that.(I don't know what they say the parts name,even in the paper work sheet didn't show,they just write down engine work that all)
  • itabackitaback Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if it is possible to have a cell phone installed after market (either at MB or otherwise) and be able to use the integrated features of the stereo/steering wheel controls as they relate to the telephone??
    at that funny post re WW2 anti aircraft lights!
    oh we know why people do that!it says"HERE I AM DEAL WITH ME AND MY CAR!"
    fog lights on nights like last evening in nyc.. foggy and dreary.. other than that... why bother?
  • jimibjimib Posts: 10
    I just learned my Silver & Charcoal C320 will arrive late April. Maby all the cancellations I have been reading about! Ironically I learned about this as a good friend of mine was test driving a C320 for himself! Oh well! we are doing what we can for the economy! By the way, I paid full price and saved a lot of money doing so. That is, I purchased after "one" trip to the dealership. I own a construction business and at the rate I charge for my time, each trip to the dealership probably costs me $1,000. So running all over town multiple times does nothing for my pocketbook. Anyway I need the car now! That is what I work for!!
  • mac72mac72 Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 97 c230. A rather noisy "rumbling" sound comes from the engine that is obvious both at idle and low speeds. I don't notice a problem with the way the vehicle is running. Is this something normal?
This discussion has been closed.