Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Sedan

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Ford Focus -
Part 3
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• I do remember a while back in part three, that the Focus is a very good snow handler. The ground clearance that the Focus has is better than many cars, and equal to many Suv's, so i think the only thing to worry about is tires. I recommend Bridgestone Blizzak's and i believe Dunlop has a very good snow tire, as well.
    Hope that helps, happy holidays to all!
  • Tis the season. Ah yes, the snow and mistletoe.

It truly is nice to see Foci Sedan owners posting in here with positive upbeat responses. You know, "Love my Focus, going strong after 800 miles!" "2000 trouble free miles on my ZTS sure am loving it" "This car has been flawless, 8,000 miles strong."

I'll reason that most of these seasonal posts are first time Ford owners. Some how the thought of reading " love my Focus, still going strong after 60,000 miles." seems like something out of a Ray Bradbury novel. But heck, I'm just an angry Protege' owner. Prior to that I was an angry Toyota, and Honda owner.

Must be an anti-Ford conspiracy.

Happy Holidays,
    Mark. :)
  • bobk14bobk14 Posts: 17
    Can anyone answer the following questions which the Ford dealer and their customer assistance center could not?

1) Does the Focus have a timing belt or a timing chain?

2) The oil is required to be changed every 5,000 miles, but no time limit is stated. Is there a time limit as well as mileage?

3) Does the transmission fluid have to be changed at 30,000 miles or only inspected at that time?

4) At what mileage should the engine coolant be changed?

This information is not answered in the maintenance book.

Thanks for the replies and happy holidays to all.
  • Glideslope: Ray Bradbury not withstanding we HAVE a 2000 Focus company vehicle with 72,000 on it and NO problems whatsoever. Will be ordering six more on Monday to replace the six 2000 Sunfires that have all started to self-destruct at 40 to 50K.

Floridian
  • We test drove a Ford Focus today. My 6'1" husband was uncomfortable with the head rest pushing his head forward. It is only adjustable up & down...won't tilt..couldn't seem to get it in a good position. This is enough to keep us from buying the car. Darn. Anybody else have this problem?
  • Thanks to all those that have posted about snow. It is coming soon and I am not too keen on dealing with it. Your posts have gave me hope that the Focus will do well. Here's hoping.

I am going to break my own pledge to ignore the negative posts. I am afraid that I can't let wanton ingnorance go to the wayside.

Glide-- Who said you were just an angry Protege owner??? What was said is that you weren't a FOCUS owner. Hence, when it comes to credibly posting about the Focus...there is little. Are you angry? If so, I suggest counseling. As for not seeing posts about having 60,000 miles and still going strong: you have one now, and has it just slipped your mind that the Focus has just recently begun its second year of production?? How many people put 60,000 miles on their car in a year? I am guessing the only one would be company vehicles. So OF COURSE there isn't going to be such posts. Heaven forbid that people would post from their first hand EXPERIENCE and not from what they guess might be a problem.

Hope everybody had a Happy Thanksgiving!
  • tu4tu4 Posts: 4
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Well, I am pleased to report that my 5 speed ZTS performs well in snow (compared to a 91 Saturn coupe I had a few years ago...a similar fwd, 4 banger w/ abs.) I have about 11K on the thing; so far it's been trouble free AND my dealer has serviced it with no hassles. That's unusual in my experience. I consistently get about 33 mpg including 70+ mph daily commutes. As for the cold NE Ohio weather, the heater works quickly and evenly and the engine starts w/o drama. I'm a big guy so I was particularly impressed with the high, supportive seating. The head restraint, BTW, reminds me of the Volvo head restraints. This is much safer than a less obtrusive seat. This is very different than other small cars...it frankly reminds me of the position in my Chrysler Town and Country. (I do wish it had the heated seats the minivan has!) I'm a musician so the CD/radio quality is also a real plus. (BTW, don't use the automatic level control or peak limiter...it degrades the music slightly. I also like to boost the treble +3 for most music.) Hey, let's not get too emotionally involved with these machines. The car, though lots of fun, is just a tool, albeit, in my humble opinion, one that has worked extremely well for me!

My 2 cents!
  • Zippy,

No real need for the personal attacks. Remember, we are talking about an automobile here. Let's try and be adults.

Regards,
    Mark. :)
  • No personal attacks meant. Simply pointing out what I believed to be pretty obvious discrepancies. I asked what I thought to be pretty pertinent questions.
  • I suspect that Protege owners lurk around here because they own a car that is an upstaged media darling. I'm a big guy and the Focus is as small and light as I want to go. So comparisons with the Protege are irrelevant.
    My 2001 ZTS has zero defects so far(1000mi). I continue to be more impressed. I keep expecting to find cheapness and shortcuts considering all the stuff that the car comes with and the price. But so far have found none. The best feature of the car is that it has the ride quality of a bigger car until the road gets twisty then it feels like a sports car. Ford really got the suspension right.
    I have a maintenance question also. Ford recommends 5-20 weight engine oil. I have never seen this oil in stores. Does anybody have any comments on this?
  • I also was a little put off by the headrests, but i put them a little higher (one click up) and it seems to be better...try it.
  • I forgot to mention my Zts is defect free 6900 miles now, since June 20. Only complaint has been a squeel from the brakes in the cold, only in the morning after start up. that is it....
  • When I went in for wheel recall, the mechanic explained my squeaky brakes as the result of moisture between the brake pad (supposedly a side effect since they can no longer use asbestos) and the front disc. He said there is nothing to worry about.

And I just passed 8000 miles this weekend and not a single problem. And NYC driving isn't exactly easy on a car...

peace
  • I have been waiting to receive my recall notice in the mail. I have not gotten it yet. I was wondering if I can bring it to my dealer and have them fixed before I get a notice??? Thanks for any help
  • From, you can definitlely take it in before/ without getting the notices. In fact, I did just that.

When I made my appointment, they just asked me what I was coming in for, so I mentioned the recalls.

Hope that helps...
  • I meant to write:
    "From my experience, you can definitely..."
  • I did not get any recall notice either, but I took mine in for the 5k service and requested the recalls to be performed. But you can definately take it in anytime, call and make an appointment.
  • most dealers do not have a problem with it. however it is in your best interest to call ahead, have the dealer run your VIN # and then check to see if they even have the parts for the recall if your car is affected by it.....
  • Had a light blue 4dr.Focus from Hertz with the SPI 2.0 liter engine and auto transmission for two days this month. Drove the car 635 miles in Nevada and Utah over those two days and was amazed at how comfortable I was. (I'm 6'3" and 230lbs.) Rock solid at 80MPH on the highway and yet very nimble around town. I was very impressed! Wish my '00 Taurus was as fun to drive.