Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus Sedan

Comments

• I also read that there will be no all-new Focus for 2005 (based on the Mazda3/compactVolvo chassis), but merely a "freshening" of the current car. Ford's reasoning is that it hasn't gotten back its investment on the current platform and that the new platform would raise the Focus' price. (The price issue is surely correct--that new Mazda3 can push $23k!!)
  • What you say makes sense, but the tires on my PZEV are speed rated at 130MPH. If what you say is really true, why does Ford not set the limiter to the tires speed rating on the car one is getting. Forget the base SPI car. How much can it cost to make the speed limiter for each iteration of the car??? A few key strokes is all that is required when programing the CPU.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    you can tell a lot of the dash pieces are reused, but the overall shape of the dash pad is more conservative. gauges and switchgear identical i think. doors, seats, console, shifter.

Is the 05 dash the same as the 05 Euro Focus now then?

While the current curvy dash is interesting its not really envogue anymore. They had to change it, but I had wished it had some more pizazz. Tasteful though.

I recently drove an SVT. Loved it. Followed it up with a Mazda3 test drive. The 2.3 motor is so much smoother....dilemma.....scarf a great deal on the loaded up SVT or wait for the 05 ST with the smoother motor?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The interior is the biggest improvement. Very nicely styled. You can tell the Jetta was the style benchmark. I'd be curious to see how good the plastic quality is. The exterior is hardly worth mentioning, but the new tailights and clear lens headlights are an improvement.
    so the million dollar question

Focus SVT now or wait some and get a Focus ST?

when do the 05's go on sale?
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    in '05 the only model available with the 2.3 will be the ZX4 ST and every other will have the 136 hp 2.0 Duratec? Why are they limiting the more powerful motor to the sedan only? Hopefully I'm misreading the press release...
  • I hope they keep the option of getting the 2.3 in the other Foci. If not, I'd get an '04.

The 2005's debut in Detroit, but no sale date has been announced. My guess is April/May.
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    Well, they took a car that stood out for styling and made it generic, from what I see. The angular interior, is "ok" but not at as fun as the current one and they kept the same driver information pod which, being curved, looks out of place. The rear of the car look very cheap to me. Especially since it would appear that they've gotten rid of a separate blinker bulb and are now using the same bulb to be stop light and blinker. This is a reduction in safety.

No, this is not the dash from the new euro focus, though it has some of the cues. The exterior takes some of these cues as well, but it's not nearly as stylish and aggressive as the new euro focus. The euro model has much more class...whereas, to me, this car looks like it belongs on a rental fleet. And, of course, under the skin, this is the SAME Focus (more or less) that everyone is already driving.

Engine choices are nice, but the fuel economy is going to suffer for it (and gas ain't gettin' any cheaper).

I want to see the hatch!
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    The above post regarding the separate blinker bulb reminded me about something I've wondered about. My son's 2001 Focus SE sedan seems to work differently then any other I've seen. The turn signals are not the small bulb atop the tail light but rather the main tail light blinks. His car was delivered in March of 2001 and I wonder if its an oddity or if there are other Foci out there that work the same way. Every time I am behind a Focus that is turning the separate bulb blinks, so is his alone?
  • Ford would be nutz to offer the 2.3 only in the sedan. That idea must be in error. Could Ford be that stupid??? If any Foci should have the 2.3 the ZX3 should for sure have it. The press release must be wrong.
    Don't know what *your* source is, but ford's own website says 26/33 for the old Zetec. I'd say losing 2 mpg ain't worth it.
    Regarding some Foci being built with separate turn signal bulbs and others without... this was a very brief cost cutting measure by Ford... yours is NOT the only one, but it's part of a minority. I've heard rumors that customer complaints caused ford to reverse this, but that's anyone's guess.
    wish they would have upgraded the steering wheel....

the hatchbacks and wagon better have the 2.3 as an option or its 04 shopping for me.......
    I agree, the steering wheel is old hat. They should have taken the wheel from the upcoming Futura or from the European Mondeo. The wheel's angles are more inline with this new design.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    There was an article posted here a short while back that told us the 2.3L will be offered in all future Focus' only you'll have to pay for the PZEV equipment. It, the emissions package, won't be standard on that engine after MY2004.

As for the 2.3L in the '05 ST sedan, note that it makes 150+ HP as opposed to the ~143 of the '04's 2.3L. All Focus models should have the ~143 HP version as an option but you can only get the slightly more powerful copy in the ST sedan which basically replaces the SVT.

Also, remember that Ford is putting all three SVT models on hiatus for a year and there's no guarantee that the Focus will ever wear that badge again. The ST is supposed to be the new "sport" model. Why they chose the sedan is beyond me though.
  • Never mind, about the EPA figures. I had a Focus and it averged about 24 mpg. People on www.focaljet.com say with thier 2.3L cars that they are getting about the same as the Zetecs.

Also, there will be a 2.0L version of the 2.3L Duratec for more milage. The 8v 2.0L is dead this spring, along with the Zetec.
    You averaged 24 mpg?? Yikes, I'm upset when I get 27 and usually get 28 to 30 (01 Zx3) This is 80% highway driving. I calculate the MPG at every fill up (I'm neurotic like that). My morning and afternooon commute speeds are 75-80mph. My Civic with the mini vtech (127hp) got 30-33 and 29 on a bad week.

Clearly, EPA estimate or not, it's moving in a bad direction. Somehow, Japanese engines manage to get bigger and retain mileage.
  • Like others here, my first thought about the 2005 Focus was whether the 2.3 would be available with the hback. Doesn't look that way!! Esp. here in MA, it looks like the Focus hatch will ONLY have the low-emiss 2.0L. A real yawner--decent mill, but not much better than the Zetec. The current 2.3L hatch is the most exciting performance bargain anywhere. Ford blew it..........As for the interior, it's OK, but it looks like the angular interior of a 1980s Mazda 323. Good quality but it doesn't move me.
  • I have a 2004 ZX3 PZEV with auto and ABS, and I can tell you that I would not go back to the 2.0 after having this really super litle car. If Ford drops the 2.3 in the ZX3 they need to have a reality session with a shrink. My best mileage so far, 5900 miles, was 32 on a hiway trip. The worst was 23 driving hard in traffic. I can live with that. Also, no problems so far. The car has been flawless.
  • The above links left no doubt in my mind that the 2.3L hback is history for 2005. Ford has really Sentra-ized and Corolla-ized the new Focus--it'll be a competent small car with a decent but uninspired engine. Even worse, the PZEV hardware robs some power from the 2.0 and it'll be my only choice in MA. I'll bet it'll be weaker than the Zetec! The Focus 2.3L hback is the best-kept performance secret. Even insurance cos. don't know about it. Gone forever.....
  • If this is to be the only year that one can get the 2.3 in a Hback, then maybe my car will be worth more when I trade it for the 2005 Mustang GT. I hope so.
  • bobk14bobk14 Posts: 17
    FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE REPLACED THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS, YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO A REFUND FROM FORD. NHTSA cAMPAIGN id nO. O3v482000, DATED 11/19/03,IS A RECALL(ONLY IF A PROBLEM OCCURS) TO REPLACE THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE FREE FOR TEN YEARS FROM THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE DATE. i WOULD ASSUME THAT THOSE WHO REPLACED THE FDM prior to this recall would be eligible for a refund from Ford. Check it out!
  • There is no proof that the 2.3L won't be an option in the other Focus bodies. The ordering information has not been released.
    there has been some press releases on what will be offered in 05.......
  • Who is right? Will the hback for 05 have the 2.3? What press releases have been out at this time? I would like to read them.
    Regardless of what the 05 has or doesn't have, by 2005 something better from another manufacturer will be around and the focus will still be basically the same car it has been since 2000 and will be the same until at least 2008.

The new Golf in europe has leap frogged the Focus and is the highest rated car in its class. If they can get reliability issues under control here in North America, I'm all over it!
  • The new Golf isn't going to be here for another year, and the next Jetta may not be here till 2006! Besides VW's are overpriced and offer quality of a cheaper car.

The 2005 Focus is coming in a few months, spring 2004, not 2005. The Civic, Sentra, and Corolla (which are Focus comptetition, not VW) will be the same for 2005. What other manufacturer will offer "something better" that year? The Chevy Cobalt is nice, but is equal to Focus.
  • The car I think may be the killer small car is the Pontiac Solstice. I think that car will be produced in 2005. Anyone know anything about this car??